Sign in to follow this  
Marshall

Bill Musgrave as Raiders' OC

Raiders hired Bill Musgrave as offensive coordinator.

Musgrave, 47, was the Eagles' QBs coach this past season and oversaw Nick Foles' multiple steps back from his breakout 2013 under then-QBs coach-turned-Dolphins OC Bill Lazor. Prior to his time with the Eagles, Musgrave was the Vikings' offensive play-caller under coach Leslie Frazier. Musgrave failed miserably at using Percy Harvin and simply leaned on Adrian Peterson. It's not a promising hire for the Raiders in our opinion, but could be good news for Latavius Murray. Musgrave will have full control of the offense under defensive-minded coach Jack Del Rio. Musgrave worked under Del Rio in Jacksonville.
Jan 19 - 8:33 PM

What do you guys think of this hire? My initial reaction is pretty much meh.

On the other hand, the Vikings players he worked with (particularly QB) didn't have a lot to offer outside of Peterson - and Harvin was/is an absolute headcase. Also, Sanchez seemed to flourish for the Eagles under his influence - albeit temporarily.

I dunno. I keep coming back to 'meh' - but hoping that I'm wrong in that assessment.

Was hoping for Trestman, but the Raiders really need to run the ball. Looking for them to go heavy offensive line in free agency.

On the other hand, the Vikings players he worked with (particularly QB) didn't have a lot to offer outside of Peterson - and Harvin was/is an absolute headcase. Also, Sanchez seemed to flourish for the Eagles under his influence - albeit temporarily.

I dunno. I keep coming back to 'meh' - but hoping that I'm wrong in that assessment.

My first reaction? How does this guy keep finding work? I wish I could be as bad at my jobs as Musgrave has been at his and still collect six-figure checks.

Musgrave's "expertise" is supposed to be with quarterbacks, yet his offenses usually rank in the bottom half of the league. Then again, I'll admit that if I was a head coach and had to choose between hiring Musgrave and calling my own plays, I'd probably do the latter (and I obviously have no such experience).

• Like 1

My first reaction? How does this guy keep finding work? I wish I could be as bad at my jobs as Musgrave has been at his and still collect six-figure checks.

Musgrave's "expertise" is supposed to be with quarterbacks, yet his offenses usually rank in the bottom half of the league. Then again, I'll admit that if I was a head coach and had to choose between hiring Musgrave and calling my own plays, I'd probably do the latter (and I obviously have no such experience).

*nods* Kind of my take on it too, I'm afraid. I keep trying to tell myself that there could've been a worse choice - but for the life of me, I can't think of anyone less inspiring at the moment.

My thing is why do professional teams go for someone who isn't an awesome coach. No they want to go for someone who hasn't proven they are capable.

Someone was going to be the guy

My thing is why do professional teams go for someone who isn't an awesome coach. No they want to go for someone who hasn't proven they are capable.

Exactly. If I'm Jack Del Rio and I've just been given a chance to coach my hometown team, I'm probably not going to settle for an OC who has called plays for three teams in six seasons and showed such inability to get production out of the passing game. Then again, I just realized that Musgrave was JDR's play-caller from 2003-2004.

Exactly. If I'm Jack Del Rio and I've just been given a chance to coach my hometown team, I'm probably not going to settle for an OC who has called plays for three teams in six seasons and showed such inability to get production out of the passing game. Then again, I just realized that Musgrave was JDR's play-caller from 2003-2004.

...which is the really confusing part, when you consider this:

Musgrave was fired by Del Rio ten years ago mainly because the Jaguars offense was one of the worst in the NFL.

http://www.silverandblackpride.com/2015/1/19/7855295/what-bill-musgraves-history-could-mean-for-oakland-raiders-offense

Edit: my italics added.

I know. Folks like to call the NFL an "old boys club". I think they used to hide it a bit a few years ago, but I don't even think they try to hide it now. I certainly would think that unless Adam Gase turned JDR down privately, he would have been well ahead of Musgrave in the pecking order...

Think about it: if you were going to spend multiple millions on someone to run your business and six figures for his right-hand men, would you continually recycle the same mid-managers that have failed multiple times in that same line of business? Furthermore, wouldn't you take more than a few days to make those decisions if/when you did? How many times does a coordinator need to fail before teams start thinking he may not be cut out for that job?

For example, John Fox had another head coaching job less than a week after he was fired. Are you going to tell me first-time GM Ryan Pace and the McCaskey family researched his background, contemplated how his philosophy blended in with their vision, etc. before arriving at that choice?

The Raiders probably called 50 candidates and hired the guy who called them back.

As much as it would be great to get new blood in, sometimes the devil that you know is better than the one that you don't know. HC's and GM's sit down with candidates and ask them about their philosophy and their approach. The guys with NFL experience have a big advantage in that they know the grind and the level of effort required. They know what those GM's and HC's want to hear. They also have connections to get that interview initially.

This is not video games where you are calling plays. You have to game plan and implement an NFL offense. NCAA coaches can't just walk in and do that. Up and coming guys don't have that experience yet, either. So, you end up with a lot of retreads to consider.

Watching the Vikings offense under Musgrave was painful. So predictable is was hilarious. Even though Ponder was junk you knew what was coming. AP on 1st, AP on 2nd, checkdown on third, punt.

• Like 1

Once again the raiders do what the raiders do best and hire awful coaches. Wtf is wrong with these guys? I mean year after year they hire garbage coaches and wonder why their players suck so bad when the play for Oakland but leave and play well somewhere else. Carr is screwed.

Once again the raiders do what the raiders do best and hire awful coaches. Wtf is wrong with these guys? I mean year after year they hire garbage coaches and wonder why their players suck so bad when the play for Oakland but leave and play well somewhere else. Carr is screwed.

Oh man, please don't say that. It would totally suck if Carr was screwed.

FWIW, there's this...though granted, it's not much (and try to ignore the second sentence entirely):

Musgrave said Raiders plan on hiring a QBs coach. He will be involved in hiring of other offensive assistants

Edit: I don't even know what to make of this:

Q: Will you be trying to bring on a quarterbacks coach or will you be more hands on with Derek yourself?

Coach Musgrave: “I think we’ll have a team approach there with Derek. But, after talking with Jack, I think we do intend to bring in a quarterbacks coach. As you can imagine, Jack is a tremendous athlete, grew up there in Hayward. I rely a lot on Jack with our offensive principles. He knows quite a bit about offensive and especially quarterbacks. We’ll all tag team Derek and make sure he’s well-versed.”

Q: How involved on game day was Jack with the offense or is that something he mostly left to you?

Coach Musgrave: “It’s definitely a team effort. Jack is involved in every aspect of the team. Whether it be during the week preparation or on game day, he’s right there with us. We’re all pulling in the same direction, that’s for sure.”

Excerpt from http://www.ibabuzz.com/oaklandraiders/2015/01/20/qa-with-raiders-offensive-cooridnator-bill-musgrave/#more-24588

I'm ok with this hire. Musgrave is already devising ways to get Latavius Murray the ball. After seeing him manufacturing touches for Cordarrelle Patterson last season, my confidence level is high.

In other news, the Raiders hired former 49ers' special teams coordinator Brad Seely on Tuesday night.

"...Seely decided today to not remain...on Jim Tomsula’s staff, and has crossed the bridge to Oakland to work for Jack Del Rio.

In Seely, the Raiders have landed the most decorated and accomplished Special Teams Coordinator in the league..."

Considering Seely's successful history, it looks like the Raiders will stand to benefit from his veteran presence:

http://justblogbaby.com/2015/01/20/oakland-raiders-hire-brad-seely-special-teams-coordinator/