Sign in to follow this  
Frozenbeernuts

Attention Deficit Disorder

Any of you have ADD? Do you take medication for it? Have you taken medication for it? What were the results?

I have always always had trouble paying attention and remembering things I should. My gf has told me she sees it every day, which isn't news to me because I know I have always been like this. I am at the point where I am sick of it. No matter how hard I try to concentrate, no matter how much I try to force myself to remember something, I forget what I was even concentrating on a minute later.

At this point in life, idk how much benefit medication would do. I have always been against it because I do not want any dependencies. I'm also at the point where I am just sick of it. I miss turns all the time because I am spacing out when driving. Hell I have even almost dropped my kid a few times because my attention wandered.

I am that guy who I could see possibly forgetting my kid is in the car. I would hope not, but I have forgotten shlt that people around me have asked, how could you forget what you were doing.

I do. I smoke pot. Which actually dials me in. But I have thought about looking into Adderall. I just get bored easy. Always have.

I do. I smoke pot. Which actually dials me in. But I have thought about looking into Adderall. I just get bored easy. Always have.

I cant really smoke. Nor do I ever want to smoke again. Thanks for the input though. I am really trying to weigh the benefit now vs the negative effects it could have. I always thought that if I could remember things easier I would be doing a lot better financially. Not that I am doing poorly by any means, but I could be much better off.

Studies show that Adderall does not help in the long term. It is only a short term solution.

You are better off managing it through exercise and to-do lists.

No I don't. But I know a....wait, what are we talking about again?

• Like 1

Studies show that Adderall does not help in the long term. It is only a short term solution.

You are better off managing it through exercise and to-do lists.

Yeah, I figure that's the only healthy solution.... fvck

Yeah, I figure that's the only healthy solution.... fvck

I am swamped at work today and will be unable to link the many studies, but for example the article quotes a university of Quebec study and it found that kids on ADHD meds do worse and we're more likely to drop out of school.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/283841/

I am swamped at work today and will be unable to link the many studies, but for example the article quotes a university of Quebec study and it found that kids on ADHD meds do worse and we're more likely to drop out of school.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/283841/

I will read that when I have a chance. A few websites claim Aderall, when not abused and taken at "safe" doses, can remain beneficial. Idk. I still might try it. I dont have this image of superman in my mind with me being on it. Just a little bump in attention span and focus.

Thinking of telling my doc that I have it and need a marijane prescription.

Another name for laziness, lack of self control, the result of bad parenting and drug pushing doctors.

HTH

I will read that when I have a chance. A few websites claim Aderall, when not abused and taken at "safe" doses, can remain beneficial. Idk. I still might try it. I dont have this image of superman in my mind with me being on it. Just a little bump in attention span and focus.

Be careful if the websites show studies or anecdotal evidence.

All of the studies that show benefits are short term studies and not long term studies.

Adderall does help in the short term.

I do but do not take anything

drugs are bad mmmkay

Adderall works.

But I wouldnt want to be on it even if I had ADD.

My buddy has a script, he's 53.

every time he takes one he turns into a teenage girl. he won't shut the fock up. just keeps talking and talking and talking.

when I take 3 i turn into satan

Another name for laziness, lack of self control, the result of bad parenting and drug pushing doctors.

HTH

Idk what it is. I went through a phase where I was working like a mad man, taking classes, trying to learn about electronics. I still couldn't focus. I felt like I was accomplishing a lot each day, but it was still hard as hell to concentrate, even when I felt like I was at my very best. And I was still forgetting things constantly.

My buddy has a script, he's 53.

every time he takes one he turns into a teenage girl. he won't shut the fock up. just keeps talking and talking and talking.

when I take 3 i turn into satan

This is definitely the case with me, I will occasionally have one if we are away on a golf trip or something.

You can drink like a focking fish all day long and barely get a buzz but, I will be listening to myself in my head telling myself to shut the fock up but.. I just can't lol.

The stuff is pretty amazing though, focus is amazing but, I couldn't imagine using that stuff on a daily basis.

Isn't it basically meth churched up for legal distribution?

This is definitely the case with me, I will occasionally have one if we are away on a golf trip or something.

You can drink like a focking fish all day long and barely get a buzz but, I will be listening to myself in my head telling myself to shut the fock up but.. I just can't lol.

The stuff is pretty amazing though, focus is amazing but, I couldn't imagine using that stuff on a daily basis.

Isn't it basically meth churched up for legal distribution?

not only can you drink all day, you don't get tired. it's focking amazing.

I don't know what's in it, but I like it

Any of you have ADD? Do you take medication for it? Have you taken medication for it? What were the results?

I have always always had trouble paying attention and remembering things I should. My gf has told me she sees it every day, which isn't news to me because I know I have always been like this. I am at the point where I am sick of it. No matter how hard I try to concentrate, no matter how much I try to force myself to remember something, I forget what I was even concentrating on a minute later.

At this point in life, idk how much benefit medication would do. I have always been against it because I do not want any dependencies. I'm also at the point where I am just sick of it. I miss turns all the time because I am spacing out when driving. Hell I have even almost dropped my kid a few times because my attention wandered.

I am that guy who I could see possibly forgetting my kid is in the car. I would hope not, but I have forgotten shlt that people around me have asked, how could you forget what you were doing.

If anyone has ADD, this is too long to read...

Yeah, it's much like the other stimulant we used to do back in the day. If I need to get something done, it's great. Otherwise, better to leave it alone.

As far as kids go, I don't know the answer there. There is no question that ADD is real and parents will go crazy trying to get their kid focused. One thing I notice about ADD people, is they tend to complicate their lives by taking on too much. I guess because they are so easily distracted.

No it's not. Plus they can just read the beginning

What's not?

. I smoke pot.

Isn't that illegal?

what were we talking about?

Adderall works.

But I wouldnt want to be on it even if I had ADD.

Buddy of mine had a prescription also. He doesn't take it anymore. I'll ask him why today...but....

He told me, what the person that prescribed it said...they told him make sure you have a list a mile focking long ready to go. And put "go to bathroom" and "eat" on your list, etc...

So he tells me the first day he takes it...he has this list the doc told him to make. He says its sh1t he has put off doing for weeks or months. He assumes this list will take ....well...longer than what it ended up taking.

So, the first day he takes it he goes to work on the list, and has that list done by like 3pm or something stupid like that.

He referenced other times he took it, like the time he was working on a paver patio.

He said he started at like 7 am....went through a pair and a half of leather gloves..didn't eat all day... and at 10pm when it got dark out, he got lights set up and worked on this paver patio until like 1 am.

He said nothing could break his focus.

So, apparently, it works...but apparently there are side effects otherwise he would still be taking it.

Oh yeah. addy = no eats

I was hoping this topic would come up.

Every day my son sits at the table to do homework. But instead of actually doing his homework, he's always finding ways to distract himself. He plays with his pencil, gets up to go to the bathroom, watches whatever his sister is watching on TV, goes to get some food, he'll be sitting there with 45 minutes of homework and it takes him three hours.

Plus he forgets things all the time. His jacket, his bus card, his kiddie phone, his schoolbag. He's forever making trips back to school to look for stuff and he's frequently unsuccessful.

My wife's approach is to scream, berate, and insult him. A lot of screaming and shouting and crying at homework time.

So I was thinking he probably has ADHD and I've been wondering if some drug would work or not or how the situation is handled in the US.

Every day my son sits at the table to do homework. But instead of actually doing his homework, he's always finding ways to distract himself. He plays with his pencil, gets up to go to the bathroom, watches whatever his sister is watching on TV, goes to get some food, he'll be sitting there with 45 minutes of homework and it takes him three hours.

Plus he forgets things all the time. His jacket, his bus card, his kiddie phone, his schoolbag. He's forever making trips back to school to look for stuff and he's frequently unsuccessful.

My wife's approach is to scream, berate, and insult him. A lot of screaming and shouting and crying at homework time.

So I was thinking he probably has ADHD and I've been wondering if some drug would work or not or how the situation is handled in the US.

So basically he's a kid. Don't put him on pills.

don't open a can of worms that will never close.

Not sure I have that, but I'm guessing I have something similar... I blank out and forget short term stuff, like literally within minutes of absorbing it... Oddly enuff, my long term memory is great.

I know for sure I'm OCD and I know for sure I don't manage my time well. I'm like a cat, but something shiny or blinking in front of me - I'm toast.

I'm no expert...but...I think your wife's approach is wrong. Well, ask her, how is working out? Is she expecting a different result when her attempts don't change?

I'm against medicating kids...but I'm also against kids failing because of an actual issue beyond their control. I am good at understanding that there are things in life I don't understand. This issue could be one of them.

Adults can often compensate or adapt to dealing with ADD/ADHD. Kids can't.

I coach youth sports, so I have a handful of parents that come up to me and say "Hey...if little Johnny is acting differently....here's why...." So often, later, I ask them how its working out...and almost all said everyone's world has changed. The kids, the parents (no longer arguing about homework,etc), the teachers...

I'd look into it. The yelling and fighting over homework isn't worth it. (I see kids yelled at in sports by parents...and its just not a good thing when kids are yelled at by parents when the action by kid can't be controlled by the kid. Leaves the kid wondering "what did I do wrong")

He won't have to be on it forever. At some point, he will be able to adapt and compensate.

I'm a hard ass (conservative) and don't believe in cutting slack to those not trying. I'm against anything politically correct, and I'm sure I come across as a heartless right wing ass on here at times.

That being said, I understand that people are different. And telling a kid to "snap out of it" or "do better!" isn't always the answer.

It's like the electronic thing that doesn't work. Shaking it or yelling at it won't work. It might have to have some wiring modified to make it work. People's wiring is sometimes off, and that medication can be the same as taking that electronic gadget apart and uncrossing the two wires that are causing the problem.

• Like 1

I'm no expert...but...I think your wife's approach is wrong. Well, ask her, how is working out? Is she expecting a different result when her attempts don't change?

No one likes a quitter

This.

And I can't believe I'm acreeing with you.

No one likes a quitter

touché !

In extreme cases kids should be medicated.

this.

I agree with you for once. This is what I hate. If you are an adult and want to try it then do what you want. But slapping your kid with the crap because he or she is wirery is just wrong in my opinion. Soany kids today grow up on the stuff anf know nothing else.

It is a form of meth. Just like pain pills are a form of heroin.

I agree with you for once. This is what I hate. If you are an adult and want to try it then do what you want. But slapping your kid with the crap because he or she is wirery is just wrong in my opinion. Soany kids today grow up on the stuff anf know nothing else.

It is a form of meth. Just like pain pills are a form of heroin.

I usually agree 100% with 12th man.

I think only in extreme situations like Beernuts said.

I'm against it...buuuuut.... I will throw this argument out there....(since some of you mentioned NOT medicating, simply because they are kids)

So...since they are kids, we should just let them deal with the problem on their own?

If they have diabetes or strep throat, etc, pills are okay?

Some of you that would give pills to someone who had strep throat or a sinus infection...there are people that would say "How dare you! The kids/person's body will eventually take care of it on its own, so let them be and quit pushing drugs into them"

So they are another level up from you, as far as the "How dare you give meds to kids" You will argue that its okay. So, you are in the middle. You are like "This pill for this illness, is okay, that pill for that illness isn't okay.

But who are you (I mean any of us) to really know what the best answer is ? You don't nor do I. Not with the case of strep, sinus, diabetes or with ADD

Keep in mind, I don't have a kid, or relative or anyone close to me that is taking anything for anything we are talking about here. I don't even know anyone taking anything for diabetes.

Like I said, I understand that I don't understand every working part of the human body--not physically, or psychologically. So since I understand that I don't understand....it only makes sense to say I don't understand the solutions that are out there either. :dunno:

• Like 1

You have created a situation the hurts the entire family and makes homework time, a time of extreme discomfort for everyone. I know because I was and am guilty of the same. Not worth it. You aren't failing your kid if you aren't pushing him to succeed.