Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Your top 10 Running Backs of all time? NFL only (not counting what they did in college)

By that logic we should be calling the Browns' offensive line over the last several years above average because, hey, they have Joe Thomas! You would have to be drunk or just plain not watched the Lions on a routine basis to think the blocking was special.

Sanders played behind an average at best line with elite QBs like Scott Mitchell and Rodney Peete, routinely leaving him to run against a stacked box. His average yards before contact was several yards lower than Emmitt Smith yet he averaged 1500+ yards per season.

The logic is that his line wasn't as horrible as it's made out to be, and that's how it's described, horrible. It flys in the face of logic that he could lead the league in rushing as often as he did with a horrible line. His team went to the playoffs multiple times as well. He did t play for a team anywhere near as inept as the Browns. If Barry backers just said Emmit had a great line and Barry an average one their defense of him would be more respectable. I watched plenty of his games. I don't think his style of running is the way to go in the NFL.

Smith finished 11 of his 15 seasons with a yards per carry of 4.3 or less. 4.3 happens to be Sanders' worst season. As for consistency, Sanders had 76 100 yd rushing games two less than Emmitt...in 73 fewer games. The Lions made those playoffs because of Sanders.

I'm a huge Payton fan, but sanders was the best of my lifetime, if he didn't decide to retire so early, he would have put the rushing record so far out of reach. Imagine if he had the Bears line of Payton or smiths cowboys line?

I'm a huge Payton fan, but sanders was the best of my lifetime, if he didn't decide to retire so early, he would have put the rushing record so far out of reach. Imagine if he had the Bears line of Payton or smiths cowboys line?

That is what makes the argument for me. There is no way anyone could possibly argue that Smith would perform at Sanders level if he were in Detroit (he couldn't even come close to Sanders averages while playing in Dallas). I never watched Payton so I won't comment on that one.

Then edjrstoopidhead should have better defined the topic, cause no doubt in my mind that Bo was the best RB of all time.

Are we talking stats?

Longevity?

What?

I also agree with you as mebbe the greatest athlete of all time. The argument CAN be made for him :thumbsup:

:huh:

best RB of all time

Why would you use longevity when it comes to greatest ever?

sh1t happens, people get hurt. Are you any less great because you did it for 3 years and not 10 :wacko:

We all KNOW Bo is on any top 10 list, we all saw him.

Smith finished 11 of his 15 seasons with a yards per carry of 4.3 or less. 4.3 happens to be Sanders' worst season. As for consistency, Sanders had 76 100 yd rushing games two less than Emmitt...in 73 fewer games. The Lions made those playoffs because of Sanders.

How many negative runs did Barry have per game? Why did every coach take him out at the goal line?

That is what makes the argument for me. There is no way anyone could possibly argue that Smith would perform at Sanders level if he were in Detroit (he couldn't even come close to Sanders averages while playing in Dallas). I never watched Payton so I won't comment on that one.

And Berry would not have performed as well in Dallas as Smith.

Who was the greatest goal line back?

Marcus Allen?

Say Jerome Bettis and you shouldn't answer the door if you get anyone knocking this weekend

Marcus Allen?

Say Jerome Bettis and you shouldn't answer the door if you get anyone knocking this weekend

The one with the most short yardage TDs? :dunno:

The one with the most short yardage TDs? :dunno:

Payton

Sanders

Brown

Smith

Peterson

Faulk

OJ

Dickerson

Allen

Herschel Walker (has there ever been a player used more poorly by his teams)

Payton

Sanders

Brown

Smith

Peterson

Faulk

OJ

Dickerson

Allen

Michael Bishop was used a QB, whose bright idea was that?

And Berry would not have performed as well in Dallas as Smith.

How do you figure that? Playing behind a better line, with a great fullback, a HOF QB and WR and you somehow think he would run for over a yard less per carry (what Smith did)? He wouldn't have the goalie TDs Smith had but he would have had numerous more opportunities to break big runs if he wasn't getting hit a yard behind the line every carry. Even without goal line work the man put up 10 touchdowns per year. I am fully confident Dallas would have figured out how to use Sanders (and funny thing, you don't lose yardage on runs very often when the defense doesn't get into the backfield).

The logic is that his line wasn't as horrible as it's made out to be, and that's how it's described, horrible. It flys in the face of logic that he could lead the league in rushing as often as he did with a horrible line. His team went to the playoffs multiple times as well. He did t play for a team anywhere near as inept as the Browns. If Barry backers just said Emmit had a great line and Barry an average one their defense of him would be more respectable. I watched plenty of his games. I don't think his style of running is the way to go in the NFL.

Horrible compared to Dallas of that era yes. That is where most of the grade comes from. Barry and Smiff were the guys of that little era for RBs. One had one of the best lines in history. The other had a below average line. One retired early the other stuck around to crawl his way to the record.

Payton

Sanders

Brown

Smith

Peterson

Faulk

OJ

Dickerson

Allen

any list without LT on it is just plain stupid

what did Marcus Allen do better than LT?

as a matter of fact, any list with Marcus Allen on it period SUCKS

dude had 3 seasons of 1000 yards rushing and they were years 2-4, he finished his career with 10 straight seasons of under 900 yards

Horrible compared to Dallas of that era yes. That is where most of the grade comes from. Barry and Smiff were the guys of that little era for RBs. One had one of the best lines in history. The other had a below average line. One retired early the other stuck around to crawl his way to the record.

Emmitt broke the record while still a Cowboy - at age 33.... LT, Sweetness and Curtis Martin all played to 32. Thurman Thomas played till 34. Emmitt breaking the record at 33 was hanging on? Now you can make an argument he hung on trying to extend it, I'll give you that - but he broke it in due time.

Emmitt broke the record while still a Cowboy - at age 33.... LT, Sweetness and Curtis Martin all played to 32. Thurman Thomas played till 34. Emmitt breaking the record at 33 was hanging on? Now you can make an argument he hung on trying to extend it, I'll give you that - but he broke it in due time.

He hung on to break it. He stayed crawling for 2 yards a pop in AZ to try and get a lead. The Cowboys began to suck yet they were happy to trot old Emmitt out there to run into the line for 3 yard a pop and 250 carries. It is telling that was his last year with the Cowboys. They wanted him to break it there. After he did he was of little use. Hell his last couple years with Dallas they could have looked to get younger and more explosive as they started to decline.

Why he went to AZ for 2 more years boggles my mind other than he wanted to extend it.

A year before Martin retired he ran for 1700 yards. Of course he came back for one more year. Of course the following year he hit the wall and then hung it up. Smiff was shot of like 4 years before he decided he had enough yards.

Year Age Tm Lg G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS 1921 26 NYY AL 152 693 540 177 204 44 16 59 168 17 13 145 81 .378 .512 .846 1.359

Babe Ruth's stat line from 1921. Since we are having a greatest all time discussion. HA HA

He hung on to break it. He stayed crawling for 2 yards a pop in AZ to try and get a lead. The Cowboys began to suck yet they were happy to trot old Emmitt out there to run into the line for 3 yard a pop and 250 carries. It is telling that was his last year with the Cowboys. They wanted him to break it there. After he did he was of little use. Hell his last couple years with Dallas they could have looked to get younger and more explosive as they started to decline.

He was still averaging 4 ypc in 2002 kid.

Or, maybe Emmitt just loved playing football

Yeah perhaps. Either way from the outside eye it looks like he hung around on bad teams just to get his carries and yards. He got carries no matter how ineffective he was.

Barry ran for 2000 and the Lions made the playoffs. He came back ran for a cool 1500, they declined back to 5 wins....so he retired.

So, maybe, Barry wanted to win much more than Emmitt, Emmitt just happened to play on a great team.

Yeah perhaps. Either way from the outside eye it looks like he hung around on bad teams just to get his carries and yards. He got carries no matter how ineffective he was.

Barry ran for 2000 and the Lions made the playoffs. He came back ran for a cool 1500, they declined back to 5 wins....so he retired.

So, maybe, Barry wanted to win much more than Emmitt, Emmitt just happened to play on a great team.

From the outside eye, it looks like he hung around because he loved playing football

He was still averaging 4 ypc in 2002 kid.

4 is good in your eyes? And it was 3.8. Hell it wasn't even a full 4 pathetic ypc in 2001. But I suppose we can round up for the sake of your argument.

4ypc was a nice year for Emmitt behind an all time line.

4 is good in your eyes? And it was 3.8. Hell it wasn't even a full 4 pathetic ypc in 2001. But I suppose we can round up for the sake of your argument.

4ypc was a nice year for Emmitt behind an all time line.

Ha, 3.8 - okay kid.. It's a shame you only read about it online - to actually see his career was pretty incredible.

He was a tough bugger I'll give him that. But other than Cowboy fans, he is mildly overrated for the number of carries and the talent on the teams he played for most of his career.

Ha, 3.8 - okay kid.. It's a shame you only read about it online - to actually see his career was pretty incredible.

I missed his glory years for the most part. I only really remember him hanging on to the game and Dallas making sure he got the record there. Which is what I am posting about.

And again there is nothing much wrong with hanging around for a record. Maybe after winning SBs early he turned his eye to the record.

And I suppose I knew it would get cowboy fans all twitchy, but all I was pointing out was one went out still on top, the other hung on to play on bad teams and rack up yards. One had a great line and team and won SBs. The other was on a laughing stock franchise that he took to the playoffs a handful of times. The difference between the 2 top backs of the 90s is big.

I'm sure if you talked to Barry he would trade in his ability and stats for 1 of Emmitt's SB rings.

Marcus Allen?

Sam "Bam" Cunningham.

Best Non-Patriots:

Earl Campbell

Csonka

How do you figure that? Playing behind a better line, with a great fullback, a HOF QB and WR and you somehow think he would run for over a yard less per carry (what Smith did)? He wouldn't have the goalie TDs Smith had but he would have had numerous more opportunities to break big runs if he wasn't getting hit a yard behind the line every carry. Even without goal line work the man put up 10 touchdowns per year. I am fully confident Dallas would have figured out how to use Sanders (and funny thing, you don't lose yardage on runs very often when the defense doesn't get into the backfield).

Barry nerver learned it was sometimes better for the team to get 2 yards instead of being a hotdog and losing 2 yards. He would of had more long runs true but Jimmy would have pulled his ass on the goal line just like every other coach did. By the way Barry's line was not horrible his whole career. Now his QB that is completely different.

Any list without Jim Brown in it isn't worth the discussion.

Bingo! But idiot Ed said he didn't see it so it didn't happen.

Barry nerver learned it was sometimes better for the team to get 2 yards instead of being a hotdog and losing 2 yards. He would of had more long runs true but Jimmy would have pulled his ass on the goal line just like every other coach did. By the way Barry's line was not horrible his whole career. Now his QB that is completely different.

He had plenty of GL carries his first few years until the coaches changed and wanted a bigger back at the GL for no real reason. "like every other coach did" did he get pulled in college?

Never learned or that was his style? When a guy is in your backfield you are going to try something. When you have gapping holes behind Newton and Allen then it is easy to go forward, you don't need to go sideways.

I read a stat that Barry averaged 3 yards more negitive yards a game than blood and guts go forward Walter Payton.

any list without LT on it is just plain stupid

what did Marcus Allen do better than LT?

as a matter of fact, any list with Marcus Allen on it period SUCKS

dude had 3 seasons of 1000 yards rushing and they were years 2-4, he finished his career with 10 straight seasons of under 900 yards

Meh, maybe. Allen's long haul stats aren't far from LT's. Allen's best season compares to LT's best except for TD's, which aren't always a product of the running game. It's not outrageous.

Bingo! But idiot Ed said he didn't see it so it didn't happen.

No. I said I didn't see him play, so he's not on my list.

stop trying to be newbie

Not sure you understand the definition of opinion?

o·pin·ion
əˈpinyən/
noun
  1. a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

The difference between Emmitt and Barry can be summed up in one performance. Regular season finale, 1993. If ES doesn't put his team on his back while severely injured with a huge game and an overtime win, the Cowboys go on the road in the WC instead of having HFA throughout and no way they win the SB that year. Barry Sanders could never do what he did that day when the Cowboy Offense had nothing in the elements.

The difference between Emmitt and Barry can be summed up in one performance. Regular season finale, 1993. If ES doesn't put his team on his back while severely injured with a huge game and an overtime win, the Cowboys go on the road in the WC instead of having HFA throughout and no way they win the SB that year. Barry Sanders could never do what he did that day when the Cowboy Offense had nothing in the elements.

Nice to see you again RP

• Like 1

No. I said I didn't see him play, so he's not on my list.

To clarify, you didn't see him, so in your opinion, he could not be one of the top 10 NFL running backs of all time?

Just change the title to the top ten all-time nfl running backs you have seen.

And please don't start a thread titled: The top US presidents of all time.

To clarify, you didn't see him, so in your opinion, he could not be one of the top 10 NFL running backs of all time?

Just change the title to the top ten all-time nfl running backs you have seen.

And please don't start a thread titled: The top US presidents of all time.

No need to see a movie right? just read the script :wacko: