mmmmm...beer

Rough day at Casa de Beer...

Our young American Bulldog got into something.. been throwing up everywhere for days. Wife took her in.. stomach compacted with something... $588 just to do xrays, bloodwork to tell us that... only thing they can do is ultrasound and endoscopic surgery or full on surgery... wife wouldn't even tell me how much...

Just, "way more than we can afford". (Which I'm assuming is thousands) So... she'll have to take her in to be put down tomorrow... super tough call, and I'm in South Dakota on TDY... she's got to do it on her own.

She told the kids they're dog probably won't make it past tomorrow she's so sick... kids are bawling hard.

Just a tough situation all around.

Tough deal man. Sorry to hear. I worked with a girl once who was willing and did put up over $10,000 to keep her 14 yo cat alive. The attachment part is a tough road to go down. They are equal to family. And sometimes better even.

Insurance on the pet?

Tough deal man. Sorry to hear. I worked with a girl once that was willing to up to over $10,000 to keep her 14 yo cat alive. The attachment part is a road to go down. They are equal to family. And sometimes better even.

Insurance on the pet?

Had it.. until about 6 mo ago... dumped it. $60 a month for 2 years seemed out of hand. Obviously hindsight now.. but ya.

The kids just called me crying... I really didn't want her to say anything to them... so they've had a super sh!tty entire evening... and night now.. and I suppose morning before school tomorrow.. and if they come home to a dead dog...

Sheesh...seriously no more pets for my wife... she can't handle it.

Wife is texting me... she doesn't seem that sick.. maybe she'll come out of it...

Dog can't even drink water... pukes it up.. has been for 3 days... stomach full of whatever she got into... and won't come up.

Sheesh...seriously no more pets for my wife... she can't handle it.

My GF wants a dog in the worst way. She makes more than enough money to afford a dog and a caretaker if she needed to travel for work (I travel myself). But her brother and his wife have a very old and very loved dog that my GF thinks is the greatest. I think she realizes she may not be able to handle something like you are going through.

Rough situation, for the kids especially. Sorry man, but it’s a teaching moment to remind them that life is precious and fleeting.

Our young American Bulldog got into something.. been throwing up everywhere for days. Wife took her in.. stomach compacted with something... $588 just to do xrays, bloodwork to tell us that... only thing they can do is ultrasound and endoscopic surgery or full on surgery... wife wouldn't even tell me how much...

Just, "way more than we can afford". (Which I'm assuming is thousands) So... she'll have to take her in to be put down tomorrow... super tough call, and I'm in South Dakota on TDY... she's got to do it on her own.

She told the kids they're dog probably won't make it past tomorrow she's so sick... kids are bawling hard.

Just a tough situation all around.

No disrespect but you are flush with cash....I thought? How much is too much to save your dog?

No disrespect but you are flush with cash....I thought? How much is too much to save your dog?

Not spending several thousand dollars on fixing a dog. This isn't one of our children. I don't mean to sound cold, but it's a dog.

Not spending several thousand dollars on fixing a dog. This isn't one of our children. I don't mean to sound cold, but it's a dog.

Plus, certain breeds and certain dogs have this thing where their innards tend to flip pretty randomly. There's nothing to say that you don't spend a ton of money fixing this. And then six months later? You're in the same boat. I've had friends whose dogs innards just flipped randomly. And they've spent a small fortune until finally the vet and they agreed that this was no way to keep going. Even with all the money in the world, damn tough on the dog too.

Yeah, it's a tough call. We had a similar instance with our cat about 6 years ago. There was no guarantee the surgery was going to work either in my case so the decision was a bit more easier.

but it's a horrible decision for someone to have to make and ultimately you're right, it's just a dog.

• Like 1

How old is it?

How old is it?

She's 2... so yeah... that part really sucks. But she's still just eats everything, this isn't shocking.

She's 2... so yeah... that part really sucks. But she's still just eats everything, this isn't shocking.

Yeah that sucks man, being so young. I prolly wouldn't pay for it either though. She's a dog, the surgery might not work or she could get hit by a car tomorrow. Morbid way to look at it, life just blows sometimes.

• Like 1

Thoughts and prayers from me to you and yours.

Hold out hope that whatever is there passes or comes up through vomiting.

Till then, at least he/she is with ones that love her/him and is not alone

• Like 1

:(

sorry to hear dude.

worst thing I've ever done was putting our boxer down a couple years ago. She was 8. Can't even imagine

rest easy Davey Boy Smith

• Like 1

Sorry buddy. That's always tough stuff.

A few months back, my ex's 21 year old cat (Tiger) got out and got clipped by a car. The 8 year old daughter and I actually found Tiger the next morning alive but in pain with an obvious broken leg. It was going to cost $2,000 for them to remove the leg but save Tiger. The ex and I talked and I gave her a big picture view. She listened to me and agreed with every word of my logic, but then immediately wrote the check because they could afford it. And I completely understood and supported her......In the end, the surgeon decided Tiger wouldn't survive the operation, so they returned the check and we had him put to sleep....My ex was too much of a mess, so she sat there crying while I explained it to our daughter. The daughter started hyperventilating and told us she can't live in a world like this. It was her first experience with death obviously, and while she is a strong kid and I knew it was just one of life's leaning/growing moments, seeing her in that much pain is a moment I'll never forget.

Not to hijack, but I just wanted to explain that I freshly know what you are going through and feel for you. Sorry MmmBeeer

• Like 1

Sorry buddy. That's always tough stuff.

A few months back, my ex's 21 year old cat (Tiger) got out and got clipped by a car. The 8 year old daughter and I actually found Tiger the next morning alive but in pain with an obvious broken leg. It was going to cost $2,000 for them to remove the leg but save Tiger. The ex and I talked and I gave her a big picture view. She listened to me and agreed with every word of my logic, but then immediately wrote the check because they could afford it. And I completely understood and supported her......In the end, the surgeon decided Tiger wouldn't survive the operation, so they returned the check and we had him put to sleep....My ex was too much of a mess, so she sat there crying while I explained it to our daughter. The daughter started hyperventilating and told us she can't live in a world like this. It was her first experience with death obviously, and while she is a strong kid and I knew it was just one of life's leaning/growing moments, seeing her in that much pain is a moment I'll never forget.

Not to hijack, but I just wanted to explain that I freshly know what you are going through and feel for you. Sorry MmmBeeer

Yeah we've had a couple older dogs die previously, and they really are teaching moments. Thanks gents...

In the end they are still just a pet. Yes, it's hard to lose them but lets keep it in perspective. They are not your children.

• Like 1

That sucks man. Doesn't sound like there's any chance of a good outcome. :(

First pet your kids have had to have put down, I assume. Not that it's much of an upside but at least the dog hasn't been a part of the family for 10 or 12 years. Just tell them that the dog is suffering and it's your/their responsibility to end that suffering as quickly and painlessly as possible. It's part of being a pet owner. The worst part.

• Like 1

In the end they are still just a pet. Yes, it's hard to lose them but lets keep it in perspective. They are not your children.

Aids is too good for you

Aids is too good for you

It'll get you first. :wave:

Losing a pet is one of the hardest things to go through. Sorry Beer.

• Like 1

Losing a pet is one of the hardest things to go through. Sorry Beer.

Thanks man... it's not as rough in me.. I'm a farm kid.. we butchered and stuff died all the time. But I totally get it for the kids...

Ok

10 years ago I was flat broke and my dog got hit by a car. The easy choice, put the 4 year old down. Instead, I opted to give it my best and I just buried him at age 14. 10 years of additional memories I’m glad we made together.

This is my advocation for the dog since he can’t speak.

• Like 1

Ok

10 years ago I was flat broke and my dog got hit by a car. The easy choice, put the 4 year old down. Instead, I opted to give it my best and I just buried him at age 14. 10 years of additional memories Im glad we made together.

This is my advocation for the dog since he cant speak.

I'm not putting you down as you seemed to have taken care of the situation quite well, but the majority of people who are broke should not own pets at that time of their lives. It's not a good life decision normally.

I'm not putting you down as you seemed to have taken care of the situation quite well, but the majority of people who are broke should not own pets at that time of their lives. It's not a good life decision normally.

For some reason, people have this idea that a bandaid to poverty is taking on responsibility for a living thing. Wether it’s poor minority families having 5 kids or just a pet, the mentality is the same. It’s the definition of an added expense.

For some reason, people have this idea that a bandaid to poverty is taking on responsibility for a living thing. Wether it’s poor minority families having 5 kids or just a pet, the mentality is the same. It’s the definition of an added expense.

Broke may have been a bit strong. I owned a home and had a good job. I didn’t have $2,300 layin* around but am glad I was able to scrape it together.

Every family needs to weigh their situation.

With it being so young, I might buck up for the treatment. Our pets have been family members.

Broke may have been a bit strong. I owned a home and had a good job. I didnt have $2,300 layin* around but am glad I was able to scrape it together.

Gotcha. I just remember knowing too many people living with 0 assets and no stable career having cats and/or dogs.

• Like 1

For some reason, people have this idea that a bandaid to poverty is taking on responsibility for a living thing. Wether its poor minority families having 5 kids or just a pet, the mentality is the same. Its the definition of an added expense.

This is true. It's a real commitment and should taken seriously for the long run. A lot of people don't though. And those havings kids and can't afford it, that's just criminal.

• Like 1

Yeah man, we spent thousands of dollars on our dog. Special schools and trainers, the whole shebang. Nothing seemed to work. He was still nonverbal, could barely do basic problem solving and easily distracted.

I mean, they've come a long way but they obviously still have a lot more work to do when it comes to canine autism.

This is true. It's a real commitment and should taken seriously for the long run. A lot of people don't though. And those havings kids and can't afford it, that's just criminal.

Or it could be a huge benefit to poor families with children. Pets can be an inexpensive form of entertainment for the family and teach the children how to care for something other than themselves. Plus if mom and dad are gone working all the time they pet can be a great companion for the children.

Whoa. Thats some profound wordsmithing right there.

Whoa. Thats some profound wordsmithing right there.

Who are you? :dunno:

Ok

10 years ago I was flat broke and my dog got hit by a car. The easy choice, put the 4 year old down. Instead, I opted to give it my best and I just buried him at age 14. 10 years of additional memories I’m glad we made together.

This is my advocation for the dog since he can’t speak.

We spent over $1000 on a Siamese kitten once that the vet told us had no chance at a normal life,he ended up living into his teens(never could walk straight again) but so glad we opted to do it.

BTW,sorry beer that's a decision I wish on no one.

If my dog got sick/injured I would do whatever necessary to make sure he was okay. I see my dog as more of a family member rather than an object I own or posses though.