Sign in to follow this  
Cruzer

**Golf Talk** thread

Will someone step up and and start a geek golf outing?

it would be focking PHA-NOMANAL as Jim Rome says it.

Or someone get it going. I'll be involved, as I think most people trust me.

NO-MANANAL? Count me out. :thumbsdown:

Anyone play the Cleveland RTX 3 wedges?

Need a new wedge. Have a gift card to dicks. I've got plenty of dicks already so figured why not a new 56*

I'm not a big fan of the V-Sole grind on wedges - so I've never really hit the RTX 3... I still play the Cleveland CG 15 wedges - favorite wedges ever... I've been lucky to find new ones still on eBay after my grooves wear out.

everyone put their handicaps in, we can make teams and then laugh at how no one is near their handicap

Anyone play the Cleveland RTX 3 wedges?

Need a new wedge. Have a gift card to dicks. I've got plenty of dicks already so figured why not a new 56*

Maybe 6 months ago I replaced my 56° Vokey with the 54° RTX 3 Cavity Back.

I absolutely love it. The Vokey felt a bit heavy to me (particularly on full swings), whereas the RTX 3 is smooth. Cleveland moved the weight out more towards the toe, and it actually allows me to play more creatively.

Thanks for the quick replies on the RTX 3 Guys I currently play a very old vokey oil can that definitely does not have conforming grooves

So I've been looking for a replacement for a while and with the gift card might as well.. my immediate thought was to go with the vokey sm-6 the Cleveland is $20 cheaper not that that really matters but I have had Cleveland wedges in the past and my 52-degree is currently a Cleveland cg16

The one thing that worries me as Cruiser pointed out is the v sole

I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to like that on shorter shots around the green I'm pretty positive I will like it on full shots but I have read some reviews here and there that it's not great for little specialty shots around the green then again I've also seen reviews that say people have no trouble opening it up around the green and playing a little higher playing a little bump and run so I really don't know 0

RTX 3 Review

went ahead and bought the RTX 3 56 degree V-MG grind. 11* bounce. Tour Raw finish.

Took it to the range short game area and tried it out from the bunker, fairway and greenside rough. Was pretty pleased. Definitely like the turf interaction from the fairway lies. opening it up from the bunker was no issue although I was firing at a farther pin and my distance control was a little off. Chips from short rough were good. thicker rough I was having a little trouble with but it was the first time practing with it.

Will have it in the bag tomorrow for 18 at a course i've yet to play. One of the crystal springs resort courses in NNJ. Black Bear

Played Pecan Valley Hills yesterday. My driver needs a bit more constistency still... but my irons and short game are in a good state.

I made triple on a short par 3 when I decided to attack a flag that was maybe 6 yards beyond the water. Hit was felt like my best shot of the day to that point, but a gust hit it and damn. Bad decision as I should have just played for par. Still shot a front side 40 with only 12 putts.

Coming off #14, I needed to go 1 under to break 80. Finished par (missed a 15 ft birdie), birdie (par 3 hit a 9 iron to about 8 ft), bogey, then made a 15 foot birdie putt on 18 to finish with a 79.

It was a ton of fun because I knew what I needed on those 4 holes, and shooting in the 70s is still a big enough deal to me that I feel the nerves and pressure. That situation is when I get to play make believe and feel like a major is on the line. One of my buddies still talks about a round at Rockwood when I finished birdie, birdie, birdie for a 79. It was the coolest.

Also of note in relation to the Cleveland RTX 3....

On up and down opportunities yesterday inside of about 20 yards, I was 5 of 7 by my count. I only had 27 putts (holed out once) which ties my low number for rounds I've kept stats on.

Less related to the RTX 3 (the hole out being the exception) I had 4 birdies....which I believe ties my 2nd best total for a round (had 5 once at Cross Timbers).

Well, I can't add much to my RTX-3 review from my play today. I don't have the cavity back version. I played like absolute trash on the front 9. I was teeing off pretty well but I was all over the place with my irons. tops, fat, pulls, pushes. Had about 70 yards for my 3rd shot on the par 5 3rd, RTX in hand, just hit it fat right in the water. skulled the next one over the green, then back over the green into the water. made a 10. Front nine 49 with 3 doubles and 1 quintuple...... :lol: .

Things got better with the RTX, hit a nice full bunker shot with it, few solid chips. Going to take some getting used to. My oil can vokey isnt going anywhere just yet...

My back nine started off better but wasn't looking like anything spectacular. 4 over through 5 on the back. I then went birdie, par, birdie, bogey to close with a 39 on the back. The birdies were nice. Hole 15, shorter par 4 up the hill. hit my best drive of the day and had about a 15 yard uphill, blind pitch. Hit my 60* landed short, hopped, hit the pin down by the cup and could have easily jarred in but wound up 6 inches away (according to my playing partner). Routine, two putt, par 5 on 16. Then 17 I hit my best iron shot of the day a nice smooth 9 iron that stuck 2 inches from the cup.

I'm getting old, too old to be playing 36 in 95* weather anyway... First 18 was pretty solid, 76 - then I beer faded away on the second round... But it was fun to putt well again - really been working on it - good to see it paying off.

Well, I can't add much to my RTX-3 review from my play today.

Feel pretty comfortable with it out of the sand?

I don't think most understand 'bounce' on a wedge. Bcoz of that, I don't think people play nearly enough bounces in their wedges - bounce is your friend, especially to those higher handicaps... I guess my apprehension with the V-sole wedge is that I never trusted the bounce. I come in steep to the ball anyways, something like that - would be a bunker butter knife, I'd dig right in.

Feel pretty comfortable with it out of the sand?

I don't think most understand 'bounce' on a wedge. Bcoz of that, I don't think people play nearly enough bounces in their wedges - bounce is your friend, especially to those higher handicaps... I guess my apprehension with the V-sole wedge is that I never trusted the bounce. I come in steep to the ball anyways, something like that - would be a bunker butter knife, I'd dig right in.

I was only in 1 bunker situation with it and it was a full yardage shot. Can't comment yet other than practicing with it at my local facility. Feels fine.

More bouncertain is good for me because of the northeast conditions and the fact that I do come in steeper and tend to take a nice sized divot with full wedge shots. My old lob wedge didn't have enough bounce and I would constantly just slide through the turf right under the ball and hit it 10 yards :D

I should also add that the ping glide wedge are awesome. So much bite. I don't know about the 2.0 version but I have the first gorge glide 60 degree with eye sole and it's very versatile

Played Rockwood 2day with my pop and all his viejitos (old guys).. Shot 76 with a triple..

As I get older, there's nothing better than play with my pop - it's something you can't explain or duplicate.

• Like 1

Played Rockwood 2day with my pop and all his viejitos (old guys).. Shot 76 with a triple..

As I get older, there's nothing better than play with my pop - it's something you can't explain or duplicate.

I hear ya. My dad and 2 of his friends is my group...maybe 35 rounds per year with dad and 5 rounds per year with my friends.....It won't last forever, so I'm soaking it in.

• Like 1

Will someone step up and and start a geek golf outing?

it would be focking PHA-NOMANAL as Jim Rome says it.

Or someone get it going. I'll be involved, as I think most people trust me.

I'm in

Got my first hole in one yesterday.

Bradford country club. 6th hole

:first:

I've seen you play.

The only way this happened was if the hole was towards the bottom of the green and you somehow skulled one of the hill of the bunker and it rolled down and in.

Congrats. FU

I've seen you play.

The only way this happened was if the hole was towards the bottom of the green and you somehow skulled one of the hill of the bunker and it rolled down and in.

Congrats. FU

Still counts!!

I've seen you play.

Congrats. FU

:D

Congrats Drobs - you got to buy the pops! :thumbsup:

I hear ya. My dad and 2 of his friends is my group...maybe 35 rounds per year with dad and 5 rounds per year with my friends.....It won't last forever, so I'm soaking it in.

Played Squaw Creek Saturday - sort of anyways. It was a scramble, but a fun one with free beer/food/prizes..... I have always loved that course, but this was my first time back since the redo.. The greens are still pretty hard, not holding much - but wow she looks incredible. SC is a pure hidden gem, fantastic layout.

Globalgolf.com has nice sale that ends on the 2nd.

20% off everything

Picked up an 8 club set of forged mizuno jpx ez irons (4-aw)and ping g30 driver and 3 wood for arond $550.

I was only in 1 bunker situation with it and it was a full yardage shot. Can't comment yet other than practicing with it at my local facility. Feels fine.

More bouncertain is good for me because of the northeast conditions and the fact that I do come in steeper and tend to take a nice sized divot with full wedge shots. My old lob wedge didn't have enough bounce and I would constantly just slide through the turf right under the ball and hit it 10 yards :D

This is my problem. I do it regularly.

I played Monday and a buddy of mine had 3 eagle putts that day (2 par 5s and a par 4). He birdied 2 of them but 3 jacked the other. He finished with an 80. Guy does that Justin Thomas snap thing at impact and really bombs it.

After watching that guy, I noticed I wasn't really loading up with my lower body. I played Thursday and shot 77, hitting 11 fairways and 11 greens (longest putt was 15 feet and only drained 1 putt for birdie :cry: ) I did hole out from a greenside bunker for birdie. :banana:

Congrats on the hole in one drobs. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

I'll never get one :sad:

Has anyone ever heard of the Zipper Away Drill by Monte Scheinblum to combat early extension/spinning out on downswing? I've been struggling with this for years and this seems like gold. I can't wait to try this at the range........

Has anyone ever heard of the Zipper Away Drill by Monte Scheinblum to combat early extension/spinning out on downswing? I've been struggling with this for years and this seems like gold. I can't wait to try this at the range........

I'm playing today at 11. I'm gonna experiment with this technique when warming up.

What is your typical shot shape with a 5 iron, Filthy?

I like Monte's lessons quite a bit.

In my opinion.....When it comes to modern golf instruction for the average weekender, it's not so much about an instructor knowing the fundementals (they all do)....Instead, the key is being able to explain the same concept in as many ways (feels) as possible, until finding the one that clicks with the student. Do you "pull from the right" or "push from the left"? The correct answer is whichever clicks in the student's mind.

Anyway, more often than not when I am trying to solve a problem, I watch multiple videos from different instructors. More often than not, one of Monte Scheinblum's videos ends up being the one I bookmark.

This one clicks with me in regards to early extension.

Nice!

I came in here to post that I was playing in a member guest this weekend and holed out from 160 yards. It was late on Sunday and there were at least 15 people around the green watching. We Eagled the toughest par 4 and the crowd went crazy.

The zipper away never clicked fully for me either. As he states, hes got a ton of videos that cover just a few ideas, theyre just presented in a different way. One of his other EE vids may work. Check out 68 ballerina.

For me, EE all comes down to keeping the lower body "busy" for a split second while the arms synch back up with the lower body. What it eventually took for me was just simply holding my trail hip deep until my arms start down. This gets more important the more arm overrun you have in your backswing.

I like most all of Montes vids. Monte is pretty active over at golfwrx.com Instruction forum. He also does online video lessons and clinics all over the country.

86 at Hidden Creek: Much tougher course.

Played Hidden Creek y-day..... This is how long it's been since I've been there - I had no idea they had a redo and changed up some of the holes, totally eliminating some holes altogether..... WTF happened to the old #18 hole? I was stunned.

Nonetheless, really enjoyed playing it. Was reminded of how nice of a track it is, very Central Texas, Hill Country like.. It was a scramble, so no idea how I would of done.. But was really, really impressed with the greens - in phenomenal shape.

Played Hidden Creek y-day..... This is how long it's been since I've been there - I had no idea they had a redo and changed up some of the holes, totally eliminating some holes altogether..... WTF happened to the old #18 hole? I was stunned.

Nonetheless, really enjoyed playing it. Was reminded of how nice of a track it is, very Central Texas, Hill Country like.. It was a scramble, so no idea how I would of done.. But was really, really impressed with the greens - in phenomenal shape.

The current 10th hole used to be #18, which had the green on the other side of the creek by the clubhouse. I barely remember it, but my dad is incapable of driving up to the tee at #10 and not re-explaining it to me. Ha.

The current 10th hole used to be #18, which had the green on the other side of the creek by the clubhouse. I barely remember it, but my dad is incapable of driving up to the tee at #10 and not re-explaining it to me. Ha.

Yea, it did.. I was looking around, trying to figure what in the hell happened. I always played #18 as a dogleg left, back up the hill. I also don't remember the current 11th hole either.. Then again, maybe my old ass is just not remembering worth a shiit.

We played Trophy Club - Whitworth yesterday. One of the coolest courses I've played in our area. Tons of character and variety. Amazing condition. My only critique would be that the front and back feel too different. Back side is a bit easier.....

But I had an interesting mental day. I spent the whole front side worked up about some work related issues. I was tense, I was having an argument with my boss in my head, and I kept thinking I didn't need to be golfing as there were more important things to do......Frankly, I didn't want to be there and I shot a smooth 48.

There was a long drive between #9 and #10 through the woods and whatnot. During that drive, I thought to myself "What the helll am I doing? I love golf and look forward to it every week, and I'm letting my job ruin this for me? No more!"......and it was like I was a new person. Suddenly my shoulders relaxed, I realized it was a gorgeous day to be outside, my head cleared, and I wanted to be there. Shot a very strong 38 coming in.

We played Trophy Club - Whitworth yesterday. One of the coolest courses I've played in our area. Tons of character and variety. Amazing condition. My only critique would be that the front and back feel too different. Back side is a bit easier.....

But I had an interesting mental day. I spent the whole front side worked up about some work related issues. I was tense, I was having an argument with my boss in my head, and I kept thinking I didn't need to be golfing as there were more important things to do......Frankly, I didn't want to be there and I shot a smooth 48.

There was a long drive between #9 and #10 through the woods and whatnot. During that drive, I thought to myself "What the helll am I doing? I love golf and look forward to it every week, and I'm letting my job ruin this for me? No more!"......and it was like I was a new person. Suddenly my shoulders relaxed, I realized it was a gorgeous day to be outside, my head cleared, and I wanted to be there. Shot a very strong 38 coming in.

Can't think of a better way to ignore the curb stomping you were dealt at the hands of my team yesterday. :cheers:

Playing Forsgate in central NJ tomorrow. Nice course that formerly hosted an annual LPGA event.

I'm playing today at 11. I'm gonna experiment with this technique when warming up.

What is your typical shot shape with a 5 iron, Filthy?

I hit draws almost exclusively. When I miss it's thin or pushed faded.