Sign in to follow this  
Cruzer

**Golf Talk** thread

you didn't get a gap wedge with your set of 1.0's? that set is 4-AW no? AW being a gap wedge

Na, didn't need it at the time - got a better deal instead.

It's a great morning out here - sunny and light breeze. Watched Fowler, Toms, and Rho fir a while on the range - headed out for a beer and the course now to follow some groups. :thumbsup:

Na, didn't need it at the time - got a better deal instead.

It's a great morning out here - sunny and light breeze. Watched Fowler, Toms, and Rho fir a while on the range - headed out for a beer and the course now to follow some groups. :thumbsup:

Nice enjoy

Following Fowler, Kelly Kraft, Peter Uhlein, and Triangale. Only about 60 of us, right next to them on every shot... 247 yard par 3, down breeze - all hit hybrids cept Trangale - he nutted a 2 iron to about 15 feet.

Dufner is in a zone right now - damn he's hitting it well and playing solid. Leading again, 2 under for the day. :thumbsup:

Dufner is in a zone right now - damn he's hitting it well and playing solid. Leading again, 2 under for the day. :thumbsup:

gotta pay for his new wife to buy sh1t.

think she married his frumpy ass for free?

Well I finally did it - I am an official card carrying member of the belly putter club...... Took my Studio Select Scotty in and had it converted into one. After a few adjustments I think I have it right where I want it. Putted lights out this weekend, was extremely pleased with the 6 footers and in. Will take some getting used to on lag putting, but that just comes with reps.

Anyone notice? 2 of the last 3 major winners won with belly putters....

Well I finally did it - I am an official card carrying member of the belly putter club...... Took my Studio Select Scotty in and had it converted into one. After a few adjustments I think I have it right where I want it. Putted lights out this weekend, was extremely pleased with the 6 footers and in. Will take some getting used to on lag putting, but that just comes with reps.

i have a belly putter too. it's only mid length, im too cheap to get a longer one. I just bend over more and don't suck it in.

I just bend over more and don't suck it in.

Whereas normally when you bend over, you do suck it in ya. :thumbsup:

Whereas normally when you bend over, you do suck it in ya. :thumbsup:

If it helps win me the hole, you bet I do :banana:

Belly putters have never felt right to me, probably because I just try the standard ones on the floor. At 6'2 the long putters almost feel more like belly putters to me.

I'm a decent putter but every now and then I just can't putt it in the ocean

As much as you find time to play they should be automatic anyway.

Step out to 6-10 feet, sink at a 50% rate, and then give me a call. :wave:

Well I finally did it - I am an official card carrying member of the belly putter club.

Even though my game is a mess right now and you would beat me by 10 shots if we played tomorrow, I now consider myself to be better at golf than you.

:bandana:

Even though my game is a mess right now and you would beat me by 10 shots if we played tomorrow, I now consider myself to be better at golf than you.

:bandana:

Ha, it wasn't an easy decision for sure. I still can't believe I am using one - but let me tell you, wow do they really help stablize the stroke. Like most I was a really good putter when I was a kid and thru my early 30's - then the wall hit. The last few years I've sucked ass on the greens - now I have a bit of confidence back. Tell you another thing - it takes a ton of pressure off of your back when you use it. Practiced for an hour after playing Saturday and never had a back twinge like I used to with my old style......... I actually played the Resort Saturday bcoz our course was closed for a wemmins tournament. Shot 75and felt like I left at least 4 out there. They sell tall boys out on the golf cart - I hate when they do that.

Annual Diamond Cup starts 2morow - 4 day golf tournament full of debauchery, booze, and gambling. :banana:

my handicap is 12.7 my quota in 2 leagues is 12

my league final is Sunday at 9 am

my handicap is 12.7 my quota in 2 leagues is 12

my league final is Sunday at 9 am

You'd kick my ass right now. Thus far this year I haven't broken 80, and I am going to other way right now as I've put up a 90 and 91 the last 2 weeks. :thumbsdown:

You'd kick my ass right now. Thus far this year I haven't broken 80, and I am going to other way right now as I've put up a 90 and 91 the last 2 weeks. :thumbsdown:

my gpa index is 12.9, my home course handicap is 14 (i just checked my card)

I don't think I'm that good though, I still hit drives that aren't very good and irons that don't go more than 30 feet off the ground.

Far less than before, but it still happens.

For me this year it's all about putting. I've had 1 - 3 putt in the past couple months

eta: my scores on my handicap card (most recent 1st) 78, 80, 86, 84, 90, 89, 90, 85, 93, 90, 90.

my gpa index is 12.9, my home course handicap is 14 (i just checked my card)

eta: my scores on my handicap card (most recent 1st) 78, 80, 86, 84, 90, 89, 90, 85, 93, 90, 90.

I don't know - based on your scores you seem like a legit 12.9 to me, maybe even a little lower. You'd be good to have in a 2-man tournment with the strokes you get. :thumbsup:

I don't know - based on your scores you seem like a legit 12.9 to me, maybe even a little lower. You'd be good to have in a 2-man tournment with the strokes you get. :thumbsup:

If you saw my swing, you'd think differently. :lol:

People play with me and they say "how the fock do you hit the ball straight or hit the ball at all"

I don't know, but I'm not changing it now.

People play with me and they say "how the fock do you hit the ball straight or hit the ball at all"

I don't know, but I'm not changing it now.

Assuming you are playing a legit course, those seem to be the scores of a 13 handicap.

I peaked last year at 10.3 I think, and similarly I didn't feel I hit the ball well enough to be approaching single digits. I'd usually feel like I only hit 3-4 good drives per round, but the key was that my poor drives still went 200ish yards and they managed to stay in play.

Then I'd probably only feel like I hit 5-6 great irons per round, but the rest would all somehow find a way to end up within 20 yards or so of the green.

The whole key is chipping and putting. Assuming I hit 5 greens per round, that's at least 5 pars. Then I have 13 tries to get up and down. If I can manage to do it 5 of 13 times, I'm shooting an 80.

Point being, if you've only 3-putted once in recent months, then that is what it takes. A good short game.

The whole key is chipping and putting. Assuming I hit 5 greens per round, that's at least 5 pars. Then I have 13 tries to get up and down. If I can manage to do it 5 of 13 times, I'm shooting an 80.

What an interesting way of looking at it. never thought of that. :thumbsup:

What an interesting way of looking at it. never thought of that. :thumbsup:

Simplified...For me the key isn't hitting badass pure drives and badass pure irons. The key is to simply not hit total fockup shots. Just get the ball in the general area of the green in regulation, then try and get up and down.

I shot a 41 with 3 greenies and only 1 double bogey (drive OB) last night. lipped out 2 birdie putts. I've been playing a lot, that helps.

par 27 ?

Lee Trevino used an open stance, very strong grip, and pushed the ball - they said the same thing about him. :D

Lee Trevino used an open stance, very strong grip, and pushed the ball - they said the same thing about him. :D

I have only played with Ed once, but I can assure you that not once did I ever think of him as being similar to Lee Trevino. :lol:

I have only played with Ed once, but I can assure you that not once did I ever think of him as being similar to Lee Trevino. :lol:

Truth.

However, Drobeski did have the same exact body type as him.

You are fat i am jacked

:thumbsup:

Was a great week - finished up 2nd, our 2-man team took $3100 cash and $500 in pro shop credit to split. One of the coolest parts was that we were paired with the leaders the final day - in that group was Dallas Stars great Richard Matvichuk. He's cool as hell, partied a lot with him over the 4 days. :thumbsup:

Was a great week - finished up 2nd, our 2-man team took $3100 cash and $500 in pro shop credit to split. One of the coolest parts was that we were paired with the leaders the final day - in that group was Dallas Stars great Richard Matvichuk. He's cool as hell, partied a lot with him over the 4 days. :thumbsup:

Sweet. Always fun to cash in an event. :thumbsup:

I played in a 4-Man tournament this weekend too. We finished 2 shots out of the money. I was the D player and had three birdies on Sunday. Only one less than our so called 'A' player.

The format was a 'Texas Scramble', and since you are from Texas I figured to ask you if you've heard of this format. All four players tee off, the team takes the best drive, and then each player plays their own ball out from there. Count two best scores. It was a really cool format, a hybrid of captains choice and best ball. :thumbsup:

Played Saturday.

I missed a 3 foot par put on #1. A 2 foot par putt on #2. 3 putted from 8 feet on #5....and after that I started putting badly.

Shot a 91 on a course I shot an 80 on 6 weeks ago. :doh:

I played in a 4-Man tournament this weekend too. We finished 2 shots out of the money. I was the D player and had three birdies on Sunday. Only one less than our so called 'A' player.

The format was a 'Texas Scramble', and since you are from Texas I figured to ask you if you've heard of this format. All four players tee off, the team takes the best drive, and then each player plays their own ball out from there. Count two best scores. It was a really cool format, a hybrid of captains choice and best ball. :thumbsup:

I have played that format several times. Called by different names ("bramble"). I think that it is good for golf outings with players of mixed abilities. It gets people off the tee, but it does not slow things down as much as a regular scramble because you can play ready-golf after the 2nd shot.

Yea, we actually played this on the final day - most commonly referred to as a Shamble. I like it bcoz unlike normal Best-Ball format, you can't really hide your weak guy in a team format, least not in a 2-man tournament.

I am playing in a 2 man event this Saturday.

9 holes = better ball

9 holes = Alternate Shot

9 holes = Scotch ( I think it's the same format as the Texas Scramble)

Congrats on the great week. But I have to call you out on using the word "great" to describe Richard Matvichuk. I am sure he's cool as hell and all that, but the dude averaged maybe 3 goals and 15 points a year in his career. Servicable is probably more like it. That being said, hockey players generally speaking can hit the fock out of a golf ball.

Ryder Cup week as well :headbanger:

Prolly my favorite golf week of the year outside of the Masters :thumbsup:

Congrats on the great week. But I have to call you out on using the word "great" to describe Richard Matvichuk. I am sure he's cool as hell and all that, but the dude averaged maybe 3 goals and 15 points a year in his career. Servicable is probably more like it. That being said, hockey players generally speaking can hit the fock out of a golf ball.

I'll admit to not being much of a hockey insider - but I do know Matty played almost 800 games in the NHL, over 730 as a Dallas Stars. Not sure about what's expected out of a defensive presence - but I'm sure his worth was measured in things other than goals. And for sure he can hit it, but believe it or not the best part of his game is his short game. The guy is really good from 100 in - and his putting stroke is damn near flawless....... Had some good stories for the week - the topic of the current lock out came up. Said it is so focking stupid, said it is going to go on for a while - sees no end in site.