Sign in to follow this  
Mike Honcho

Brady/Belichick Feud?

ESPN Story

THE PATRIOTS ARE in uncharted territory. They haven't just won games and titles. They've won at an unprecedented rate and over an unprecedented span, which makes the feelings of entitlement creeping inside Gillette Stadium unprecedented as well. The Patriots, in the only statement anyone associated with the team would make on the record for this story, responded to specific questions by saying that there are "several inaccuracies and multiple examples given that absolutely did not occur," though they declined to go into detail. But according to interviews with more than a dozen New England staffers, executives, players and league sources with knowledge of the team's inner workings, the three most powerful people in the franchise -- Belichick, Brady and owner Robert Kraft -- have had serious disagreements. They differ on Brady's trainer, body coach and business partner Alex Guerrero; over the team's long-term plans at quarterback; over Belichick's bracing coaching style; and most of all, over who will be the last man standing. Those interviewed describe a palpable sense in the building that this might be the last year together for this group.

Good story. It's obvious the sources are more on the Belichick side....Nonetheless, sounds like Brady is making a mistake here in the name of greed. All parties benefit from riding this thing out until the very end and sticking with the exact formula they've been using. Then when Brady retires, he can say he played until he was 44 years old because of the TB12 Training System or whatever and he can still get his then. The time for getting his isn't now.

edjr, on 21 Dec 2017 - 09:22 AM, said:
Bill Belichick is done with Brady and Kraft.
Will be the new Head Coach / GM for the New York Giants next season
He traded away both young QBs, for next to nothing and is going to say "fock you" for telling me I can't trade TB12

I was way ahead of this

Obviously the Giants stuff is hyperbole, that's what we do here.

The rift is real people. Parcells left because he couldn't shop for the groceries. I thought Kraft was a good football man, obviously he isn't. Couldn't separate football from feelings. Going to cost him big time.

I was just reading up on this. So sad.

Just a story to generate buzz/interest for the playoffs.

Nothing to see here

:rolleyes:

Patriots feud will definitely help the Titans/Chefs ratings :wacko:

A year later, after another Super Bowl win -- the Brady-led, historic comeback from 28-3 to defeat the Atlanta Falcons -- Brady's stature in the organization had grown to the point that he was considered management. New players often address him as "sir."

If true, this is very creepy.

If true, this is very creepy.

Only if tells them to kneel

Trading Garropolo was a monumental mistake

Kraft is going to learn the hard way, again. Don't meddle, dumb fock.

The Chiefs are sending emails for blocks of tickets for this game,up to 10 seats at $25 per seat.

The Chiefs are sending emails for blocks of tickets for this game,up to 10 seats at $25 per seat.

and a patriots feud helps that how?

and a patriots feud helps that how?

You brought up the game I was just adding that as news as nothing is helping the ratings on that one.

You brought up the game I was just adding that as news as nothing is helping the ratings on that one.

:thumbsup:

Could this really be the end of the Tom Brady-Bill Belichick era in New England?

The biggest takeaway from ESPN’s long-form piece about the power struggle between Brady, Belichick and Robert Kraft was, some inside the Patriots building believe this could be Belichick’s final season as head coach of the team. Having to deal with Alex Guerrero and Brady, as well as Kraft meddling in football matters (like the Jimmy Garoppolo trade) may be too much for him deal with. And at 65 years old he could leave the organization he’s been head coach of since 2000.

Although the piece has its flaws, at its core there are a lot of truths. But these may be exaggerations and will ultimately not break up the best coach-player duo in the history of sports.

Belichick and Brady have been working together for 18 years — 18! Over the course of a long tenure together, there are bound to be disagreements, and some big ones at that. The same thing would happen at any other company if a boss and an employee worked alongside one another for 18 years in the same roles, especially when both excel at their jobs.

All three parties involved have huge egos and with what reportedly went down surrounding the Garoppolo trade it could be argued that in fact, none were in the wrong.

Guerrero stuff aside, Brady is somewhat justified in thinking he should get loyalty in exchange for what he’s done for the franchise, especially winning two Super Bowls in three years, all while approaching age 40. Kraft was also right to show loyalty to Brady, especially with Brady not being paid what other top quarterbacks in the league are. And Belichick was also right for wanting to keep Garoppolo for as long as he possibly could, even into the offseason, and then also being upset at Kraft for interfering in football matters.

The person most likely to depart after this season would be Belichick. Kraft and Brady certainly aren’t going anywhere. But would Belichick really make such a rash decision and end his tenure in New England over Kraft getting involved in one football decision and a petty power struggle with a personal trainer?

That isn’t who Belichick is. This is the man who orchestrated the greatest stretch of years in NFL history and is considered the best coach ever to coach the game. He has a plan for his legacy to live on with his two sons, Steve and Brian, establishing careers as coaches themselves. He appeared to genuinely enjoy last year’s Super Bowl run, partially because he had both his sons on his staff and was able to share that moment with them. He would give all that away over something like this?

Even if he did, Kraft wouldn’t let him.

Kraft’s legacy is as much at stake as it is for Brady and Belichick. Does Kraft want to be known as the reason why the Brady-Belichick relationship ended so poorly and the long-time coach called it quits after his 18th season? The Patriots owner wouldn’t let Belichick walk away.

It wouldn’t be the first time Kraft has acted as peacemaker, either. In 2011 when the NFL was trending towards a lockout, it was Kraft who brought the owners and players together and avoided a work stoppage. Many credit him for saving this potential disaster, and he did it all while dealing with the recent death of his wife, Myra.

Kraft also played a role in getting the referees back to work after their lockout in 2012. Kraft has always seemed to have a special way of bringing people together, even when the stakes are at their highest.

It also wouldn’t be the first time in Boston sports history where an owner has played a role in keeping an executive from leaving over disagreements. In 2005, Theo Epstein re-signed from the Red Sox following issues with Larry Lucchino, but thanks to the work of owner John Henry, Epstein returned months later and stayed with the Red Sox, eventually winning the 2007 World Series.

The Patriots are the most well-known and talked about team in all of sports, which is why when a story like this comes out, it typically gets blown out of proportion.

There’s no denying the Patriots’ run of greatness is nearing the end. Brady is 40, Belichick is 65 and said on record that he doesn’t want to coach into his 70s like Marv Levy. Naturally, this cannot last forever.

Once the dust settles, the parties will meet, which in all likelihood would be after the season, and the trio potentially will come to a resolution.

In fact, Kraft will make sure one is reached.

Could this really be the end of the Tom Brady-Bill Belichick era in New England?
The biggest takeaway from ESPN’s long-form piece about the power struggle between Brady, Belichick and Robert Kraft was, some inside the Patriots building believe this could be Belichick’s final season as head coach of the team. Having to deal with Alex Guerrero and Brady, as well as Kraft meddling in football matters (like the Jimmy Garoppolo trade) may be too much for him deal with. And at 65 years old he could leave the organization he’s been head coach of since 2000.
Although the piece has its flaws, at its core there are a lot of truths. But these may be exaggerations and will ultimately not break up the best coach-player duo in the history of sports.
Belichick and Brady have been working together for 18 years — 18! Over the course of a long tenure together, there are bound to be disagreements, and some big ones at that. The same thing would happen at any other company if a boss and an employee worked alongside one another for 18 years in the same roles, especially when both excel at their jobs.
All three parties involved have huge egos and with what reportedly went down surrounding the Garoppolo trade it could be argued that in fact, none were in the wrong.
Guerrero stuff aside, Brady is somewhat justified in thinking he should get loyalty in exchange for what he’s done for the franchise, especially winning two Super Bowls in three years, all while approaching age 40. Kraft was also right to show loyalty to Brady, especially with Brady not being paid what other top quarterbacks in the league are. And Belichick was also right for wanting to keep Garoppolo for as long as he possibly could, even into the offseason, and then also being upset at Kraft for interfering in football matters.
The person most likely to depart after this season would be Belichick. Kraft and Brady certainly aren’t going anywhere. But would Belichick really make such a rash decision and end his tenure in New England over Kraft getting involved in one football decision and a petty power struggle with a personal trainer?
That isn’t who Belichick is. This is the man who orchestrated the greatest stretch of years in NFL history and is considered the best coach ever to coach the game. He has a plan for his legacy to live on with his two sons, Steve and Brian, establishing careers as coaches themselves. He appeared to genuinely enjoy last year’s Super Bowl run, partially because he had both his sons on his staff and was able to share that moment with them. He would give all that away over something like this?
Even if he did, Kraft wouldn’t let him.
Kraft’s legacy is as much at stake as it is for Brady and Belichick. Does Kraft want to be known as the reason why the Brady-Belichick relationship ended so poorly and the long-time coach called it quits after his 18th season? The Patriots owner wouldn’t let Belichick walk away.
It wouldn’t be the first time Kraft has acted as peacemaker, either. In 2011 when the NFL was trending towards a lockout, it was Kraft who brought the owners and players together and avoided a work stoppage. Many credit him for saving this potential disaster, and he did it all while dealing with the recent death of his wife, Myra.
Kraft also played a role in getting the referees back to work after their lockout in 2012. Kraft has always seemed to have a special way of bringing people together, even when the stakes are at their highest.
It also wouldn’t be the first time in Boston sports history where an owner has played a role in keeping an executive from leaving over disagreements. In 2005, Theo Epstein re-signed from the Red Sox following issues with Larry Lucchino, but thanks to the work of owner John Henry, Epstein returned months later and stayed with the Red Sox, eventually winning the 2007 World Series.
The Patriots are the most well-known and talked about team in all of sports, which is why when a story like this comes out, it typically gets blown out of proportion.
There’s no denying the Patriots’ run of greatness is nearing the end. Brady is 40, Belichick is 65 and said on record that he doesn’t want to coach into his 70s like Marv Levy. Naturally, this cannot last forever.
Once the dust settles, the parties will meet, which in all likelihood would be after the season, and the trio potentially will come to a resolution.
In fact, Kraft will make sure one is reached.

Well said Ed. :thumbsup:

Well said Ed. :thumbsup:

:D

Yeah..Anything related to the Pats will help overall ratings.

I don't think something to generate a ratings boost has to be relevant to ALL TEAMS everytime.

So right backatcha :doh:

Edit: And also, think this may provide a boost to ESPN?

Trading Garropolo was a monumental mistake

Trading Brady after yet another deep playoff run this season then signing Jimmy would have been the best move. How often does a team get action on a 40yr old player? Multiple teams would come calling hoping to squeeze a 2yr run from him.

They can fix all the relationship stuff but you cant undo that Garropolo trade

Imagine if the Packers had traded Rodgers for a 2nd round during the 2007 season :o

(I am not saying JImmy G = Rodgers, but it works for this)

Good story. It's obvious the sources are more on the Belichick side....Nonetheless, sounds like Brady is making a mistake here in the name of greed.

The same greedy Brady making 50 cents on the dollar for the past 10 years?

Just a story to generate buzz/interest for the playoffs.

Nothing to see here

yup.,

this is the same media formula for each season... NE makes the playoffs, adds to their legacy, and the media drops some bombshell story to generate buzz/interest/clicks/revenue

there probably was a difference in opinions between the three - on many things... it happens with all personal and professional relationships... the difference is the NE isn't filled with headcase, drama queens and they'll work it out.

Good Job ESPN... I climbed out of my igloo this morning and the world was ablaze with this non-story.... waiting for the "they hate their coach" or "brady smashed his phone" follow up.

yup.,

this is the same media formula for each season... NE makes the playoffs, adds to their legacy, and the media drops some bombshell story to generate buzz/interest/clicks/revenue

there probably was a difference in opinions between the three - on many things... it happens with all personal and professional relationships... the difference is the NE isn't filled with headcase, drama queens and they'll work it out.

Good Job ESPN... I climbed out of my igloo this morning and the world was ablaze with this non-story.... waiting for the "they hate their coach" or "brady smashed his phone" follow up.

Burying your head in the sand, won't make it any less true.

I never believed in "they hate their coach"

This story didn't even start with ESPN.

Burying your head in the sand, won't make it any less true.

I never believed in "they hate their coach"

This story didn't even start with ESPN.

Brady's age, Jimmy G, and Guerrero are certainly all issues/problems.

I just dont't think the organization is falling apart because of them.

I know that's boring... but it's probably a lot closer to the truth than the Brady/Belichick Bomb Cyclone. Keep clicking though.

Brady's age, Jimmy G, and Guerrero are certainly all issues/problems.

I just dont't think the organization is falling apart because of them.

I know that's boring... but it's probably a lot closer to the truth then the Brady/Belichick Bomb Cyclone. Keep clicking though.

why was JG traded mid season for a 2nd round pick?

what is your honest to god thought on that?

Brady. Roids, or some other banned substance. Book it.

Brady. Roids, or some other banned substance. Book it.

wouldn't surprise me... no athlete would surprise me today... Guerrero is shady, no question... water and avocados has made you the greatest QB who played well into his 40's? sketchy...

• Like 1

The same greedy Brady making 50 cents on the dollar for the past 10 years?

Maybe greedy isn't the right word.

I think he is being impatient to his own detriment.

It is the first week of the NFL Playoffs, NE is not even playing and this is the lead story everywhere.

Add terrible and inadequate reporting and coverage of “the game” to the reasons NFL viewership is down.

Just a way to drum up ratings through drama.

:bench:

There's drama in a patriots playoff run? From who, the Bills? Chiefs? The Steelers who they own? I want to crown em. I'm gonna go ahead and crown em.

crown their ass?

certainly seems like BB is setting up a big FU to kraft. dealt qb prospects and prepping his coordinators for HC jobs.