Sign in to follow this  
Artista

N. Cali Fires

First is getting people out of harms way by helping in evacuations, not saving property or containing the fires. Next, when the winds kick up to 50 mph or more, you can't fight fires under those conditions. It's not the # of men, not aircraft or anything like that. Plenty of resources and more coming. So yeah, they are doing all they can considering the horrible weather conditions up there which the fires love.

I hear you but, I know from the wildfires I've seen in AZ that they don't put out the small fire on day 1, they put a band aid on it and then it becomes a monster. I say bring out the BIG guns on day 1 and put that out!!!

I personally feel there is an agenda to all these fires, not sure what it is yet but....

I hear you but, I know from the wildfires I've seen in AZ that they don't put out the small fire on day 1, they put a band aid on it and then it becomes a monster. I say bring out the BIG guns on day 1 and put that ###### out!!!

I personally feel there is an agenda to all these fires, not sure what it is yet but....

Day 1 started at 10 pm on Sun and went up very fast to 14 fires over night. Winds were up to 70 mph so it quickly spread and far. Goal is always evacuate people first. No matter how much resources you have if the weather is not in their favour, there's not much they can realistically do. Plus it takes time for S. Cal and other areas to get to the area and to figure things out. This isn't your standard wildfire. It's baffling firefighters how to contain any part of it. You have to see them on the news here to understand it's not as simple as just get the resources there asap. Conditions and the way it started play a huge part in the difficulty of the situation up there and with the winds picking up tonight, fear is more communities will be affected. Calistoga has been evacuated. Geyserville went from watch to get out not long ago.

it's big and spread quickly, like sux' crabs in tijuana..

Mebbe I got my crabs in Tijuana. Did you ever think about that? huh? did ya? :mad:

Also, I've never been to messico to the best of my rememberence

Just got this advisory:

Record setting poor air quality advisory out thru the weekend and probably early next week for ALL of the Bay Area. Stay in as much as possible. Bring you pets inside!

Also this. If this is the cause then just like with the San Bruno disaster in 2010, expect our rates to be raised to help pay for their ####up again!

:thumbsdown:

PG&E power lines explored as possible cause of Wine Country fires:

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/PG-E-power-lines-explored-as-possible-cause-of-12270749.php?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Mebbe I got my crabs in Tijuana. Did you ever think about that? huh? did ya? :mad:

i thought that was the gonorrhea. :dunno:

Day 1 started at 10 pm on Sun and went up very fast to 14 fires over night. Winds were up to 70 mph so it quickly spread and far. Goal is always evacuate people first. No matter how much resources you have if the weather is not in their favour, there's not much they can realistically do. Plus it takes time for S. Cal and other areas to get to the area and to figure things out. This isn't your standard wildfire. It's baffling firefighters how to contain any part of it. You have to see them on the news here to understand it's not as simple as just get the resources there asap. Conditions and the way it started play a huge part in the difficulty of the situation up there and with the winds picking up tonight, fear is more communities will be affected. Calistoga has been evacuated. Geyserville went from watch to get out not long ago.

most likely arson eh?

News conference- emphasising going to https://safeandwell.communityos.org/cms/index.php to check in. Not just to inform friends/fam but to get accurate count on who is missing. Many people are with friends/fam and aren't checking in.

Calistoga so far spared. Winds not as bad as forecasted last night. Mid 70s temps and low winds today helps but humidity is still low. Sounding like things will finally be getting more under control today. Unhealthy air extended now to central valley and all of bay area down through San Jose.

This firestorm is now classified as the deadliest on record in CA history. :(

Those areas have a lot of retirees. All but 1 name I saw on a list on tv are over 65 y/o. The most heart wrenching story I saw on tv was a lady describing being on the phone with her mother and her mother saying I can't get out, there's so much smoke, I'm going to die. I mean imagine that, speaking to your mom on the phone just before she's going to die from the fire in her home. :(

This firestorm is now classified as the deadliest on record in CA history. :(

Those areas have a lot of retirees. All but 1 name I saw on a list on tv are over 65 y/o. The most heart wrenching story I saw on tv was a lady describing being on the phone with her mother and her mother saying I can't get out, there's so much smoke, I'm going to die. I mean imagine that, speaking to your mom on the phone just before she's going to die from the fire in her home. :(

:(

Winds to pick up tonight and with low humidity, still chance of fire spreading. Atlas fire has the highest containment of 27%. Very unhealthy air alert East Bay still and through the weekend. Those of us with health issues need to wear masks outside. Just unreal how they say it's sunny out with no clouds yet it looks mostly cloudy out. :(

Resources from AZ, MT, NV, WA, OR, ID are pouring in.

mrs is going into the city for a few meetings...making a run to my parents house to drop off some boxes

• Like 1

mrs is going into the city for a few meetings...making a run to my parents house to drop off some boxes

Don't know if you know this, but you can text your zip to 888-777 and you'll get emergency text alert updates for your area. For people who don't have cell service, they can set their phone to wifi call. Many areas without cell service do have wifi.

They keep interrupting day time shows to bring updates. They are saying containment is progressing well. They are working hard to set up containment lines today in case the winds pick up with the low humidity due later tonight.

Best wishes. Hope it's over soon. Can't imagine being on alert for a few days now. xxx

yeah...we have been on nixle since monday. the containment/lack of movement is encouraging for us. i know a lot of friends and businesses that have had tremendous losses. i have been to sonoma and santa rosa. it doe snot seem real.

• Like 1

Sorry if I missed it - but started all these, just natural causes, lightening?

Sorry if I missed it - but started all these, just natural causes, lightening?

Because it's so complicated they said on a special news report that it's going to take a long time to figure out cause(s). Could be weeks.

4.0 earthquake hits fire-ravaged Northern California:

www.sfgate.com/news/article/4-0-earthquake-hits-fire-ravaged-Northern-12277088.php?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Id have to evacuate both the apt I lived at in Santa Rosa if I were still there. Many Facebook friends live there and almost everyone knows someone who lost everything. Something absurd like 2k+ houses destroyed. Even 10-20 would be considered a huge blaze, 2k seems unreal. Ill be headed up there for thanksgiving to see my folks who live in nearby Sebastopol, Ill be sure to check out the carnage.

Construction companies should be rejoicing, they will be back to back busy for years after this.

Midnight tonight until noon tomorrow is the worst for winds. Bay Area is going to be socked through San Jose with very unhealthy air quality. Today San Jose was labelled unhealthy. Many events are cancelled. Football games are still on, but can change..

Bay Area air quality begins to improve on Mon.

Id have to evacuate both the apt I lived at in Santa Rosa if I were still there. Many Facebook friends live there and almost everyone knows someone who lost everything. Something absurd like 2k+ houses destroyed. Even 10-20 would be considered a huge blaze, 2k seems unreal. Ill be headed up there for thanksgiving to see my folks who live in nearby Sebastopol, Ill be sure to check out the carnage.

Construction companies should be rejoicing, they will be back to back busy for years after this.

very disheartening.

Highly doubt they are rejoicing esp now as more carnage is being found and more will be found. They just showed the story of a 14 year old boy who burned to death. His fam is in the hospital with severe injuries. Living in the Bay Area, our regular programming during the day is regularily interrupted with such news.

Midnight tonight until noon tomorrow is the worst for winds. Bay Area is going to be socked through San Jose with very unhealthy air quality. Today San Jose was labelled unhealthy. Many events are cancelled. Football games are still on, but can change..

Bay Area air quality begins to improve on Mon.

I hate to even mention sports in a time like this in this state, but holy fock...

How the hell is the NFL conducting a game in the Bay Area this weekend?

I hate to even mention sports in a time like this in this state, but holy fock...

How the hell is the NFL conducting a game in the Bay Area this weekend?

Stanford too. What's funny is they showed the Raider's yesterday practicing and some players had masks on. I mean we have some schools that are closed and a marathon for this Sun cancelled due to the very unhealthy air stemming down through San Jose all weekend and so far these 2 games are still on. Unreal. They thought Thurs was bad, it's due to be worse through the weekend. I guess they are looking at the all mighty $ vs the health of their players. :thumbsdown:

• Like 1

I don't really share stuff like this much...but if any of you geeks want...my work is doing a $20 raffle contest for an autographed Roger Federer Wilson ProStaff 97RF tennis racquet. 100% of the money we get from this raffle is going towards the fire victims here in CA.

Not sending money to the Red Cross either. It's going to the Redwood Empire Food Bank, Napa Valley Community Foundation, and the Redwood Credit Union Fund. We want to keep this as localized as possible.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpage-WARFRFC.html

Sorry for the spam...if it's considered that I guess...this stuff just really hits close to home for me. Some people from my work have family that have lost their homes in this. Obviously some members here have had to upend their lives as a result. I just hope anything and everything that can help can do just that.

• Like 1

I don't really share stuff like this much...but if any of you geeks want...my work is doing a $20 raffle contest for an autographed Roger Federer Wilson ProStaff 97RF tennis racquet. 100% of the money we get from this raffle is going towards the fire victims here in CA.

Not sending money to the Red Cross either. It's going to the Redwood Empire Food Bank, Napa Valley Community Foundation, and the Redwood Credit Union Fund. We want to keep this as localized as possible.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpage-WARFRFC.html

Sorry for the spam...if it's considered that I guess...this stuff just really hits close to home for me. Some people from my work have family that have lost their homes in this. Obviously some members here have had to upend their lives as a result. I just hope anything and everything that can help can do just that.

no reason to apologize and thats not spam imo at all

• Like 1

Overnight: New mandatory evacs in effect in Santa Rosa and Sonoma. Sebastopol on alert.

Tanatastic: Hope your family remains safe and the fire doesn't hit that area.

Favorable wind conditions for the next 48 hours at least but humidity remains low. Death toll is 35 now due to go up. Fema opening relief center today for people to fill out forms at the Press Democrat Building, 427 Mendocina.

As of 8 am

:

Atlas 45% contained

Nuns 10% contained

Tubbs 44% contained

Pocket 5% contained

This subject infuriates me!

Everybody pays taxes, nobody wants wildfires.......put them out QUICKLY!

Oh you say they're doing all they can?

Evidently they're not!!!

If there are more men needed, get more men!!!

If there are more aircraft needed get more aircraft!!!

It's supply & demand......who the fock's in charge of this bullchix?

We got more men (including crews from Australia, Canada and South Carolina(!) and more aircraft (including 16 Hueys staging out of Petaluma Airport)...but in order to understand how immediately apocryphal the situation was that first night, you may wish to follow these links:

"...CHP paramedic Whitney Lowe and helicopter pilot Peter Gavitte took up the evacuation effort inside the fire line. As their flight instruments recorded wind gusts as high as 75 mph — the equivalent of a Category 1 hurricane — they blared the siren, shouted over the public address speaker and flashed their “night sun” spotlight to wake and warn ridge residents of the fire at their doors..."

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-napa-fire-rescues-20171014-htmlstory.html

"...At one point, a car raced up out of the smoke, its panicked driver and passengers with burns. They begged him to go back into the fray for a man who had fallen behind after hurting an ankle..."

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/7525440-181/the-tubbs-fire-how-its?ref=most&artslide=0

Body camera footage from a Sonoma County sheriff’s deputy shows his urgent door-to-door effort in the Mark West Springs area:

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/7520785-181/video-body-camera-footage-from?ref=related

On the bright side, that will be some fertile soil in a few years. :dunno:

Unfortunately, no. An overlooked aspect in the midst of the devastation is that Luther Burbank's "Paradise on Earth" is now coated with toxic ash and run-off.

Massive amounts of household and industrial chemicals, plastics, propane, gasoline...you name it, it's all in there - all blanketing what was formerly some of the best soil on earth.

A forest fire would've definitely been kinder.

• Like 1

Although this is heartbreaking, their love is encouraging:

When a wildfire engulfed their hilltop rental house without warning, Armando and Carmen Berriz took shelter in a swimming pool, their mouths and noses poking out of the water to gulp the smoky air.

The longtime married couple were there for hours overnight, breathing and praying together, as the blaze roared around them.

Once the fires finally passed, Armando Berriz climbed out, shaken but alive. Carmen, his wife of 55 years, didn’t make it.

“Everybody loved her,” Monica Ocon said of her mother, 75, who died in her husband’s arms early Monday morning amid the fires that have ravaged the Northern California wine country. “This loss has affected family and friends around the world.”

Ocon, her husband, her daughter and her parents, Armando and Carmen, were enjoying a vacation in Santa Rosa to celebrate her parents’ birthdays. Much of Sunday afternoon was spent by the pool, playing games and swapping stories.

Luis Ocon, Monica’s husband, told CNN’s Dan Simon that his in-laws “just love to be with family.”

“It’s their thing,” he said. “They want to keep everyone together, staying united.”

They played some board games that evening before heading off to bed, Monica Ocon said. They hadn’t smelled any smoke or seen any sign of a fire.

Around 1 a.m., Luis Ocon said he turned out the lights and noticed the red glow of embers outside. He got up to take a closer look.

Seconds later, he watched as an ember hit a patch of grass in the front yard and burst into flames.

“It was like an explosion,” he said. “It just lit up.” By the time the family left the house moments later, the fire had surrounded them.

“It’s hard to explain unless you were there,” Luis said. “It went from embers to complete engulfment, completely around us, in 30 seconds, 40 seconds at most.”

Luis took one car, followed by Monica and her daughter in another and the Berrizes in a third car. The family began to caravan down from the ridge where they were staying as burning trees fell into the road around them.

“It looked like something you see in an apocalypse movie,” Luis said.

When they reached the bottom, the family realized that Carmen and Armando were no longer behind them. Luis sent Monica on to a friend’s house while he headed back up the ridge to find his in-laws, but he was blocked by the fires and was forced to turn back.

On his way down, he met a firefighter, who took his number and promised to look for Carmen and Armando.

The Ocons later found out the couple had become trapped by a fallen tree on the drive down. When they couldn’t go any further, they exited the vehicle and made their way back up the ridge to the house.

“They went hand in hand, together, and jumped into the pool,” Monica said.

The couple stayed in the pool for hours as the fire raged, Luis said. Propane tanks exploded around them while Armando held onto the edge of the pool, burning his hand. Carmen held onto her husband, and they made their way from one side of the pool to the other to escape the heat.

Each time they came up for air, they would pray together to comfort each other.

“They were a team,” Luis said. “They counted on each other.”

Carmen held on for hours. But the heat and smoke were too much.

“It wasn’t until close to dawn that my mom’s breath didn’t have the stamina to make it any more,” Monica Ocon told CNN. Carmen died about 7 a.m. while Armando held her. The family believes it was smoke inhalation that killed her.

Armando stayed with her for several more hours while the fires died down. Finally, he pulled Carmen to the edge and asked her for permission to borrow her shoe, because he’d lost his.

Then the 76-year-old made his way down the ridge, walking through smoldering ashes.

“He’s a strong 76,” Monica said of her father. “It’s amazing.”

The firefighters alerted the Ocons and told them to head to a nearby hospital, where they were reunited with Armando. When he recovered, he told them what had happened.

“He was consoling us instead of us consoling him,” Luis Ocon said. “He was amazing and full of strength.”

Armando Berriz was released from the hospital and is recovering at his home in Salinas, California. But “he hasn’t begun the emotional recovery,” Monica Ocon said.

wedding day photo

:( and :) Sad yet beautiful story, thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

Agreed. :thumbsup:

Just thank our lucky geek club stars that Naomi did a copy and paste of the story vs putting it in her own werds.

No offence, naomi :P

Fire cannot never hurt me.

I hate being on fire and I can run real fast.

What about sticks and stones? Good luck running away from them