Sign in to follow this  
Vince44

When is the last time you went to church?

Be honest.

Would it kill you to take an hour on Sundays to worship the lord and savior?

Think about it.

Born and raised Catholic. I refuse to enter a Catholic Church except for weddings and funerals, until they throw each and every pedophile priest in jail. Fock them. :wave:

Christmas eve. Will go again on Easter. Twice a year whether I need it or not.

Yesterday. Seriously.

I go to churches all the time.... weddings, funerals, and commercial appraisal work.

I appraised a bank-owned church last week. A former Baptist church which had a baptismal pool behind the alter.... with a plastic window so the congregation gets an underwater view. Baptist freaks. Go Presbyterians! :pointstosky:

Week before last.

Why not yesterday ?

Why not yesterday ?

Worked late Saturday. Wife went early because we were going shopping for deck stuff and a gazebo. Christening the boy at the end of April so we have to make sure the envelope gets there.

Unfortunately my entire family is religious so i have to go occasionally ...but only maybe 5 times a year. Honestly I sit there and I think they are all certifiable.

The part that drives me crazy is I see my family post pictures of their kids at like Bible Camp or something droning on and on how much they love it. I'm like they don't love it. They had no choice.

And how much their kindergarten kids love being a Christian. No they don't. You didn't introduce them to any religion other than your own. They don't know anything different.

Unfortunately my entire family is religious so i have to go occasionally ...but only maybe 5 times a year. Honestly I sit there and I think they are all certifiable.

The part that drives me crazy is I see my family post pictures of their kids at like Bible Camp or something droning on and on how much they love it. I'm like they don't love it. They had no choice.

And how much their kindergarten kids love being a Christian. No they don't. You didn't introduce them to any religion other than your own. They don't know anything different.

My daughter goes to catholic pre school. Kid loves it. She comes home sometimes singing about Jesus. We will raise her catholic but not be real tight about it. We may end up sending them to catholic school though. Probably.

But I went to Mosque last Thursday. :bench:

My daughter goes to catholic pre school. Kid loves it. She comes home sometimes singing about Jesus. We will raise her catholic but not be real tight about it. We may end up sending them to catholic school though. Probably.

Can si.....nope cant do it. :)

Yeah we will take our kids occasionally just to expose them to it but hopefully we will do a good enough job teaching them just to be good people because they should be. Not out of fear or some great reward when they die in 75 years or some crazy crap like that.

I really try not to down religion because I know it helps a lot of people. But man for me personally it's really hard to sit through and not make comments.

Can si.....nope cant do it. :)

Yeah we will take our kids occasionally just to expose them to it but hopefully we will do a good enough job teaching them just to be good people because they should be. Not out of fear or some great reward when they die in 75 years or some crazy crap like that.

I really try not to down religion because I know it helps a lot of people. But man for me personally it's really hard to sit through and not make comments.

I went to catholic grammar school and my mom is a devout catholic. It wasn't that bad, and it had its benefits. Plus no Muslims or Hindus or any of those other ones. And there is no confusion about the bathrooms.

Yesterday

I don't believe in biblical inerrancy. In fact, I don't even own a bible. But I've been going to this church almost every Sunday for about 3 years now and my overall quality of life has increased in that time.

The people are positive, upbeat and very giving. The message is consistently simple, and non judgmental.

It's like a walk in the woods after riding the subway of life all week long.

It's nothing like the boring, holier than thou stuff I was exposed to as a kid.

• Like 2

Like to talk to god? When I stopped believing in the tooth fairy and Easter bunny. Probably 10.

Yesterday

I don't believe in biblical inerrancy. In fact, I don't even own a bible. But I've been going to this church almost every Sunday for about 3 years now and my overall quality of life has increased in that time.

The people are positive, upbeat and very giving. The message is consistently simple, and non judgmental.

I like this line.

• Like 2

Yesterday

Nice. It's been years since I went for anything other than a wedding or funeral. I was raised Catholic and my wife converted when we got married (she wasn't raised with a set religion). Had a good run for a while, raised all 3 kids through confirmation... but just lost the desire. Catholic mass can wear on you over time if you don't have an interesting priest.

Anyway, my wife and I are ~50 and beginning to see our mortality a little. I'd like to find a place like you describe above. My wife's aunt died 1.5 years ago and the people of the church were so... community.

And I agree with fandandy about the "walk in the woods" line. :cheers:

• Like 1

I haven't actually been to church in a while. My wife isn't too religious but I am. The problem is I'm picky about my churches. I really should start looking for one to go to

I haven't actually been to church in a while. My wife isn't too religious but I am. The problem is I'm picky about my churches. I really should start looking for one to go to

She was speaking in tongues the last time I was with her. :banana:

I go to church every night when I lay my head.

"Split a piece of wood, I am there. Lift a rock, and you will find me."

Confirmed Catholic, but don't think I have ever went by my own choice. Organized religion is bs.

She was speaking in tongues the last time I was with her. :banana:

Ha! Teach me your secrets

Yesterday

sounds like my church as well, I try to go every week, even though I still consider myself an athiest/agnostic. I just feel much better and happier during the weeks I attend church

I even meet for coffee with the assistant Pastor every week to talk the bible and baseball

sounds like my church as well, I try to go every week, even though I still consider myself an athiest/agnostic. I just feel much better and happier during the weeks I attend church

I even meet for coffee with the assistant Pastor every week to talk the bible and baseball

When my wife and I were in San Antonio we would occasionally go to her aunt and uncles church there. It was a church that had two places to watch. The main auditorium where most people sat and the other place that was a coffee shop area. The coffee shop area had a big projector screen, seats, tables with chairs, the coffee shop that could make you both hot and cold coffees (think Starbucks but with local ingredients), and a little area for things like shirts and stuff. It's a lot quieter in the coffee shop than the auditorium since they have the big speakers and play music all throughout there. Plus it's more laid back in the coffee shop so that's where we all sat. Nice church and had nice people. Her aunt works for them and gets to travel all over the world with them. She goes to Russia once a year in addition to places they decide to visit.

Christmas eve. Will go again on Easter. Twice a year whether I need it or not.

CAPE Catholics.

That's fine, just don't go taking up my pew.

And on St. Patty's day, don't stroll into Flynn's with your green shirt and sit in my bar stool either.

:D

Oh - and I made it to the 4pm last Saturday - that counts for Sunday Mass.

Jerry's post got me thinking about deciding to go to church, embrace religion, etc...
I agree wholeheartedly, regardless of denomination, the speaker/leader, etc is most critical - does that person connect/relate/inspire/make you think, etc?
I have posted this before...

I guess, for me, "religion" has become about finding inner peace - many cultures and religions have their own words and philosophies for the "inner peace" concept. To me, it's about appreciating and respecting the awe and beauty of the world around us - that includes nature, family, art, relationships, and everything in between, and in doing so, fully realizing that "you" are not the center of the universe.
Because that is, specifically, what I'm seeking - it's what I find it in religion. I'm still a bit uncomfortable saying things like, "finding holiness" or "walking with the Holy Spirit" or whatever religious jargon you want to assign to it all, but that's what it means to me. No bible thumping here - I'm just a regular guy trying to make sense of the crazy world we live in, trying to keep myself healthy and on the right path physically, mentally, and spiritually.
On the flip side, you can have people that are not seeking peace and calm - and they will use religion to further those ends. Religion is neither bad or good - it is what people choose to make of it for themselves. Religious institutions, are another discussion all together.
In the end, our world is becoming less and less civil and respectful - individuals are more self-centered than ever. When we wonder why the future generations are overweight, indifferent, disrespectful, , and self-centered, I can't help but think... you've removed Gym, Civics, and Religion from everyone's lives... this is what you get.

Discounting Funerals, Wedding and Baptism

I am guessing late 70s

Probably 27 years or so ago. I went to a youth group only. Not on Sundays, but one night during the week. Wednesday I think. It was so I could play basketball in a league with a few friends. Had to either attend Sundays or be in youth. I was in my teens. 16,15, somewhere in that range.