Sign in to follow this  
Ray_T

Josh Gordon is he coming back?

someone in one of my leagues just picked him up.

I googled him to see if there was any new info.

from what I can tell there is.....

http://scout.com/nfl/browns/Board/105323/Contents/Spoke-with-Josh-Gordon-today-reinstatement--106775818

It's just rumour. I have nothing more to substantiate the rumour, but for those who care, this could be good info.

I highly doubt it!

Bryant appears to have been clean nearly a year. Plus he went through a very arduous process of prerequisites in order to get reinstated. Gordon can't get his shoes on the right feet. So, no, I don't believe he will be reinstated in this lifetime.

Also, the executive office of the NFL is a clown show. So, that doesn't help his chances.

It's a guy on a Browns message board saying, "I talked to Josh Gordon today and he said..."

Sources don't get any more unreliable than that

However, there's a very small chance it's true so it's worth looking into

Gordon was very specific on the time table. That's interesting. It's also only 3 weeks away. I'm surprised this hasn't gotten more attention. I took him with the last pick of my keeper league, figuring I'd take a shot. While I'd love to see him come back, I am skeptical. But his specific mention of the Colts game is intriguing.

It's a guy on a Browns message board saying, "I talked to Josh Gordon today and he said..."

Sources don't get any more unreliable than that

However, there's a very small chance it's true so it's worth looking into

Never at any point did I say this was a reliable source.

Let's make that clear before we begin.

but sometimes where there is smoke there is fire. so once I found this, I thought I'd provide the info for the guys at the board.

Gordon was very specific on the time table. That's interesting. It's also only 3 weeks away. I'm surprised this hasn't gotten more attention. I took him with the last pick of my keeper league, figuring I'd take a shot. While I'd love to see him come back, I am skeptical. But his specific mention of the Colts game is intriguing.

yeah, that was the only thing that really peaked my interest. it's a short way away (time wise) so if you were to take a chance on Gordon, he only needs to be on your roster a couple of weeks.

Never at any point did I say this was a reliable source.

Let's make that clear before we begin.

but sometimes where there is smoke there is fire. so once I found this, I thought I'd provide the info for the guys at the board.

Didn't say you did

Worth the read on this topic. Chris Pokorny did an entire article on this message board post that may shed more light:

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2017/9/4/16251476/lets-talk-more-about-this-josh-gordon-rumor

It's a short read

not a bad read either.

they say Cleveland would have to decide to trade him or keep him. I cant see a trade happening. Gordon would have to first prove he could get it done before anyone would even consider paying something to get him.

so I think there are truly 2 options:

1) cleveland plays him

2) cleveland releases him.

I am pretty sure there will be no trade.

It is random and a long shot... but full disclosure I added him in dynasty a few weeks ago based on him tweetimg out a smiley face. That's it. 1 smiley face. I have no issues taking a stab in the dark on something like this, plus it's fun being weeks early when league mates start clamoring over adding guys only to see them sitting on your bench.

I had to look it up, but it's kinda interesting...

Gordon's was denied reinstatement in March 2016 because he failed a drug test after the 2015 year long suspension.

But then in July 2016 he was allowed reinstatement by the league but with a suspension for the first 4 games of 2016. He went through training camp and all, but then in late September 2016 he checked himself into a private rehab center...there was no failed drug test in September 2016.

I could see where he would be reinstated but having to serve the final game of his last 4 game ban that he missed because he left the team on his own.

It will be interesting to watch...but that being said how long would it take to get up to speed. I don't see a trade with Cleveland needing WR's so bad. Didn't look up his contract, but I'm sure he would restructure just for another shot if that's even possible right now...because I don't understand how all that cap stuff works.

:lol: We'll be telling our grandkids about the legend of Josh Gordon

And perhaps that he is about to be reinstated

Even if he was reinstated tomorrow, what really is the expectation here? The guy hasn't played a down of football since, what, 2014? (and didn't look very good then after a long layoff)

• Like 1

I hope so, I can't wait to see who gets dropped for him.

Even if he was reinstated tomorrow, what really is the expectation here? The guy hasn't played a down of football since, what, 2014? (and didn't look very good then after a long layoff)

Depending on roster size, he could be worth the roster spot. Odds are that he's a better talent that at least 1 WR on everyone's roster in your league. What's the downside?

I had to look it up, but it's kinda interesting...

Gordon's was denied reinstatement in March 2016 because he failed a drug test after the 2015 year long suspension.

But then in July 2016 he was allowed reinstatement by the league but with a suspension for the first 4 games of 2016. He went through training camp and all, but then in late September 2016 he checked himself into a private rehab center...there was no failed drug test in September 2016.

I could see where he would be reinstated but having to serve the final game of his last 4 game ban that he missed because he left the team on his own.

It will be interesting to watch...but that being said how long would it take to get up to speed. I don't see a trade with Cleveland needing WR's so bad. Didn't look up his contract, but I'm sure he would restructure just for another shot if that's even possible right now...because I don't understand how all that cap stuff works.

Do we know for sure that there was no failed drug test?

It was widely rumoured that he checked himself in after a failed test but the league (from what I can tell) kept silent. So I dont know for sure if this was the case or not.

If it turns out there was no failed test, I dont actually see the league standing in the way of his return. He realized he bit off more than he could chew with respect to staying clean and got himself some help. From that perspective, I can see the league being sympathetic to him and allowing him to return.

If there was a failed drug test, we may be looking at a whole different story.

Unfortunately, I do not know the truth. If someone knows the truth, I'd certainly be interested in finding out what actually happened as this will affect how the league is likely to behave with regard to the reinstatement.

for me, whether I pick him up really depends on the risks. I really dont wanna give up a roster spot for him if the risks are too high, but you cannot ignore the upside.

he has been out of the league so long I think he would be pretty irrelevant if he was even allowed to play again in the NFL

he has been out of the league so long I think he would be pretty irrelevant if he was even allowed to play again in the NFL

He's only 26. Not quite a leap I'm willing to make. I'm not ruling out that possibility, but I'm not going to just call him done.

Depending on roster size, he could be worth the roster spot. Odds are that he's a better talent that at least 1 WR on everyone's roster in your league. What's the downside?

Exactly. In my dynasty I think I dropped Johnathan Williams for him. I don't really see the downside.

Downside is dropping a sleeper who has a breakout performance and you can't get them back.

I'm not dropping anybody for him until I see my sleepers suck for a game or 2.

Downside is dropping a sleeper who has a breakout performance and you can't get them back.

I'm not dropping anybody for him until I see my sleepers suck for a game or 2.

Yeah, I think I'll take my chances and wait until week 2 before picking him up.

Just a hunch, but I would assume he hasn't been keeping himself in great shape over the last couple of years. No thanks.

Definitely different approach than you guys. Guys who you take in the last 2 or 3 rounds (aside from kickers and defenses), almost never pan out... and if they do, to what level? Gordon has elite potential. Even if he doesn't hit his ceiling that he hit in the past, he still could put up solid numbers - no worse than what your "late round sleeper" would get. Give me the guy who can be a top 5 WR over a low end 2 / high end 3 any day of the week.

Definitely different approach than you guys. Guys who you take in the last 2 or 3 rounds (aside from kickers and defenses), almost never pan out... and if they do, to what level? Gordon has elite potential. Even if he doesn't hit his ceiling that he hit in the past, he still could put up solid numbers - no worse than what your "late round sleeper" would get. Give me the guy who can be a top 5 WR over a low end 2 / high end 3 any day of the week.

I'm telling you, he's never going to see an NFL field again. No way, no how.

Then I guess I'll be rostering a player who will never play. Oh well.

It is playing the odds, and we all are the odds-makers of our own rosters. If he comes back I do not see him having much success. I doubt the team would treat him as its' top WR, preferring not to rely on him just to be burned again. And he will be extremely rusty. How did he perform during his brief stint back last time?

Doesn't mean I won't consider picking him up for the small chance he does have of contributing. If someone else grabs him I won't feel bad, I will check who they dropped though

I totally agree with this. I get that some people don't want to deal with that kind of uncertainty on their roster, especially depending upon roster construction where it may limit you because you need that last spot...but if I have a guy on my bench that I'm likely never going to play, I'd much rather have the much higher upside with the potential for nothing, than just another guy. Even in my 10 team league I'd rather have him right now over what's available on waivers. Worst case you hold on to him for a few weeks until you find out it was a false report, at which point you cut bait anyway, so you're really only holding a roster position for a few weeks.

Hell, you may be able to even turn him around for something useful if he does come back. Thanks for the info! Going to pick him up right now....ok, so after waivers process on Tuesday :Mr-T:

Is there even one actual source giving this any credibility? Or is this just message board chatter?

Commissioner Clownshow was in Cleveland a few weeks ago and a fan, at some fan/team function, specifically asked Roger about Josh Gordon. His reply was, "there is no active request for reimbursement, I don't have anything regarding that on my desk at this time."

I would interpret that as, "not a chance in hell!"

Further, even if Gordon had done everything he was supposed to between his last request and now, he would still have a mountain of criteria to meet just as WR Martavis Bryant did. The difference, Bryant had his life together and while it was tedious and took some work Bryant was able to conduct his business and get all the pieces in place. Gordon can't tie his shoes.

Nothing to see here folks. He won't be playing football in the NFL in 2017.

Like I said earlier in the thread.

if he checked himself into rehab after getting busted for not staying clean, his chances of seeing an NFL field is low.

but if he actually checked himself in having not been busted, then the story is different. It's a far more sympathetic story and he comes across as a guy who has a problem and wants to clean himself up.

completely different situation.

if it's scenario 1, his chances are slim.

if it's scenario 2, I think his chances of playing again are actually pretty decent.

if he checked himself into rehab after getting busted for not staying clean, his chances of seeing an NFL field is low.

but if he actually checked himself in having not been busted, then the story is different. It's a far more sympathetic story and he comes across as a guy who has a problem and wants to clean himself up.

if it's scenario 2, I think his chances of playing again are actually pretty decent.

Agreed. If we ever get the information, then we can predict. Otherwise, it's pretty much wait and see.

So if he served his year, didn't fail another test, and just decided to check himself into rehab - why does he need to be reinstated? Doesn't the additional year out of the league tell us that he did something wrong in September 2016?

So if he served his year, didn't fail another test, and just decided to check himself into rehab - why does he need to be reinstated? Doesn't the additional year out of the league tell us that he did something wrong in September 2016?

Don't we live in a world where the media would rather report opinions on a persons integrity vs actual news? No way they would have let this train wreck go if there was another failed drug test...and you all know "the league" can't keep its mouth shut about a players stupidity just because they want the sheep all glued to it.

Wasn't he a big deal at one point. If he was seriously coming back in a few weeks against the Colts don't you all think there would be way more media coverage all over this then just one source? I highly doubt he is coming back.