Sign in to follow this  
JTB

Been lied to again!

So, apparently eating breakfast isn't as important as we have been lied to about.

The studies used to promote breakfast, as the most important meal of the day,were known myths.

What's next?

So, apparently eating breakfast isn't as important as we have been lied to about.

The studies used to promote breakfast, as the most important meal of the day,were known myths.

What's next?

The breakfast lobby will produce their own study refuting that study.

The breakfast lobby will produce their own study refuting that study.

The money from the wheat and grain lobby must have run out.

What do Count Chocola and Toucan Sam think about this?

I've always maintained, since the very beginning, that the most important meal of the day was your mom. To me this is just validation. :dunno:

What's next?

What studies? Is it one study you just saw, multiple peer-reviewed studies, need a little more information before I'm ready to concur with your we've been "lied to again".

John Oliver did a piece on scientific studies a few weeks back. A lot of the time media misinterprets research to make for a more catchy headline. And some of the time, the researchers jazz up a press release to get more recognition from the public.

So the best way to ascertain what scientists are actually saying is to read the primary research.

1) I never did that....

2) I quit.....

Is this the thread where we say we hate science? :angry:

Has anyone brought up the global warming hoax yet? :mad:

Skipping breakfast is associated with unhealthy lifestyles and increased mortality from circulatory disease in Japan

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27046951

Breakfast consumption associated with lower BMI, body fat, insulin

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26844187

Breakfast skippers were less likely to meet the Dietary Guidelines for Americans and consumed more empty calories at night. Chronic stress was related to evening eating choices and overall empty calories in the diet of breakfast skippers, whereas breakfast eaters' dietary intake did not appear to be affected by chronic stress.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27161025

Consuming compared with skipping breakfast appeared to improve glucose and insulin responses throughout the day.

http://http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27184288

Science!

The check is in the mail (dated)

I won't come in your mouth. Crassic

You get those two a lot?

Common sense tells me a meal to start your day, to fuel you for the activity of being awake and active is sort of important as compared to eating and then lying down for 8 hours.

I don't need no cotton picking study to tell me that.

Fortunately I'm not a fat ass - I eat breakfast purely for the enjoyment.

I usually just have a bowl of cereal or a bagel, nothing too crazy, does help jumpstart the day

One of the biggest food myths out there is the idea of the Balanced meal. That actually came from The combination of big Food business And the FDA.It is probably one of the biggest Reasons why Americans are so damn fat.

Instead of Focusing on A balanced meal, We should focus on a balanced diet. Let me give you an example.

When I say steak dinner, Most people automatically think oh yeah With a loaded baked potato and Asparagus with a bearnaise sauce, And you got to be healthy so let's start with the cobb salad,And you've got to have warm crusty bread with salty butter.Wow that's a really balanced meal!

So , You start with just eating Nice relatively low fat 500 calorie Steak To a 2500 calorie gut Buster.

If you want to have a steak, great. Have a steak Alone. I promise you you will enjoy the steak Far more than if you're just shoveling Six or seven different items in your mouth at the same time.The next meal? If you want to eat Steamed broccoli or enjoy a nice Asian pear Or a bowl of soup whatever.But the point is, In Americans quest for a so-called balanced meal, we end up having so many calories It's ridiculous.And we end up enjoying our food even less.

There is a reason why so many cultures serve Small dishes IndividuallyOne dish at a time.

The whole balanced meal concept Was because All of the leading food producers Wanted to be on the American table At least three times a day.

Commercials as a kid told me that a balanced breakfast was Oj, milk, cereal, pancakes, eggs, bacon, muffin and potatoes. All at once.

Of course I would believe an op/ed by Dr. Jennifer, who recently received a whopping Master's degree in nutrition over multiple peer reviewed studies.

If I believed everything I read and didn't know how science worked, that is.

You saying she is wrong?

You saying she is wrong?

I'm saying people are more willing to trust an op-ed by a celebrity doctor than actual science.

Dr. Oz, anyone?

From the title I thought this was gonna be a different kind of thread...Had the popcorn all ready to go, am dissapointed.

I'm saying people are more willing to trust an op-ed by a celebrity doctor than actual science.

Dr. Oz, anyone?

Non-sequitur

Is she wrong?

What's next?

Were you watching Adam ruins everything? Because I just saw the breakfast thing on there.

She didn't really say breakfast wasn't important. She said that it's better to not eat breakfast then it is to eat shiity food that's bad for you just because it's breakfast.

Duh. Same to be said for lunch and dinner too.

Much to do about nothing.

She didn't really say breakfast wasn't important. She said that it's better to not eat breakfast then it is to eat shiity food that's bad for you just because it's breakfast.

Duh. Same to be said for lunch and dinner too.

Much to do about nothing.

If you didn't eat breakfast, lunch or dinner you'd starve :wacko:

Again, not to hijack, But what I've noticed Is that I literally have no appetite anymore. I kind of have to force myself to eat.I used to enjoy food. Now, it's just a f****** hassle. Today, I had an egg, a single egg On a single piece of toast And could only eat about half of it And even that was a chore.

I mean, what's the point? I am literally not hungry. And it takes more work To make and clean up Then it does To eat the damn thing.

I think I am finally understanding What my dad was going through. He wasn't being obstinate.If you are not hungry, You're just not hungry.My european friends would come over here and we would go out to lunch or dinner and they would look at the plates and just be disgusted.These days,I see food and it just makes me nauseous.I think of eating a banana Like I used to think of Ironing my khakis.Americans just eat too god damn much.

What do Count Chocola and Toucan Sam think about this?

Apple Jacks...mmmmm :wub:

Again, not to hijack, But what I've noticed Is that I literally have no appetite anymore. I kind of have to force myself to eat.I used to enjoy food. Now, it's just a f****** hassle. Today, I had an egg, a single egg On a single piece of toast And could only eat about half of it And even that was a chore.

I mean, what's the point? I am literally not hungry. And it takes more work To make and clean up Then it does To eat the damn thing.

I think I am finally understanding What my dad was going through. He wasn't being obstinate.If you are not hungry, You're just not hungry.My european friends would come over here and we would go out to lunch or dinner and they would look at the plates and just be disgusted.These days,I see food and it just makes me nauseous.I think of eating a banana Like I used to think of Ironing my khakis.Americans just eat too god damn much.

I have become the same way. Sort of.

I will go several days eating very little. And then on the fourth day go American. Eat a lot of sh!t.

Chinese people are annoying. They eat focking constantly. I mean all damn day. If you are dating a Chinese girl, get ready to spend half your life sitting at a damn table.

And they will not let you beg off. You have to eat. Like six meals a focking day.

Except when the chicks decide to crash diet.

The chick I'm dating is coming over to spend the night tonight. I asked her what she wants to do for dinner.

She said she isn't eating dinner, because she needs to lose weight.

Now this chick is tiny. Let's say something like 5'2 90 lbs? I can, and frequently do, carry her around the house, and it ain't even hard. She will sit in my lap, with her legs over one arm, and watch tv or something. And it doesn't even out my leg to sleep.

So I told her "ok, great, I won't eat either. I need to lose weight too."

"No! You have to eat!"

"Why? You don't..."

"But..."

So I win. Dinner will be had. Since I haven't breakfast or lunch, I will actually be hungry. Yay, rice and veggies again. :lol:

As I understand it, in many Asian countries, They literally do snack constantly. But they don't eat a 2 pound cheeseburger with bacon and all the fixin's.Metabolically, That's a much better way to do it Than having one monstrous meal Every 5 hours Three times a day.

As I understand it, in many Asian countries, They literally do snack constantly. But they don't eat a 2 pound cheeseburger with bacon and all the fixin's.Metabolically, That's a much better way to do it Than having one monstrous meal Every 5 hours Three times a day.

Sure. It's just rice and veggies and a little meat constantly.

The only real health downside to food here is it can get pretty oily.

The thing I both love and hate here is the complete lack of give a Fock about time. A very mannana sort of attitude.

Love it some days. When I have sh!t to get done, it sucks. It's annoying that most things close for lunch. For three damn hours. And if you have A Chinese girl handy, you have to feed her every several hours.

To titans, thats what i hate about working with Hawaii as well. I think they work about 2 hours a day And have absolutely no sense of urgency.

John Oliver did a piece on scientific studies a few weeks back. A lot of the time media misinterprets research to make for a more catchy headline. And some of the time, the researchers jazz up a press release to get more recognition from the public.

So the best way to ascertain what scientists are actually saying is to read the primary research.

This. Also one thing people hate about science is it evolves in the face of better data, unlike cherished institutions like religion. Rather than trying to separate the wheat from the chaff and believing the best data available, it's a lot easier to dismiss science altogether.

Let's face it, Research Cost money.Grants Beget money. Publicity and fear Beget grants.

Look at the research. How is it that aids gets far more funding Per capita Than heart disease and cancer combined?Yet AIDS Impact less people Than car wrecks. Its all about publicity and lobbying.

Don't think that scientists And researchers Are some how far above Compromising themselves For more money personally Or for more money for their cause , Or for just getting their name in the newspaper.

Let's face it, Research Cost money.Grants Beget money. Publicity and fear Beget grants.

Look at the research. How is it that aids gets far more funding Per capita Than heart disease and cancer combined?Yet AIDS Impact less people Than car wrecks. Its all about publicity and lobbying.

Don't think that scientists And researchers Are some how far above Compromising themselves For more money personally Or for more money for their cause , Or for just getting their name in the newspaper.

AIDS and breast cancer do get a disproportionate amount of funding relative to disease burden. I can't speak for the latter, but the funding for HIV research really made a dramatic change in the trajectory of its spread and severity. It really is pretty impressive how a disease that was a death sentence 25 years ago is just another chronic illness today, with mortality numbers similar to diabetes.

But you're right, researchers follow the money and are definitely susceptible to greed and corruption.

Oh Worms. :doh:

The exact same thing this woman is saying about Breakfast can be said about any food at any time of day. Did you read what she even said or clicked the link. She eats breakfast herself. The premise she's making is that it's better to not eat breakfast at all than eat an unhealthy one.

My point is that you can say that about lunch, dinner, snacks too.

I wasn't saying people shouldn't eat. Why would anyone say that? :doh: