Sign in to follow this  
Washington, D.C., may allow 16-year-olds to vote for president in the 2020 election...

Thank God they only have three electoral votes and they don't mean anything...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/04/17/washington-d-c-may-allow-16-year-olds-vote-president-2020-election/523301002/

WASHINGTON -- By the 2020 presidential election, 16 and 17-year-olds may be able to vote in the nation's capital.

Washington, D.C. may lower the voting age for federal and local elections to 16. The legislation was introduced last Tuesday by D.C. council member Charles Allen (D-Ward 6), who said he was inspired by the high schoolers that came to D.C. to protest at the March for our lives.

Advocates of the measure say they have the support of seven of 13, a majority of D.C. Council members.

"I think people are getting excited about this, especially with what's going on in the nation right now in terms of youth leading social change. So I think that people are going to be very excited about it and want to get on board," said Alisha Chopra, 18, a senior at School Without Walls.

The Parkland students who survived a mass shooting in February are already credited for changing laws in Florida.

Now, a group of young people in D.C. are working on getting the vote for 16 and 17-year-olds.

"We work, we pay taxes, we care for family members, we can drive, we can do so many other things. So, adding voting onto that isn't going to be that big of a responsibility. We can handle it," said Alex Shyer, a 16-year-old Sophomore at Woodrow Wilson High School.

The last time the voting age was changed in this country was four decades ago. The Vietnam War was raging, and students protested that it was unfair 18-year-old could be drafted but could not vote.

In 1971, Congress passed the 26th Amendment giving people 18 and older the right to vote.

In 2013, Takoma Park, Md., allowed 16 and 17-year-olds to vote in local elections, and other cities, including Berkely, Calif., also extended voting rights. But while cities can only extend voting rights in municipal elections, the District of Columbia is treated a state in some cases, and can, therefore, change the voting age to allow 16 and 17-year-olds to vote for President of the United States in addition to local elections.

Can't buy a gun till 18, can't buy cigs till 18, can't drink till 21 but hey, let's let the little fockers vote. :doh:

I'm sure our bored libtards will be in shortly to defend this. :bench:

Can't buy a gun till 18, can't buy cigs till 18, can't drink till 21 but hey, let's let the little fockers vote. :doh:

I'm sure our bored libtards will be in shortly to defend this. :bench:

Do you mean "bored" as in "I'm bored. I need something to do."?

Or do you mean it as "Hey, this online board is a cool place to post."?

I think until you're old enough to deal with the consequences of voting you shouldn't be able to vote...

Do you mean "bored" as in "I'm bored. I need something to do."?

Or do you mean it as "Hey, this online board is a cool place to post."?

Are you new here? :unsure:

I think until you're old enough to deal with the consequences of voting you shouldn't be able to vote...

I think if youre paying taxes, you should be able to vote. You guys are always taking about skin in the game...

I think if youre paying taxes, you should be able to vote. You guys are always taking about skin in the game...

Thus, welfare leaches should forfeit their voting rights.

you don't vote from China, right?

Thus, welfare leaches should forfeit their voting rights.

Perhaps, but that doesn't follow from what he said.

It's a vein attempt to garner votes. Votes that only matters to the stoopid.

Geez! I was just askin'!

Bored is a very old reference here.

It started with a thread about posting on the Manage Board, as Mange Bored

There is also Tommy Maddox, David PatteRn, never :bench: Stephen Davis, need help on this forearm (forum), Quentin Griffifths, and tons of other inside jokes, long before the Geek Club message bored was all thats left

Bored is a very old reference here.

It started with a thread about posting on the Manage Board, as Mange Bored

There is also Tommy Maddox, David PatteRn, never :bench: Stephen Davis, need help on this forearm (forum), Quentin Griffifths, and tons of other inside jokes, long before the Geek Club message bored was all thats left

Thanks for the explanation!

NorthernVike commented to me a few weeks back that I was misspelling "board" and I was just following up. :lol:

you don't vote from China, right?

I dont, but I could by absentee ballot if I wanted to. Since my ballot is in Tennessee, it would largely be a waste of time.

you also mispeled misspelled

:lol:

I dont, but I could by absentee ballot if I wanted to. Since my ballot is in Tennessee, it would largely be a waste of time.

How would it be less of a waste anywhere else?

Dems know their base is from the youth....Not a ridiculous play on their part--Makes sense if they want to increase votes for their side.

Dems know their base is from the youth....Not a ridiculous play on their part--Makes sense if they want to increase votes for their side.

So you have no problem with this?

No more calling them kids then. No more making excuses for them. No more excusing their behavior as "not knowing any better", or "they're just children". I've seen people on this board say the voter ID laws are unconstitutional because it should be easier to vote. Or that voting is the single most important right in a democracy. Well, if they're going to let uninformed, uneducated about real life issues, taxes, etc. Then let them smoke, drink, serve in the military.

If they're considered old enough or informed enough to help shape democracy, then they're old enough or informed enough to help defend it or enjoy the freedoms that come with it.

What a stupid focking idea.

No more calling them kids then. No more making excuses for them. No more excusing their behavior as "not knowing any better", or "they're just children". I've seen people on this board say the voter ID laws are unconstitutional because it should be easier to vote. Or that voting is the single most important right in a democracy. Well, if they're going to let uninformed, uneducated about real life issues, taxes, etc. Then let them smoke, drink, serve in the military.

If they're considered old enough or informed enough to help shape democracy, then they're old enough or informed enough to help defend it or enjoy the freedoms that come with it.

They should also be charged as adults when they commit crimes. :thumbsup:

There are mature, conscientious, 16 year olds out there, but not in DC. DC residents might be (are) the absolute most ignorant population of any US municipality or territory. This includes Guam, Puerto Rico, etc.

There are mature, conscientious, 16 year olds out there, but not in DC. DC residents might be (are) the absolute most ignorant population of any US municipality or territory. This includes Guam, Puerto Rico, etc.

I'm sure there are conscientious 16 y/o's out there. I'd be willing to bet over half couldn't name their Representative/Senator/Governor. Hell, I'd be willing to bet half couldn't name the Vice President.

I'm sure there are conscientious 16 y/o's out there. I'd be willing to bet over half couldn't name their Representative/Senator/Governor. Hell, I'd be willing to bet half couldn't name the Vice President.

Considering the District of Columbia doesn't have Senators or a Governor, maybe you shouldn't be voting either. :o

Considering the District of Columbia doesn't have Senators or a Governor, maybe you shouldn't be voting either. :o

I'm talking 16 y/o's in general, not just DC. Smartasss :lol:

So you have no problem with this?

Oh God no. I don't think 16 yr olds should be making decisions on who our elected officers are. Hell even 18 year olds are too dumb to do that these days. It's a stupid idea but not stupid if you are a liberal democrat trying to up your votes.

Yeah? Better up that number buddy. I would say better than half of 22 yr olds wouldn't get that right either.

Oh God no. I don't think 16 yr olds should be making decisions on who our elected officers are. Hell even 18 year olds are too dumb to do that these days. It's a stupid idea but not stupid if you are a liberal democrat trying to up your votes.

There are people every age that are too dumb to vote...

Still, ask them to name them, and I'll bet they have no idea.