Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Fantasy Superbowl Predictions

Superbowl Prediction Contest

Post your lineups here accordig to the rules set by Mr. Davis in his article. To help us manage this, please DO NOT make multiple posts. If you wish to change your lineup before the deadline (midnight on August 31st, 2007), simply edit your original post. The T-shirt is ready and waiting for the winner! Good luck...

(Sample Prediction by Mike Davis)

QB: Peyton Manning (Colts)

RB: LaDainian Tomlinson (Chargers)

RB: Rudi Johnson (Bengals)

WR: Javon Walker (Broncos)

WR: Marques Colston (Saints)

TE: Todd Heap (Ravens)

K: Robbie Gould (Bears)

Defense: New England Patriots

Logic: Although I have a lot of fun looking at people’s Super Bowl predictions this far in advance, I don’t put a lot of stock in what any one person has to say until after the season has begun. I think there’s a tendency in the FF community to overemphasize particular nuggets of information in the off-season—to reason from a lineman’s strained ligament to a busted year for a running back, so I decided not to think very hard about which teams are genuinely most likely to make it to the Super Bowl. Under the rules of this contest, it’s impossible to have more than 2 players active in the Super Bowl, so I figured that the way to maximize the possibility of having 2 players would be to cover as many bases as possible in the AFC (where the field seems to be wide open) and to take just 2 players from the NFC (since the Saints and Bears appear to be clear frontrunners in that conference).

I couldn’t resist Manning as my QB. The fact that the Colts are poised for a repeat helps, but he is the 2nd-most durable QB in the league (behind Favre), so it seems likely that he’ll actually make it to the Super Bowl intact if the Colts get that far. The argument for Tomlinson was similar, as he presents us with a rare combination of talent and durability on a team that is quite likely to make it to the post-season. As for which AFC teams I selected, I simply consulted the latest Las Vegas odds on which teams were likely to win the AFC Championship and tried to balance that with concerns about productivity by position. I know the Rudi Johnson choice will look odd to some readers, and I would have preferred to take Chad Johnson as my Bengal and the Denver running back, but you’re nuts if you think I’m going to try to settle on a Denver running back half a year in advance of a contest. I would have preferred to have the Ravens as my defense and to take a wide-out or tight end from New England, but too many things need to settle down with the Pats for me to make that choice with any confidence. (Could the Pats make it to the big game with Randy Moss riding the pine? You betcha.)

I'll give it a shot:

QB: Tom Brady

RB: LT

RB: Westbrook

WR: Terrell Owens

WR: Marvin Harrison

TE: Shockey

K: Gould

DEF: Saints

Logic: Manning would be the obvious choice, but I really don't believe the Colts will make it back this year. Brady then becomes the obvious choice at QB for me. SD still has a great team, so LT was a no-brainer. I took Westbrook because I think the Eagles have a real shot at making it to the Bowl this year. Redskins and Giants will suck, so they just have to get past the Cowboys. Hedging my best, next was TO who's shown that he can perform in the big show. Harrison's on there just because I couldn't find another receiver on the remaining teams that I thought would go all the way, and he's a hedge in case I'm wrong about the Colts. Shockey's in there, not necessarily because I think they Giants can make it, but when you look at the TE's on the other possible teams it's worth it to take a flier on the G-men having a dream season. Chicago could get back to the superbowl just because of lack of talent in the NFC, but I'm not willing to invest more than a kicker in them. I originally intended to take an offensive player from the Saints, but I think they have a down year due to the tougher schedule and don't make it all the way. But at the end, there wasn't much to choose from on D.

Of course, in a week I'll probably change my mind and do these all over again. :D

QB Tom Brady:

- NE's chances of reaching the SB are better than ever. This is the most offensive talent Brady has ever been surrounded with. He's a QB with a great chance to make it to the SB and a great chance to put up gaudy stats.

RB: Ladanian Tomlinson

- Marshall Faulk, Priest Holmes, and now Ladanian Tomlinson. These are the known cheat codes for fantasy football; enter them and you will win the game. SD has 9 games against inexperienced (or poor) QBs this year (KCx2 - Croyle/Huard, DENx2 - Cutler, OAKx2 - Russell, HOU - Shaub, MIN - Jackson/Bollinger, TEN - Young). The Chargers could have a playoff bye week locked up by week 14.

RB: Joseph Addai

- With the Colts among the favorites in the AFC, Addai seemed like the best candidate to choose from the arsenal of skill players in IND. Wayne and Harrison are a toss up for me and I took Brady over Manning. So... Addai it is.

WR: Terrell Owens

DAL has an excellent chance to represent the NFC and Owens is a fantasy beast. If only he was a little classier, he'd be the LT of Wide Receivers.

WR: Chad Johnson

CIN underachieved last year. Palmer's rehab/injury and all the off field incidents were just too much of a distraction. *IF* CIN can get it together, they could be the most explosive offense since the 2000 Rams. Chad has a decent chance to get to the SB and if he's there, he may win the fantasy SB all by himself.

TE: Vernon Davis

SF is a nice dark-horse in the NFC. If they get there, I like the young QB to rely heavily on his TE during the biggest game of their lives.

K: David Akers:

IF PHI gets there, they still don't have a power running game. Akers seemed like as good a kicker as any to start in this format.

D/ST: New Orleans Saints

With NO among the favorites to represent the NFC, I had to get a NO "player" on this fantasy roster. Maybe Reggie Bush will have a couple of return TDs in the Big Game?

QB: Drew Brees (Saints)

RB: Joseph Addai (Colts)

RB: Lawrence Maroney (Patriots)

WR: Chad Johnson (Bengals)

WR: Terrell Owens (Cowboys)

TE: Antonio Gates (Chargers)

D/ST: Ravens

QB Carson Palmer

RB Tomlinson

RB Steven Jackson

WR Randy Moss

WR Chad Johnson

TE Vernon Davis

K Mike Nugent

DEF Chargers

Logic: palmer is 1 year removed from his surgery and has all the weapons. LT is the best RB in the game and right behind him now is Stephen jackson who plays in a dome and has a great offense. Randy Moss will catch a lot od TD's from Brady in the red zone and Chad Johnson is Palmer #1 target. Vernon Davis is a beast and if healthy all year will be Alex Smith's favorite target. Nugent hit 22 consecutive FG's last year and with an improved Jets running game will have more opportunities. With jamaal williams and merriman they are the best def hands down

QB - Tom Brady

RB - Travis Henry, Joseph Addai

WR - Steve Smith, Larry Fitzgerald

TE - Antonio Gates

K - Shayne Graham

D - Pittsburgh

Logic: My current Super Bowl favorite in the AFC is Denver, and I believe Henry is by far the most valuable fantasy asset there so he has to be the pick. The Pats are a close second, so brady was an easy choice too. I don't really think the Chargers have a shot, but Gates is such higher potential than any other TEs so I included him. In the NFC I considered the Cards, Panthers, Cowboys, Saints in that order. I wanted a Card there because they're currently my pick -- you read that right. And the Panthers are a close second, so that one was easy. I decided I don't feel the Saints can make it with their defense so I left them off the list. With Dallas I'd love to add TO -- he was my last omission -- but I didn't have the WR room and wanted to have someone from Indy and Pitt there. At kicker, Graham scores a lot and I don't like Cicny's chances but they're as good anyone left I suppose.

QB: Tom Brady (Patriots)

RB: LaDanian Tomlinson (Chargers)

RB: Cedric Benson (Bears)

WR: Reggie Wayne (Colts)

WR: Steve Smith (Panthers)

TE: Jason Witten (Cowboys)

K: Mike Nugent (Jets)

Defense: Philadelphia Eagles

Logic: Unlike Mike Davis I believe the weakness of the NFC opens the door to a few more teams to make it to the Super Bowl so I tried to split the two conferences up evenly between the candidates to make it in order to maximize the potential of having 2 players in the game. I don’t see New Orleans as a legit contender as I think their defense remains weak and their offense will be slowed down a little from last year. My “surprise” team to make it is Carolina and if they do Steve Smith will be a huge part.

I still see Chicago as the class of the NFC and to win contests like this sometimes you must go outside the box. Hence the Benson pick. Most will take elite RBs but if their respective teams don’t make it to the Bowl, what good does it do you? Cowboys and Eagles are my other two NFC contenders and they fill the weaker spots.

In the AFC everyone has to consider NE and Indy as the favorites and I do also. Brady will be a high point producer if it’s the Pats and I’ll take Reggie Wayne as a hero for the Colts. LT2 is just the best and must be on my roster. As far as Nugent, I’m a Jets season ticket holder. I can dream, right?

QB Carson Palmer

RB Tomlinson

RB Steven Jackson

WR Randy Moss

WR Chad Johnson

TE Vernon Davis

K Mike Nugent

DEF Chargers

Logic: palmer is 1 year removed from his surgery and has all the weapons. LT is the best RB in the game and right behind him now is Stephen jackson who plays in a dome and has a great offense. Randy Moss will catch a lot od TD's from Brady in the red zone and Chad Johnson is Palmer #1 target. Vernon Davis is a beast and if healthy all year will be Alex Smith's favorite target. Nugent hit 22 consecutive FG's last year and with an improved Jets running game will have more opportunities. With jamaal williams and merriman they are the best def hands down

You may want to re-read the rules.

You may want to put Cedric Benson on the right team. :nono:

:dunno:

I had Alexander there at first but decide against the Hawks in the Bowl.

QB: Tom Brady (NE)

RB: LaDainian Tomlinson (SD)

RB: Steven Jackson (STL)

WR: Reggie Wayne (IND)

WR: Terrell Owens (DAL)

TE: Tony Scheffler (DEN)

K: Olindo Mare (NO)

DEF: Chicago Bears

Logic: I put 4 AFC and 4 NFC teams I thought would most likely make the Super Bowl. I then picked players I thought would do well in the big game. I picked LT first for obvious reasons. Steven Jackson was my choice for STL as there are better QBs than Bulger and Holt seems to tail off at the end of every year. So that brought me to the Manning/Brady choice. I need to have one person from NE and one from IND or I would have no chance. I used my 2 RBs, and since Brady spreads it around so much, I couldn't pick a NE WR. That makes Wayne the choice for IND. Chicago doesn't really have a good enough choice for many position players, so i picked their D. That leaves TE and K...I figured i would pick 2 of the teams least likely to make the SB since the 2 positions won't score too much anyway. That leaves my favorite sleeper TE and whoever the NO kicker is (yes, i had to look that up).

QB Brees - Saints

RBs Tomlinson - Chargers, Addai - Colts

WRs Owens - Cowboys, Moss - Pats

TE Heap - Ravens

K Graham - Bengals

Def Bears

Logic : None whatsoever

QB: Tom Brady, Pats

RB: Reggie Bush, Saints

RB: Brian Westbrook, Eagles

WR: Reggie Wayne, Colts

WR: Chad Johnson, Bengals

TE: Antonio Gates, Chargers

K: Robbie Gould, Bears

DEF: Ravens

Logic? Logic? Really? There is some? My convoluted thinking at this moment is I feel the AFC field is more wide open than the NFC field. The Saints and the Bears should go deep into the playoffs again with the Eagles making some noise if McNabb can stay on the field. I tried to pick the players that I believe would have the biggest impact on their team getting to the big game: Brady making use of all those big-time weapons at WR and I wary of Maroney's health; Bush taking his game up a notch and making the Saints offense even more dangerous; Westbrook doing what he's been doing for a few years--what Bush is hoping to do; Wayne making it difficult for opposing defenses to pick their poison vs. Indy's offense; Johnson represents what would be the Bengals harnessing their off field nutcases and channeling it into all-pro energy; Gates having a huge year to take more pressue off these so-so receivers...the only way SD is going; the Bears winning a close one with Gould; the Ravens defense dominating.

QB - Tom Brady (NE)

RB - LaDanian Tomlinson (SD)

RB - Joseph Addai (IND)

WR - Chad Johnson (CIN)

WR - Steve Smith (CAR)

TE - Eric Johnson (NO)

K - David Akers (PHI)

Def - Bears (CHI)

Logic: This is the group of players that I think are going to win for me.

RB: Reggie Bush (Saints)

RB: Ladanian Tomlinson (Chargers)

WR: Randy Moss (Patriots)

K: Akers(Eagles)

Defense: Denver Broncos

Akers: no power running game.

Peyton: duh.

Bush: Playmaker on the NFC.

LT: If Chargers make it, its his show.

TO: TD machine.

Moss: Will want the ball in the big game.

Heap: Outside of Gates, best TE to have a chance to make it to the super bowl.

Defense: Very improved on that side of the ball.

QB Mark Bulger: (Rams)

RB Mo-Jo Drew: (Jaguars)

RB Sh Alexander: (Seahawks)

WR R Wayne: (Colts)

WR Steve Smith: (Panthers)

TE A Gates: (Chargers)

K O Mare: (Saints)

Def NE: (Patriots)

I think I just won this with my Jones-Drew pick. The Jags are going to the SHOW!

QB: Tom Brady - New England Patriots

RB: Ladainian Tomlinson - San Diego Chargers

RB: Reggie Bush - New Orleans Saints

WR: Terrell Owens - Dallas Cowboys

WR: Reggie Wayne - Indianapolis Colts

TE: LJ Smith - Philadelphia Eagles

K: Jason Elam - Denver Broncos

D: Chicago Bears

Logic: None!

QB Peyton Manning

RB Willis McGahee

RB LT2

WR Marques Colston

WR Randy Moss

TE LJ Smith

K - Josh Brown

D/S Bears

QB: Tom Brady (Pats)

RB: Joseph Addai (Colts)

TE: Antonio Gates (Chargers)

K: David Akers (Eagles)

Defense: Chicago Bears

Logic: The Bears will win

A little early for SB predictions, but here we go:

QB-- Tom Brady--NE

RB-- Shaun Alexander--SEA

RB-- LaDainian Tomlinson--SD

WR-- Reggie Wayne--IND

WR-- Marques Colston--NO

TE-- Jason Witten--DAL

K-- David Akers--PHI

D/ST-- Bears--CHI

Wow! That was tough. Good luck everyone :cheers:

QB: P. Manning

RB: R. Bush

RB: S. Alexander

WR: T. Owens

WR: C. Johnson

TE: A. Gates

K: D. Akers

Def: NE Patriots

Logic: :cheers:

ok here is my guess at it

QB----- palmer

Rb------- Gore

Rb------- s. jackson

Wr------- Owens

Wr------- s. smith ( panthers )

Te--------- Gates

Def-------- baltimore

K --------- O. Mare

Logic I think Palmer will build off of last year which was a solid year. Gore and jackson were 2 of the top runningbacks last year and i expect them to both do well. owens will be a big threat this year with new offense, smith had a solid year last year and missed a few games will always be main focus of the offense. gates what else can i say, baltimore i feel will be top in the nfl this year and mare has now joind a team that can move the ball

RB: Steven Jackson (Rams)

WR: Marques Colston (Saints)

Defense: (Eagles)

Here's my guess:

QB: Brady

RB: Westbrook, Alexander

WR:Harrison, TJ Houshmanzadeh

TE: Witten

K: Mare

Def: Bears

Predictions subject to change daily! I'm still holding out hope for the yankees!!

I'll take a shot

QB- Drew Brees -New Orleans

RB Addai -Indy

RB - L Tomlinson -San Diego

WR - C.Johnson Cincinnati

WR - Holt - St. Louis

TE - Heap - Baltimore

K- Akers - Philly

DEF - Bears

No reasons really

Conference championships I believe will be :

NFC - Chicago vs New Orleans

AFC - Indy vs San Diego

:rolleyes:

Hi all. This is my first post. This competition looks fun, lemme take a shot at it.

QB: Tom Brady (Pats)

RB: Shaun Alexander (Seahawks)

WR: Terrel Owens (Cowboys)

TE: Jeremy Shockey (Giants)

Defense: Ravens

Logic: First, I knew I had to do 50-50, to maximize the possibility of having two players scoring for me in the big game. I'm thinking the Pats make it to the Superbowl, and Brady is the only player on the team that is a sure thing for some respectable points. LT is a no brainer, since SD has a good chance of making it and he is a monster. SA because i think the Seahawks have a good chance of making it, but im not sold on anyone else on the offense, so this was more of a forced choice. I think the Pats will meet the Cowboys in the big game, and TO is "a TD machine" after all. I dont think the Colts will make it back, but just in case, I put wayne as my 2nd reciever (tough choice between him and harrison). Shockey always has a good chance of snagging a TD reception, and I think the Giants will be better than last year, even without Tiki. I dont think the bears were even that great last year, but if they do make it back, i have thier kicker in the least significant position. Finally, Baltimore has a great defense and are a good enough team to have a serious shot at the Superbowl. Teams I seriously considered instead of the Colts: Bengals, Jacksonville, and Denver. Teams i considered instead of the Bears: Saints, Eagles. ok, now don't steal my strat. Peace!

I may have missed something, but what is the scoring for the D/ST?

ETA: And shouldn't this be pinned? :pointstosky:

Ehhh, Fantasy Superbowl Predictions - I updated it in Mike's article. Let me add the D/ST scoring to the post. We'll pin it here in a couple weeks as we get closer to the start of the season.

Here you go...

QB: Donavan McNabb (Eagles)

RB: Willis McGahee (Ravens)

TE: Jason Witten (Cowboys)

Defense: New England Patriots

RB: Ladanian Tomlinson (Chargers)

WR: Randy Moss (Patriots)

WR: Chad Johnson (Bengals)

TE: Jason Witten (Dallas)

K: Robbie Gould (Chicago)

DEF: Baltimore Ravens

QB - Brady (NE)

RB - LT (SD)

RB - Westy (PHI)

WR - Wayne (IND)

WR - Colston (NO)

TE - Heap (BAL)

K - Brown (SEA)

D/ST - Da Bears

RB: Travis Henry (Broncos)

TE: Chris Cooley (Redskins)

K: Adam Vinatieri (Colts)

Defense: Ravens

QB: Tom Brady (PATS)

RB: LT (SDC)

WR: Marvin Harrison (Colts)

WR: TO (Cowboys)

K: Shane Graham (Cinci)

QB - Tom Brady (Patriots)

RB - LaDanian Tomlinson (Chargers)

RB - Stephen Jackson (Rams)

WR - Chad Johnson (Bengals)

WR - Javon Walker (Broncos)

TE - LJ Smith (Eagles)

K - Robbie Gould (Bears)

DEF - New Orleans Saints

heres my shot at it....

one other note however....isnt there a HIGH likelyhood that this will end up in a tie?

esp if some of the favored teams get to the dance?

i.e. if its PATs vs. Boys for example, i think Brady and Owens will be selected by more than 1 person?

anyway, im sure you guys will be happy giving out multiple Tshirts! :headbanger:

heres mine:

QB - Brady (PATS)

RB - Addai (COLTS)

RB - Benson (BEARS)

WR - DJ Hackett (S=HAWKS)

WR - Chad Johnson (BENGALS)

TE - Gates (CHARGERS)

K - Akers (EAGLES)

D/ST - RAvens (duh...RAVENS)

some logic: well i didnt pick any saints or broncos. i thought about reggie bush, but in an offense like that or eagles or pats, you never know whos gonna do well...although maroney might if NE makes it. i think seattle is underrated this year and are a dangerous team...coulda picked branch, but i am uying into the hype which is DJ hackett. well see. as for SD, gates is the unquestioned man. basically, yes, im guessing

RB: Laurence Maroney (Patriots)

WR: T. Owens (Cowboys)

K: Jason Elam (Broncos)

Defense: Chicago Bears

:doublethumbsup:

QB: Tom Brady (NE)

RB: LaDainian Tomlinson (SD)

RB: Reggie Bush (NO)

WR: Chad Johnson (CIN)

WR: Terrell Owens (DAL)

TE: Dallas Clark (IND)

K: David Akers (PHI)

Cool, trying for a t-shirt

QB Brady

RB Westbrook

RB Gore

WR Holt

WR Steve Smith

TE Gates

K Elam

Def Dallas

Logic? ummm, you figure it out. I want a t-shirt.

QB - Drew Brees (Saints)

RB - Lawrence Maroney (Patriots)

RB - Joseph Addai (Colts)

WR - Vincent Jackson (Chargers)

WR - Bernard Berrian (Bears)

TE - Vernon Davis (49ers)

K - David Akers (Eagles)

DEF - Baltimore Ravens