Sign in to follow this  
Cruzer

**Golf Talk** thread

Joined up with a buddy today and the two guys he was set to play with insisted on playing the tips. My buddy shot 84, smooth and steady while the long bomber shot 97 and the other guy and I tied with 91s.

Focking hate playing with egocentric guys. Play the appropriate tees FFS.

played Fox Hollow Golf Club today. just a 30 min drive out rt. 78 toward PA. I played this course once before maybe 8 or 9 years ago with an old boss of mine who had the contract with them to do all their club repairs. Course hasn't changed. I remember just about every hole. Its not a long course so we did play the tips. Also it's a par 70 with 6 par 3's, which normally I would not like but 4 of them played 180-210.

I really didn't play well. My driver, which I had figured out, was back to hitting weak, high fades. Not putting me in trouble but just adding distance to 2nd shots. Also, when I do pipe one down the middle and have a wedge in, I am giving away so many shots by missing the green which is just horrendous. I'll push it, pull it, hit it thin, fat, you name it. It's mainly with full wedge shots. If i've got a smooth 8 or 9, I'm more or less okay. It's just very mentally taxing when you've got 90-115 from the middle of the fairway and you make bogey because you can't just put it even in the venter of the green for a 2 putt par. That costs me 4-5 strokes per round.

Something i've been doing lately is teeing the ball up just a little bit higher on par 3's. I nornmally use a tee but tee it so low you really can't tell it's tee'd up. I think it was always mental more than anything but I've been teeing off with a lot more consistency on par 3's by raising the tee up about half an inch.

Chipping and pitching is fine (im really liking the Cleveland RTX by the way) and my putting is decent right now.

I shot 81 with a triple on the par 3 2nd hole, 1 birdie and the rest pars and bogeys. (shanked a 5 iron off the tee, hit a tree trying to get out of jail, took a 3 foot divot from a sloppy wet lie, chipped on and 2 putted for 6)

Not playing as much I would like to. I usually try to soak all the golf up at this point. We have had some very nice days during the week to get in 9 but I have not. Played 2 Saturday's ago. Today is going to be real nice, but again no golf.

Not playing as much I would like to. I usually try to soak all the golf up at this point. We have had some very nice days during the week to get in 9 but I have not. Played 2 Saturday's ago. Today is going to be real nice, but again no golf.

I've been taking some days off from work and booking early afternoon tee times to take advantage of the weather. Playing more golf than I have in years which Is sad. Have an outing October 9th which will be my 6th round since August 20th.

I know this is pathetic for most of you but considering I barely play aside from outings the past few years it's been a nice change.

I'm up to 48 rounds this year, but I've hit a chipping yips situation. It's pissing me off badly, but I know a large part of it is my stubbornness in using a 60˚ wedge for a lot of my short shots, and it's kicking my ass.

I'm up to 48 rounds this year, but I've hit a chipping yips situation. It's pissing me off badly, but I know a large part of it is my stubbornness in using a 60˚ wedge for a lot of my short shots, and it's kicking my ass.

what exactly do you mean by chipping yips? not making a smooth stroke causing you to chunk some, thin some, yank some?

without knowing anything about your individual situation, just keep your head down. By that, I mean don't move it until the ball is on the green (similar to how i groove my shorter putts, 3-4 footers which I have trouble with. I pick my line, i make my stroke and I never move my head, i just listen for the bottom of the cup). If you're shanking them, still keep the head down and when you practice, play the ball more on the toe of the wedge as chances are you are ever so slightly extending your arms as you follow through which brings the hosel, and shank, into play.

a lot of people will yell at you for relying on the 60* and while it's not my favorite club, I think if you happen to be comfortable with it on a variety of shots, then stick with it. I'm married to my 56*. even on flat shots with nothing but fairway begtween me and the green, i'm not the guy who can pull out 8 iron and play a bump and run. I'll play the same bump and run with my 56*. I've just gotten to the point where i'm way more comfortable adjusting my stance and swing for the shot needed. For that shot, ill play the ball off my back foot, feet close together and make more of a sweeping motion where i roll my wrists a bit at impact which gets a nice low, rolling trajectory.

When I'm having trouble with my chipping, it's usually because I am gripping it too tight. Creates tension...if I remind myself to loosen my grip (I always think "soft hands"), then I'm going to get a good result.

I encourage most to stay away from 60* wedges - for many reasons. Primarily bcoz very few ever work on their short games. Even those that occasionally hit the range almost never work on their chipping. When you don't, the 60* becomes a liability more than a friend. If I had a $1 for every time I've seen the "decel/scoop" with a 60*, I'd be retired on an island.

I encourage using a 58*, it's what I use. Of course I have my regular SW at 54* so I can... The loft feels a little more natural and the flange is not nearly as fat - making it way more manageable and useful. And trust me, you will not miss the extra 2*, I can do everything with it that I can a 60*, just make sure to get plenty of bounce.

Played yesterday and holed out from the fairway for an eagle 2. I had just nutted a drive, leaving myself 114 yds then hit a gap wedge a couple feet short and watched it roll in. :banana:

Later on back nine, I had two doubles and a quad to card an 84. :cry:

What's everyone's best round EVER?

Not necessarily your lowest score, but the best round in your golf career.

Best round was breaking 90 (88) at Baltusrol lower where they held the 2005 amd 2016 PGA Championships, having never played there before and the rough was nasty.

Lowest score 76 on a par 72

• Like 1

I had been hitting balls, chipping, putting and practicing for a couple years before....but I got my first full set of clubs for my 10th birthday.

Best round ever - my first 9 hole round, with my pop, walking - shot 75.:thumbsup:

• Like 1

Best round (in retrospect of course) was playing golf in P.A. with my late brother the day Tiger won his first Masters. We had a couple beers in the clubhouse watching Tiger finish it off.

• Like 1

Best shot making round was a 75 from the tips in a 30 mph wind. Cuts and draws against the wind and stingers off the tee. Went back the next week in perfect weather with the same game plan and shot mid 80s.

2nd best was playing with the club pro and some drinking buddies and had a hole in one on 13 and an eagle on 18. 2 eagles in 5 holes.

Lowest rd was a 5 bird 2 bogey 69.

Best was 78, 3 times. 2 at same easy course (Scottish highlands) one at difficult placement course (Bradford cc) where I kept my driver in the bag.

Shot my first par for 9, 1 bogey 1 birdie about a month ago and got my first hole in 1 a couple of weeks ago. I'm a 14.

Baltusrol was extra special because our 4some was myself, my father, my cousin and a member and my father was there in 1980 for Jacks US Open win and all three of us were there in 2005 for Phil's PGA.

• Like 1

played a gorgeous course for the first time today. Berkshire Valley. If you live in NNJ or even NY I would highly suggest it. Conditions were a little soggy and greens were slower than I like but we did have lots of rain the last two days.

So first of all, I woke up this morning with a pulled muscle in my neck. Popped a bunch of alieve, didn't help much so I was swinging weak. Not bad, exactly, just not getting much behind the ball.

Second, and this is the part that really grinds my gears as I hate when I get paired with people like this, I get paired with one dude who "works out another club" and throughout the round hes talking about how hes planning on going to Q School. :rolleyes: And another guy who right off the bat says hes a 5 handicap. If he was a 5, I'm a 5. So naturally these guys want to play the tips. I decide to join them because I dont really like being "that guy" playing the other tee's, and the course wasnt overly long although the tips did give me a nice little 245 yard par 3. a 4th guy shows up, middle aged guy, real nice, play the tips with us as well although he told me later he will usually play the whites, sometimes the blues.

But right off the bat, Mr "Q-school" hooks a 3 wood off the first tee into the woods. Hits another into the left rough. I think he had 1 birdie, lots of bogeys and didn't even finish out 2 holes. Mr. 5 handicap was more like a 14. Mr Q school did hit the ball well, and you could see the potential there but I really can't stand when guys just talk full of shiit all round. An off day is an off day but as myself and the middle aged dude commented midway through the round, you are what you are.... and all these two did was talk and talk and really didn't play nearly as well as they claimed they could. I don't care that they wanted to play the tips, they had the length for it, I get more annoyed by guys who constantly talk about themselves the whole round and everything is so obviously embellished. Mr. Q School's best round of the year was a 62 in a tournament qualifier :rolleyes: . Sorry but no guy shooting a 62 is going to tee off, hit it dead right and then when told he was set up that way, comment that the tee box sets you up that way. A good golfer stands behind his tee shot and realizes that.

/end of rant

I was 3 over through 5 (supposedly the hardest stretch on the course), 7 over through 9 and then the wheels just came off and I couldnt make a full turn on any shot and carded a 92 with maybe 4 lost balls. :lol:

I feel your pain WW. Got paired up with a couple like that last week.

So I've decided I'm going to fix my slight sway off the ball on the backswing (and slide during forward swing) once and for all. Sh!t has made my rounds so much feast or famine.

But right off the bat, Mr "Q-school" hooks a 3 wood off the first tee into the woods. Hits another into the left rough. I think he had 1 birdie, lots of bogeys and didn't even finish out 2 holes. Mr. 5 handicap was more like a 14. Mr Q school did hit the ball well, and you could see the potential there but I really can't stand when guys just talk full of shiit all round. An off day is an off day but as myself and the middle aged dude commented midway through the round, you are what you are.... and all these two did was talk and talk and really didn't play nearly as well as they claimed they could. I don't care that they wanted to play the tips, they had the length for it, I get more annoyed by guys who constantly talk about themselves the whole round and everything is so obviously embellished. Mr. Q School's best round of the year was a 62 in a tournament qualifier :rolleyes: . Sorry but no guy shooting a 62 is going to tee off, hit it dead right and then when told he was set up that way, comment that the tee box sets you up that way. A good golfer stands behind his tee shot and realizes that.

Agreed, can't stand to play with these kind of tools.............unless it's for $$.

Can usually spot them a mile away - typical signs: blades in the bag, name stitched on the bag, white belt, top of the line everything, tags from well known courses,,,,,,, and of course the talk of, "last week I shot 70 at Pebble..."

I always try and take a look in the bag - specifically their wedges and their driver. I want to see their wedges to see how worn they are, how worn the sweet spot is - this will tell me what kind of short game they have, if they work on their short game... Really good players rarely change wedges, their wedges always look worn. If you see bright, new shiny ones - you've got a pigeon... Secondly, I try and see what kind of shaft they have in their driver - I want to get an idea of the kind of ball speed they generate... Getting a peak inside a guy's bag is not always easy though, not something you just walk up and start poking around in.... But these kind of guys, you can always appeal to their vanity. Say something like, "Wow, these look just like the sticks DJ plays" or "Wow, I wish I were pro like so that I could play sticks like these - mind if take a look?"............. Works every time.

Mr Q school was talking about being ready to head down to Florida like he does every summer to get coaching :D

Again, he was a good player but if he thinks he's passing Q school he's delusional.

Mr 5 handicap was closer the the type you're describing. Had a baltusrol bag (not a member) actually said baltusrol isn't that nice :D. I told him he had no idea what he's talking about.

Best round was a 72 when I had never broken 80 before. Since then Ive broken 80 a few times but never below 77-78

A few "best rounds" come to mind.

• First time I beat my dad. Willow Springs and I shot an 86 to his 88. I think it's the only time we felt the need to shake hands after the last putt on 18.
  • I went through a period of being a high 80's golfer on the easy muni courses....This was about 20 years ago and in college....But one day we got onto Fossil Creek for free (much much tougher course) and I got in a groove and shot an 81. It was a stand alone round for several years.
  • First time I broke 80 was the summer of 2010 at Rockwood. I had gotten close several times, so the tension was building. I started the day birdie-birdie, and went on to shoot an even par 35 on the front. From that point on, I was just trying not to gag it away. 15, 16, and 17 I was a mental mess. I finally relaxed after I got off the tee on 18 with room to spare as I finished with a 77.
  • Like 1

My new clubs...

Having owned Ping Drivers and 2 sets of Mizuno irons I decided to go with the Ping G30 series driver and 3 wood and the Mizuno JPX EZ forged irons.

Ping G30 driver-

Opted for the stock ping stiff shaft. A few yards shorter than my last diver but a lot more forgiving. Goes pretty much where you aim it. Once I adjust the clubbed to my swing it's gonna be a beast (adjustment tool was not included)

Ping G30 3 wood-

Same shaft as the driver. Nearly as long as the driver and just as straight. Best 3 wood I've ever owned.

Mizuno JPX EZ forged irons 4-GW

Great irons,misshits saw little loss of distance or direction. The clubheads are 2* or a 1/2 club strong but I Saw no gains in yardage over my old set. Wedges are very playable around the green from a variety of lies.

Also in the bag:

Steelhead 4 wood

Taylor Made 3 hybrid and/or mizuno mp 52 3 iron

Ping g2 sw

Ping anser.

Bought online with no fitting.

Straight out of the box and into the bag after one bucket on the range.

Shot 76.

• Like 1

Best round ever...77 at Long Cove club in hilton head. I was 17 at the time and was on the high school golf team. Was on vacation and was invited by people staying in the condo next door. They needed a fourth. Never saw the course before. Beat all of them.

Best striking round... was in a four man scramble after playing 27 with my dads crew. We shot 9 under for 9 holes.. i was hitting the ball so damn crisp it was like I could do no wrong. I was hitting razor irons within 3 feet of the pin. I never even got to putt but they used like all but one of my drives.. and all my approaches. I still remember a four iron from 220 into a green where the pin was 3 feet from the right side. Stuck it 1 ft away in between hole and edge of green. I have never come close to striking the ball as pure as that 9 holes... it was like I was channeling jack nicklaus. I was in the zone. It was at some goat track. My dad and his buddies would go swap members with other clubs and play various courses in NE Ohio.

Karsten Ping persimmon woods.lol.. they were considered huge for the time. Pinnacle Iron hand me downs.. heel and toe weighted.. Northwestern utility wedge and a bullseye putter.

I still have those clubs. Upgrades to a set of Adams'

I miss my Dad for sure.

• Like 1

My new clubs...

Having owned Ping Drivers and 2 sets of Mizuno irons I decided to go with the Ping G30 series driver and 3 wood and the Mizuno JPX EZ forged irons.

What Mizuno irons did you have before?

I have MP-59s and am considering replacing them with EZ ones or maybe MP-18s (I hit the MP-25s and loved them).

Ping G30 driver-

Opted for the stock ping stiff shaft. A few yards shorter than my last diver but a lot more forgiving. Goes pretty much where you aim it. Once I adjust the clubbed to my swing it's gonna be a beast (adjustment tool was not included)

Same setup on my G30 set at 9.5, grip slightly (a lot..) open. The thing is simply the most forgiving driver I have ever used.

Take bad swings and still pound the ball, it's crazy, God bless technology.

Same setup on my G30 set at 9.5, grip slightly (a lot..) open. The thing is simply the most forgiving driver I have ever used.

Take bad swings and still pound the ball, it's crazy, God bless technology.

I have the G series woods and they're equally forgiving. :wub:

Still raving about my G LS Tech - the thing is long and sweet spot is a big as a toaster. I too have mine at 9.5*, 1* open faced... I draw it with ease and I've all but eliminated my dreaded snap-hook.

played a gorgeous course for the first time today. Berkshire Valley. If you live in NNJ or even NY I would highly suggest it. Conditions were a little soggy and greens were slower than I like but we did have lots of rain the last two days.

I've heard very good things about Berkshire Valley. The Morris County public courses are well maintained in general. If you haven't played Flanders Valley, it's also very good, but more traditional than some of the newer NJ public courses. How would you say that Berkshire compares to Ballyowen?

I played in an outing last week, and holed out on a 60-yard lob wedge on 17. The long game was a little crooked, but the short game has rounded into shape nicely as we approach colder times. I am trying to squeeze a round or two in before the weather turns. I am booked for Wild Turkey next week since it will be 70 and sunny. That may be the last of the local rounds before I start dragging the clubs on my warm-weather work trips. I hate the fact that I always get my game in decent shape and then stop playing, but there's not much I can do about living where we live. A guy from town is the pro at an indoor place...I may see what kind of deals they have so that I could start hitting balls there in February and March...not the same, but at least I could get my swing rhythm in line a little earlier in the season.

As far as my greatest round ever, when I was 20, I played on a rainy Monday at the country club where I lifeguarded. It was caddie's day, and nobody was coming to the pool since it was pouring. I have no idea what I shot, but I was playing out of my mind, and was accompanied by my favorite girl lifeguard coworker. We had a blast, I taught her a little bit about golf, and she taught me some stuff on the 15th tee, far from the Clubhouse. It was no round at Merion or Bethpage Black, but it was still great. Best job I ever had. :banana:

7 of my friends and I took a quick flight (~45 minutes) to Northern Michigan today, to play a course called True North. Left at 6am; got back at 10pm. One of my friends - the one with the KingAir - is a member (there are only 90). We played 36: 3-9 hole matches, followed by 9 more holes of random draw partner alternate shot. $200/guy buy in. The alternate shot 9 was also to determine which twosome was buying dinner for the group at Chandler's in Petoskey.

This is my 3rd time playing True North; what a gem it is. We had the course virtually to ourselves. I played pretty solidly - absolutely bombing my driver the best I've hit it all year - and shot 40 on each 9, which I was pretty happy with considering I didn't realize that my PW was missing from my bag, leaving a very large hole between my 9 and my gap wedge. Not having it probably cost me 4 strokes on the day (I sucked terribly trying to sub my 9, or trying to step on my gap wedge a couple of times).

Weather was pretty good for upper Michigan: low 60's and mostly cloudy. Best shot of the day was during alternate shot, in which I drew the same guy I had played with all day. Short par 4 - 300 yards into the wind - and I asked that he keep the driver in the bag to avoid the dreaded short pitch to an elevated green. He mishit his 3 wood, pushing it right, but it funneled perfectly back into the fairway, leaving me 88 yards directly into the fan to a green elevated about 20 feet above the fairway. Sand wedge. Stuck it to 8 inches for gimme birdie. We took the lead at that point, and kept it.

Fantastic day. I'm sore and tired.

I've heard very good things about Berkshire Valley. The Morris County public courses are well maintained in general. If you haven't played Flanders Valley, it's also very good, but more traditional than some of the newer NJ public courses. How would you say that Berkshire compares to Ballyowen?

I played in an outing last week, and holed out on a 60-yard lob wedge on 17. The long game was a little crooked, but the short game has rounded into shape nicely as we approach colder times. I am trying to squeeze a round or two in before the weather turns. I am booked for Wild Turkey next week since it will be 70 and sunny. That may be the last of the local rounds before I start dragging the clubs on my warm-weather work trips. I hate the fact that I always get my game in decent shape and then stop playing, but there's not much I can do about living where we live. A guy from town is the pro at an indoor place...I may see what kind of deals they have so that I could start hitting balls there in February and March...not the same, but at least I could get my swing rhythm in line a little earlier in the season.

As far as my greatest round ever, when I was 20, I played on a rainy Monday at the country club where I lifeguarded. It was caddie's day, and nobody was coming to the pool since it was pouring. I have no idea what I shot, but I was playing out of my mind, and was accompanied by my favorite girl lifeguard coworker. We had a blast, I taught her a little bit about golf, and she taught me some stuff on the 15th tee, far from the Clubhouse. It was no round at Merion or Bethpage Black, but it was still great. Best job I ever had. :banana:

havn't played ballyowen to be honest. Only Crystal Springs and Black Bear. Like I've mentioned in this thread a few times, I've rarely played golf the past few years aside from charity and corporate outings. Its only been since about august that I decided to start taking some days off from work and using teeoff.com and the other sites to book some of the deal times.

not being able to compare it to Bally, I would have to say that Berkshire is the nicest NNJ course (layout and conditions) i've played outside of private clubs. If I wasn't dealing with a back issue and if the course wasn't so wet, I probably would have scored a little better from the tips. Wild Turkey is another I have not played yet but have been meaning to. Not sure about Flanders. There are so many courses that I got to play for free when I was a little younger and worked in the golf business that I don't really remember them all and most were one off opportunities. My old boss had a lot of the club repair accounts (even had Baltusrols). So for example, when i played Fox Hollow recently, I instantly remembered it when I drove up but when I booked the time, had not remembered playing it.

I may squeeze in one more round and then Im playing Stanton Ridge CC next week. May pack it in after that and just hit the range, practice facility near me for the rest of the season.

Haven't played since August 31st in a scramble.

paid 1740 for a membership and played.

6 focking times :( 18 holes

My Handicap Index/Score History
Player Name Ed
GHIN Number ***
Current Revision 10/15/2017
Current Index 13.0
Rounds Posted (curr year) 7
Recent Revisions
Date Index
10/15/2017 13.0
10/01/2017 13.0
09/15/2017 13.0
09/01/2017 13.0
08/15/2017 13.0
08/01/2017 12.9
07/15/2017 12.9
07/01/2017 12.9
06/15/2017 NH
06/01/2017 NH
05/15/2017 NH
05/01/2017 NH
04/15/2017 NH
04/01/2017 NH
Scores Used in Current Revision
Date Score Type Diff.
08/05/2017 86 H 14.6
06/21/2017 99 H 26.6
06/21/2017 87 H 15.6
06/11/2017 85 C 13.5
04/29/2017 85 H 13.7
04/16/2017 93 H 21.0
04/15/2017 98 H 25.5
bold is at a different course

And what I came to post was that I played Beaver Brook in Annandale NJ yesterday. Again played the "tips" but its not a long course at all. Tight but not very long. My back issue (really more of a neck issue) has not gotten any better. I was able to hit the ball straight but had NOTHING behind it. Just started clubbing up to compensate and shot 81 with 1 birdie and nothing worse than a bogey (so basically i made a LOT of bogeys)

On the course at the Champions tour event. Followed Perry, Jiminez, Monte, Vijay mostly this morning. Gonna follow Rocco and Langer this afternoon. Jiminez dropped an eagle on 16 and did the Chi Chi sword move. Fun guy to follow and really plays to the crowd. He was driving out near Perry most of the time.

I love going to tourneys. The level of hotness is unbelievable. This is actually my first senior event but the hotties are out in droves. Plenty of 8s and 9s elite white whores that I wanna punch in the face.

PSA - damaged rangefinder (Bushnell models)

I dropped my rangefinder (Tour V3 model) in a cooler of ice water. I didn't notice it for about 1 1/2 holes.... The unit was obviously soaked, appeared to be fried. After letting it sit in a bag of rice for 2 days, and then in a bag of Silica gel for a few more days - still showed no signs of life... I almost tossed it, then decided to give Bushnell a call - figured what the hell..... Glad I did.

* Mail device back to them - with all your info, description of the damage.

* After about 10-14 days, you will get a postcard acknowledging receipt of your device.

* After another week or 2 you will receive a letter. This will either detail the repairs needed and the costs........or.......they will tell you your device is beyond repair and maybe offer you a credit for your device towards a new one.

* The repairs on my device were not cost effective and/or beyond repair... They offered me a $100 deal for a new/refurbished V3 unit. I gave them my credit card over the phone - received my device in a week.

Just some fyi info for anyone who might have this happen in the future.... $100 for a new/refurbished device is a hell of a lot better than going out and dropping $400 for a brand new one.

I have a v3 (no slope calcs) and its awesome. They seem like a good company

I have a v3 (no slope calcs) and its awesome. They seem like a good company

I don't understand why people shell out the extra $$$ for the Slope feature....... I guess maybe if you don't play often enuff.....but then again, if you don't play that much - is knowing the slope going to help you all that much anyway?

Those that play regularly have a pretty good feel for how much to club up/down for situations like that.

I don't get the appeal on the Bushnell point-and-click rangefinders in general to be honest I just got one as part of a package for winning an outing on Monday and I'm most likely going to sell it

I already have a Bushnell Neo ghost Clips onto my belt gives me the GPS yardage from where I'm standing to the front, middle and back of the green, will tell me how far I hit a shot, seems to have every course that I've played loaded in it and that works just fine for me I really don't see the need to have a super expensive point-and-click rangefinder. I also won the Neo Ghost at an outing but they retail for like 50 dollars.

I understand you can point and click to get the yardages to certain bunkers and Hazards and trees whereas what I'm using is just giving me the distance from wherever I am to the middle of the green but I have eyes they work I don't know it's just never seemed to be something that I've needed or had the desire to purchase