Sign in to follow this  
Voltaire

When it rains it pours. Another police shooting in Cleveland of a 12 y/o black boy

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/27/us/video-shows-cleveland-officer-shot-tamir-rice-2-seconds-after-pulling-up-next-to-him.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=second-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

We're not done with the rioting in Ferguson. We've still got the situation in Milwaukee unwinding of a white cop/black victim from this past spring, now today Cleveland cops shot dead a 12 y/o black kid.

This one's really, really bad.

Going in, the 9/11 caller says the perpetrator who was threatening everyone walking by with the gun was probably a juvenile and the the gun may not be real, may just be a toy. The cops who pull up shoot him dead within two seconds of arrival, the one pulling the trigger was a young guy on the force for less than a year. It was indeed a toy replica gun.

Um.... I predict bad things. As for me, my knee-jerk sympathy for the cops where I always take their side -as I just got done posting in another thread- I'm thinking that streak ends here.

do you have any ideas how many black kids come in a single litter? We kill one and there's like 9 others right behind them.

what do you think they have to make up such weird f****** names?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/27/us/video-shows-cleveland-officer-shot-tamir-rice-2-seconds-after-pulling-up-next-to-him.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=second-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

We're not done with the rioting in Ferguson. We've still got the situation in Milwaukee unwinding of a white cop/black victim from this past spring, now today Cleveland cops shot dead a 12 y/o black kid.

This one's really, really bad.

Going in, the 9/11 caller says the perpetrator who was threatening everyone walking by with the gun was probably a juvenile and the the gun may not be real, may just be a toy. The cops who pull up shoot him dead within two seconds of arrival, the one pulling the trigger was a young guy on the force for less than a year. It was indeed a toy replica gun.

Um.... I predict bad things. As for me, my knee-jerk sympathy for the cops where I always take their side -as I just got done posting in another thread- I'm thinking that streak ends here.

Really? because they just released a video showing the kid reaching for the gun when told to put his hands up. There was no orange tip to signal it was a toy and its an airsoft gun that looks remarkably real. If the cops come to my place and tell me to put my hands up and I reach into my waistband to grab at what looks to be a real gun.........they should shoot me. Its that focking simple. You are better than this volty.

Really? because they just released a video showing the kid reaching for the gun when told to put his hands up. There was no orange tip to signal it was a toy and its an airsoft gun that looks remarkably real. If the cops come to my place and tell me to put my hands up and I reach into my waistband to grab at what looks to be a real gun.........they should shoot me. Its that focking simple. You are better than this volty.

Bingo.

If it had been a real gun, there would have been no real question about the shooting (other than the typical rabble rousers who will claim any shooting of a black person is racist).

But, stop and ask a simple question: is there any way the cops could have known at the time that it was a toy gun?

Bingo.

If it had been a real gun, there would have been no real question about the shooting (other than the typical rabble rousers who will claim any shooting of a black person is racist).

But, stop and ask a simple question: is there any way the cops could have known at the time that it was a toy gun?

There was a breakdown in communication from the 911 dispatcher. The caller said he thought it was a toy gun which was not passed on to the cops. so when they arrived they were walking into a situation where they believed someone was pointing a gun at passing traffic. Tell me volty. If someone reached for this what would you think was about to happen? http://www.armurerie-pascal.com/268/colt-m1911-a1-full-metal-gaz-airsoft.jpg

There was a breakdown in communication from the 911 dispatcher. The caller said he thought it was a toy gun which was not passed on to the cops. so when they arrived they were walking into a situation where they believed someone was pointing a gun at passing traffic. Tell me volty. If someone reached for this what would you think was about to happen? http://www.armurerie-pascal.com/268/colt-m1911-a1-full-metal-gaz-airsoft.jpg

This. Dispatch killed this kid.

Society revolting at the thought the people have to have personal responsibility and accountability for their actions.

If a black person is killed doing something wrong its about race as it is well known blacks never ever do anything wrong. If any other race is killed while doing something wrong...well they should not have been doing that.

Cops rode in there like cowboys and blew the poor kid away.. 0 attempt to defuse the situation what so ever.. this is not a race issue it is hot rod police officers going off the rails with no reguard

Swarm to protect and serve

Cops rode in there like cowboys and blew the poor kid away.. 0 attempt to defuse the situation what so ever.. this is not a race issue it is hot rod police officers going off the rails with no reguard

Swarm to protect and serve

that is not even remotly what happened. good thing there is a video of the kid showing he made a move for the weapon so dipshits like you do not cause a cop to go to jail.

Yea a vid showing the whipping in not approaching from a distance and giving a scared 12 year old no time to process anything

Yea a vid showing the whipping in not approaching from a distance and giving a scared 12 year old no time to process anything

did you miss the part where the cops were told that someone was pointing a gun at passing traffic. That the information it could have been a toy gun was not passed along to the cops. THAT is the response I expect from cops who think they are walking into this situation.

Right shoot first ask later and take the word of an annonomous 911 caller who could have been wrong to begin with

this is not hard to understand. If you reach for a weapon when the cops say to put your hands up you should be shot. That is quite simple.

Cops should not have to second guess when it comes down to a split second decision that could cost them their life. Do not make the cops kill you and 99% of the time they won't

I'm the first to say Fock the police when they are in the wrong. In this case they did what they had to

Right shoot first ask later and take the word of an annonomous 911 caller who could have been wrong to begin with

right. lets just ignore 911. anyone who calls is a racist trying to murder black youth anyway.

Serious question: if he was a white 12 year old kid, would he have gotten more of a benefit of the doubt? Maybe from the 911 caller or the police themselves?

Just asking a question.

Serious question: if he was a white 12 year old kid, would he have gotten more of a benefit of the doubt? Maybe from the 911 caller or the police themselves?

Just asking a question.

no

Just asking a question.

Andy Lopez looked pretty white to me. Certainly not black and he was shot and killed in almost the exact situation. But I bet you have not heard of that because was not black.

Despite what you may think cops are not out to kill black youth. Instead of blaming the cops who are doing their jobs maybe it's time for the black community to start instilling basic etiquette the rest of the world is expected to follow when it comes to police interaction

I hadn't realized the dispatch officer hadn't passed on info to the responders that the suspect was a juvenile and the gun may be a toy.

This one may be a bit more personal. It just so happens that as a teen I was playing laser tag with ~a dozen or so friends~ at a local elementary school in the evening under the moonlight. Somebody called the cops on us and wouldn't you know the first kid the cops came across at the scene was me. I had the gun in my hand, may well have wound up like this kid.

So I tell him we're playing laser tag and I'm wearing the harness that lights up when you get shot to indicate as such. Fortunatly he didn't shoot in that instant before I got those words out of my mouth which I'm sure de-escalated things a bit but not enough. He's still got his gun pointed at me, tells me to drop mine, I put it down gently because it's plastic and don't want it to break. He gives a rough kick about 20 feet away -which I didn't appreciate at all- frisks me asking me questions and things really calm down. My friends all come out. I was happy the gun still worked even though it was scratched up a bit.

So he takes down our names and tells us not to play laser tag there anymore. We'd played there at least a half dozen times already without incident. But we did stop after this, we liked it too much. So we did something that was probably 1000x more dangerous, we went down south of 8 Mile inside Detroit city limits and played there. This would have given my mom ulcers so I never told her we changed locations. But we never had any bad incident that happened to us down there.

When I went in the Army the recruiter asked if I'd had any run-ins with the law. This was the only story I had where they took down my name. I never had so much as a traffic ticket in HS.

Andy Lopez looked pretty white to me. Certainly not black and he was shot and killed in almost the exact situation. But I bet you have not heard of that because was not black.

Lopez probably ain't white.

Anyway I'm not blaiming the cops. I think a lot of you guys tend to misunderstand and assume I'm saying the cops were just a bunch of KKK racists who want to shoot black kids. I imagine that's pretty damn rare and it's a rather simplistic approach. No, what I'm saying is maybe society as a whole is just more willing to seek reasons for and understand white kids' behavior as opposed to blacks. Not an overt racism thing, more of a subconscious institutional type racism.

Could the cops do us all a favor and just out and out execute a juvenile honor student in cold blood? All of this wishy washy stuff is just dividing us further. :(

I found a toy gun when I was walking the dog. It took me a minute to figure out it was a toy standing right over it. I can identify most guns of any kind when I see them in a store or in a movie. (I identified a LeMat in a couple of seconds (look it up))

No cop in the world would of been able to identify the gun I saw as a toy if it were pulled on him.

Lets review some important safety tips:

If you are approached by police, do not make any threatening moves.

If they tell you to do something (hands up, lye down, etc.) do it the first time they ask.

If you have a toy gun, do not attempt to point it at the officers.

:doh:

Lopez probably ain't white.

Anyway I'm not blaiming the cops. I think a lot of you guys tend to misunderstand and assume I'm saying the cops were just a bunch of KKK racists who want to shoot black kids. I imagine that's pretty damn rare and it's a rather simplistic approach. No, what I'm saying is maybe society as a whole is just more willing to seek reasons for and understand white kids' behavior as opposed to blacks. Not an overt racism thing, more of a subconscious institutional type racism.

bullshit. If a cop in my hometown of grasslake came upon a scence where he HAD to assume that this kid had a real gun because the information given to him was just that. I would assume he would have to smoke the white kid attemting to grab what clearly looks like a gun. Its not about race its about knowing what you HAVE to do when a cop tells you to put your hands up. If you dont do that anything that happens after that is gonna be your fault for the most part. Its a direct order from a law enforcement official. Grabbing for a gun in front of a cop that just told you to put your hands up is gonna get anyone killed and that is common sense that not everyone has or has instilled into their kids.

I used to play army, and cowboys and indians as a kid all the time. We used cap guns, toy swords, whatever. We never thought twice about it, and never encountered any police. I've never played these kinds of games with my sons, but I see and hear them doing it anyway.

For whatever reason, they're naturally drawn to this type of action play like I was. I eventually grew out of it, and even now find myself less interested in gangsters, cop shows, military movies, etc.

I suppose once my sons discover girls, they'll gladly put down their weapons and pick up candy and flowers. But what are we supposed to do until then? Ban all toy weapons? Restrict their play to dedicated areas for this type of activity? What are we supposed to do as a society to help prevent this kind of tragedy from happening again?

I can't stand the thought of further pussifcation, but I also can't stomach when children are being killed because a cop happened upon them while they were playing cops and robbers in the park.

I used to play army, and cowboys and indians as a kid all the time. We used cap guns, toy swords, whatever. We never thought twice about it, and never encountered any police. I've never played these kinds of games with my sons, but I see and hear them doing it anyway.

For whatever reason, they're naturally drawn to this type of action play like I was. I eventually grew out of it, and even now find myself less interested in gangsters, cop shows, military movies, etc.

I suppose once my sons discover girls, they'll gladly put down their weapons and pick up candy and flowers. But what are we supposed to do until then? Ban all toy weapons? Restrict their play to dedicated areas for this type of activity? What are we supposed to do as a society to help prevent this kind of tragedy from happening again?

I can't stand the thought of further pussifcation, but I also can't stomach when children are being killed because a cop happened upon them while they were playing cops and robbers in the park.

and our toy weapons didn't have the orange safety tips either.

Though...most were not a very realistic interpretation of a real weapon either.

My question is why the cop didn't bother to try to assess the situation / figure out if this was a toy given that no shots were fired and the perp was a kid? Like maybe not drive up to point blank range? :doh:

I don't think the cop acted out of any racial intent but I definitely do think people saying this is okay and the kid's fault are motivated by race. The Brown thing is questionable because of the lack if video and conflicting reports, this case and the Trayvon Martin case are outrageous. :doh:

The cops should all roll with partners and not be allowed to shoot at a suspect until their partner has been shot. This should eliminate any possibility of the gun being a toy or even a real gun shooting blanks.

The cops should all roll with partners and not be allowed to shoot at a suspect until their partner has been shot. This should eliminate any possibility of the gun being a toy or even a real gun shooting blanks.

:D

Kinda like the current rules of engagement for our military?

How dumb is he to not freeze and put the gun down. Dont tell me that a 12yr old kid cant comprehend that, he can. when I was 5yrs old id have knows to raise my hands, drop my toy and start crying when I saw a cop with sirens. At 12 I was perfectly savvy and would not have gotten shot. this kid was training for real guns anyway, he prob did the community a service in advance.

The exact same thing happened in my hometown of Santa Rosa Ca not too long ago. A mexican kid had a toy gun made to look like a real AK47 and got shot and killed by police. But since he wasnt black, they made it a police thing and not a race thing.

How dumb is he to not freeze and put the gun down. Dont tell me that a 12yr old kid cant comprehend that, he can. when I was 5yrs old id have knows to raise my hands, drop my toy and start crying when I saw a cop with sirens. At 12 I was perfectly savvy and would not have gotten shot. this kid was training for real guns anyway, he prob did the community a service in advance.

The exact same thing happened in my hometown of Santa Rosa Ca not too long ago. A mexican kid had a toy gun made to look like a real AK47 and got shot and killed by police. But since he wasnt black, they made it a police thing and not a race thing.

andy lopez was his name

the cops should be required to wear a camera on them at all times. This would solve the he said she said bullshitt

It's just too bad that they are already pot committed with a thug theif druggie. This one might have traction.

My question is why the cop didn't bother to try to assess the situation / figure out if this was a toy given that no shots were fired and the perp was a kid? Like maybe not drive up to point blank range? :doh:

I don't think the cop acted out of any racial intent but I definitely do think people saying this is okay and the kid's fault are motivated by race. The Brown thing is questionable because of the lack if video and conflicting reports, this case and the Trayvon Martin case are outrageous. :doh:

I'm calling bullshitt. It's obvious why the cop did not wait the kid reached for what the cop had to assume Was a real weapon. In that case I am going to side with the cop 100% of the time No matter of its whitey mcWhiterton Or blackey mcblackerton. It's not a racial issue. It's a police safety issue.