Sign in to follow this  
kilroy69

Pflueger President fishing reel.

Link the one you're looking at. I have several Pfluger reels. :thumbsup:

What are you going to use it for, what strength line, mono or braid, and lastly what size of reel?

Anyone ever had one? Used one? How did ya like it?

For you son? Its a trout rod you are looking at with the reel, right? Get him the Spider-Man pole, hell love it. Dont overthink this one Dad.

I like mine for a trout set up tho.

I prefer shimano/penn, but for only 20 dollars more you can go to a Daiwa BG. People love these things.

https://www.amazon.com/Daiwa-BG-BG8000-Spinning-Reel/dp/B01JH8FHSU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1545599822&sr=8-3&keywords=daiwa%2Bbg&th=1&psc=1

I have seen them land decent sized yellowfins, mahi, cobia, etc. For 60 bucks though the president is about as good as you can go. Definitely want to avoid the Shimano's at that price, they seem to be crap.

It's a fine entry level reel that will do what you need it to

So I have had zebcos and Mitchells all my life. An Abu Garcia for a short time. This seems like a step up. I was ill prepared last year and hooked into some amazing fish anyway. Missed some even bigger ones using top water frogs. The one that stands out was a carp while bass fishing. Would have smokeed the gears on the Mitchell I'm using without question. Probably 30lbs. Only fish I ever missed where I thought....well..I would not have caught that anyway.

I would like to be prepared with an open face reel that can handle fish typically monofilament line up to 30 lbs.

So I have had zebcos and Mitchells all my life. An Abu Garcia for a short time. This seems like a step up. I was ill prepared last year and hooked into some amazing fish anyway. Missed some even bigger ones using top water frogs. The one that stands out was a carp while bass fishing. Would have smokeed the gears on the Mitchell I'm using without question. Probably 30lbs. Only fish I ever missed where I thought....well..I would not have caught that anyway.

I would like to be prepared with an open face reel that can handle fish typically monofilament line up to 30 lbs.

Nothing says you cant get a light saltwater set up. A river near me has 50 lb+ blue cats and thats what I use.

Nothing says you cant get a light saltwater set up. A river near me has 50 lb+ blue cats and thats what I use.

biggest fish I ever caught was a 37 lb channel cat. On a shad I had used a casting net for. On a Mitchell with 20 lb line at the bank in a River. I honestly thought I caught a log...till it started moving.

I'm also fishing exclusively from a kyak so I don't want something that's too unwieldily to use. As it is I use a rod that has the top part removed and capped to make it shorter and easier to get into the kayak and through reeds.

biggest fish I ever caught was a 37 lb channel cat. On a shad I had used a casting net for. On a Mitchell with 20 lb line at the bank in a River. I honestly thought I caught a log...till it started moving.

I'm also fishing exclusively from a kyak so I don't want something that's too unwieldily to use. As it is I use a rod that has the top part removed and capped to make it shorter and easier to get into the kayak and through reeds.

They make a daiwa bg down to a 2000 size. It is not any bigger than a president.

It has a drag that will take anything. More expensive is the only downside.

Penn spinnfisher is another option, although i am not sure how small they go. They can be found on sale in that 70 dollar range if you are patient.

I would be happy to spend 100 bucks for a reel that is going to be able to land one of the big fish I know are in this 55 acre lake I fish in. I got my first Pike at the same spot so the fish run the spectrum. Bass,carp. Pike. Crappie.

I also saw a legit 9 lb bass come out. Right off the docks. I personally took the pic of the dude. I was just as happy to do see it as he was to catch it. Just as I was coming in off the lake. Just us 2 still there. Then I watched him put it back.

He's got one ugly stick.

hahaha. No. It's just a Meijer brand. I knew what I was gonna do to it by cutting and capping the top. It has 3 eyes left and I capped it right after the 3rd. took about 2 ft off the rod. However I don't need it to be sensitive. I can see the fish hit because I'm fishing with fake frogs,snakes and a focking baby duck. All topwater.

hahaha. No. It's just a Meijer brand. I knew what I was gonna do to it by cutting and capping the top. It has 3 eyes left and I capped it right after the 3rd. took about 2 ft off the rod. However I don't need it to be sensitive. I can see the fish hit because I'm fishing with fake frogs,snakes and a focking baby duck. All topwater.

Fishing for alligator? :shocking:

Chootem' Clint.

Fishing for alligator? :shocking:

Chootem' Clint.

It sounds absurd. I know. Sounds nuts. It's called a Savage suicide duck. But it works excellent in the lake I fish in. Lots of waterfowl and it turns out. Bass eat baby ducks.

It sounds absurd. I know. Sounds nuts. It's called a Savage suicide duck. But it works excellent in the lake I fish in. Lots of waterfowl and it turns out. Bass eat baby ducks.

That has to be fun when one hits it. :thumbsup:

That has to be fun when one hits it. :thumbsup:

it is. Typically only bigger ones try to take it on. However I am kinda surprised how often smaller bass try to eat Howard. I repair him often.

Howard? Nice.

hahaha. Hey man. When you are out in a kayak alone on a giant lake smoking pot. The small things make ya laugh.

What the fock are you gonna do with a 40 lb carp?

uhhhh. Catch it? I have not killed a fish in 20 years. While unprepared I missed one that could have been that big. Typically i am hitting 3 to 5lb bass. But this lake has had 10 plus pound bass along with muskie,Pike and I swear to God what looks like a 5 lb white koi. If I hooked into a whale I would not be too terribly surprised. It just literally has all the things you need for big fish. Reed beds. Low hanging trees on the banks. Spring fed so it has clear water and lots of living creatures to sustain a healthy ecosystem. It's my buried treasure. I typically kayak about 2-5 miles a day in the summer. Early morning. Late night. The boy comes with me sometimes but others he stays with his mom who owns the majority of the property around the lake.
  • Like 1

Also. Part of me wants to hook into a carp that big so it can literally pull me around the lake. A 5lb fish can make my kayak move on a flat day.

A 40 lb fish would be like having a motor.

• Like 2

Also. Part of me wants to hook into a carp that big so it can literally pull me around the lake. A 5lb fish can make my kayak move on a flat day.

A 40 lb fish would be like having a motor.

I was gonna say, at a minimum, at 40 lb carp would be a helluva fight. :thumbsup:

I was gonna say, at a minimum, at 40 lb carp would be a helluva fight. :thumbsup:

that's all I'm in it for. It's also why I only fish topwater lures. I'm a sucker for that giant breach from below. Even if they miss it. Just pure joy.

https://m.tackledirect.com/shimano-stl1000fj-stella-fj-spinning-reel.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8Zfh6KC83wIVyiCtBh2SfwrAEAQYAiABEgK_RPD_BwE

Just kidding, what a waste.

I am watching for a good deal on a penn spinfisher. If I find one I will post it here. I want to pick up another a well.

They are not as good as the daiwa bg, but they are easier to upgrade.

https://m.tackledirect.com/shimano-stl1000fj-stella-fj-spinning-reel.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8Zfh6KC83wIVyiCtBh2SfwrAEAQYAiABEgK_RPD_BwE

I am watching for a good deal on a penn spinfisher. If I find one I will post it here. I want to pick up another a well.

I used a sustain for 4 years and had it serviced by Shimano in that timeframe also... Not worth the money what so ever.. for a reel of that price it was very cheap and the drag clicker would break very very easy

hahaha. Yea right. I can afford a BG at my top end. I can't imagine dropping 700 plus unless I were a pro or sponsored.

How about a Penn Battle? Anyone have any experience with those.

He already lost the battle with whatever mountain he climbed recently most likely.

My fishing buddy has a few that he has abused the hell out of for at least 10 years and they can still handle large fish.

I would have no problem with a battle.

Everything i read says go Daiwa BG.

https://www.thehulltruth.com/9593173-post9.html

https://www.thehulltruth.com/9593323-post10.html

etc.