Sign in to follow this  
justforbeer

Le’Veon Bell - The hold out continues!

If he doesnt stick to his guns hes a fool for wasting the money.

I'd agree with that. If he gets traded for the same money and then plays, there's a lot of foolishness in that. But man...I've done foolish things in my life out of spite. Quit a job over pay when a jacka$$ boss wouldn't pay me what I thought I was worth, and then took another job for the same money :) That sort of thing. Which, when you think about it, is exactly Bell's position. Just a loooooot less money. It's foolish to 'cut off your nose to spite your face', but people do it all the time. We even sometimes see it as 'winning', because we 'beat' the other guy, even if we didn't get what we wanted in the end. People are funny :)

I'd agree with that. If he gets traded for the same money and then plays, there's a lot of foolishness in that. But man...I've done foolish things in my life out of spite. Quit a job over pay when a jacka$$ boss wouldn't pay me what I thought I was worth, and then took another job for the same money :) That sort of thing. Which, when you think about it, is exactly Bell's position. Just a loooooot less money. It's foolish to 'cut off your nose to spite your face', but people do it all the time. We even sometimes see it as 'winning', because we 'beat' the other guy, even if we didn't get what we wanted in the end. People are funny :)

Reminds me of the mentality of the sunk cost fallacy. Like you buy something expensive that sucks but feel forced to use it because you spent the money on it. In reality the money was gone the second you spent it, you don’t get any value from using it just because it was expensive.

Reminds me of the mentality of the sunk cost fallacy. Like you buy something expensive that sucks but feel forced to use it because you spent the money on it. In reality the money was gone the second you spent it, you don’t get any value from using it just because it was expensive.

Yup. I think the 'ebay fallacy' is at work as well--"I've already missed three game paychecks, that fourth one isn't as bad now", when it's the same amount of money. "I know I said I'd only bid to $100, but really...what's $105 when I'm already at $100?"

That said--I'm the kid back in high school who would do something I knew would result in detention just to prove a point. So part of me would understand the motivation and the feeling of it if Bell got traded and then played right away.

Okay,

so week 2 Conner was just okay. Mostly becuase KC was blowing it up.

If the Steelers can hold down the Fitzmagic, Conner should have a monster game here on Monday night.

Looking forward to it!!

You gotta think L. Bell would be really annoyed if Conner blows it up on MNF and all the talk is how bell is a no show. Will make Bell look bad too.

Okay,

so week 2 Conner was just okay. Mostly becuase KC was blowing it up.

If the Steelers can hold down the Fitzmagic, Conner should have a monster game here on Monday night.

Looking forward to it!!

You gotta think L. Bell would be really annoyed if Conner blows it up on MNF and all the talk is how bell is a no show. Will make Bell look bad too.

Problem here is, we are talking about the Pitt defense. Eewww....

Problem here is, we are talking about the Pitt defense. Eewww....

I'm shooting for weekly high score tonight. I have AB, DJax, and Connor to play. I feel pretty good about all three. (I'll get the H2H win unless Lavonte David outscores those three by 12 points :)

Steelers by 2 TD...book it. Getting Haden and potentially Burns back in the secondary may help. I think DC Keith Butler is on the hotseat if his defense doesn't show better tonight. I don't think they can look any worse than they did against the Chiefs. :dunno:

Steelers by 2 TD...book it. Getting Haden and potentially Burns back in the secondary may help. I think DC Keith Butler is on the hotseat if his defense doesn't show better tonight. I don't think they can look any worse than they did against the Chiefs. :dunno:

Minnesota by 2TDs against a terrible Bills team. Book it. ☺

Minnesota by 2TDs against a terrible Bills team. Book it. ☺

2? Try 4, that’s the worst team maybe ever and the Vikings are so good, do you even watch football? They are 17 point favorites, that means they are a sure thing. If Murray is anything less than the top scoring RB this week I’ll eat my hat.

I do think the Steelers win tonite, they basically have to.

No team is allowed to work out a long term contract in 2018 with Bell.

Not necessarily. Any team acquiring Bell in a trade will pay the steelers whatever is agreed upon and then the steelers will rescind the franchise tag thereby allowing said team to sign Bell to a long term deal.

Such would be required for any team talking to the steelers about a potential trade, as no team is going to give up much for a player they can't sign long term.

It's a lot of moving pieces on the board, but completely doable for a team interested in Bell.

Not necessarily. Any team acquiring Bell in a trade will pay the steelers whatever is agreed upon and then the steelers will rescind the franchise tag thereby allowing said team to sign Bell to a long term deal.

Such would be required for any team talking to the steelers about a potential trade, as no team is going to give up much for a player they can't sign long term.

It's a lot of moving pieces on the board, but completely doable for a team interested in Bell.

Interesting, you sure about that recind and sign long term thing? I havent heard anyone mention that as a possibility.

Interesting, you sure about that recind and sign long term thing? I havent heard anyone mention that as a possibility.

Yes. there is nothing in the cba preventing the steelers from rescinding the tag.

If a team comes along willing to meet their price the steelers can and will rescind the tag and make it happen.

I'm pretty certain they can't trade a player that is NOT under contract, he would have to sign the Franchise tender first. Now what I did hear is that even if he signs his contract, the team trading for him could pay him MORE than the 14.5 million franchise but can't tack on any years. So they could pay him 20 million for 1 year (pro-rated) but I still doubt that gets him on the field.

Pit with 33 rushing yards last week.

Pit with 30 rushing yards this week.

And everyone here is so biased that they keep saying there isnt no drop off at RB. Hahaha. But yes, Conner was great in game 1.

And everyone here is so biased that they keep saying there isnt no drop off at RB. Hahaha. But yes, Conner was great in game 1.

Pittsburgh had 3 backup offensive linemen at points last week and this week. Conner isn't Bell, but that line is a shell of itself right now.

So news is that the Steelers are open to trade offers, with the Jets being rumored to have come knocking. Tell me, how does that do anything for Bell?

The Steelers won't release him, and to trade him he has to sign the franchise contract because NOTHING else can be negotiated. To do a sign and trade would require a HUGE leap of faith by another team because even they CANNOT negotiate with him during the season. He would be the highest paid of rentals AND appears to be vastly out of shape compared to the previous two seasons. And there would be zero guarantee that whatever team he signed for could resign him to a longer contract next season because he would be free to negotiate with other teams.

There's one logical end to this. He sits out the season and the Steelers let him walk for a 3rd round compensatory pick.

2016 Bell's 1st three games were 144 yds, 66 yds, 53 yds. So yeah. A mild bit of dropoff, down from 66 to 33. No TDs for Bell those three games though.

Conner had 15 carries for 61 yards last night...

Connor this year and Bell in 2016, first three weeks of play (after Bell's suspension), rushing yards:

C-135, B-144

C-17, B-66

C-61, B-53

So that is a 'dropoff' of 50 yards across 3 games. A 'dropoff' of 16.666 yards per game. Cbfalcon was right about that.

Connor also has 3 TDs rushing across those games, Bell 0. Bell had 177 yards receiving those three games, 0 TDs, Connor has 139 and 0. So 38 yards there, another 10 per game.

So the difference across three games is Bell +88 yards, Connor +3 TDs. Eh. I don't think missing Bell is why they are 1-1-1.

• Like 1

When do you expect the line to be back to full strength ?

Marcus Gilbert (hamstring) had limited practice saturday but wasn't cleared last night. David DeCastro has a broken hand and actually wants to play but hasn't been given the go ahead yet either. Guessing a week or two on both. Not sure if their two replacements, B.J. Finney and Matt Feiler, got gassed or what, but I'm pretty sure I saw Okarafor in there as well. That's about as deep as they can go on the o-line.

Connor looks like JAG.

He's passable, but he's no Le'Veon. I'm much more partial to Jaylen Samuels, who's skill set is much closer to Bell's, but is still very raw.

He's passable, but he's no Le'Veon. I'm much more partial to Jaylen Samuels, who's skill set is much closer to Bell's, but is still very raw.

I'm just partial to the guy I have on my team who looks like he's going to be the #1 for the foreseeable future :)

Connor looks like JAG.

He is. I traded him for Mixon. By the end of the year they may have similar per game averages, but I know Mixon at least has some serious high end ability.

Whether Connor is a Jag in real football remains to be seen, but in fantasy he is ranked in the top ten every week because he's been the opposite of a JAG

Whether Connor is a Jag in real football remains to be seen, but in fantasy he is ranked in the top ten every week because he's been the opposite of a JAG

Good take.

There are JAGs who can end up high scoring FF guys. Tends to be unusual, typically real talent is what gets FF points. But Crowell is RB8 in my keeper league, and Crowell is a JAG in real life. The other top 10 are Gurley Kamara Gordon Connor Barkley Peterson Hyde McCaff Elliot. Pretty good group of players, all things considered. Is 3 weeks enough to know about Connor?

Tampa is #3 against the run (partly because they are so putrid against the pass) and the Steelers were playing without 2 starting offensive linemen. Connor is somewhere between week 1 and week 3 as a runner, but being only 3 starts into his career, maybe a bit early to label him...don't you think?

Tampa is #3 against the run (partly because they are so putrid against the pass) and the Steelers were playing without 2 starting offensive linemen. Connor is somewhere between week 1 and week 3 as a runner, but being only 3 starts into his career, maybe a bit early to label him...don't you think?

Wheres the fun in that!?

I don't think so. He is above average so JAG is a little extreme. He doesn't seem a whole lot more than a guy just getting carries though. I don't see anything special. It's fine for fantasy because he is on a high powered offense. Better than having 17 guys in the box on every run.

I traded him away after week 3. I may regret it. I just didn't want the worry that Bell may come back since the Bell owner did not want to give him up for cheap. I got Mixon in return who is a far superior runner who is also on a good offense. I just need to hope he comes back fine from this knee procedure, which he is supposed to.

• Like 1

That is false. The CBA does not work like that and there are serious repercussions with trying to go around it. The only way the Steelers can rescind the tag is to make Bell a free agent.

I stand by my statement that Bell cannot sign a long term deal in 2018. Find me a link or a source that says otherwise please.

That is false. The CBA does not work like that and there are serious repercussions with trying to go around it. The only way the Steelers can rescind the tag is to make Bell a free agent.

I stand by my statement that Bell cannot sign a long term deal in 2018. Find me a link or a source that says otherwise please.

I claim to know nothing about this but here is an explanation for the heck of it. It seems you are correct.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-take-how-a-potential-leveon-bell-trade-might-work-and-why-it-would-be-so-difficult/amp/

A lot of talk about James Connor.

Let's talk about Lev Bell. Man this cat is spending a lot of time at da club. TMZ had him out last night saying he'd play for the Jets for 100M. He's been posting on the gram at da scrip clubs. This dude is in no way ready to go out and play right now.

If a team trades for him on season they will have to give him several weeks to he in game shape and he will be a huge injury risk.

I don't think so. He is above average so JAG is a little extreme. He doesn't seem a whole lot more than a guy just getting carries though. I don't see anything special. It's fine for fantasy because he is on a high powered offense. Better than having 17 guys in the box on every run.

I traded him away after week 3. I may regret it. I just didn't want the worry that Bell may come back since the Bell owner did not want to give him up for cheap. I got Mixon in return who is a far superior runner who is also on a good offense. I just need to hope he comes back fine from this knee procedure, which he is supposed to.

I'd rather have Mixon as well, even being a Steelers fan.