Sign in to follow this  
MTSkiBum

Paid off my student loans

I paid off 55,000 in student loans in 3 years. I made my last payment over the weekend. Thankfully I was able to get the loans even though I did not have any leverage. My degree enabled me to get a great job.

I did it by eating cheaply, driving an old vehicle with close to 200,000 miles, not having cable, living in a cheap apartment, and having cheap electronics. Having a good job helps, but many people graduate with a good job, but still take a while to pay their loans off.

• Like 1

I bet your parents didn't even buy you Apple stock or a retro car.

Great job. I remember paying off a 30K credit card bill in 2 years by scraping by and going without. Felt immense relief and have not used a credit card in 5 years.

• Like 1

Awesome... and jealous! I still have about 20 months left on mine.

Congratulations :cheers:

I am seriously jealous. Without my wife and I's student loan payments we would be focking loaded. Paying off early seems unlikely though given the amounts at issue :(

Although i seriously feel this is a great accomplishment to pay off your debts and become debt free, I feel like saying "dumbass"

I have a feeling the government is going to do something major, perhaps just short of forgiving all student debt over the next few years.

Nonetheless, good job. Has to be a great feeling.

Although i seriously feel this is a great accomplishment to pay off your debts and become debt free, I feel like saying "dumbass"

I have a feeling the government is going to do something major, perhaps just short of forgiving all student debt over the next few years.

Nothing that major. This will still work out heavily in SkiBum's favor.

The government is working around the edges with public service loan forgiveness and more lenient payment schedules, but no way they could do a whole sale erasing of student loan debt. That sort of action is reserved for bailing out Wall Street only

Nothing that major. This will still work out heavily in SkiBum's favor.

The government is working around the edges with public service loan forgiveness and more lenient payment schedules, but no way they could do a whole sale erasing of student loan debt. That sort of action is reverted for the bailing out Wall Street only big banks and heavily unionized auto companies only.

Congrats dude. We would be in a lot better shape if more people were as diligent. First round is on me next time you are in town and want to grab a drink.

Way to go. :thumbsup:

It's still possible no matter what the media tells you.

I bet your parents didn't even buy you Apple stock or a retro car.

:lol: I've never been so confident opening a thread and knowing it was NOT started by GF. :thumbsup:

That sort of action is reserved for bailing out Wall Street only

:cry:

Seriously, dude?

I got paid to go to school during my apprenticeship. I have to pay the wifeys tuition though. I pay cash. Dont like to pay interest.

I paid off 55,000 in student loans in 3 years. I made my last payment over the weekend. Thankfully I was able to get the loans even though I did not have any leverage. My degree enabled me to get a great job.

I did it by eating cheaply, driving an old vehicle with close to 200,000 miles, not having cable, living in a cheap apartment, and having cheap electronics. Having a good job helps, but many people graduate with a good job, but still take a while to pay their loans off.

Wow congrats man. Not for paying off the loans but for being able to be that disciplined over 3 years ... very few as in maybe 2-5% of people out of school would have the will power to do that. Must of have a good upbringing. :thumbsup:

Talented people don't have student loans. It's a tip.

He doesn't have student loans so I guess that makes him pretty talented.

I dont get this. How else was I going to pay for school? The fact that I was able to get student loans, meant I could get a degree in chemical engineering. This opened up careers to me that would have not been possible without the degree.

I am extremely happy that I was able to get student loans, even though it meant I started my career in debt.

He doesn't have student loans so I guess that makes him pretty talented.

Is this JTB fella an idiot or what? His statement was doubly stupid - first because it was just dumb to start with, and second because it didn't even apply to the OP or his current situation. :doh:

Is this JTB fella an idiot or what? His statement was doubly stupid - first because it was just dumb to start with, and second because it didn't even apply to the OP or his current situation. :doh:

Pretty stupid statement all the way around.

I dont get this. How else was I going to pay for school? The fact that I was able to get student loans, meant I could get a degree in chemical engineering. This opened up careers to me that would have not been possible without the degree.

I am extremely happy that I was able to get student loans, even though it meant I started my career in debt.

Scholarship. Academic or athletic. Thank you baseball!!

I saw what you were saying...

After rereading my original post I see how it sounded crass. I lucked out.... MLB paid for my education.

After rereading my original post I see how it sounded crass. I lucked out.... MLB paid for my education.

They wasted their money.

Congrats MT...nice to be out of that.

I only had about $5k after college to pay off. But remember paying it off, and our cars and feeling a huge burden lifted.

Congrats. What are your plans for you new windfall of free and clear cash?

Yeah, seriously :dunno:

Sorry...I guess my point is that not only wall street gets bail outs.

the IRS gives peenies (like the sp?) on the dollar to help you get caught up, credit card companies do the same...I'm sure that there are more examples than just the Feds giving bail outs to evil wall street. :dunno:

Congrats. What are your plans for you new windfall of free and clear cash?

Saving for retirement.

This. Look, it's this simple, there are less jobs, and more people than there were 30 years ago. Student debt has skyrocketed, and it's no longer dischargable via bankruptcy. So no jobs + lotta student debt = bubble about to burst.

But congrats. Way to power through it. Chemical engineering should be a pretty lucrative field to be in, right about now.

Saving for retirement.

You need to prioritize saving for your next ski vacation :cheers:

Also, between those suggesting acquiring student debt is for the untalented and others critiquing you for not waiting for a government bail-out there is a whole lotta stupid in this thread.

Well done, very impressive.

Also, between those suggesting acquiring student debt is for the untalented and others critiquing you for not waiting for a government bail-out there is a whole lotta stupid in this thread.

True statement.

Irregardless of how much money my family has, NYU still expected me to pay my bills.

See, you wouldn't know this but I also applied to Columbia for grad school, and got rejected. I coulda been a snotty, white aristocratic, ivey league a-hole.

So ... You all have that to be thankful for.

I have had so many problems with Sallie Mae ... i will never send them a dime. Long, long, story.

Stunner...

Let me put it this way:

sallieMaesucks.com was already taken.

It's not just me. It's not as if the problems just materialzed because I posted in this thread.