Sign in to follow this  
DonS

Baseball HOF class of 2019

Griffey and Ripken both should have been unanimous for not only their career but the entirety of their contributions.

Rivera being unanimous just shows it was the New York writers all these years not voting for people. It's not the Rivera isn't deserving, it's that others clearly were.

Griffey and Ripken both should have been unanimous for not only their career but the entirety of their contributions.

Rivera being unanimous just shows it was the New York writers all these years not voting for people. It's not the Rivera isn't deserving, it's that others clearly were.

Hogwash

You are an idiot. It's votes being public

I can respect that argument. Dont agree but respect it.

Mo was special - 1st ballot worthy as anyone.

He deserves to be in... I said earlier in previous threads that he should be in (even though earlier in here I said he shouldn't)... Mainly because I can't believe that he was on 100% of the ballots returned... It was a knee-jerk reaction...

The issue is that he was the first unanimous player... There have been many others that should have been unanimous way before Rivera was voted in... I am just more ticked at the voters to allow him to be the first...

He deserves to be in... I said earlier in previous threads that he should be in (even though earlier in here I said he shouldn't)... Mainly because I can't believe that he was on 100% of the ballots returned... It was a knee-jerk reaction...

The issue is that he was the first unanimous player... There have been many others that should have been unanimous way before Rivera was voted in... I am just more ticked at the voters to allow him to be the first...

More brilliant analysis by Posty. You think others should have been unanimous? That's a unique stance.

This post is hidden because you have chosen to ignore posts by Hardcore troubadour. View it anyway?

:dunno:

This post is hidden because you have chosen to ignore posts by Hardcore troubadour. View it anyway?

:dunno:

It's about time.

The "unanimous' argument is in itself - focking retarded. You're either HOF worthy or you're not - period.

The unanimous debate was born and fueled by egotistical, self important, dumbass writers. Writers with tiny diicks who got off wielding what little power they had........It's 2019 - time to get over.

The closer is similar to the DH IMO... Neither of them should be getting in...

But I guess it makes sense to have a closer and two designated hitters going in together...

Ozzie Smith got in on the first ballot and he was as big a one dimensional player in the HoF conversation.

Mussina should not make it in. Very good, but never really great.

This is where it becomes "so and so is in, so should Mussina."

In this case the so and so is Jack Morris.

Floodgates are open. Of course, Harold Baines will be the litmus test/Mendoza line. :thumbsdown:

• Like 1

The "unanimous' argument is in itself - focking retarded. You're either HOF worthy or you're not - period.

The unanimous debate was born and fueled by egotistical, self important, dumbass writers. Writers with tiny diicks who got off wielding what little power they had........It's 2019 - time to get over.

Dude, calm down... Relax... My opinion is just one crappy one like everyone else's opinion here...

Yes. This is a terrible argument for people getting in to any hall. Comparing stats from different generations is so weak.

Dude, calm down... Relax... My opinion is just one crappy one like everyone else's opinion here...

I am calm - enjoying the discussion. Don't take everything as an attack.

I am calm - enjoying the discussion. Don't take everything as an attack.

Sorry about that chief...

Rivera was the best closer of all time. So, you could argue that the a guy who was the best ever at what he does deserves to be a unanimous choice.

But closer is a role, not a position. A closer pitches one inning, maybe two.

How does his unanimous selection look when compared to other great pitchers in history who were not unanimous?

Nolan Ryan - 491 of 497 votes. Who are the 6 morons who voted no on this guy?

Greg Maddux 555 of 571 votes

Randy Johnson 534 of 549 votes

What about other position players who weren't unanimous?

Babe Ruth 215 of 225 votes. Gimme a focking break already.

Hank Aaron 406 of 416.

Griffey Jr. 437 of 440

These voters are nuts. They've basically turned Cooperstown into a middle school popularity contest.

It's all meaningless now.

I should add my 2 cents, you all know how I feel about the MLB HOF

:rolleyes:

Vudu just said it and said it best

Rivera was the best closer of all time. So, you could argue that the a guy who was the best ever at what he does deserves to be a unanimous choice.

But closer is a role, not a position. A closer pitches one inning, maybe two.

How does his unanimous selection look when compared to other great pitchers in history who were not unanimous?

Nolan Ryan - 491 of 497 votes. Who are the 6 morons who voted no on this guy?

Greg Maddux 555 of 571 votes

Randy Johnson 534 of 549 votes

What about other position players who weren't unanimous?

Babe Ruth 215 of 225 votes. Gimme a focking break already.

Hank Aaron 406 of 416.

Griffey Jr. 437 of 440

These voters are nuts. They've basically turned Cooperstown into a middle school popularity contest.

Well said...

:pointstosky:

I should add my 2 cents, you all know how I feel about the MLB HOF

Vudu just said it and said it best

You love the grandeur, majesty and integrity of the players and the process?

Jeter should be the second unanimous one next year.

4 NO votes for Ty Cobb

20 NO votes for Ted Williams

23 NO votes for Willie Mays

28 NO votes for Joe DiMaggio

4 NO votes for Ty Cobb

20 NO votes for Ted Williams

23 NO votes for Willie Mays

28 NO votes for Joe DiMaggio

Bonds and Clemens not in :lol:

Bonds and Clemens not in :lol:

They will get there...

Been reading some things that said with all of the cleanup of the current lists and not many coming down the road that are worth it, they could see the 15-16% increase to get them in...

Jeter should be the second unanimous one next year.

No problem with that, very deserving.

They will get there...

Been reading some things that said with all of the cleanup of the current lists and not many coming down the road that are worth it, they could see the 15-16% increase to get them in...

Not going to reargue the debate, but saw this yesterday, thought you would be interested.

SB Nation

Though Bonds and Clemens have made a substantial push in recent years, there are only three years remaining on the writers’ ballot to get to 75%.

The gains of the last few years have come from two sources — increased support from new Hall of Fame voters, and a recent culling of the electorate.

In 2015 the Hall of Fame made an important change to its voting process, culling the field of eligible BBWAA voters to essentially only active or recently active members. BBWAA members who haven’t covered the game in over 10 years were no longer eligible for a Hall vote, a departure from the previous policy of giving long-retired writers a ballot.

The effect was drastic, with 549 total ballots received for the 2015 election trimmed down to just 440 in 2016. That number has been fairly steady since, including 425 ballots received this year.

The first-time Hall of Fame voters — those who have reached 10 years in the BBWAA — from 2017 to now have showed strong support for both Clemens and Bonds. Out of 36 first-timers in the last three elections, 32 voted for Clemens (88.9%) and 31 voted for Bonds (86.1%).

From a very simplified perspective, the voting pool has replaced an older group much less likely to vote for Bonds or Clemens with voters who will support their Cooperstown candidacy.

But even if 2020-22 sees the same surge of first-time voter support for Bonds and Clemens that they got the last three years, it won’t be enough. If, hypothetically, 36 new voters all replace “no” votes in the next three elections, 32 more votes for Clemens would put him at a still-short 67.1%, with 31 more Bonds votes would put him at 66.4%.

In other words, Clemens and Bonds will need some current voters to change their minds