Sign in to follow this  
edjr

We've tried the instant replay thing in sports. Can we go back to the way it was?

The can of worms has been opened.

Instant replay is being abused and used incorrectly and ruining the spirit of the game.

Ask the Nationals.

What a joke.

The can of worms has been opened.

Instant replay is being abused and used incorrectly and ruining the spirit of the game.

Ask the Nationals.

What a joke.

Ask the Jets while you're at it Homer II.

Ask the Jets while you're at it Homer II.

why do you think I made this thread today :wacko:

Wasn't sure I'd have to specify the jets, seeing it was yesterday and it's beyond obvious replay did not work.

If you axe IR - you're gonna have to axe a lol of the cameras too....... No way you can not have IR with the whole tv/internet watching world seeing what the cameras saw. The masses would flip out.

Wasn't sure I'd have to specify the jets, seeing it was yesterday and it's beyond obvious replay did not work.

Now I'm a mind reader?

Didn't you already make a separate Jets thread about the "fumble"?

If you axe IR - you're gonna have to axe a lol of the cameras too....... No way you can not have IR with the whole tv/internet watching world seeing what the cameras saw. The masses would flip out.

Was a play during the Patriots game yesterday.

When I saw it live I thought the Patriots should have challenged.

Guess what? they did a quick announcement instead of showing the replay.

No one saw a replay. Not the coaches, not the audience, no one.

No challenge. I have no idea if they really should have challenged.

Why does the network get to decide what is replayed?

Now I'm a mind reader?

Didn't you already make a separate Jets thread about the "fumble"?

Nationals got screwed a week ago. Did they really? well the call was correct, but I'm tired of guys getting called out because they barely came off the bag. Silly. Not what replay is for.

Jets got screwed yesterday. Did they really? the call, by the letter of the rule is correct. but replay is overreaching it's boundaries.

All started with the tuck rule. was the call correct? yes, but raiders got hoses

Why does the network get to decide what is replayed?

I'm guessing bcoz of $$$... Doesn't make it right, but the NFL, like most every other biz - has sold itself out.

I'm guessing bcoz of $$$... Doesn't make it right, but the NFL, like most every other biz - has sold itself out.

I was beside myself. has happened other times, too.

That is your answer on how the NFL can get rid of people freaking out. Close play, don't show a replay.

I was beside myself. has happened other times, too.

That is your answer on how the NFL can get rid of people freaking out. Close play, don't show a replay.

Networks are shelling out multi-Billion dollar tv contracts to the NFL - no way they dare piss off what viewership they still have left. Not showing replays would do it.

Networks are shelling out multi-Billion dollar tv contracts to the NFL - no way they dare piss off what viewership they still have left. Not showing replays would do it.

Not all.

Just the close ones

I go to a LOT of bruins games.

Guess what they don't show on replay in the building when sh1t goes against the bruins? you guessed it. replays.

Don't want to get the fans all pissed off and start throwing sh1t

Nationals got screwed a week ago. Did they really? well the call was correct, but I'm tired of guys getting called out because they barely came off the bag. Silly. Not what replay is for.

Jets got screwed yesterday. Did they really? the call, by the letter of the rule is correct. but replay is overreaching it's boundaries.

All started with the tuck rule. was the call correct? yes, but raiders got hoses

Agree

The Cubs got screwed by replay on Saturday as well.

The call on the field was out at the plate.

In this case replay allows NY to examine the split second the ball hits Contreras' glove vs when his foot moves in. He didn't camp out in the path waiting for the throw. He moved there and caught the ball simultaneously. How is a catcher supposed to play the position to those standards?

Agree

The Cubs got screwed by replay on Saturday as well.

The call on the field was out at the plate.

In this case replay allows NY to examine the split second the ball hits Contreras' glove vs when his foot moves in. He didn't camp out in the path waiting for the throw. He moved there and caught the ball simultaneously. How is a catcher supposed to play the position to those standards?

Yup. Saw that live.

Again. Replay ruining the spirit of rule/game

Catcher did what you're taught since you lace up the cleats.

GREAT PLAY penalized because of replay

Joke

I would rather keep IR intact, and work towards ensuring that proper calls are made. Even with the errors in judgement, it is better to have it available than not.

I would rather keep IR intact, and work towards ensuring that proper calls are made. Even with the errors in judgement, it is better to have it available than not.

It's never going away. Obviously.

but some of this silliness needs to stop.

it's crazy to me that the simplest, most basic thing that technology could be used for is WHERE EXACTLY was the ball... did it cross the line? was it out of bounds, etc... yet they don't.

No sensors on the balls, sidelines, endzones, etc.

Instead we ultra-slow-motion replay a "catch" or "fumble" and debate to now end whether or not somebody really had the ball, possessed the ball, caught the ball, or dropped the ball.

How finely do we want to resolve "motion" because everything is focking moving all the time - nothing is truly "still" if you slow down and/or zoom in the video enough.

While we are at it.

Can we remove the TV strike zone too?

If I wanted to watch a video game, I'd play one

I've heard all my life "every umpire has his own strike zone"

yet on TV every strike zone is the same, no matter the batters height as well :wacko:

I agree, that is freaking annoying as hell...

While we are at it.

If I wanted to watch a video game, I'd play one

I've heard all my life "every umpire has his own strike zone"

yet on TV every strike zone is the same, no matter the batters height as well :wacko:

Also, axe the in-game manager interview.... We're watching the game, we know wsup - nobody gives a fock what they say anyways. :thumbsdown:

No we can't.

And here's why: instant replay was not instated because we, the viewer, were getting all these replay looks in high definition. There's no longer any "well maybe from this angle" or "gee it kinda looks like" because now we get all angles in 1080p or better.

So back in the day you said "well the guy right there on the field definitely saw it better, we'll defer to him." No longer the case, or so people think.

That's why instant replay came into existence. Because literally the whole world could see something conclusively showing that the call on the field was wrong while the refs/umps could not.

'Course there have been unintended consequences as there always are. But we're stuck with them or you try to figure out a better replay system/protocol. But we ain't going back to the dark ages of SD and two cameras on the field.

Also, axe the in-game manager interview.... We're watching the game, we know wsup - nobody gives a fock what they say anyways. :thumbsdown:

When else would we see that cvvnt Ken Rosenthal's bow tie?

conclusively

You're a funny guy

I'm not asking IR anything

• Like 1

There is still a human element with replay, but most of the time, replay gets the call right. Centralizing the replay "booth" has been a good time-saver, but my biggest complaint with replay is that it remains a significant momentum stopper for the game. Right now, they can stop the game at any time to review the previous play, and it still takes longer than it needs. Not sure what the solution is other than improved technology, which could certainly be afforded by the NFL, but might not be affordable on the college level.

While we are at it.

I know I'm in the minority but I'd be very happy if MLB started using questec (or whatever) for balls and strikes. These inconsistent strike zones are infuriating and do more to decide games than anything else. Make the strike zone the same for everyone too.

The biggest problem with IR is the time it takes. I chuckle when we (the fan) already know a call is getting reversed/upheld and the umpire hasn't even put on his little headphones yet. Then we have to wait another 35-45+ seconds for him to figure it out.

The NFL replay system flat out takes too long. Did anyone notice CBS went to a 2 minute commercial break during the ASJ call? Joke!

I think theres just to much of it. Replay should only be for egregious mistakes.

Stop the every turnover and ever score replays. Coaches get a couple red flags to use at their discretion on obvious mistakes.

Everything else is called as is and we keep playing.

I know I'm in the minority but I'd be very happy if MLB started using questec (or whatever) for balls and strikes. These inconsistent strike zones are infuriating and do more to decide games than anything else. Make the strike zone the same for everyone too.

The biggest problem with IR is the time it takes. I chuckle when we (the fan) already know a call is getting reversed/upheld and the umpire hasn't even put on his little headphones yet. Then we have to wait another 35-45+ seconds for him to figure it out.

The NFL replay system flat out takes too long. Did anyone notice CBS went to a 2 minute commercial break during the ASJ call? Joke!

I can see that. I'd be in favor of trading the current MLB replay system for computerized strike zone system.

Just computerize it and show it on the big screen in the stadium.

It would also be a great practice tool for both pitchers and hitters.

I can see that. I'd be in favor of trading the current MLB replay system for computerized strike zone system.

Just computerize it and show it on the big screen in the stadium.

It would also be a great practice tool for both pitchers and hitters.

And boring as fock

Takes way to long. Theres one now on the MLB game on a hit by pitch. Its totally stopped the game. Ugh.

They waited so long the pitcher had to get warm up pitches. :lol:

And boring as fock

Might not be as boring as watching 4.5 hour games that are getting further drawn out by the current replay system. I'll take that trade.

Might not be as boring as watching 4.5 hour games that are getting further drawn out by the current replay system. I'll take that trade.

No it would be more boring

You're entertained by the home plate umps theatrics calling balls and strikes?

I definitely am. I enjoy baseball and I like the human factor.

I definitely am. I enjoy baseball and I like the human factor.

I can see that but MLB is pretty wishy washy about it.

They institute replay to reduce human error and subjectivity.

Yet, balls and strikes are arguably the most subjective part of the game.

Seriously. What the hell is the league saying about yesterday's game and those horrible replay calls?

Yet, balls and strikes are arguably the most subjective part of the game.

Totally disagree.

Block/Charge in b-ball

You can literally call holding every play if you want in football. One person is technically blocked in the back every punt return.

Soccer? Shoot.

NHL slashing? Meh.

Totally disagree.

Block/Charge in b-ball

You ban literally call holding every play if you want in football. One person is technically blocked in the back every punt return.

Soccer? Shoot.

NHL slashing? Meh.

In your opinion, what is the most subjective call umps make in MLB?

In baseball you MUST make a call. Ball or strike. Safe or out. Fair or foul.

Other sports refs can swallow a whistle. Much worse and much more subjective from ref to ref. The decision to rule is more subjective than ruling itself.

In baseball you MUST make a call. Ball or strike. Safe or out. Fair or foul.

Other sports refs can swallow a whistle. Much worse and much more subjective from ref to ref.

I wasn't talking about other sports though.

I wasn't talking about other sports though.

Oh. Sorry. :(

Umm, yeah prolly balls/strikes.

Dammit I was on a roll.

• Like 1