Sign in to follow this  
penultimatestraw

Family Values

WTF does immigration have to do with family values? This is what happens when people can't add to a conversation - they steer it to some other topic.

The family values issue has many factors and things have eroded over time. Among the factors:

- single parent homes are more frequent

- kids are told from day 1 how special they are

- parents don't allow others to discipline their child when they do wrong

- religion is a part of fewer households

- respect for authority is gone

There are no quick fixes either. It started with individuals and the fix starts there too

When immigrants take our jobs, family values go with them!

Of the things you mention, single parent homes is the biggest issue IMO. But I can’t think of a good way to encourage greater commitment to marriage, especially in this age of instant gratification.

WTF does immigration have to do with family values? This is what happens when people can't add to a conversation - they steer it to some other topic.

The family values issue has many factors and things have eroded over time. Among the factors:

There are no quick fixes either. It started with individuals and the fix starts there too

Yep

nailed it

Well, we have to end apartheid for one. And slow down the nuclear arms race, stop terrorism and world hunger. We have to provide food and shelter for the homeless, and oppose racial discrimination and promote civil rights, while also promoting equal rights for women. We have to encourage a return to traditional moral values. Most importantly, we have to promote general social concern and less materialism in young people.

I will contend that parents are pretty sucky in general. I was surrounded by friends whose parents weren't very good at being parents, and most of us had pretty decent parents on the good parenting scale. It's why they allow their kids to be medicated, allow them to bury their faces in tablets and smart phones for hours a day, and don't teach them that being trolling little heartless focks on the internet is punishable offense

Fock that. You want DACA you go to the southern border and fight alongside our border patrol agents while building the wall. It's easy to sit in a glass house and say how you deserve special treatment because your illegal parents brought you illegally to our great country. Well, get off your ass and prove you want to be here.

I dont its called negotiations. And fwiw, I live in Socal like you so I hate it more everyday

Families rarely sit down and eat dinner together. Parents do not hold their kids accountable for their actions. Kids do not respect their elders. Parents do not spend as much quality time with their kids. Its always go, go, go. Social media consumes so many, and I think more and more women are self-absorbed because of it. While I am not religious, I believe religion is positive for reinforcing those things that parent should be teaching their kids as well. The percentage of people that go to church seems to be lower than when I was a kid.

These points are all generalizations and I dont have a solution. I do the best I can to teach/show my kids family values.

We went on vacation a few weeks ago. My 9 year old nephew, who has lived with the POS described in my conundrum (quotes) thread, tells me that he hates cops. I was totally taken back. I asked him why. He didnt really have an answer. I told him that his great grandfather was a police officer for 32 years. I told him how difficult their job is and how important they are to society.

He didnt care. His POS father figure has engrained in him that he should hate cops at 9 years old. It saddens me that there are parents out their teaching kids this stuff.

Immigrants are the ones who have family values still. House full of Mexicans, 10 kids all live at home forever. Its white and blacks who have the broken homes.

• Like 1

Families rarely sit down and eat dinner together. Parents do not hold their kids accountable for their actions. Kids do not respect their elders. Parents do not spend as much quality time with their kids. Its always go, go, go. Social media consumes so many, and I think more and more women are self-absorbed because of it. While I am not religious, I believe religion is positive for reinforcing those things that parent should be teaching their kids as well. The percentage of people that go to church seems to be lower than when I was a kid.

These points are all generalizations and I dont have a solution. I do the best I can to teach/show my kids family values.

Churchgoing percentage in Europe and Asia is even lower by far than America. And they dont have constant shootings. Cause they dont have guns.

Honestly, on the social stuff, we (Americans I mean) sold our soul. We are patient zero for what happens when you put material things first as a society.

We work more hours than most others. We take less vacation than most others. What little time we do spend together is largely spent staring at one or more screens.

When I first moved abroad, I was a bit stunned at how much less stuff people have here. Now I think they are better off for it.

Our constant quest for more bigger better nicer newer is killing us. That is why we have a generally unhappy, over stressed, over medicated society.

I think we're probably overstating things in our little echo-chamber here.

From what I hear, things like teen pregnancy drug use and alcohol use are all down significantly.

Again, I think what we tend to comments on and what gets all the attention are the extreme Fringe stories. But from what I've seen, even when kids see some kid or his parent being an idiot at school, they kind of shrug their shoulders and get on with their life.

I think that's one more bad manifestation social media and the internet. Before, if there were any freak shows it was limited to the ones would hear about in our local high school. Now some Freak Show demands that the African flag be flown in nowhere Florida and it becomes national news.

Sure, there are some truly terrifying things like in school shootings that weren't even on my radar screen as a kid. But I'm just saying I don't think it's quite the gloom-and-doom that we tend to paint for ourselves living in the internet Echo chamber of what's the most fuked-up story of the day today?

Churchgoing percentage in Europe and Asia is even lower by far than America. And they dont have constant shootings. Cause they dont have guns.

Honestly, on the social stuff, we (Americans I mean) sold our soul. We are patient zero for what happens when you put material things first as a society.

We work more hours than most others. We take less vacation than most others. What little time we do spend together is largely spent staring at one or more screens.

When I first moved abroad, I was a bit stunned at how much less stuff people have here. Now I think they are better off for it.

Our constant quest for more bigger better nicer newer is killing us. That is why we have a generally unhappy, over stressed, over medicated society.

This guy gets it.

I think we're probably overstating things in our little echo-chamber here.

From what I hear, things like teen pregnancy drug use and alcohol use are all down significantly.

Again, I think what we tend to comments on and what gets all the attention are the extreme Fringe stories. But from what I've seen, even when kids see some kid or his parent being an idiot at school, they kind of shrug their shoulders and get on with their life.

I think that's one more bad manifestation social media and the internet. Before, if there were any freak shows it was limited to the ones would hear about in our local high school. Now some Freak Show demands that the African flag be flown in nowhere Florida and it becomes national news.

Sure, there are some truly terrifying things like in school shootings that weren't even on my radar screen as a kid. But I'm just saying I don't think it's quite the gloom-and-doom that we tend to paint for ourselves living in the internet Echo chamber of what's the most fuked-up story of the day today?

Also accurate. But I think weve plateaued as a society and are starting downhill. Not sure how long that process will take until things are legitimately pretty bad.

Also accurate. But I think weve plateaued as a society and are starting downhill. Not sure how long that process will take until things are legitimately pretty bad.

You know, we're already seeing kids turn against social media. Meanwhile their moms and grandmas are all over it. Maybe that's a one-off, maybe it's not.

Also seems like The Fringe is not sustainable. Like young adults are starting to understand the hypocrisy of not allowing other viewpoints on to their college campuses.

We are nothing if not pendulustick. We went from the 70s hippies to the 80s conservatives. Maybe that's where we're headed something like that.