Sign in to follow this  
mmmmm...beer

Sitting in the previews for Logan

Saw Logan, loved it.

Saw Get out, liked it.

Didnt see IT yet. Doubt it will be that great, little kids as main cast is usually annoying and horror has been fail since Cabin in the Woods.

I didnt think the idea that the white folk were stealing blacks because theyre in vogue was very credible. I thought they obviously picked black people thinking their disappearance would draw less attention and they wouldnt be missed. I also assumed at first they were using them for slave labor, which sort of seemed to be the case until some are being used in a brain transplant? That didnt work for me. And it got a touch vampier at the end than I like in my horror movies. It was really good regardless though.

I think the movie was poking fun at the idea of blackness being fashionable, though it certainly seems that some of contemporary black culture is considered cool nowadays. None of them were being used as brain donors, rather their superior bodies were the receptacle for old white peoples brains (ex. the athletic one for granddad, who lost to Jesse Owens in the Olympics, and the main character for his artistic vision, literally).

I think the older ones were relegated to being servants as the process was still being refined, and it served as a plausible reason to keep the grandparents around - why else would a couple of elderly black people be hanging out with a rich white family in the middle of nowhere?

I really liked some of the symbolism used in the movie, like the silver spoon to induce hypnosis and the black protagonist ironically using cotton to plug his ears and free himself from his white captors.

It wasnt without flaw, but overall I was very impressed by Jordan Peeles directorial debut.

I think the movie was poking fun at the idea of blackness being fashionable, though it certainly seems that some of contemporary black culture is considered cool nowadays. None of them were being used as brain donors, rather their superior bodies were the receptacle for old white peoples brains (ex. the athletic one for granddad, who lost to Jesse Owens in the Olympics, and the main character for his artistic vision, literally).

I think the older ones were relegated to being servants as the process was still being refined, and it served as a plausible reason to keep the grandparents around - why else would a couple of elderly black people be hanging out with a rich white family in the middle of nowhere?

I really liked some of the metaphors used in the movie, like the silver spoon to induce hypnosis and the black protagonist ironically using cotton to plug his ears and free himself from his white captors.

It wasnt without flaw, but overall I was very impressed by Jordan Peeles directorial debut.

Dont get me wrong, I liked it a lot, I just felt those were a couple missteps that were inconsistent with other things in the film. Probably part of my issue is that I am a huge fan of the genre and given all the praise around Get Out I was looking for issues. :dunno:

The best horror movies Ive seen in the past 5-6 years were Kill List and The Blackcoats Daughter, on the off chance anyone cares, which I am sure they dont. :thumbsup: And I liked Creep 2 from last year more than Get Out.

Dont get me wrong, I liked it a lot, I just felt those were a couple missteps that were inconsistent with other things in the film. Probably part of my issue is that I am a huge fan of the genre and given all the praise around Get Out I was looking for issues. :dunno:

The best horror movies Ive seen in the past 5-6 years were Kill List and The Blackcoats Daughter, on the off chance anyone cares, which I am sure they dont. :thumbsup: And I liked Creep 2 from last year more than Get Out.

I usually dislike horror movies, and while I wasn’t really scared by it, I was pleasantly surprised by Get Out.

I’ll have to check out those other movies you mention.

Wasn't really expecting all the broadway-style singing and dancing from Wolverine, but Jackman made it feel organic. :thumbsup:

😂

I usually dislike horror movies, and while I wasnt really scared by it, I was pleasantly surprised by Get Out.

Ill have to check out those other movies you mention.

I think all 3 are on Netflix and/or Prime free streaming. :thumbsup:

It wasnt really a horror movie.

It wasnt really a horror movie.

It was as much of a horror movie as many, many other horror movies that come out these days.