Sign in to follow this  
sawilson

My son's new puppy

Looks like a chocolate lab to me. :mad:

Anywho, goodjob. I'm sure he'll like it. You ever house train a dog before? A clothes basket turned upside down at night works well.

Looks like a chocolate lab to me. :music_guitarred:

Anywho, goodjob. I'm sure he'll like it. You ever house train a dog before? A clothes basket turned upside down at night works well.

It actually is chocolate, and thank you. I think my son is going to love him so much.

And no, I haven't. Its going to be an interesting experience.

he looks mulatto...and a lil bit gangsta in that pic.

having a dog is great as long as you have a big yard where he can do his business and you can clean up every couple days or so....but i don't get these people without their own yard that walk around with a plastic bag waiting for something to drop out of their dog's ######. :music_guitarred:

he looks mulatto...and a lil bit gangsta in that pic.

having a dog is great as long as you have a big yard where he can do his business and you can clean up every couple days or so....but i don't get these people without their own yard that walk around with a plastic bag waiting for something to drop out of their dog's ######. :music_guitarred:

I do have a yard. And I also live about a block away from one of the biggest parks in tacoma.

:music_guitarred:

Are you that bored that you have to reply to everything with :ninja: or are you just trying to up your post counts?

Are you that bored that you have to reply to everything with :music_guitarred: or are you just trying to up your post counts?

Yes :ninja: and yes :music_guitarred:

Have you ever owned a lab?

No, but I read a lot about them and heard they are the easiest to to train, most loyal etc.

And you have to admit, he is damn cute right!

He is cute

Are you going to have his nuts chopped off? Cuz, ya know, that's a pretty cool thing for any male :dunno:

He is cute

Are you going to have his nuts chopped off? Cuz, ya know, that's a pretty cool thing for any male :dunno:

Yes, I am going to have him neutered.

If you need some tips on training a puppy and a free video call 1-800-MY-PUPPY

They are actually very helpful.

Thanks!!!

No, but I read a lot about them and heard they are the easiest to to train, most loyal etc.

And you have to admit, he is damn cute right!

I've owned a whole bunch of breeds in my life, including a lab. Yes, they are very loyal but easy to train? Depends what you are talking about. They are real easy to train to what they were bred for namely, hunting and retrieving. But as a "house" dog, one of the more difficult in my estimation. It's not that they are dumb or stubborn. It's just they have almost boundless energy which makes it hard for them to always do what they are supposed to do. You can not "wear out" a lab.

Isn't' he adorable!!!

Seriously. I want to get one sometime. I'm frustrated on a semi-daily basis being around labs used as guide dogs since they're not supposed to be pet except by their owners. Kinda cruel when they're that cute and they tend to have a sad look in their eyes.

Very sweet.

I have to agree on the loyalty, but disagree on the easiest to train. My dad had raised and bred labs for years, uses them as hunters. They are AWESOME when trained to hunt, point, etc. However, they are VERY hyper occasionally and training them to be a house=type of dog can be difficult. They are big and clumsy, but yes, loyal and generally sweet dogs.

My dad current has a male lab from the last litter they bred. He's not even a year old, is close to 100 pounds and is hyper like you wouldn't believe. Dogs are great, but you really have to be prepared for the puppy stage.

Be prepared for your yard to get torn to sh!t, and for stuff in your house to be chewed up, etc. Not to mention, their tails knock sh!t off of tables, etc.

Regardless, your son will love the little guy.

Very sweet.

I have to agree on the loyalty, but disagree on the easiest to train. My dad had raised and bred labs for years, uses them as hunters. They are AWESOME when trained to hunt, point, etc. However, they are VERY hyper occasionally and training them to be a house=type of dog can be difficult. They are big and clumsy, but yes, loyal and generally sweet dogs.

My dad current has a male lab from the last litter they bred. He's not even a year old, is close to 100 pounds and is hyper like you wouldn't believe. Dogs are great, but you really have to be prepared for the puppy stage.

Be prepared for your yard to get torn to sh!t, and for stuff in your house to be chewed up, etc. Not to mention, their tails knock sh!t off of tables, etc.

Regardless, your son will love the little guy.

Well, if you/your dad has any suggestions, I would love to hear them!

He is really cute like his mom. My daddy hates all animals so I never got a puppy growing up. I may have turned out different if I had a little dog. It teaches responsibility and love etc.

He is really cute like his mom. My daddy hates all animals so I never got a puppy growing up. I may have turned out different if I had a little dog. It teaches responsibility and love etc.

My son has been asking for one for a while. I kept telling him no because how could he expect to take care of a dog when he couldn't pick up after himself. After that he has been cleaning his room all the time, doing some of the dishes and sweeping the floors (this has been for a few months now). So I decided he has earned it.

Not to mention, I can't wait to see his face christmas morning. Now THAT will be priceless!

My son has been asking for one for a while. I kept telling him no because how could he expect to take care of a dog when he couldn't pick up after himself. After that he has been cleaning his room all the time, doing some of the dishes and sweeping the floors (this has been for a few months now). So I decided he has earned it.

Not to mention, I can't wait to see his face christmas morning. Now THAT will be priceless!

I can't wait for your reaction when he chews through your laptops power cable and knocks it off your coffee table with his tail.

the landlords reaction to a chewed up carpet and drywall will be pretty priceless too.

:popcorn:

I can't wait for your reaction when he chews through your laptops power cable and knocks it off your coffee table with his tail.

the landlords reaction to a chewed up carpet and drywall will be pretty priceless too.

:popcorn:

damn, you are so negative aren't you..... :cry:

damn, you are so negative aren't you..... :cry:

negative, realistic.... funny how those 2 are easily confused with eachother.

negative, realistic.... funny how those 2 are easily confused with eachother.

I know, you just don't like dogs.

Labs are loyal and good with kids. They are creatures of habit and they are pretty dumb. They require a TON of attention and exercise. Crate train him or you will be sorry. Since it is a male, you have to do the dog whisperer thing of making sure that he knows that he is not the alpha male of the house. Otherwise, you are going to be dealing with all sorts of issues.

I would also check with your vet and tell him that you want to play "Red Rocket" with the dog sometime.

Labs are loyal and good with kids. They are creatures of habit and they are pretty dumb. They require a TON of attention and exercise. Crate train him or you will be sorry. Since it is a male, you have to do the dog whisperer thing of making sure that he knows that he is not the alpha male of the house. Otherwise, you are going to be dealing with all sorts of issues.

I would also check with your vet and tell him that you want to play "Red Rocket" with the dog sometime.

Yes, I have heard this. And it will be good for both myself and my son.

What is "red rocket"?

Saw,

I have a ton of experience with dogs. Basset Hounds, Labs, Beagles, Goldens. Some advice:

1. Dog proof your house. If you have chords exposed, hide them. Make sure shoes are stowed away and anything else worth chewing.

2. Crate train your dog from the start. Yes, the bastage will cry it's brains out at first and that will eventually go away. Reward him for going to his crate and when he comes out and potties reward him.

3. Invest in chew toys during the puppy days.

4. Play some Styx on your stereo. Not only will it make you horny, it will provide a calming presence for your puppy.

5. Try different foods until you find one that will help him put together a solid turd rather than the runny stuff. For reals.

6. Give him a real faggy name. My dogs names: Bode and Johnny Utah. Just saying.

Lastly, prepare to exercise. If a Lab becomes bored, he will chew your carpet!

Saw,

I have a ton of experience with dogs. Basset Hounds, Labs, Beagles, Goldens. Some advice:

1. Dog proof your house. If you have chords exposed, hide them. Make sure shoes are stowed away and anything else worth chewing.

2. Crate train your dog from the start. Yes, the bastage will cry it's brains out at first and that will eventually go away. Reward him for going to his crate and when he comes out and potties reward him.

3. Invest in chew toys during the puppy days.

4. Play some Styx on your stereo. Not only will it make you horny, it will provide a calming presence for your puppy.

5. Try different foods until you find one that will help him put together a solid turd rather than the runny stuff. For reals.

6. Give him a real faggy name. My dogs names: Bode and Johnny Utah. Just saying.

Lastly, prepare to exercise. If a Lab becomes bored, he will chew your carpet!

Thank you for the suggestions. I need any I can get!