Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Browns trade Corey Coleman to Bills

As a dynasty Coleman owner this move saddens me greatly.

As a metal head, your username makes me happy greatly.

I'm not saying you are wrong....

but a lot of WR generally dont produce until year 3. Sometimes year 4. all this means is none listed made an immediate impact worth noting. Given the apparent depth of talent, that is a bit surprising. Nothing more.

I'm not ready to call this class a dud yet. we probably need 2 more years until we can actually do that..

Remember how good that wr draft class was supposedly. If it wasn't for Michael Thomas there wouldn't be too much from any of these guys

Corey Coleman
Lequon Treadwell
Josh Doctson
Will Fuller
Sterling Sheppard

Word out of Cleveland was that he was regularly closing the bars in the flats in Cleveland even after training camp opened. Dorsey sat him down along with a couple others. Only Coleman didn't curb the partying style. So, off to Buffalo he goes. I wonder how they'll like watching the football go through his hands and literally bounce off his facemask. I swear that happened at least three times last year.

This ends the Sashi Brown era. Dorsey is a true blood football guy and isn't putting up with any BS!!

I'm not saying you are wrong....

but a lot of WR generally dont produce until year 3. Sometimes year 4. all this means is none listed made an immediate impact worth noting. Given the apparent depth of talent, that is a bit surprising. Nothing more.

I'm not ready to call this class a dud yet. we probably need 2 more years until we can actually do that..

I think the 3rd year WR is a bit dated. For some it's still true but with the way high schools and colleges throw the ball now, WR are coming in with more experience than ever. If the WR is picked in the first round, I think most teams expect them to produce in year 1.

Something to remember is that when a team acquires a player they also acquire the contract, and there are considerations for both teams associated.

Available salary cap is an equally important asset in this era as draft picks.

Coleman is on a rookie deal, and while all rookie deals are favorable, he has the contract of the 15th pick in the first round of the 2016 draft.

So................a team that acquires Coleman is assuming his '18 salary, plus if they cut him this year, would also assume a Dead cap hit that includes a pro-rated portion of his original signing bonus. I think Cleveland would have had a cap hit of 3.5 million if they had cut him, Buffalo now assumes this obligation as far as I know. Beyond '18 there are considerations each year remaining on his contract.

A team has to like Coleman and have him fit into their overall cap space this year, plus fit how they project their cap budget going forward while considering all of the moving parts on their roster.

For instance the Browns now do not have a 3.5 million cap hit for cutting Coleman, money they can spend elsewhere, on Dez perhaps. The pick received is a small asset but the salary cap now and going forward saved by trading him was/is an asset too.

The Bills take an interesting flyer but there is more cost than the 7th round pick spent. There are also current and future salary cap obligations which means less money to spend on re-signing current players and future free agents.

When all is said and done, there can be many less suitors for a player in Coleman's situation than one would think. A team has to feel they like Coleman as a prospect, a fit in their system and locker room, fit within their cap for '18, as well as in future years with however they project their roster going forward, etc.

The value of player in the league is inextricably tied to their contract and how both the player and the contract fit into current and future roster plans of each interested team.

The Coleman cut by the Bills now makes possible a post-mortem for the cap implications of this trade.

The Browns "only" received a 7th round pick but moved the obligation of the contract associated with Coleman.

If the Browns had cut Coleman they would be the ones taking the hit today.

Spotrac

Verified account @spotrac
FollowFollow @spotrac
More

Spotrac Retweeted Ian Rapoport

The #Bills will actually LOSE $2M in cap space per this move. As Coleman held guaranteed salaries of $1.5M, & $2M that now accelerate to 2018 dead cap.

https://twitter.com/spotrac/status/1035894864297320448

Spotrac

Corey Coleman gets $3.55M from the #Bills for 25 days of practice. It’s not bad work if you can get it...