Sign in to follow this  
kilroy69

I took the boy on a helicopter ride today

It was pretty sweet. It was 35 bucks each. We went up for 5 or so mins. We got great views and man did he love it. We have a hot air balloon festival in town and it was there. Man it was great.

Sweet. I've never been on one. :mad:

Awesome man. Glad the kid enjoyed it. They have them here at Myrtle beach and I think thats the price as well. They take you over the ocean in addition to the city which is cool. I want to do one in Hawaii over the volcano

I had the opportunity to take a free ride last year (freind of our charity auctions off rides and the helicopter is on display during the event). So it was the next morning and we were already drinking (early brunch) and I was afraid I'd puke.

Also the pilot had a couple bloody Mary's

On bucket list

I rode one in Hawaii. It was alright, but I didnt love the deafening noise and wearing headphones.

Those things used to crash about 2-3 every year until the FAA stepped up in the 90s.

I rode one in Hawaii. It was alright, but I didnt love the deafening noise and wearing headphones.

Those things used to crash about 2-3 every year until the FAA stepped up in the 90s.

soooo this one was not really that loud. It was air conditioned and we did not even have to use headphones. I remember thinking when we got in mannn I thought this would be louder.
  • Like 1

Played glass bottom boat with my niece recently.

I don't even want to GUESS what this means.

They still crash every couple years. I had an acquaintance who died in one.

They still crash every couple years. I had an acquaintance who died in one.

I wonder how many honeymoons have ended in this nightmare.

Whats the problem exactly?

Sudden wind gusts flying between the mountains?

Incompetent pilots?

I wonder how many honeymoons have ended in this nightmare.

Whats the problem exactly?

Sudden wind gusts flying between the mountains?

Incompetent pilots?

Its still pretty rare, but pretty sure helicopters are far and away the most dangerous way to fly.

Its still pretty rare, but pretty sure helicopters are far and away the most dangerous way to fly.

Fundamentally mechanically and physically untrue.

If you lose all of your thrust on an airplane you will sink like a Stone.

Helicopter Pilots, the good ones, are trained before they get their license to handle exactly that. It complete and utter shutdown of the engines.

At one point, it was a condition of Licensing. I don't know if it still is.

You see, if you're at altitude and lose all power, the helicopter by Design and by Nature will simply Revert to auto rotate. You will land hard but you will end up right. The very Force that's bringing you down, gravity will have the effect of running the blades affixed to your helicopter and forcing them to spin in rotation to support you in flight and Landing. You won't be able to navigate but you will land vertically upright and God willing with nothing more than a sore back.

Think about the toy helicopters that you used to throw in the air that would flutter their way downward.

More below.

Do you know why one of the Choppers crashed in the obl raid?

Details details details.

The seals or their little minion helpers assembled to separate camps to resemble the Pakistani compound. However, in both cases, those that assemble the mock-ups got lazy and cheap.

You see, they made the fencing around the mock-up complex chain link. They were very clear to make it exactly the same height. But missed the point entirely.

A helicopter can fly in, for example, a grain silo. There's not enough air to push up on and maneuver.

The obl compound, effectively act it is a pseudo Silo in that it had solid walls. The chain link walls allowed are too freely flow in and out of the fence and so they never faced a thrust loss scenario. In short, it was basically like trying to tread water while the pool is draining. Between the thin hot air of the night and the solid fence, the helicopter lost the rest and basically simply fell from the sky at low altitude.

Sometimes it's the little details that make all the difference in the world.

Fundamentally mechanically and physically untrue.

If you lose all of your thrust on an airplane you will sink like a ###### Stone.

Helicopter Pilots, the good ones, are trained before they get their license to handle exactly that. It complete and utter shutdown of the engines.

At one point, it was a condition of Licensing. I don't know if it still is.

You see, if you're at altitude and lose all power, the helicopter by Design and by Nature will simply Revert to auto rotate. You will land hard but you will end up right. The very Force that's bringing you down, gravity will have the effect of running the blades affixed to your helicopter and forcing them to spin in rotation to support you in flight and Landing. You won't be able to navigate but you will land vertically upright and God willing with nothing more than a sore back.

Think about the toy helicopters that you used to throw in the air that would flutter their way downward.

More below.

Have any stats to back up your impression? I don’t, but from what Ive looked up online both sides argue the other is more dangerous.

Flew on too many to remember. The CH-53 sea stallions nickname was the hearse. They were dropping out of the sky in the 80's. No one wanted to get onthem. You hoped when you were getting picked up by a helo it was the CH-46. All those helicopters were beat up back then, Vietnam left overs.