Sign in to follow this  
TD Ryan2

NFL TV Ratings Down Sharply

NFL’s falling ratings, attendance stagger to season’s end

December 23, 2017

“[T]he average TV audience through last Monday night dipped to 8.4 percent below last year – worse than a 7.9 percent deficit one week earlier,” the New York Post reported. “The NFL is now averaging 15.3 million viewers per game this season – down from 16.7 million last season, according to Nielsen. That means the total audience watching all NFL games is down 120 million from last season.”

“[T]he NFL continues to lag behind other American sports in terms of its public image,” WND informed. “For the third straight month, polling data showed the NFL has the highest unfavorable rating of any major sport in the United States.”

http://www.gopusa.com/nfls-falling-ratings-attendance-stagger-to-seasons-end/

I blame the erection

No game flexed to Sunday night game for NBC, guess it makes sense considering it's New Year's Eve.

No game flexed to Sunday night game for NBC, guess it makes sense considering it's New Year's Eve.

Did it so all the meaningful games are playing same time.

Redzone will be epic.

Viewership for NFL broadcasts during the regular season dipped once again in 2017 --- and by a larger percentage than last year.

The average audience across the NFL's broadcast partners --- CBS, Fox, NBC, ESPN and NFL Network --- dropped 10%, according to data provided to USA TODAY Sports. While 33 of the top 50 TV programs since Week 1 in September were NFL games, this season's decline follows an 8% decline in 2016.

NFL broadcasts had an average minute audience of 14.9 million compared to 16.5 million in 2016.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2018/01/03/2017-nfl-tv-viewership-down-again/1001084001/

Viewership for NFL broadcasts during the regular season dipped once again in 2017 --- and by a larger percentage than last year.

The average audience across the NFL's broadcast partners --- CBS, Fox, NBC, ESPN and NFL Network --- dropped 10%, according to data provided to USA TODAY Sports. While 33 of the top 50 TV programs since Week 1 in September were NFL games, this season's decline follows an 8% decline in 2016.

NFL broadcasts had an average minute audience of 14.9 million compared to 16.5 million in 2016.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2018/01/03/2017-nfl-tv-viewership-down-again/1001084001/

I wonder if this is fixable. So many ways to "watch" the NFL now. With the red zone channel, fantasy players don't need to tune in outside of their local broadcast. I have never really dug watching the other games all that much, might turn them on etc...but mostly cause of a fantasy implication...

What fixes it? Legalized gambling? That may help TV revenues, but probably not game attendance.

Goddell was just given a heavy incentive laden contract to figure out a way.

I watched 70% of Patriots game via HD antenna, this year.

I wonder if this is fixable. So many ways to "watch" the NFL now. With the red zone channel, fantasy players don't need to tune in outside of their local broadcast. I have never really dug watching the other games all that much, might turn them on etc...but mostly cause of a fantasy implication...

What fixes it? Legalized gambling? That may help TV revenues, but probably not game attendance.

Goddell was just given a heavy incentive laden contract to figure out a way.

There were many ways to watch the NFL way before the players decided to get on their soap box and preach to the rest of us. Like we need to hear from illiterate thugs in pads and helmets

cue up a Pats scandal!

they hate their coach

spygate

deflategate

Brady / Belichick Bomb Cyclone!

It'll be a ratings bonanza! Everyone will be talking, clicking, and watching... it works EVERY year!

There were many ways to watch the NFL way before the players decided to get on their soap box and preach to the rest of us. Like we need to hear from illiterate thugs in pads and helmets

Ok Big fella. Whatever you say. Your opinion is noted.

Ok Big fella. Whatever you say. Your opinion is noted.

The first part is fact. Second part is excellent opinion.

The first part is fact. Second part is excellent opinion.

I didn't argue. You're always right. You tell us all the time.

I find it is easier to just nod my head and say "Yes HT" whenever you post. Then move on

I didn't argue. You're always right. You tell us all the time.

I find it is easier to just nod my head and say "Yes HT" whenever you post. Then move on

Good move.

Just like ESPN......fix it by getting back to basics (hard hitting, low penalties called) and out of politics.

Good start and I agree.....Politics is the third rail right now for almost everybody.

Limited Thursday night games

No London games

Limited use of replay, 30 seconds to overturn a call.

Tell the refs to stop with the ticky tak calls

STFU

I just fixed the NFL

Expand.....I do think replay is getting absurd. Go back to coach challenges only?

Expand.....I do think replay is getting absurd. Go back to coach challenges only?

edrj already fixed this.

no super slo motion replay review... if you need to see it again, watch it in full speed and make a judgement call... don't frame by frame to see if the ball moved a nano-inch.

30 seconds. That's it. I don't care what they do with the 30 seconds, after 30, a buzzer goes off and they say play stands or overturned. It's more than enough time to overturn an egregious call. The league will move on if super slow mo shows they got it wrong. People still argue the immaculate reception and the music city miracle and the tuck rule and somehow the game survived.

Limited Thursday night games

No London games

Tell the refs to stop with the ticky tak calls

STFU

I just fixed the NFL

I couldnt help but notice that forcing players to stand for the anthem was not in your list.

Yes. It seems like 90% of the time the call is upheld on the field and when its not, half the time the refs get it wrong anyway. The end result is a longer game with more timeouts that halt momentum and make it less fun to watch. I agree with all of HTs suggestions and think the league should figure out what a catch is too.

From last Sunday's Boston Globe

. . . Looks like all that coverage about an NFL boycott and sagging TV ratings was just a bunch of hot air. Per NBC, the NFL finished the fall 2017 season as the Nos. 1, 2 and 4 rated TV shows in prime time. Sunday Night Football led the way with 18.2 million viewers every week, Thursday Night Football on CBS was second at 14.1 million, and TNF on NBC was fourth at 14.036 million. Yes, the numbers are declining, but thats because overall TV viewership is declining, as people find other ways to consume entertainment. The NFL is still king . . .

• Like 1

Why are libs so invested in the notion that ratings are not down in part because of the SJW kneeling controversy? Many people are saying they don't watch anymore. Ratings are down. Why wouldn't there be a connection? Especially considering that the largest demographic that has watched and does watch the NFL are white males, who, tend to be more patriotic than the rest of the population. I thought the left was the party of science? I guess we will see next year at what rate season tickets are renewed. That will say a lot.

Why are libs so invested in the notion that ratings are not down in part because of the SJW kneeling controversy? Many people are saying they don't watch anymore. Ratings are down. Why wouldn't there be a connection? Especially considering that the largest demographic that has watched and does watch the NFL are white males, who, tend to be more patriotic than the rest of the population. I thought the left was the party of science? I guess we will see next year at what rate season tickets are renewed. That will say a lot.

For the same reason that conservatives are so invested in the notion that the kneeling crap is the primary reason for said ratings decline.

Because both sides are partisan hacks that live in an echo chamber and have to fit everything into their ideology somehow.

The reality is that millions of people have stopped watching or watch less for a wide variety of reasons, from quality of the product, to the kneeling, to the cord cutting trend in general.

You would have to agree that stopping the kneeling is the easiest thing to fix as far as NFL woes are concerned? At least the quickest fix.

You would have to agree that stopping the kneeling is the easiest thing to fix as far as NFL woes are concerned? At least the quickest fix.

Not really no.

What are they supposed to do?

Order the players to stand or fine them or some such? Then you're gonna have the media and snowflakes throwing a fit, not to mention the players acting out.

Stop doing the national anthem altogether? That's just gonna piss the conservatives off worse.

Quite frankly, fock em. They deserve this after all those years of charging the military a fortune to use them as a prop in their bullsh!t.

Not really no.

What are they supposed to do?

Order the players to stand or fine them or some such? Then you're gonna have the media and snowflakes throwing a fit, not to mention the players acting out.

Stop doing the national anthem altogether? That's just gonna piss the conservatives off worse.

Quite frankly, fock em. They deserve this after all those years of charging the military a fortune to use them as a prop in their bullsh!t.

Well, I'm thinking there's a labor/management mutual benefit, and perhaps the owners and the union can impress upon the players that they are cutting their own throats. Players don't have any equity in the league. They make what they can while they can. Someone needs to explain that to these collegeboys.

Well, I'm thinking there's a labor/management mutual benefit, and perhaps the owners and the union can impress upon the players that they are cutting their own throats. Players don't have any equity in the league. They make what they can while they can. Someone needs to explain that to these collegeboys.

Oh I agree with you there. And it should have been in the rules long ago, and should have been dealt with when it first happened. Now its a thing. Hard to put the genie back in the bottle, as they say.

Every person I have talked to who has quit watching the NFL this year said they did so because of the protests. 100%. Every person I have talked to who are watching much less football said they did so for a variety of reasons, most have been mentioned here, but not because of the protests. 100%.

And between the two you have your ratings drop. The people that quit due to protests are not coming back. The others would increase their viewing if changes are made to improve the game.

Every person I have talked to who has quit watching the NFL this year said they did so because of the protests. 100%. Every person I have talked to who are watching much less football said they did so for a variety of reasons, most have been mentioned here, but not because of the protests. 100%.

And between the two you have your ratings drop. The people that quit due to protests are not coming back. The others would increase their viewing if changes are made to improve the game.

how many men at your old age home?

how many men at your old age home?

BBs dad is in his late 60s. He lied about being old to claim hes a Vietnam vet.

HTH

BBs dad is in his late 60s. He lied about being old to claim hes a Vietnam vet.

HTH

please don't ruin our fun with BB old jokes.

I had to read that twice to see your point... and glad I did because it's a good one.

For the people that are bothered by the kneeleing (whether it's a large or small group) they are bothered enough to just focking stop watching. It's that much of a deal breaker for them.

And for those that don't care much about the politics/kneeling/social agendas... the NFL product simply isn't as good anymore... these are the people that don't want to be bothered with peripheral bullsh!t, but the entire product with endless commercials, tedious reviews, ticky-tack calls, etc. has become inundated with peripheral bullsh!t.

put 'em together, ratings are down.

The only folks I know that care about the protests are cops, nobody else gives a sh!t about the protests, people need to quit pushing this narrative.

• Like 1

Yes, the numbers are declining, but thats because overall TV viewership is declining, as people find other ways to consume entertainment. The NFL is still king . . .

This appears to be the case - but this fact doesn't fit an agenda, so you're not hearing about it from certain groups.

Through week seven, the NFL is down 5% overall from the same point last year. That's a troubling drop for the biggest ratings powerhouse on TV, but it seems less dire when you consider that the four major networks are down an average 8% in prime time.

The only folks I know that care about the protests are cops, nobody else gives a sh!t about the protests, people need to quit pushing this narrative.

Well I can't say "you must be new here" but I can say "I don't think you've been paying attenton to this place."

Everyone I know who stopped watching the NFL did it cause of the protests - everyone! And I stopped watching too! Okay, I didnt entirely stop watching - I catch a quarter here and there. Sometimes a full game, but ONLY if it involves my team... or if its a marquee match up on MNF / SNF ... or if it has fantasy implications. But I will tell you this much: I enjoy it a whole lot less than I used to!

:mad: