Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Browns trade Corey Coleman to Bills

Are they making room for Dez Bryant?

Per Adam Schefter...

Cleveland is trading former first-round pick WR Corey Coleman to the Buffalo Bills for a draft pick, per source.

Coleman was the player the Browns selected after trading the No. 2 overall pick to Philadelphia so the Eagles could draft Carson Wentz.

Maybe, or they might like Antonio Callaway. I don't know that bringing in a headcase like Dez to go with Gordon and a potential rookie QB is such a good idea. It is Cleveland though.

The funny thing about Coleman is that there were stories about how much he hated the cold. Writers said that he would hide in the tunnels before cold practices and was the first one to run off the field when they were over. Now he found a home in one of the only places colder than Cleveland.

It sound like he was given up for basically free. For a player that was the 15th overall pick and showed some promise on the field it is surprising he didn't command more interest in a trade.

I don't know the answer to that, but in my opinion, the Browns do not need that drama in their offense. It's one reason I don't like Beckham on a bad NY team. I want to see the Browns come back to competing at football, but man, not Bryant at this stage of their rebuild.

I don't know the answer to that, but in my opinion, the Browns do not need that drama in their offense.

If they don't need drama on their offense, they shouldn't have drafted Baker Mayfield who's a Drama Queen.

Clearly they trust Gordon and this probably puts to rest any idea that he is on the verge of being suspended or having issues staying clean.

Clearly they trust Gordon and this probably puts to rest any idea that he is on the verge of being suspended or having issues staying clean.

Good point.

So is this the consensus? I've been targeting Josh Gordon as my #1, JuJu Smith-Schuster as my #2, and Corey Davis as my #3. I've been really stressing this strategy...

We can all rest easy now right? I mean...can you imagine the Browns doing this if they had ANY concern? Even if they like their rookie...or even if they are bringing in Dez...those are still huge risks. Why would they deal away Coleman?

It would be so embarrassing at this point if he really did fail a test or something...it would look like they were trying to cover it up for Hard Knocks.

So at this point...what do you think? 90+ % chance hes been a good boy? I can take him #1 for that....and I can justify an increase in his price.

Remember how good that wr draft class was supposedly. If it wasn't for Michael Thomas there wouldn't be too much from any of these guys

Corey Coleman

Lequon Treadwell

Josh Doctson

Will Fuller

Sterling Sheppard

• Like 1

Remember how good that wr draft class was supposedly. If it wasn't for Michael Thomas there wouldn't be too much from any of these guys

Corey Coleman

Lequon Treadwell

Josh Doctson

Will Fuller

Sterling Sheppard

Great post.

If Coleman didn’t like the cold in Cleveland, just wait.

I don’t see a loser in this deal.

If Coleman does indeed show up.

I don't know the answer to that, but in my opinion, the Browns do not need that drama in their offense. It's one reason I don't like Beckham on a bad NY team. I want to see the Browns come back to competing at football, but man, not Bryant at this stage of their rebuild.

Odell was a stud last year (and every year without fail) before he got hurt and that offense is primed this season big time. All young skill position players and then Eli who has helped Odell to all of his huge seasons. It may not translate to wins for the Giants, but its should mean a lot of points.

Odell was a stud last year (and every year without fail) before he got hurt and that offense is primed this season big time. All young skill position players and then Eli who has helped Odell to all of his huge seasons. It may not translate to wins for the Giants, but its should mean a lot of points.

Last year he only had 25 receptions. But he does normally put up points. Manning on the other hand had 19 TDs with 13 interceptions last year. 26 and 16 the year before that. Not impressive from a QB. A rookie RB, a bad QB, a below average TE (needed 115 targets to get his 64 receptions), a terrible oline, and a talented primadonna at WR. I just don't trust this team.

Update from Adam Schefter...

Compensation update: Cleveland traded former first-round pick, WR Corey Coleman, to the Buffalo Bills for a seventh-round pick in 2020, per league source.

7th rounder in 2020? The Browns definitely wanted Coleman out.

Compensation update: Cleveland traded former first-round pick, WR Corey Coleman, to the Buffalo Bills for a seventh-round pick in 2020, per league source.

Not to mention that was probably the best offer they got for the former first round pick. Fun fact: No Browns #1 pick from 2012 to 2016 remains on their roster.

Wow. What an insult. I would imagine that they could get some more for him. They wanted to punish him.

I dont care what a guy does, the Browns hurt themselves by not getting more compensation just for spite. What a disfunctional bunch of clowns the Browns are

Wow. What an insult. I would imagine that they could get some more for him. They wanted to punish him.

I dont care what a guy does, the Browns hurt themselves by not getting more compensation just for spite. What a disfunctional bunch of clowns the Browns are

Spite? Why? And they shopped him around. Noone wanted him.

apparently, as the browns backed out of the negotiation room, they made an attempt to grab a disposable straw. the attempt was met with a harsh rebuke

Spite? Why? And they shopped him around. Noone wanted him.

I'm not buying that they couldn't get more than a 2020 7th rounder for him

I'm not buying that they couldn't get more than a 2020 7th rounder for him

Do you think they just wanted to send him to the Bills because he doesn't like Buffalo or something? So they turned down something like a 3rd round pick from someone because of....?

Maybe Marshawn Lynch will show him all the good Buffalo Wing joints and hell warm up to his new city.

Corey Coleman

Lequon Treadwell

Josh Doctson

Will Fuller

Sterling Sheppard

Man did I miss the boat on Treadwell. I pretty much nailed the other 5. (Although I didn't think Thomas would be this studly). Good, but not great.

But I pegged Treadwell to be special. Wow, what a whiff on that one.

hasn't even really gotten an opportunity to see whether he'd be good or not. (i guess there is a solid reason for that lack of opportunity)

Man did I miss the boat on Treadwell. I pretty much nailed the other 5. (Although I didn't think Thomas would be this studly). Good, but not great.

Word out here in Cleveland is they were going to cut him if no one wanted to trade. Injury-prone, bad hands, and a mercurial locker room presence are the most common reasons given.

someone posted that he would literally hide when it got really cold. that's really bad, if true

Word out here in Cleveland is they were going to cut him if no one wanted to trade. Injury-prone, bad hands, and a mercurial locker room presence are the most common reasons given.

Do you think they just wanted to send him to the Bills because he doesn't like Buffalo or something? So they turned down something like a 3rd round pick from someone because of....?

Yes. I think teams can be that stupid and petty. They are still employing Hugh Jackson. Why would I assume they aren't that dumb?

And this is the team that's rumored to be interested in Dez?

Something to remember is that when a team acquires a player they also acquire the contract, and there are considerations for both teams associated.

Available salary cap is an equally important asset in this era as draft picks.

Coleman is on a rookie deal, and while all rookie deals are favorable, he has the contract of the 15th pick in the first round of the 2016 draft.

So................a team that acquires Coleman is assuming his '18 salary, plus if they cut him this year, would also assume a Dead cap hit that includes a pro-rated portion of his original signing bonus. I think Cleveland would have had a cap hit of 3.5 million if they had cut him, Buffalo now assumes this obligation as far as I know. Beyond '18 there are considerations each year remaining on his contract.

A team has to like Coleman and have him fit into their overall cap space this year, plus fit how they project their cap budget going forward while considering all of the moving parts on their roster.

For instance the Browns now do not have a 3.5 million cap hit for cutting Coleman, money they can spend elsewhere, on Dez perhaps. The pick received is a small asset but the salary cap now and going forward saved by trading him was/is an asset too.

The Bills take an interesting flyer but there is more cost than the 7th round pick spent. There are also current and future salary cap obligations which means less money to spend on re-signing current players and future free agents.

When all is said and done, there can be many less suitors for a player in Coleman's situation than one would think. A team has to feel they like Coleman as a prospect, a fit in their system and locker room, fit within their cap for '18, as well as in future years with however they project their roster going forward, etc.

The value of player in the league is inextricably tied to their contract and how both the player and the contract fit into current and future roster plans of each interested team.

• Like 1

Never healthy and terrible at football. They were lucky to get a 7th round pick for him. They like Landry, Callaway, and Higgins who all look good in camp.

Something to remember is that when a team acquires a player they also acquire the contract, and there are considerations for both teams associated.

Available salary cap is an equally important asset in this era as draft picks.

Coleman is on a rookie deal, and while all rookie deals are favorable, he has the contract of the 15th pick in the first round of the 2016 draft.

So................a team that acquires Coleman is assuming his '18 salary, plus if they cut him this year, would also assume a Dead cap hit that includes a pro-rated portion of his original signing bonus. I think Cleveland would have had a cap hit of 3.5 million if they had cut him, Buffalo now assumes this obligation as far as I know. Beyond '18 there are considerations each year remaining on his contract.

A team has to like Coleman and have him fit into their overall cap space this year, plus fit how they project their cap budget going forward while considering all of the moving parts on their roster.

For instance the Browns now do not have a 3.5 million cap hit for cutting Coleman, money they can spend elsewhere, on Dez perhaps. The pick received is a small asset but the salary cap now and going forward saved by trading him was/is an asset too.

The Bills take an interesting flyer but there is more cost than the 7th round pick spent. There are also current and future salary cap obligations which means less money to spend on re-signing current players and future free agents.

When all is said and done, there can be many less suitors for a player in Coleman's situation than one would think. A team has to feel they like Coleman as a prospect, a fit in their system and locker room, fit within their cap for '18, as well as in future years with however they project their roster going forward, etc.

The value of player in the league is inextricably tied to their contract and how both the player and the contract fit into current and future roster plans of each interested team.

3.5 isn't much as far as a cap hit. I think Marcus Wheaton was taking up more than that for a year with the Bears. If his guaranteed money was closer to 10 mil, then yeah I get the pure salary dump. A 7th rounder in 2020, not 2019. That screams personal to me

3.5 isn't much as far as a cap hit. I think Marcus Wheaton was taking up more than that for a year with the Bears. If his guaranteed money was closer to 10 mil, then yeah I get the pure salary dump. A 7th rounder in 2020, not 2019. That screams personal to me

Marcus Wheaton Bears contract is hard to use in any example as it was outlandish by any standard and among other things should have gotten the GM fired last off-season.

I'm simply making the point there are considerations other than the obvious determining values and a pick is not the only measuring stick

For instance what would Colemans value be to Rams, Giants, Raiders?

ZERO, as none of those teams could fit his salary as things currently stand.

Aside from the teams that obviously couldn't fit him there are many others that still have business to be done this year that would take higher priority.

Even aside from any pick sent as part of a deal, would using the cap space to roster Coleman be of more value than locking up a stud currently on your team who could otherwise hit free agency next year?

Some players in the NFL carry a negative value due to "bad contracts".

And FWIW I'm not saying I disagree with the idea there could be some personal bias.......................Buffalo for a player who doesn't want to play in the cold. #niceburn!

The current GM wasn't the drafter though, probably tried to get as much benefit as he could for himself and the team going forward, and he still stuck it to the kid for the sake of his current coaching staff with the location. :clap:

I liked Coleman very much as a dynasty prospect coming out but its hard to measure heart /work ethic/injury susceptibility.

The physical upside-play making ability is there, but going to Buffalo adds another level of skepticism personally he will ever reach the potential I thought I saw.

I read somewhere that the CLE Org blamed Baylor for him not understanding the WR position. Maybe take a look in the mirror. You get multiple chances to meet and interview these kids. Art Briles is a piece of human and all, but no one forced you to take him at 16. You guys have one win in two years... How is anyone succeeding in that environment?

The spite cold Buffalo thing is pretty funny tho.

Regarding the cap. Cowboys could have easily fit him in and it would've filled a need.

Doctson looks like a man among boys when he actually plays and knows what route he's supposed to be running. Too bad he's always hurt and only runs fade routes.