Sign in to follow this  
Bills04

G-Men: P-L-E-A-S-E don't pull a "Browns"-type move ..

Given the average shelf life of NFL Rbs - I'm not sure I buy into this yet... Will we see RBs taken in the 1st? Sure, of course.. But 1st, 2nd or 3rd overall? I'm skeptical.

Not until somebody becomes the exception and actually pulls it off with a SB win.

Zeke, fournette, and barkley. Thats three in a row in the top five.

I happen to think its dumb myself. If you are picking top five, theres a pretty good chance you suck at more important positions. Not to mention the cap problems when your young back is ready to get paid.

the thing about RB is that this game is cyclical. i've been pretty vocal about the unsustainability of the star RB eating up cap space, but since the draft i've really started playing with the idea that with so many colleges featuring spread and other pass heavy offenses, the WR talent pool is going to be very, very deep for the foreseeable future. if commodity supply is large and demand is fixed, that means a reduction of value--both in the draft and in terms of cap dollars.

so what if we replace top-end WRs with top-end RBs and interior OL?

is this simmable? like, does madden have a cap management mode where you could do like 10K runs of different cap/roster structures?

Zeke - Runs hard and pops up wanting more

Emmitt Smith - No special talent, holes u could drive a semi through

Tony Dorsett - Had to find his own holes

You are so wrong.

Knew I would bust your bubble, but I value my opinion more, surprise. Please don't pull stats from just a basic Running Back from the time period with every advantage designed for him.

Knew I would bust your bubble, but I value my opinion more, surprise. Please don't pull stats from just a basic Running Back from the time period with every advantage designed for him.

I watched him play, a lot. He was very elusive at the exact moments he needed to be. He got the most yards on every play possible. He had moves is what I'm saying from having watched him play. He had more moves than Terrell Davis or even Curtis Martin.

Thats silly, he had moves when he needed to. Yep your right , i found the only guy to ever watch Emmitt Smith. Just because he was your gateway to being a Cowboys fan, doesnt mean it is everyones, therefore we have to think your way.

I'm a NYG fan - but Emmitt was "the man." I think it was his fifth year in the league; Jones wouldn't pay him. So, Emmitt sat out / didn't play, as he didn't have a signed contract. DAL went 0-2 behind another RB on the roster. Back then, everyone had the same opinion: "A-N-Y RB would look great in DAL's system, with that O-line." Well, it turned out that wasn't the case. Jones paid Emmitt, and the triplets (Aikman, Irvin) cruised from then on.

Also: Emmitt closed out his career with Arizona. His first year there, he scored (at least) 9 rushing TDs. Different team, but still productive.

balance, vision, change of direction, catches out of the backfield, lots of touchdowns, super productive in important games, most yards ever, yea ho hum

why would anyone bother pulling stats instead of just laughing at such a low-effort trolling attempt?

i mean, at least put a little thought into it.

Perhaps its because I played in the days when I could start 2 RBs with a 3rd in flex and got near the production from people who didn't have the advantages of a hole to drive a semi through. Back in them days you didn't need to worry so much about backs being injured, and wasn't by committee. Call me troll all u want, its fantasy football, u go by your team to draft if u choose. I was okay with Marshall Faulk over Emmitt, in fact I knew that before I would go to a draft what people like you would do.

So did you draft E Smith in 1991, 1563 yards and 12 tds

How about 1992. 1713 yards and 18 tds.

How about 1993. 1486 yards and 9.

Those yards where just his rushing yards, I hope you drafted him in those seasons.

If not whom did you draft those three seasons? M

To be right about Marshall Faulk doesn't mean Emmitt Smith is wrong.

He benefitted greatly from that oline and has said as much. Doesn't mean he wasn't one of the best ever running backs to play the game.

My whole argument was Smith benefitted from a system designed for him and had no special talent. I knew going into the drafts basically how things were going to go. Emmittt was going to be first off the board and then you had some WRS that were special like Bruce, Rice, and Pickens, Carter. I loved being towards the back and getting a Faulk, Ricky Watters, Natrone Means, Barry Sanders, Edgerrin James, Jeromme Bettis, Curtis Martin, Terrell Davis.

Expect for J Rice I do t recall in any draft in that period of time any other wr being taken in the first round.

Always all Rbs expect for J Rice where taken in the firsts round.

Thanks.

There was a year where Pickens, Rice, and Issac Bruce were making diving catches downfield and scoring 2 TDs some games. Also you forget the early days when experts touted Ryan Leaf and rookies that would push some back. Also people remember the league leader in Tds like a Emmitt Smith but didn't show the combine stats of a Marshall Faulk. Granted PPR wasn't introduced yet, but receiving yards was. I could pass up on a Jerry Rice for a Chris Carter because of drop-offs and what I could land instead of earlier in the draft. Arguments against my point that Emmitt had no more tools in his arsenal then a Natrone Means is funny. 1 said Marshall Faulk had the benefit of a line. Well maybe having Issiac Bruce, Torrey Holt and Kurt Warner and being a rb that could catch and run the ball made him who he was. Somebody said Emmitt had catches out of the backfield, he was nothing special like the edge or Ricky Watters. Someone mention vision, change of direction, if u don't have vision how did u make it to the pros unless you just run over people, and he had semi holes to run through. If I chose to do the research I could find a guy like a Gary Brown, who had just as much talent, that ESPN didn't talk about in the day, and you would have no clue about, and I would call u a liar if u said you did. Just a basic johnnie on the spot was Emmitt in a Cowboys uniform and could care less if he scored a 100 tds in a year.

I would care if he scored 100tds in a season, I wouldn’t care if he was on my ff team.

Once again back in the J Rice days after him no WRs went in the first round.

And I agree that was before ppr leagues.

Rbs where drafted almost exclusively in first two or even three rounds.

Im talking Emmitt the player, not fantasy football, and it wasnt exclusive which is why i could molest the backs so much. Before that it was salary based, the secret when it first started was to round your team off and take .15 TEs to stay under the salary cap of 3 million. If you start stating incorrect garbage im going to stop answering you, you been foreworn. I explained it all out with Leaf and rookies and misconceptions.

You talked about going into drafts and no ppr back then.

Sounds like ff too me.

You can stop posting anytime you want.

Miss you.

Bye.

Well it is when u post what u look up about Emmitt and dont post a Faulks numbers , and dont understand the rules of fantasy football of the time. Rules changed, Eric Metcalf was my first situation i believe, the rules stated if he was on your team you got points for special teams and his position. Someone said thats double dipping, i didnt care if the rule changed, next year we will change it for everyone knows going into the draft the rules. Peton Manning throws a pass and it bounces off someone and he catches it and scores. I said sorry about your luck but it goes into the stats Manning to Manning for a TD, he gets 2 tds. I gave up on comminssioner with Kordell Stewart. He was listed as a RB and started as a QB every week. Guy started him as a back and had another guy as his QB. Whole league was crying foul but i was a by the book type of guy who copied the rules out for all. In fear of the fun i was having of losing the whole league i caved, and said Stewart needed to be played as a QB, I didn't feel right back then, and today I still don't.

M Faulk wasnt in the nfl in 91&92&93.

So he had no stats to post those seasons.

Go find some of his stats and post them, and lets take a look.

What say you?

Thanks for the reply.

Well your the stat guy, all i knew was they played at the same time period and was was happy with 150 yds combined with Faulk. Do you have anything of value, or you just going to keep up being the biggest idiot on Fantasy Football Today that nobody can understand why Mike puts up with ? Your 1 out of a 100 posts that have insight or substance ive addressed.

Ok I guess no stats then.

Thanks for the reply.

I thought this was a Giants thread?

Eli 18:1

I thought this was a Giants thread?

Eli 18:1

I'm thinking there is not much to say about a team with an over the hill QB, a lunatic WR, and an overall bad team who pins it's future hopes on a running back.

Gmen will be the NFC east division winners.

Dont forget a GM who thinks its 1992 with his draft strategy and roster management

I'm thinking there is not much to say about a team with an over the hill QB, a lunatic WR, and an overall bad team who pins it's future hopes on a running back.

Gmen will be the NFC east division winners.

Probably not, but I can see 8-8. They werent nearly as bad as their record last year.

Probably not, but I can see 8-8. They werent nearly as bad as their record last year.

Maybe, but I think it’s a two team race, Gmen plus the Eagles.

I don’t like the lack of playmakers on the Cowboys, and don’t trust the Redskins coaching staff.

Thanks for the reply.

Maybe, but I think its a two team race, Gmen plus the Eagles.

I dont like the lack of playmakers on the Cowboys, and dont trust the Redskins coaching staff.

Thanks for the reply.

I wouldnt be shocked but to me the division is Phillys to lose with the Cowboys and GMen neck and neck. The Skins are an annual clown show. But really any of those three would go 6-10 or 10-6 and I wouldnt be stunned. If Dallas doesnt make the postseason I think this is the year Garrett finally gets canned, unfortunately.

The 2011 super bowl champion Giants were ranked 25th in defense and last in rushing. Talk about a QB carrying a team to a championship. Has anyone put a team on their back like Eli Manning that year? 15 fourth quarter TD's that year, a record. Almost 5k yards passing. Clutch.

In 2008 the NY Football Giants led the league in rushing. Makes sense that the QB's numbers would be down. People that understand football at the professional level know this.

In 2008 the NY Football Giants led the league in rushing. Makes sense that the QB's numbers would be down. People that understand football at the professional level know this.

And they lost to philly in game one of the playoffs.

His whole personal career numbers suck. Not just that year.

In their 2007 regular season (2008 superbowl), Manning had 23 TDs and and 20 Ints. And a 56.1 completion %. Even with teams focusing on the run he sucked it up. Even when their rushing is bad he sucks it up.

Like I said, they need a completely talented whole team to make up for Manning. They should have moved on from him 4-5 years ago.

Tim Tebow would have won the superbowls for the giants in place of manning if he was playing on those teams.

And they lost to philly in game one of the playoffs.

His whole personal career numbers suck. Not just that year.

In their 2007 regular season (2008 superbowl), Manning had 23 TDs and and 20 Ints. And a 56.1 completion %. Even with teams focusing on the run he sucked it up. Even when their rushing is bad he sucks it up.

Like I said, they need a completely talented whole team to make up for Manning. They should have moved on from him 4-5 years ago.

Tim Tebow would have won the superbowls for the giants in place of manning if he was playing on those teams.

How about addressing your analysis of the 2011 Giants, the one where Eli carried them to a championship? Kinda off on that one, just making stuff up.

How about addressing your analysis of the 2011 Giants, the one where Eli carried them to a championship?

:lol:

you mean the 2011 giants, who couldn't do much of anything until their defense woke up and carried them? you remember--the defense that only gave up 14ppg in the playoffs, and miraculously held one of the best offenses in the history of the NFL to half its normal output? while eli only managed 21 points against the 2nd worst defense in the league.

to be fair, eli finally made a big throw in the super bowl with his eyes open, so there's some improvement.

:lol:

you mean the 2011 giants, who couldn't do much of anything until their defense woke up and carried them? you remember--the defense that only gave up 14ppg in the playoffs, and miraculously held one of the best offenses in the history of the NFL to half its normal output? while eli only managed 21 points against the 2nd worst defense in the league.

to be fair, eli finally made a big throw in the super bowl with his eyes open, so there's some improvement.

And don't forget rolling into Green Bay and lumping up a 15-1 team with Rodgers (MVP) at the helm. All he did was go 330 and 3 TD's. And then going on the road, again, and winning in OT after getting his ass kicked all day in the mud. Did I mention they were last in rushing and 25th in defense that year and still managed to win their division? Blowing out Dallas to clinch? He only went 346 and 3TD's in a win or go home scenario. Clutch.

And don't forget rolling into Green Bay and lumping up a 15-1 team with Rodgers (MVP) at the helm. And then going on the road, again, and winning in OT after getting his ass kicked all day in the mud. Did I mention they were last in rushing and 25th in defense that year and still managed to win their division? Blowing out Dallas to clinch? He only went 346 and 3TD's in a win or go home scenario. Clutch.

He threw only 1 TD, and that was for 2 yards, against SF in the playoffs. SF was a team that gave up 32 points the week before. Manning's decent outings were outliers in his career stats. Defense carried him overall when the giants did win. I can't believe you are boasting about a guy that had a 61% completion rate in 2011.

He threw only 1 TD, and that was for 2 yards, against SF in the playoffs. SF was a team that gave up 32 points the week before. Mannings decent outings were outliers in his career stats. Defense carried him overall when the giants did win. I can't believe you are boasting about a guy that had a 61% completion rate in 2011.

Yeah, like I pointed out above, the defense carried him in those do or die games when he was going 300 and 3. Oh yeah, he was losing in the fourth quarter twice in his super bowl victories. Length of field for TD's.

And don't forget rolling into Green Bay

yep--defense held the packers 15 points below their league-leading 35ppg, while eli managed to put up a solid outing against the only defense that was actually worse than the 31st-ranked patriots--the 32nd-ranked packers. eli threw for almost as much yardage vs the pack as josh freeman did.

but that one completion to manningham was great tho.