Sign in to follow this  
Strike

H-1B visas - Hey libs

Did you watch 60 minutes last night? As an I.T. professional, this issue is very personal. What do you think of the U.S. creating a "VISA" that allows U.S. workers to be displaced and having to train their direct replacements, typically from India and making significantly less money? Haven't heard any of you stick up for U.S. jobs, and this one particularly annoys me.

You just learned about that last night?

That is why reporting the news accurately is important. People expect to gain insight from these shows.

• Like 1

H1-B's have been an issue for a while. Some companies go all-in and just off-shore things.

The government goes in cycles where they hold a harder line on the criteria to have a job meet H1-B. I think that the real issue is that we have to do a better job with training and re-training of people so that they can maintain skills that keep them relevant.

As our working force gets older, they will be subject to potentially losing their jobs to lower cost workers. It would be better if those jobs went to younger, US citizens than foreigners, but we do have to figure out how we can ensure that our aging workforce can keep increasing their value to match their wages.

I am pretty sure employers can only bring a worker in on an H1-B if they cannot find a qualified US candidate and they're required to pay the H1-B worker the prevailing wage for that job. I am sure there's abuse but people seem to think companies can hire all the H1-B workers they want and pay them peanuts and that's not true.

I also don't remember Strike or any other Republican complaining about H1-Bs before Trump was elected. And if Trump cared so bad about US workers he could bring his own businesses back to the US. His concern for US workers is as phony as Strike's.

I am pretty sure employers can only bring a worker in on an H1-B if they cannot find a qualified US candidate and they're required to pay the H1-B worker the prevailing wage for that job. I am sure there's abuse but people seem to think companies can hire all the H1-B workers they want and pay them peanuts and that's not true.

I also don't remember Strike or any other Republican complaining about H1-Bs before Trump was elected. And if Trump cared so bad about US workers he could bring his own businesses back to the US. His concern for US workers is as phony as Strike's.

Someone didn't watch the segment but still runs his mouth, just wants to cry some more about Trump.
  • Like 1

Did you watch 60 minutes last night? As an I.T. professional, this issue is very personal. What do you think of the U.S. creating a "VISA" that allows U.S. workers to be displaced and having to train their direct replacements, typically from India and making significantly less money? Haven't heard any of you stick up for U.S. jobs, and this one particularly annoys me.

Pissed me off, this happened to a friend of mine. These people do this to their fellow countrymen. That useless postule Janet Napolitano did it at the University of California, which is not for profit.

Someone didn't watch the segment but still runs his mouth, just wants to cry some more about Trump.

I know a little about H1-Bs because I write an article about it maybe 15 years ago? In my entire time here I don't recall Strike or you RP ever once complaining about work visas or the lot of the American worker. If Trump was so concerned he wouldnt have his Make Ameroca Great Again dunce caps manufactured in Mexico.

ETA: Correction, Donald's hats are actually made in China, Vietnam and Bangledesh:

http://metro.co.uk/2017/01/22/donald-trump-supporters-find-out-their-hats-werent-made-in-us-6398848/

Not that his supporters care. Most of them know MAGA is an empty slogan and don't give a fvck all about the salt of the earth working class rubes they used in November.

If American workers are replaced by automotion/robots- no worries. Why deny the business owner his right to maximize profit? If you don't like it, by a business. Greed envy! blah blah blah

If American workers are replaced by immigrants willing to work for less- *&^%%)&^ useless foreigners!! Stealing our jobs!!! WTF!!!!?@!?@

I know a little about H1-Bs because I write an article about it maybe 15 years ago? In my entire time here I don't recall Strike or you RP ever once complaining about work visas or the lot of the American worker. If Trump was so concerned he wouldnt have his Make Ameroca Great Again dunce caps manufactured in Mexico.

ETA: Correction, Donald's hats are actually made in China, Vietnam and Bangledesh:

http://metro.co.uk/2017/01/22/donald-trump-supporters-find-out-their-hats-werent-made-in-us-6398848/

Not that his supporters care. Most of them know MAGA is an empty slogan and don't give a fvck all about the salt of the earth working class rubes they used in November.

I nver mentioned the plight of the American worker, nafta ect? Just making things up as usual. Go have a smoke, you'll feel better. Lol

I nver mentioned the plight of the American worker, nafta ect? Just making things up as usual. Go have a smoke, you'll feel better. Lol

As Recliner Pilot for years no you didn't. And speaking of making things up you're a fake cop / Marine just like Drumpf is a fake populist and a fake successful businessman with a fake tan, a phony combover and a sham marriage. :wave:

As Recliner Pilot for years no you didn't. And speaking of making things up you're a fake cop / Marine just like Drumpf is a fake populist and a fake successful businessman with a fake tan, a phony combover and a sham marriage. :wave:

Got my new challenge coin for Parris Island the other day. Going to get as many as I can from where I was stationed and where I went all over the world and give them to my son. I have a nice plaque from my retirement from the NYPD with my medals and shield already.

Got my new challenge coin for Parris Island the other day. Going to get as many as I can from where I was stationed and where I went all over the world and give them to my son. I have a nice plaque from my retirement from the NYPD with my medals and shield already.

All that and no explanation for how you recall conversations that happened 10 years ago and two months before you "arrived" here.

I'm no Columbo but it's pretty clear you're a liar. As edjr said, "Give it up. You had a good run." :(

saw the clip... and just had to laugh at the part where they talked about, "unintended consequences of a law that was passed with good intentions"...

herein lies the problem, we've so focking over-complicated everything that the snakes will find all the holes while the regular folks are puttering along just trying to follow the maze you've created... from our legal system to our healthcare system, to our tax system... same fockin' story over and over.

And, although 60 Minutes is atop the sh!t heap of news/information sources, they're still part of the sh!t heap - it's another thread altogether, but 60 Minutes is looking for the shock and big ratings more so than the truth - I've seen them report plenty of garbage too and/or get it wrong for the sake of sensationalism.

All that and no explanation for how you recall conversations that happened 10 years ago and two months before you "arrived" here.

I'm no Columbo but it's pretty clear you're a liar. As edjr said, "Give it up. You had a good run." :(

The pension fairy comes on the last business day of the month. It's sweet

The MSM did not see this as News worthy under the Obama Adminisration but now the Trump is President it is. Expect a lot more of these old stories to come forward in the future.

In tech circles, the H1B program is called the "India Full Employment Act." :(

H1Bs are nothing new. Should we not allow longer term work visas like these?

I am an IT recruiter. My first choice is ALWAYS a USC. ALWAYS. That being said I rarely am able to find the skilled IT workers I need for most of the positions and I am forced to use Venkat, Mohamad and Sheeba.

In tech circles, the H1B program is called the "India Full Employment Act." :(

The company I work for has a large number of Indian employees. We have our own building in Bangalore. I have mixed feeelings about my "colleagues" over there. :(

H1-B's have been an issue for a while. Some companies go all-in and just off-shore things.

The government goes in cycles where they hold a harder line on the criteria to have a job meet H1-B. I think that the real issue is that we have to do a better job with training and re-training of people so that they can maintain skills that keep them relevant.

As our working force gets older, they will be subject to potentially losing their jobs to lower cost workers. It would be better if those jobs went to younger, US citizens than foreigners, but we do have to figure out how we can ensure that our aging workforce can keep increasing their value to match their wages.

The company I work for has a center in Cork, Ireland. A number of our employees over there come to us via a program in Ireland that does exactly that. They literally pay us to train these people that come from completely unrelated fields and once they're up to speed we pay start paying them. Win win for the country as well as us.

You just learned about that last night?

No. As I work in IT I was well aware of it. Just figured since it was on such a respected program as 60 minutes it was worth starting a discussion about.

:dunno:

Didn't Melania come to the US on an H-1B visa?

I feel sorry for the American model that was denied a job here because of that

I feel sorry for the American model that was denied a job here because of that

Yeah, let's keep the hot models out. You know, a lot of models went to the Lehigh Valley in Pennsylvania. That's what Newbie says.

I didn't know they had that for hookers.

HT post count over 16k since Nov of 15. That's pretty impressive.

I will say that I do not think HT is RP. RP would actually get under my skin a bit, and he was admittedly pretty good at trolling. HT is pretty piss poor when it comes to trolling and his arguments do not have near the validity that RPs did. Idk sometimes HT seems ok, and then he targets me to troll out of nowhere. So idk. I don't get why him and Strike want to waste so much time trolling? It seems pretty pointless.

HT post count over 16k since Nov of 15. That's pretty impressive.

You know what's really incredible? The fact that HT and RP overlap for months and never once interacted. Then right after RP left HT became a 100+ post per day pedantic trolling dooshnozzle.

What are the odds??? :o :overhead:

You know what's really incredible? The fact that HT and RP overlap for months and never once interacted. Then right after RP left HT became a 100+ post per day pedantic trolling dooshnozzle.

You know what is even more incredible than that, some people think Chicago has good food.

Focking losers.

You know what is even more incredible than that, some people think Chicago has good food.

Focking losers.

Chicago is such a large city that attracts really good chefs, so it seems pretty obvious that Chicago would have good food. It's unfortunate when some people don't end up wirh a good experience. But there also seems to be a twinge of jealousy from non Chicagoans.

H-1B visas are simply a convenient way for companies to justify not hiring white men.

:mad: I feel so discriminated against.

H-1B visas are simply a convenient way for companies to justify not hiring white men.

For seasonal hospitality companies its a killer to limit the H1B program. There aren't enough workers to do the job for the full season that runs through september when the college kids are already back. It cripples the operation.

:mad: I feel so discriminated against.

Very tough being a white person in this country. :cry:

Do you really think they are the same? I think the similarity ends at their persistent trolling. I thought RP was way more effective. HT sucks at it and is just annoying when he tries. But he also let's up sometimes. RP never seemed to let up. Every single post was some form of trolling.

For seasonal hospitality companies its a killer to limit the H1B program. There aren't enough workers to do the job for the full season that runs through september when the college kids are already back. It cripples the operation.

That isn't what H1-B visas are for. It is for professionals in specialty occupations. It is not for the Irish waitress on the Cape.

• Like 1

Do you really think they are the same? .

I know they are. It's been confirmed. :ninja: