Sign in to follow this  
mmmmm...beer

2018 Taxes....

So... with the new tax plan in place for the first year... I was curious on how we'd do. Obviously not having W-2's yet, and doing some really rough ciphering from our last check stubs for the year, our mortgage statement, property taxes, etc....

Looks like... I'll owe something like $373 bucks... Now that could change depending on us counting up all our donations/tithes/etc... but I think it's going at least a ballpark figure.

All in all... okay.. I'm about where we want to be. I'm looking for a huge return.. just don't want to be smashed with a $5-10k bill.

We get around $2500 back pretty much every year but $1000 goes right back to the city. I changed jobs this year so it will be interesting to see how it works out.

We are right in that sweet spot where we get focked to the tune of 25-27% taxes but dont earn enough to hire someone to get us out of it. I am going to max out my 401(k) contribution this year partly due to how high our taxes are.

You guys do your own taxes? When I was in the military it was real easy to do. Mainly cause I just plugged everything in to turbo tax from W2 and that was it. Nothing extra. Nowadays its a little more complicated. So we are gonna go have someone do it for us. Mainly cause I have a lot of school expenses to claim. Books, uniforms, this online thing called ATI that was focking $400 every dam semester, parking permit, gas to get to school, etc. Saved all my receipts. I just dont know what all I can claim and how much of it I can claim. Plus I didnt work since I had hardly any dam free time (except for the hurricane).

We get around $2500 back pretty much every year but $1000 goes right back to the city. I changed jobs this year so it will be interesting to see how it works out.

We are right in that sweet spot where we get focked to the tune of 25-27% taxes but dont earn enough to hire someone to get us out of it. I am going to max out my 401(k) contribution this year partly due to how high our taxes are.

I am not being an a$$ but how can you not know roughly where you will be? You are a smart guy and with all the free software out there I don't get it.

I am going to get focked again this year.

Same here but it seems less painful if they fock me a little every pay check.

I'll end up +/- $500.

As a CPA friend once told me, if you don't want to pay high taxes don't make as much money or make all your earnings capital earnings.

I am not being an a$$ but how can you not know roughly where you will be? You are a smart guy and with all the free software out there I don't get it.

I know, for me, that I am in a tough spot. With the new brackets, I could be okay (+- $1000) or I could be focked. New laws means much confusion. If you know where you will be, God loves you.

Even in recent years, my wifes withholdings and AMT had me guessing

I know, for me, that I am in a tough spot. With the new brackets, I could be okay (+- $1000) or I could be focked. New laws means much confusion. If you know where you will be, God loves you.

Even in recent years, my wifes withholdings and AMT had me guessing

I am lucky. In June or July software company's had the brackets updated but the AMT is a biotch.

We usually get 4-5k back every year. We never had updated our W2s after we got married, so we both still had claimed 0.

We usually get 4-5k back every year. We never had updated our W2s after we got married, so we both still had claimed 0.

I have 2 kids, a house and extensive flatulence. I claim 0 and the wife claims 0 plus $100. I still owe.

I have a rough idea sure. I made a little more this year than last so I expect I will get the typical back.

Not sure yet. I got a couple really good bonuses this year that will change things. Thankfully, I don't have to do them myself since my wife's uncle is a partner in some big Chicago accounting firm. He has someone do them for us every year.

Isn't the standard deduction 24k for married folks? You would need quite a bit of write off to go over that. I may actually do my own this year because it should be simpler

Isn't the standard deduction 24k for married folks? You would need quite a bit of write off to go over that. I may actually do my own this year because it should be simpler

It should be simpler this year for many people. I have been doing my own taxes for the last 15 years or so. I used someone before that who was a CPA and I knew more about the tax laws than he did. Ever since then, I get Tax Cut software and do it myself after plugging in the numbers. It also allows me to swear without worrying about what other people think. :mad:

It should be simpler this year for many people. I have been doing my own taxes for the last 15 years or so. I used someone before that who was a CPA and I knew more about the tax laws than he did. Ever since then, I get Tax Cut software and do it myself after plugging in the numbers. It also allows me to swear without worrying about what other people think. :mad:

I used Turbo tax a few times. Theast time I used it, which was about 10 years ago, it told me that I would be owing 6k. That didn't make any sense at all. I went through and rechecked everything I entered and couldn't find where the issue was. I eventually took them in and got 5k back. I decided paying the 250 for someone else to make sure they get done right was worth it.

I use HR Block Online... it's pretty easy. Sorta plug and play. We only have 2 W-2 s as our income.

We usually beat the 24k Standard deduction... 12k mortgage interest... 5k property taxes... 7.6k health insurance... 2650 HSA... 2 kids...

I have 2 kids, a house and extensive flatulence. I claim 0 and the wife claims 0 plus $100. I still owe.

do you get a greenhouse gas penalty?

:doublethumbsup:

Maybe you guys have heard about this. Guy in my classes (before he dropped out this summer) was saying theres something you can claim on your taxes only 4 times in your life thats related to school where you can get over half of the tuition you paid back on your taxes. Cant remember what it was he said but thought someone here might know. If not, Ill see what the person Im having do my taxes says

Can we self identify as someone in a lower tax bracket? My preferred pronoun is "on welfare".

Can we self identify as someone in a lower tax bracket? My preferred pronoun is "on welfare".

anything goes!!!! in bizarro libtard world you can even write off your safe space. but only up to the amount leftover from your therapy pet carryforward. :(

What, you hate $?

Bad idea. You let the gov't hold 4-5k with zero interest every year. Over the past 8-9 years you have lost 1000s. Had you put it into an S&P starting in Jan. 2009, monthly at say $400/month, the first year you would have had around an additional $1900. Yeah the govt gave you zero. Now taking that $1900 and leaving it in the market AND continuing to add that same $400/mo to it every month, every year, taking out the original $4500 every year, to do what you do with it, you would have accumulated (conservatively) $15000 on that first $1900. Yeah, you lost out on more than $50000.

By the way, that's what I did.

The usual excuse is 'we would spend it if we had it'. So lame.

Not only do they not get my $ ahead of time. I give them $500 every year when I'm good and ready to...in March of the next year.

What, you hate $?

Bad idea. You let the gov't hold 4-5k with zero interest every year. Over the past 8-9 years you have lost 1000s. Had you put it into an S&P starting in Jan. 2009, monthly at say $400/month, the first year you would have had around an additional $1900. Yeah the govt gave you zero. Now taking that $1900 and leaving it in the market AND continuing to add that same $400/mo to it every month, every year, taking out the original $4500 every year, to do what you do with it, you would have accumulated (conservatively) $15000 on that first $1900. Yeah, you lost out on more than $50000.

By the way, that's what I did.

The usual excuse is 'we would spend it if we had it'. So lame.

Not only do they not get my $ ahead of time. I give them $500 every year when I'm good and ready to...in March of the next year.

Blah focking blah. If you ONLY put $5 a week away youd be a millionaire!!

I'm fairly financially responsible and still claim zero. I know all the arguments. With interest rates at zero forever...meh.

If my employer said..we will take your bonus and change it into a salary increase I'd probably still opt for the bonus. That tax refund check is nice. Plus, as lame as this sounds, it is something to look forward to. That has value.

That tax refund check is nice. Plus, as lame as this sounds, it is something to look forward to. That has value.

Sure if you hate $, fuckin moron. He would still have that $4500 at the same time. Not interest rates tard, investing it. Jesus, you are fuckin stupid.

Sure if you hate $, fuckin moron.

Ok listen up boy. I made a point, without name calling. I know your argument but in this case, whatever. No need to be a bag of d1cks about it.

Sure if you hate $, fuckin moron. He would still have that $4500 at the same time. Not interest rates tard, investing it. Jesus, you are fuckin stupid.

G0ddamn it. I replied before you doubled down on the name calling. Did someone financially rape you back in the day? Holy dow Jones batman

Totally right though...had that guy bought bitcoin...man hed be RICH right now!!!

Ok listen up boy. I made a point, without name calling. I know your argument but in this case, whatever. No need to be a bag of d1cks about it.

it's not just an argument. It's common sense money management. Anyone getting any $ back at the end of the year is simply a moron. It cannot be argued. ideal is zero but if you are capable of managing your $, you pay them in March of the next year.

Totally right though...had that guy bought bitcoin...man hed be RICH right now!!!

Now you are taking stupid to retard levels.

it's not just an argument. It's common sense money management. Anyone getting any $ back at the end of the year is simply a moron. It cannot be argued. ideal is zero but if you are capable of managing your $, you pay them in March of the next year.

I know this. Unfortunately I dont always make perfect financial decisions. I mean jesus, I finance my car!! And I have a traditional mortgage!!! If I only paid $100 a month more toward the principal just THINK about how much id save. The math is outrageous@!!

Now you are taking stupid to retard levels.

you're right. People always make good investment decisions

Here are the states with the highest tax rates for single filers.

1. California

Tax bracket: $1 million or more

Top tax rate: 13 percent

2. Hawaii

Tax bracket: $200,000 or more

Top tax rate: 11 percent

3. Oregon

Tax bracket: $125,000 or more

Top tax rate: 10 percent

4. Minnesota

Tax bracket: $160,020 or more

Top tax rate: 10 percent

5. Washington, D.C.

Tax bracket: $1 million or more

Top tax rate: 9 percent

6. Iowa

Tax bracket: $71,910 or more

7. New Jersey

Tax bracket: $500,000 or more

8. New York

Tax bracket: 1,077.550 or more

9. Vermont

Tax bracket: $416,650 or more

10. Wisconsin

Tax bracket: $247,350 or more

Top tax rate: 8 percent

https://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-finance/states-where-high-earners-face-the-highest-taxes

Any do their returns yet and benefit from new tax rules? Im probably average..3 kids, filing married, 15k in mortgage interest, 3 cars, 1k charity, etc. We usually get some back, not alot though.

Other than you know, not paying rent, there is no more tax advantage to having a mortgage :thumbsdown:

Other than you know, not paying rent, there is no more tax advantage to having a mortgage :thumbsdown:

Perhaps for the unwashed masses, but us at the GC pay off our mansions up front in cash.

Yup...Taxes were super simple this year...The standard deduction far exceeded itemizing.

Got about the same back this year as in previous years as well. So that all worked out.