Sign in to follow this  
jrbdmb

When do you blow your top waiver priority?

In my main 10 team league, I'm currently at #2 in waiver priority, which never resets. So once I use the #2 priority (or soon the #1 priority) I'll get moved down to #10, and probably not get near the top again until late in the season.

Given these rules, when would you blow your #2 or #1 priority? Is a mid-tier WR (Garcon, Amendola, Thielen) worth it? Is a potential RBBC (Williams, Cohen, Carson) worth it? When do you decide to pul the trigger?

Not sure what you mean. Waivers never reset? Is it a rolling system, but no one else ever grabs anyone? Why would you move down in priority, but not move back up once other people grab players and move down?

Ahhh, the eternal question.

Incidentally this is why we do FAAB and it works great.

But you're stuck in the old system for now so I say only a player that conceivably *could* approach RB1 or WR1 status is worth it, unless you're really desperate for help at a particular position.

So I'd say Cohen, Garçon and Thielen should be considered.

Personally I'd probably pull the trigger on garçon but I'm pretty high on him due to the massive number of targets he should get.

Not sure what you mean. Waivers never reset? Is it a rolling system, but no one else ever grabs anyone? Why would you move down in priority, but not move back up once other people grab players and move down?

It's a rolling system. Most players are smart enough not to use a waiver move on Wednesday morning for a spare DST or TE or 5th RB, so it can take a while to move up from the bottom back to the top. (After waivers run you can pick up whoever you want without affecting your priority.)

Yeah I'm in the same boat. Im sitting at 4th on waivers. I think I'll stay put as there's really nobody I want to drop just yet. Hopefully I move up to 1st

Yeah I'm in the same boat. Im sitting at 4th on waivers. I think I'll stay put as there's really nobody I want to drop just yet. Hopefully I move up to 1st

Same here...5th in waivers......going to cash that lotto ticket on someone better than Cohen, etc.

Take it whenever you need to but don't be wreckless

Usually the best WW players are at the start of the season so I wouldn't be too keen to hold onto it for long

I say if you feel you can get a pretty regular starter or strong bench player, pull the trigger on it

Take it whenever you need to but don't be wreckless

Usually the best WW players are at the start of the season so I wouldn't be too keen to hold onto it for long

I say if you feel you can get a pretty regular starter or strong bench player, pull the trigger on it

Very true. I just mean I'm not going to use it unless I'm getting a for sure starter out of it.

I suppose if I get to the end of the year and there was nobody good enough to use it for a starter then I'm probably doing okay

In my main 10 team league, I'm currently at #2 in waiver priority, which never resets. So once I use the #2 priority (or soon the #1 priority) I'll get moved down to #10, and probably not get near the top again until late in the season.

Given these rules, when would you blow your #2 or #1 priority? Is a mid-tier WR (Garcon, Amendola, Thielen) worth it? Is a potential RBBC (Williams, Cohen, Carson) worth it? When do you decide to pul the trigger?

I have the same scenario as you do, only I am number one.

You absolutely don't use it on a guy that won't start practically every game for you, definitely not on just adding depth.

If you like your starters, why add Cohen, who only got 13 touches and is very light (could be broken easily)? Is Cohen better than your top two runners? Could he play flex? If you answer yes to any of those two questions, then yes, you should consider him because it sounds like you have holes in your team.

In my league, I can only play two RBs, and there is no flex. Cohen would be number 4. So no, I'm not using up my claim on him.

Be patient grasshopper!

Mine is a worst case scenario. I lost D Johnson and still do not think I will burn it this week. My starting waiver position is #6 after a loss with decent point production. The hot RB waiver pickups will be long gone.

Usually the best waiver season is early in the season. You could probably hold this week

Personally I pick up players constantly and don't worry about it.

If you could probably start the player every week and not be upset with their 'average' game, do it.

He who hesitates is lost.

Sitting around clutching your pearls is just gonna let someone else get the early good players who may be headed towards rock solid seasons. Theilen and Cohen are the ones I like the most on your list of folks. Garçon is going to eat up targets but he's not the long ball threat he was years ago. Who knows what Zona is going to do at rb.

If you could probably start the player every week and not be upset with their 'average' game, do it.

Sitting around clutching your pearls is just gonna let someone else get the early good players who may be headed towards rock solid seasons. Theilen and Cohen are the ones I like the most on your list of folks. Garçon is going to eat up targets but he's not the long ball threat he was years ago. Who knows what Zona is going to do at rb.

This is pretty much my philosophy. I might have went against this last night though. I had number one and decided to pick up Corey Davis. I really have a good feeling he is going to be something special, although maybe not immediately because he did not have a preseason due to hammy. So I guess you could say, I'm thinking I will need him in the second half of the season and I've identified my WRs as being my weak link. (Team in signature). I hope it ends well for me. :)

I use it whenever there's a really good asset to be had, whether I expect to start him or not. Good acquisitions can let you trade other players, too. I also use it early in the year if our randomizer starts me at the top. Don't let perfect be the enemy of the good.

I used #2 for Cohen in one league despite needing a WR there after losing Allen Robinson, simply because guys like Kupp, Golladay, and the Jacksonville receivers were already rostered. If Cohen pays off I can try to move someone like Terrance West for a better receiver than whatever's on the wire. I did pick up Kearse after waivers cleared, but he was not worth spending priority.

I think you use your waiver wire spot according to need.

If you have a gaping hole in your lineup, your #1 or #2 priority should be used on the best player who emerges this week or in the upcoming weeks.

If you are happy with your lineup, you may want to hold unless someone really good comes available.

I think you use your waiver wire spot according to need.

If you have a gaping hole in your lineup, your #1 or #2 priority should be used on the best player who emerges this week or in the upcoming weeks.

If you are happy with your lineup, you may want to hold unless someone really good comes available.

Does this post fall under the heading of obvious?

You should definitely get Adam Thielen.

I drafted him in both of my leagues and am not letting him go.

Cohen went for 60% of someone's budget.

In another league I got Galloday even though I had 12th priority.

Yeah, I got Cohen with the 6th waiver pick of 12. Weird.

• Like 1

As a DJ owner, I spent half of my FAAB on Kerwynn Williams. I know that CJ0K is coming back, but when given the chance, KW has performed very well, including high rates of conversion at the goal line, and 5.6 yards/carry - and he can catch the ball as well. He's under 200 pounds, but is considered an in-between-the-tackles runner.

I tried to get Cohen as well, but was outbid. I have Mixon and Martin, and need one of them to come around in order to stay afloat, but I think Williams is as good a bet as anyone at the moment. They let CJ go for a reason. I'm hoping KW is it.

An important point.

I think generally if you've held that waiver spot past, say, week 3 - you've probably failed. The good adds almost always emerge early

• Like 1

An important point.

I think generally if you've held that waiver spot past, say, week 3 - you've probably failed. The good adds almost always emerge early

Agreed. Early in the season you have to jump on the emerging guys NOBODY truly knows about.

I'd tell all new players to never hold onto their waiver position. Odds are new players need the help after a draft.

Plus, holding a waiver pick in case a starting RB goes down doesn't really work anymore. The top RB backups are all rostered/handcuffed already.

I don't let it impact my decision. If I want a guy, I grab him. This is in response to having in the past held on to the top spot only to see guys like Brandon Lloyd (who wasn't quite good enough to burn a top pick) go elsewhere. He proceeded to lead the league in receiving yards. And I wanted him, would have grabbed him otherwise but ohhhh that top waiver wire spot. I see teams pass on guys every year and find myself saying, thanks buddy.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't use it on a total flier. The key to early season FA is volume. Grab as much potential as you can and hope someone turns in to Brandon Lloyd, even if for just one season.

i generally hold and dont jump to rash decisions after week 1. im not entirely sold on cohen, williams or agholar and some other players mentioned (galloday, thielen, cory davis) are all rostered. i lost woodhead and allen is avail (west is rostered) but w/ #1 position, i am staying put unless anybody can make a compelling argument why i shouldn't stay put and who i should snag and why. i do welcome feedback! that said, i still believe there is a yet to be determined lottery ticket out there (it happens every year) and based on record at weeks 5, 6 or 7, i'll need to jump at some point (lottery ticket or not).

last year, i also had #1 spot and having lost keem=nan allen in week #1, i picked up will fuller. luckily, a few weeks later, i was able to get tyrell.

Does this post fall under the heading of obvious?

you'd be surprised how many people dont do the obvious.

i generally hold and dont jump to rash decisions after week 1. im not entirely sold on cohen, williams or agholar and some other players mentioned (galloday, thielen, cory davis) are all rostered. i lost woodhead and allen is avail (west is rostered) but w/ #1 position, i am staying put unless anybody can make a compelling argument why i shouldn't stay put and who i should snag and why. i do welcome feedback! that said, i still believe there is a yet to be determined lottery ticket out there (it happens every year) and based on record at weeks 5, 6 or 7, i'll need to jump at some point (lottery ticket or not).

last year, i also had #1 spot and having lost keem=nan allen in week #1, i picked up will fuller. luckily, a few weeks later, i was able to get tyrell.

I think it helps when you see the players play yourself and try to assess the situation that player is in yourself. AKA if you get caught in the echo chamber and start believing something because you hear it multiple times, THEN you could be in danger. That's why I try to see as much of the games as I can to try to get a feel of how to filter the podcasts, message boards, and websites are saying.

As for Human Joystick (Cohen), he has stuff Howard doesn't have (soft hands and shiftiness) and I think he could be a fun player to own as long as you're not in a situation where you're screwed if he doesn't score 25 points every week. AKA if you have a solid team otherwise and you throw him in the flex as an upside play for the next few weeks to see if he keeps getting 15-ish shots at doing something: 5-8 carries, 5-10 targets, a few returns. And hey...if the Bears are terrible, he's gonna be most of what folks say they want from Bilal Powell. Maybe he's a cheaper McCaffrey with a less-entrenched Jonathan Stewart in his way. Maybe he's a poor man's good season Woodhead. I'm fine will all of those possible outcomes. And I put 50% FAAB on him with a straight face last night.

Not until after the 3rd date at least.

Nothing? Wow. Tough crowd. :cry:

I think it helps when you see the players play yourself and try to assess the situation that player is in yourself. AKA if you get caught in the echo chamber and start believing something because you hear it multiple times, THEN you could be in danger. That's why I try to see as much of the games as I can to try to get a feel of how to filter the podcasts, message boards, and websites are saying.

As for Human Joystick (Cohen), he has stuff Howard doesn't have (soft hands and shiftiness) and I think he could be a fun player to own as long as you're not in a situation where you're screwed if he doesn't score 25 points every week. AKA if you have a solid team otherwise and you throw him in the flex as an upside play for the next few weeks to see if he keeps getting 15-ish shots at doing something: 5-8 carries, 5-10 targets, a few returns. And hey...if the Bears are terrible, he's gonna be most of what folks say they want from Bilal Powell. Maybe he's a cheaper McCaffrey with a less-entrenched Jonathan Stewart in his way. Maybe he's a poor man's good season Woodhead. I'm fine will all of those possible outcomes. And I put 50% FAAB on him with a straight face last night.

I think Cohen was helped by the Atlanta D. He's a shifty scat back and Atlanta does not do well against scat backs. They gave up a lot of receiving yards to RB's last year and this was the perfect matchup for this kid to showcase his talents.

While I agree he should be rostered, I wouldnt want to be in a situation where he was starting.

Not yet at least.....

I think Cohen was helped by the Atlanta D. He's a shifty scat back and Atlanta does not do well against scat backs. They gave up a lot of receiving yards to RB's last year and this was the perfect matchup for this kid to showcase his talents.

While I agree he should be rostered, I wouldnt want to be in a situation where he was starting.

Not yet at least.....

Reports coming from the Bears that Howard dinged his shoulder. That's bad for a power back.

Everything points to Cohen right now. I'll flex him for the entire season the way it's going down in Chicago.

Cohen went for 60% of someone's budget.

In another league I got Galloday even though I had 12th priority.

I got Galloday at 9. I only put in two claims I thought worthy, and that was for Cohen and Galloday.

Even though I didn't need him I love his potential upside and would rather he be on my bench than someone else's team,

Plus the added asset opens gives me more options for trades.

I got Galloday at 9. I only put in two claims I thought worthy, and that was for Cohen and Galloday.

Even though I didn't need him I love his potential upside and would rather he be on my bench than someone else's team,

Plus the added asset opens gives me more options for trades.

And if anyone knows when to blow, it's the spanker.