Sign in to follow this  
Ehlana

Derek Anderson is a starting QB

Colin Kaepernick doesn't have a job, not even as a backup. Isn't Kaepernick at least worth a shot?

I don’t think Kaep is even looking for a job in the nfl anymore. He’s fine doing whatever else he’s doing. He has plenty of money and made a ton from Nike.

Derek Anderson: $1M salary and no expectations to be anything more than #3 or #2. No drama.

Kaepernick: Wants a $9-10M plus salary with the expectation to start. High drama.

These two things are not the same.

Derek Anderson: $1M salary and no expectations to be anything more than #3 or #2. No drama.

Kaepernick: Wants a $9-10M plus salary with the expectation to start. High drama.

Derek Anderson: A bland, inoffensive veteran backup

Kaepernick: Would risk alienating a large portion of a team's fanbase.

Colin Kaepernick doesn't have a job, not even as a backup. Isn't Kaepernick at least worth a shot?

Same argument as the last 200 months of talking about this.

If Kaeps skill was > than the circus he'd bring, he'd have a job. An NFL team isn't going to risk a media circus (NFL media and political media) and locker room division/distraction, over a mediocre player.

The suggestion that franchises won't sign him because they don't like his positions, and thereby suggesting they are racist, is absolute nonsense.

He's just not worth the downside.

I suppose I hadn't really considered the salary cap ramifications. And I can see why a team with a young QB (Jets, Browns, Cards, etc) wouldn't want to bring in Kaepernick to stunt their young guy's growth. I don't really buy the distraction argument though. Win and the distractions will go away imo.

I suppose I hadn't really considered the salary cap ramifications. And I can see why a team with a young QB (Jets, Browns, Cards, etc) wouldn't want to bring in Kaepernick to stunt their young guy's growth. I don't really buy the distraction argument though. Win and the distractions will go away imo.

Maybe. But he also probably wouldn't win. He was/is not good.

But he doesn't win. And how on earth could you not buy the distraction argument? Really?

The crazy thing, Derek Anderson will be a major upgrade from the other two. The offense has been monumentally pathetic anyway.... Quite possibly the worst offense ever put together in NFL history... It has no where to go but up.

Get someone capable of game managing along with that defense, Buffalo can make some noise.

• Like 1

If Kaepernick was an elite QB he would be playing QB in the NFL. Unfortunately he stinks ! He had a good season in 2013. I think 24 total tds. His suckness first and foremost is keeping him out of the league then the distraction that he brings is the next problem.

If memory serves me correctly... Kelvin produced very well when playing with Anderson. Certainly teams in different situations.... but anyone thing Benjamin is worth a flier in deep leagues?

If this is actually the money he is asking for, its easy to see why he is not employed.

even if he was asking for a much more reasonable 5 million, it is debatable whether teams would bite.

The best comparison among players not on a rookie contract in terms of production and value is probably Fitzpatrick. He is a top end backup who is capable of putting up good numbers as a starter, but who lacks the consistency to hold a starting job.

I'd argue Kap is in the same boat.

Fitzy is making 3 Mil.

even if you argue Kap is worth a bit more, I'd still say he tops out at 4-5 mil. if he is asking 9-10 M that is why he does not have a job.

the controversy regarding Kneeling likely plays a role in that, but if that matters to a team, it only likely means you are not willing to overpay for that player or you maybe are not willing to pay the top end of the acceptable range for him.

that being said, I believe a fair salary range is 3-5 mil per season. The only way you pay beyond the top end of the range is if your starter is hurt, and your depth chart looks terrible.

Kaps other problems is not all offenses are designed with a running QB in mind, so some teams literally cannot sign this guy because his skillset does not match the scheme the team has or is capable of using.

I'd also argue you want/need an offense that is designed to use a player of his talents (running QB)

Seattle, Green Bay, Carolina, and Pittsburgh all have running QB's as starters. The Chiefs have Andy Reid who has handled McNabb and Vick in the past, and could probably make Kap work in their Scheme. But Kap would need to be willing to sign on to be a backup and accept Backup money. (which is something he may not be likely to do)

The Ravens developed Tyrod Taylor so they are a candidate, but they also have RGIII signed for less money, so while possible, that is not a legitimate option at this time.

The 49'ers probably could, but because he refused to play for them in the past, that is likely not an option.

Ditto for Denver

I'm not sure what other options are good fits. and the small pool of teams (it is possible I missed one or two potential options) likely means he is not going to be offered the high end of the range, he will be offered the low end or possible the midpoint of the range.

if he has made it clear that 8-10 mil is his range, a lot of teams will balk at that and wont even bring him in to discuss it.

That being said, I do not know that this is actually what he is asking. All I am saying is if this is actually what he expects for cash, he will be sitting a long time.

The crazy thing, Derek Anderson will be a major upgrade from the other two. The offense has been monumentally pathetic anyway.... Quite possibly the worst offense ever put together in NFL history... It has no where to go but up.

Get someone capable of game managing along with that defense, Buffalo can make some noise.

The Browns when they had Braylon Edward's went multiple games in a row without a TD. That offense was the worst I can remember