Sign in to follow this  
MDC

Do you like reading on a Kindle?

17 members have voted

1. 1. Yay or Nay

• Yes
    • No

I have a Kindle Touch that someone gave me from Christmas. I really hate reading on it - after staring into a computer screen all day I don't feel like reading on one and miss having an actually paper book. I was also surprised to see that the Kindle doesn't give off light - it's actually harder to read than a real book IMO.

On the plus side it's really hard to find the books I want to read, especially since so many book stores are closing, so it's definitely the direction we're moving in. Just wondering how other Kindle owners feel about it? Is there a better e-reader out there? I'd be reluctant to buy the B&N version since they could go under like Borders.

:dunno:

I love my kindle, it's really nice app on the iPad too, it makes it a lot easier when I go on the road

I like mine....feel like i read a whole lot faster on that thing......not sure why.

I like mine a lot. I tried an Ipad first but it was too hard on my eyes to read for any amount of time. I also love the fact that I can vary the font size to account for whethe I have my contacts in or not. My big complaint with the Kindle would also be the lack of a light source. I was pretty disappointed with that as I do a lot of my reading in bed after the wife has gone to sleep. It's nice to be able to turn a page with just the touch of finger in bed though, especially on cold nights. The battery life on those things is awesome as well.

I voted yes, although I still prefer a paper book if I have an option. The kindle is nice for traveling around, and I find the size (I have the normal or smaller one) is such that my eyes get into a good rhythm moving from line to line, so I think I read faster.

If I'm reading work related stuff (i.e., if I want to highlight and make notes), I definitely prefer paper. The kindle theoretically has these capabilities, but fock that. Although it has an interesting feature where it shows where other readers have highlighted passages the most.

I haven't read a real book in two years...

I read exclusively on my iPhone or iPad. For people who say it's hard on the eyes-I use the sepia setting and turn the brightness down and that seems to work for me. It did take a little getting used to, but now I couldn't imagine going back.

I haven't read a real book in two years...

I read exclusively on my iPhone or iPad. For people who say it's hard on the eyes-I use the sepia setting and turn the brightness down and that seems to work for me. It did take a little getting used to, but now I couldn't imagine going back.

I read off of an iPad too and like it. We also have a Kobo Reader and that works very well in the daytime...especially good in sunny locations, which the iPad has difficulty with.

I have a Kindle Touch that someone gave me from Christmas. I really hate reading on it

You Flat Earthers really need to get with it.

You Flat Earthers really need to get with it.

Do you ever get tired of being an old man who acts like a child? Serious question.

Anybody else have trouble getting into using the Kindle?

I have a Kindle App on my Samsung Galaxy S2. I just tried out my first book (Clash of Kings) and I love it.

I can read it at times when I would read a book (before bed, on a plane, etc.) but I can also read some it when I am on a crapper or waiting in a line.

Easy on the eyes too.

if you want to read outside you have to get one of the models with 'E-ink', the other screens have so much glare you can't see them well outside...

I don't like them personally, but know alot of people that do. :dunno:

I have a Kindle App on my Samsung Galaxy S2. I just tried out my first book (Clash of Kings) and I love it.

I can read it at times when I would read a book (before bed, on a plane, etc.) but I can also read some it when I am on a crapper or waiting in a line.

Easy on the eyes too.

I love that part too. I can read my Kindle at home, and I can sync my Ipod with it and always have whatever book I'm reading right in my pocket.

Do you ever get tired of being an old man who acts like a child? Serious question.

Anybody else have trouble getting into using the Kindle?

The only person I know who doesn't like the Kindle is my Dad and he is 94. HTH

The only person I know who doesn't like the Kindle is my Dad and he is 94. HTH

No, it doesn't help at all. Not one bit.

No, it doesn't help at all. Not one bit.

Do you have the option to choose the background color on the Kindle touch?

Do you have the option to choose the background color on the Kindle touch?

I've barely used it. The screen is very dim. I bought 2 books on it that I haven't read cause it was such a chore. There are very few bookstores in Philly now and I can't find what I want. I realize I've got to learn to like my Kindle. :(

I've been reading E-books for close to 10 years now. Started with small "pocket pc's" BEFORE smart phones and tablets. Like the Dell Axim and the like.

I finally switched to a droid a couple years ago and use the FB Reader app.... it uses the epub file format and you can use Calibur to convert almost anything into that format. Pop it into your phone and away we go! I've read hundreds and hundreds of books in e-format.

I used to use microsoft reader which was a .lit file but whatever.

Thing I didn't like about the Kindle when it first came out was that the screen wasn't back lit.... FOCK THAT.

On the pocket pc's...and the smart phones you can backlit your book for darktime reading.

The ONLY thing that pisses me off about them.... the 15 minutes the stupid airlines won't let me read on take off and touch down. :thumbsdown:

I love my kindle

easy to bring anywhere.

durable.

battery lasts for a month.

doesn't hurt my eyes when I read for too long, unlike the ipad

I've barely used it. The screen is very dim. I bought 2 books on it that I haven't read cause it was such a chore. There are very few bookstores in Philly now and I can't find what I want. I realize I've got to learn to like my Kindle. :(

Since I don't actually have a Kindle, but I do use the app, I'm not sure how much of this will apply.

See if you can change the background color. I found that the only background that didn't strain my eyes was Sepia. They also have a black background with white type that isn't too bad either.

Also, force yourself to use it and don't switch back and forth with paper books, it may make the adjustment quicker that way.

See if you can change the background color. I found that the only background that didn't strain my eyes was Sepia. They also have a black background with white type that isn't too bad either.

I changed the background light on the Ipad settings page to brighten the Ipad itself. Then reading via Kindle app was much improved. Tho it drains the battery much quicker.

While I prefer a book, I like the Kindle particularly when I'm traveling, or when the book is otherwise huge. When I was in the HImalayas last year I read 9 books, which I couldn't have done otherwise, as toting around 9 books would have been impractical.

I've been reading E-books for close to 10 years now.

Me too - Angels and Demons was my first ebook. Have read on palm pilots to various phones and kindle. I in all of those years probably paid for 10 to 15 books - usually wifey bought them and we both read them.

I downloaded a file with over 600 ebooks and more recently 125 NY Times best sellers - they are out there - look for them or PM me.

I tried reading on a kindle once and hated it. I stare at a computer screen all day at work so it's the last thing I want to do in the evening. That said I didn't make an effort to get used to the kindle so I may try it again in the future.

I tried reading on a kindle once and hated it. I stare at a computer screen all day at work so it's the last thing I want to do in the evening. That said I didn't make an effort to get used to the kindle so I may try it again in the future.

Agreed. I kind of have to get used to the Kindle though, because bookstores are going the way of the dingo. What kills me is that Kindle versions cost roughly the same as a paperback. No costs for the brick and mortar store, employees, shipping, etc. and no actual paper book but I pay the same amount for the content.

Wonderful. Thanks a lot dooshtards. :rolleyes:

Agreed. I kind of have to get used to the Kindle though, because bookstores are going the way of the dingo. What kills me is that Kindle versions cost roughly the same as a paperback. No costs for the brick and mortar store, employees, shipping, etc. and no actual paper book but I pay the same amount for the content.

Bookstores might be a thing of the past, but I think books...like actual tangible books aren't going anywhere....I hope.

I've got an ipad and have read a few things on it....but don't like it nearly as much as an actual book. Also, do you have to pretty much buy everything you want to read? Isn't there like an e-library offering the same titles as a regular library? I read a lot of books and would hate to have to purchase every one before actually having read it.

Bookstores are going out but places like Amazon will be around for a while.

And the price is another reason I don't like kindle. If memory serves me correct, kindle books were a lot cheaper than actual old-school books when they first came out, for the reasons you identified. But then greedy publishing companies realized they could charge more for the rights to the book to make up what customers usually pay for the physical product, shipping, labor, store space, etc. :thumbsdown:

Yeah thru your local library via OverDrive - http://www.overdrive.com/default.aspx

The waiting lists are atrocious. Locally in my library The Hunger Games (although I know popular) had 4 copies and 476 people on the waiting list. :thumbsdown:

Agreed. I kind of have to get used to the Kindle though, because bookstores are going the way of the dingo.

:huh:

I have a Kindle Touch that someone gave me from Christmas. I really hate reading on it - after staring into a computer screen all day I don't feel like reading on one and miss having an actually paper book. I was also surprised to see that the Kindle doesn't give off light - it's actually harder to read than a real book IMO.

On the plus side it's really hard to find the books I want to read, especially since so many book stores are closing, so it's definitely the direction we're moving in. Just wondering how other Kindle owners feel about it? Is there a better e-reader out there? I'd be reluctant to buy the B&N version since they could go under like Borders.

:dunno:

I love my kindle. And it is actually sharper resolution than paper. That is why it is not backlit... so it ISNT like starting at a computer screen. If you want the backlit, makes your eyes bleed, get a kindle fire or an Ipad.

I resisted it for a long time, but now I vastly prefer to buy books on kindle than paper. Cheaper, easier, more selection, more convinent... its a winner all around.

And the best part... It is letting authors publish WITHOUT having to clear corporate publisher's crap. There is a lot of self published stuff on amazon that is as good or better than traditional publisher fare, and about 75% cheaper too.

While I prefer a book, I like the Kindle particularly when I'm traveling, or when the book is otherwise huge. When I was in the HImalayas last year I read 9 books, which I couldn't have done otherwise, as toting around 9 books would have been impractical.

What did you do in the Himalayas? I am going to climb Denali next month and contemplating what to do in the down time.

dingo... dodo... who's counting?

He may have meant dingo, dodo. My link
Does Extinction Loom for Australia's Wild Dingoes?

John Roach for National Geographic News

Wild populations of Australian dingoes may go extinct within 50 years unless steps are taken to prevent crossbreeding with domestic dogs, scientists and conservationists say.

Like North American gray wolves, dingoes maintain strong social structures. Genetic evidence suggests Australian dingoes descended from a small group of ancient dogs—perhaps a single pregnant female—brought to Australia from Indonesia about 5,000 years ago.

Alan Wilton, a senior lecturer in genetics at the University of New South Wales in Sydney, said pure dingoes are in decline mainly because they breed freely with feral European domestic dogs, creating fertile crossbreeds.

"The process is continual and insidious," Wilton said. "It is like dropping some ink into a bucket of clean water: It will spread until all you have is murky water."

Wilton and his colleagues recently analyzed the DNA of hundreds of wild dingoes across Australia and found that nearly 80 percent of them are crossbreeds. Wild pure dingoes may be extinct in 50 years, the geneticist said.

In the future paper books will be battery-powered. :thumbsup:

What did you do in the Himalayas? I am going to climb Denali next month and contemplating what to do in the down time.

I am very much looking forward to the thread where you tell us about climbing McKinley. :thumbsup:

Wifey got me the Kindle Fire for Christmas and I love it because:

It gives off its own light, so you can read in the dark no problem.

Can buy a book without leaving the house.

Other web capabilities on the fire using wi-fi.

Wifey got me the Kindle Fire for Christmas and I love it because:

It gives off its own light, so you can read in the dark no problem.

Can buy a book without leaving the house.

Other web capabilities on the fire using wi-fi.

Does it make your eyes hurt?