Sign in to follow this  
shotsup

The Martian by Andy Wier

My other favorite common occurence in movies is when guys crash through giant windows or glass doors cleanly. something tells me its alot more potentially gruesome and messy and slicey. Rather than just easily crashing through as the window breaks into a million equal little parts.

Yeah think 30 butcher knives flying around and sticking up from the floor.

My other favorite common occurence in movies is when guys crash through giant windows or glass doors cleanly. something tells me its alot more potentially gruesome and messy and slicey. Rather than just easily crashing through as the window breaks into a million equal little parts.

It is. Had a guy come in when I was doing rounds in the ER who slammed through a window and swallowed glass in the process. Esophagus was severely cut and required surgery to immediately get the pieces out. Small, almost microscopic shards still went through his digestive tract.

And kicking a door down when it's reinforced is dam near impossible like beers said. You can always try it for yourself but you'll probably injure your leg before you get it open

Just saw the movie and it was fantastic. It really brought the book to life faithfully and was riveting even tho I knew exactly what was going to happen. They cut a couple plot points and altered another but it worked and didn't detract at all from the story. Highly reccomend it if you have any interest in any of the themes.

Just saw the movie and it was fantastic. It really brought the book to life faithfully and was riveting even tho I knew exactly what was going to happen. They cut a couple plot points and altered another but it worked and didn't detract at all from the story. Highly reccomend it if you have any interest in any of the themes.

Awesome. Can't wait to see it !!!

Finally saw the movie. Was pretty awesome although very similar to Gravity at the end

Better book. We just saw it night after Xmas (all read it) and book was So much funnier and better overall.

I really felt it I didn't read it I wouldn't "get it" as much.

Better book. We just saw it night after Xmas (all read it) and book was So much funnier and better overall.

I really felt it I didn't read it I wouldn't "get it" as much.

I should've read the book first. Sci fi just isn't my genre though

I should've read the book first. Sci fi just isn't my genre though

Mine either. Read through the techno babble quick and the story flows with constant humor.

Done with Matt Damon. And the whole Boston thing, Bill Burr included. You would think Boston is some huge city.

Saw a lot of this movie and couldn't really stand him. The whole movie seemed like some big ego trip. Preferred Tom Hanks in Castaway. :thumbsup:

Loved the book; movie was kind of meh

I found it to be cutesy, bordering on cutesy-wootsy. :thumbsup:

Loved the book; movie was kind of meh

Same although movie wrapped it up better. Actually HAD an ending unlike book

Read it and watched the movie....one of few times in my opinion the movie was better than the book.

I have a science degree and even i got bored with the books obsession with the science of it all.

Yep. The book got to be over the top boring with the minute details, but it was still entertaining.

The movie was good too.

Saw the movie tonight. One of the better flicks I've seen this year. I also grow my own potatoes.

Saw the movie tonight. One of the better flicks I've seen this year. I also grow my own potatoes.

Do you use your own poop as a starter kit ? Scientifically of course.

Ok so this movie just won awards at the golden globes (like the oscars, its a movie awards show.)....in the comedy category. Im sorry btu this is a drama and not in any way, shape or form a comedy. Does he make a few jokes during the film? Yes, every movie has that. A comedy is where laughs are the focus. This could not be further from the case. Is Jurassic park a comedy? Is the Godfather a comedy? Is goodfellas a comedy? I laugh my ass off at that movie and there are hilarious lines, does that make it a comedy? This has got to be the strangest thing ever at an awards show.

The sequel should be a woman stranded on Venus.

She's got to have a radio though, so she can just sit there and b!tch until some guy comes and gets her.

I think of a man, and take away reason and accountability

My wife thinks it makes perfect sense in the comedy category. She thought it was funny.

Wimmens (we've arguing about this for 10 minutes now) :mad:

My wife thinks it makes perfect sense in the comedy category. She thought it was funny.

When Kristen Wiig came on screen, I thought "what is she doing in this?!" Then she delivered her little quip and I thought "oh, it's that kind of movie", and there was no suspense or doubt from that point on that Matt Damon would live and get off the island. :dunno:

A movie being funny doesnt make it a comedy. This shouldnt have to be said, its just how it it. Its not a comedy in any sense or stretch of the genre whatsoever in any conceivable way.

:lol: And escapes the planet knitting a macrame ladder.

I'm only here because I finally got around to watching the movie, I give it only 1 :thumbsup:

Ridley Scott even said "comedy? Eh?" when he accepted the award

If Ridley Scott was even sober enough to know he was on an awards show I'd be impressed

I haven't read a book since junior high. Shocking, I know. :music_guitarred:

And another piece of the puzzle falls into place!