Sign in to follow this  
rholio

Rholio Update

No surgery, again. My blood is too thin. There's some factor they use, but basically don't cut myself shaving. Or, standing. Or, in a dream. Normal is a 1, on blood thinners is a 2, I'm at 4.04. Liver is getting worse, and I should bleed to death long before the cancer is an issue.

Starting singing Christmas carols to the wife on the way home, because she wants me around at least through Christmas.

So the docs said they're out of options?

Do you have life insurance?

Again, sorry to hear man.

No surgery, again. My blood is too thin. There's some factor they use, but basically don't cut myself shaving. Or, standing. Or, in a dream. Normal is a 1, on blood thinners is a 2, I'm at 4.04. Liver is getting worse, and I should bleed to death long before the cancer is an issue.

Starting singing Christmas carols to the wife on the way home, because she wants me around at least through Christmas.

:cry:

Yeah, the lack of clotting thing doesn't surprise me. Back in the day, well, we're All Sure Rooting for you to have a relatively healthy and damn wonderful Christmas.

I don't know if they've told you or not. And I'm sure our want to be show off doctors will have their $0.25 worth. But I'm just telling you from experience. If, for some reason you end up getting the s****. Absolutely do not take Imodium. There's a little Clause in the fine print there that nobody talks about when your liver is failing.

I'm sure they've told you, but one of your lesser worries but still a worry is that you are deficient in iron and therefore anemic. If they haven't brought it up, you might think to ask. Iron supplements aren't Magic Bullet, but could give you a little bit more strength to get through the holidays.

Fleas Not a Dog.

That's Mexican for Merry Christmas.

I just turned fifty last week and this whole thing has gutpunched me. Seeing Ron's new signature is like a kick in the balls. Godspeed R-Holio.

I just turned fifty last week and this whole thing has gutpunched me. Seeing Ron's new signature is like a kick in the balls. Godspeed R-Holio.

Yeah. After my illness back in July and following this story, I'm feeling the same way. I was born in '66 :(

Happy belated birthday yungin'. I turned 50 in July, AND my dad passed away at 55 from colon cancer, so this thread is like piranha gnawing at my balls. :(

So I guess Ive missed a few things. I know Rholio had some serious issues a few weeks/months ago. Whats the current diagnosis/prognosis?

So I guess Ive missed a few things. I know Rholio had some serious issues a few weeks/months ago. Whats the current diagnosis/prognosis?

Not good. We're pulling for him to make it through Christmas.

https://www.gofundme.com/help-out-ron-hudson?viewupdates=1&rcid=r01-151026405157-d54a15cd289b439d&utm_source=internal&utm_medium=email&utm_content=cta_button&utm_campaign=upd_n

I have them off. what's it say?

I have them off. what's it say?

Ron Hudson 1967 - 2017

This has just rocked me. Keep going at it with class Rholio... or don't. Do whatever you want!

Gutted. Was so hoping the sx would buy you some time and give some comfort. I don't know you but no one deserves cancer much less stage IV cancer, and you are a nice guy. Wishing you to get better and beat this I know is not possible with advanced cancer. Breaks my heart. So I pray for you peace and comfort and you get through Christmas at least. Maybe have a little Christmas celeb now? God bless and God speed my friend. I'm genuinely gutted. :(

rholio, any chance you would be interested in something like this?

I, myself, have always been curious about whether there is an afterlife, and this could be a rare opportunity for teh Geek bored to prove it. :thumbsup:

If it doesn't work, nothing lost. :dunno:

• Like 1

I read the first 5 or so pages of your other thread Monday night and it brought me to tears.

Your honesty, bravery, humor, and realism about the whole thing is appreciated.

2 questions:

1. What type of cancer? I see liver mentioned, is it liver cancer or neuroendocrine tumors or something else? (I know a lady who had neuroendocrine tumors in her liver, she made it to MD Anderson and was somehow able to beat it, 4 years cancer free today, while her brother was diagnosed with the same thing and died in 6 weeks being treated locally)

2. Have you visited an NCI designated hospital for a second opinion? Sure, sometimes there is literally nothing that can be done, but I personally know more than a dozen people who have been labelled terminal and told to make their final arrangements that ended up at Mayo or MD Anderson and are alive today.

https://www.cancer.gov/research/nci-role/cancer-centers/find

I apologize if these questions have already been answered elsewhere and I missed them. Also, I am not trying to be that guy, telling you what to do. It is just that sometimes people aren't aware of some of the miracles performed in Phoenix and Houston.

I read the first 5 or so pages of your other thread Monday night and it brought me to tears.

2 questions:

1. What type of cancer? I see liver mentioned, is it liver cancer or neuroendocrine tumors or something else? (I know a lady who had neuroendocrine tumors in her liver, she made it to MD Anderson and was somehow able to beat it, 4 years cancer free today, while her brother was diagnosed with the same thing and died in 6 weeks being treated locally)

2. Have you visited an NCI designated hospital for a second opinion? Sure, sometimes there is literally nothing that can be done, but I personally know more than a dozen people who have been labelled terminal and told to make their final arrangements that ended up at Mayo or MD Anderson and are alive today.

I apologize if these questions have already been answered elsewhere and I missed them. Also, I am not trying to be that guy, telling you what to do. It is just that sometimes people aren't aware of some of the miracles performed in Phoenix and Houston.

In his big day tomorrow thread he gave details. 75% of liver is tumours. It's in the colon and lungs too. As a cancer pt myself at stage 3 with high chance to go 4 and reading stage 4 stories on the cancer boards,it's a personal choice as to subject yourself to more appts and tests when told nothing more can do. It's exhausting when you're already exhausted. It becomes a matter of quality of life with the time you have left spending it with loved ones on palliative care. I hope he goes in peace and comfort when he wants to, not any sooner or later. Or if he feels he'd like to try somewhere else that he can. I support whatever choice he makes.

Rholio, I have a book I'd like to give you to read. I think it might be worth your time/trouble.

I can send it through Kindle, but need your email address. Can you PM me it?

Terrible news. Are you on home hospice?

Yeah, the lack of clotting thing doesn't surprise me. Back in the day, well, we're All Sure Rooting for you to have a relatively healthy and damn wonderful Christmas.

I don't know if they've told you or not. And I'm sure our want to be show off doctors will have their $0.25 worth. But I'm just telling you from experience. If, for some reason you end up getting the s****. Absolutely do not take Imodium. There's a little Clause in the fine print there that nobody talks about when your liver is failing.

I'm sure they've told you, but one of your lesser worries but still a worry is that you are deficient in iron and therefore anemic. If they haven't brought it up, you might think to ask. Iron supplements aren't Magic Bullet, but could give you a little bit more strength to get through the holidays.

Fleas Not a Dog.

The 25 cents to which you allude: 1. Immodium is structurally similar to opiates. Like pain meds and a host of other drugs, liver failure can impair clearance of the drug. But it isn't especially liver toxic.

2. Iron contributes to constipation, and takes several weeks to make an impact in deficiency states. If he is weak because of blood loss anemia, he should consider a transfusion

Rholio, I have a book I'd like to give you to read. I think it might be worth your time/trouble.

Fifty Shades of Jaundice.

• Like 1

Fifty Shades of Jaundice.

You guys never take a break, do ya?

You wanna bust my balls, feel free. Trust me that it doesn't bother me, but let's leave it OUT of this thread, huh?

• Like 1

2 questions:

It's colon cancer metastatic to liver and lungs. Because of the mets, he has liver failure which precludes just about any therapy.

If it were me, I'd call as many family/friends as possible and try to spend my remaining time with them over the holidays. Home hospice is probably the best way to make that happen.

Please tell me it’s not the holy bible...
  • Like 1

:thumbsup:

Damn, it said 2018 before..that’s just awful.

If it changes to 2016, you let me know, I'll drive to that fockers house to get out money back

• Like 1

You guys never take a break, do ya?

You wanna bust my balls, feel free. Trust me that it doesn't bother me, but let's leave it OUT of this thread, huh?

Fifty Ways to Leave Your Liver? 😤

:(

Just read this thread and then went back and read an earlier thread. Very sad reading. Not sure what the surgery is about but I would speculate that it might be to relieve a blockage in the colon or a potential blockage. Have they discussed any experimental options? Immunotherapy?

I hope you have family members who can comfort you during this time.

Fleas Not a Dog.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

No, it's a book written by a guy who was married to a girl I went to HS with.

True Patriot, but even as he was dealing with terminal cancer, he wrote a book as a guide to his sons.

It's called "Tell My Sons"

I've read it. It's very good.

At the pinnacle of a soaring career in the U.S. Army, Lt. Col. Mark M. Weber was tapped to serve in a high-profile job within the Afghan Parliament as a military advisor. Weeks later, a routine physical revealed stage IV intestinal cancer in the thirty-eight-year-old father of three. Over the next two years he would fight a desperate battle he wasn’t trained for, with his wife and boys as his reluctant but willing fighting force.

When Weber realized that he was not going to survive this final tour of combat, he began to write a letter to his boys, so that as they grew up without him, they would know what his life-and-death story had taught him—about courage and fear, challenge and comfort, words and actions, pride and humility, seriousness and humor, and viewing life as a never-ending search for new ideas and inspiration.

This book is that letter. And it’s not just for his sons. It’s for everyone who can use the best advice a dying hero has to offer.

Weber’s stories illustrate that in the end you become what you are through the causes to which you attach yourself—and that you’ve made your own along the way. Through his example, he teaches how to live an ordinary life in an extraordinary way.

Praise for Tell My Sons

“A gift to us all . . . Every page exudes courage, honesty, and an indomitable spirit. Mark Weber’s story has touched me in such a profound way.”—Mitch Albom, author of Tuesdays with Morrie

Tell My Sons is a deeply moving, personal account of a soldier’s journey into an ultimate frontier. As I read Mark Weber’s book, I was astonished by its honesty, courage, and discipline. This book offers one of the most profound and detailed descriptions of the strange world of cancer and should be essential reading for all of us who seek to understand that topsy-turvy terrain.”—Siddhartha Mukherjee, Pulitzer Prize–winning author of The Emperor of All Maladies

Tell My Sons is one of the most profound and inspirational stories I have ever read. It may have been written for Mark’s children, but it may as well be a treatise for all of us about honest parenting and leadership with character in love, family, faith, and politics. For a man who is facing profound health issues, Mark is doing a remarkable job showing us all how to live with courage and integrity.”—Walter F. Mondale, former vice president of the United States

“This book is why I have always been proud to call Mark Weber my son. His ability to reach across complex boundaries and write and speak with such depth and beauty makes him a modern day Lawrence of Arabia. Mark’s passion, attitude, and thoughts about life are what is best about America.”—General Babakir S. Zibari, chief of defense, Republic of Iraq

“A poignant illustration of what being a hero is all about . . . Heroes exemplify invincible courage, character, and perseverance in times of insurmountable odds. Mark embodies these attributes. Tell My Sons will empower the reader with profound lessons of living life with hope and determination.”—John Elway, Pro Football Hall of Fame quarterback

“A gift to us all . . . Every page exudes courage, honesty, and an indomitable spirit. Mark Weber’s story has touched me in such a profound way.”—Mitch Albom, author of Tuesdays with Morrie

Mitch Albom's book, Tuesdays with Morrie talks about Morrie's last weeks of life and the lessons Mitch learned by visiting him at the end. So add Mitch's book as a recommended read as well.