Sign in to follow this  
edjr

1 year ago today - The world lost one of it's greatest talents - RIP Prince

We get it. You loved, worshipped and wanked to him. But he's really not even in the top 20.

we'll believe you over people with a clue. :clap:

we'll believe you over people with a clue. :clap:

You mean like these guys?

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-greatest-guitarists-20111123/jimi-hendrix-20120705

THE VOTERS: Trey Anastasio, Dan Auerbach (The Black Keys), Brian Bell (Weezer), Ritchie Blackmore (Deep Purple), Carl Broemel (My Morning Jacket), James Burton, Jerry Cantrell (Alice in Chains), Gary Clark Jr., Billy Corgan, Steve Cropper, Dave Davies (The Kinks), Anthony DeCurtis (Contributing editor, Rolling Stone), Tom DeLonge (Blink-182), Rick Derringer, Luther Dickinson (North Mississippi Allstars), Elliot Easton (The Cars), Melissa Etheridge, Don Felder (The Eagles), David Fricke (Senior writer, Rolling Stone), Peter Guralnick (Author), Kirk Hammett (Metallica), Albert Hamm

the same rag that tried to make out the Tsarnaev brothers to be lovable? :lol:

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/jahars-world-20130717

careful whom you back.

After this, we should argue about what food tastes best.

Dumb.

we should argue who cooks it better

Yeah. The nerdist is a far more credible source when it comes to all things music.

Get a grip Appelonia.

They did say Weezer's album Pinkerton was a complete flop upon release and then a few years later voted it one of the best albums of the decade.

But yeah you are still right.

They did say Weezer's album Pinkerton was a complete flop upon release and then a few years later voted it one of the best albums of the decade.

But yeah you are still right.

I'm guessing that article wasn't written by a group of voters who are generally considered among the highest level experts in their chosen field.

Check out the list of voters. And if you're unfamiliar with more than 5 of them, you're automatically disqualified from this debate.

I'm guessing that article wasn't written by a group of voters who are generally considered among the highest level experts in their chosen field.

Check out the list of voters. And if you're unfamiliar with more than 5 of them, you're automatically disqualified from this debate.

I am agreeing with you, just pointing out that they are human too. :wave:

• Like 2

I'm going to disallow source shaming for the Prince debate. It's always just confirmation bias and "this person has someone I Dont like listed high so they don't count.".

Carry on.

I'm going to disallow source shaming for the Prince debate. It's always just confirmation bias and "this person has someone I Dont like listed high so they don't count.".

Carry on.

Bullsh!t. ed's list of greatest guitarists contains a guy who's never, ever played a guitar. That is the very definition of a sh!t source.

Jam Master Jay. ... Jam Master Jay (born January 21, 1965, Brooklyn, New York, USA – died October 30, 2002, Queens, New York, USA) was an American musician and DJ. At the age of 3 years he started playing trumpet and played bass, guitar, and drums in various bands prior to discovering turntables.

:music_guitarred:

Bullsh!t. ed's list of greatest guitarists contains a guy who's never, ever played a guitar. That is the very definition of a sh!t source.

That's nitpicking. You can pick apart anything by finding one part of it you don't like or doesn't make sense. His evidence clearly backs up a sentiment that Prince is held in high regard for his playing ability (a fact that is widely known.). No list is perfect, the goal in debate like this is to show precedent for making the argument of a persons stance. His stance being that Prince is regarded as a top guitar player in the industry. Just having him show up anywhere on multiple lists backs that claim up. It's not like it's outlandish.

And yet another group of expert guitarists pick the top 30. Prince nowhere to be found.

http://www.guitarworld.com/30-30-greatest-guitarists-picked-greatest-guitarists

And just for Newbie:

ERIC CLAPTON by Eddie Van Halen

Clapton was it. I knew every note he played. Mammothme, Alex Van Halen and a bass player we knewwere the junior Cream.

Being limited gear-wise forced me to find my own voice on the guitar. Thats why Eric Claptons live jams with Cream were such an influence on me. Back in 68, he was pretty much just using natural distortion on those live tracks on Wheels of Fire and Goodbye.

I had no money and couldnt afford a fuzz box or a wah-wah or a ring modulator, or whatever Hendrix had in his whole rig. I just plugged straight into an amp and turned it up to 11. So in order to get a different or unique sound, I had to learn to squeeze it out of the strings with just my fingers. I never had a guitar lesson in my life, except from listening to Eric Clapton records.

I think that wraps this discussion up nicely.

Thanks for playing.

That's nitpicking. You can pick apart anything by finding one part of it you don't like or doesn't make sense. His evidence clearly backs up a sentiment that Prince is held in high regard for his playing ability (a fact that is widely known.). No list is perfect, the goal in debate like this is to show precedent for making the argument of a persons stance. His stance being that Prince is regarded as a top guitar player in the industry. Just having him show up anywhere on multiple lists backs that claim up. It's not like it's outlandish.

No it's not. That list is complete and utter rubbish.

I'll concede the TIME mag opinion even though I don't agree.

And I never said he wasn't good. But he's far from the greatest. And among all the lists that are out there, he's not even a consensus top 10.

In the end, the only thing for sure is that Newbie made up a story about Prince and Eddie Van Halen. The rest is just opinion. Newbie lost this thread.

Prince was not the best, that's just people giving respect to him after he died. He was however highly underrated as a guitar and well respected by the few who knew the extent of his abilities.

It's entirely subjective where he ranks, its not no.1 but it's probably not outside the top 20 either.

Prince was not the best, that's just people giving respect to him after he died. He was however highly underrated as a guitar and well respected by the few who knew the extent of his abilities.

It's entirely subjective where he ranks, its not no.1 but it's probably not outside the top 20 either.

Not to mention he didn't ONLY play guitar. he did everything else too.

he's written songs for other people MANY, more than 20, that have made it to the top 100 on the charts

It's also some white people doing that thing where they exaggerate a black persons talent to seem cool.

It's also some white people doing that thing where they exaggerate a black persons talent to seem cool.

Lol

Not to mention he didn't ONLY play guitar. he did everything else too.

he's written songs for other people MANY, more than 20, that have made it to the top 100 on the charts

Yes as an overall performer and musical business talent he is way, way up the list. That's not debated by many, if any.

prince is black like you're not RP

:lol:

And yet another group of expert guitarists pick the top 30. Prince nowhere to be found.

http://www.guitarworld.com/30-30-greatest-guitarists-picked-greatest-guitarists

And just for Newbie:

ERIC CLAPTON by Eddie Van Halen

Clapton was it. I knew every note he played. Mammothme, Alex Van Halen and a bass player we knewwere the junior Cream.

Being limited gear-wise forced me to find my own voice on the guitar. Thats why Eric Claptons live jams with Cream were such an influence on me. Back in 68, he was pretty much just using natural distortion on those live tracks on Wheels of Fire and Goodbye.

I had no money and couldnt afford a fuzz box or a wah-wah or a ring modulator, or whatever Hendrix had in his whole rig. I just plugged straight into an amp and turned it up to 11. So in order to get a different or unique sound, I had to learn to squeeze it out of the strings with just my fingers. I never had a guitar lesson in my life, except from listening to Eric Clapton records.

I think that wraps this discussion up nicely.

Thanks for playing.

What is that supposed to show me? Did I say that Eddie didn't like Clapton?

And once again, you prove that you're a racist kvnt. No wonder you have dreams of deep throating Trump. Two peas in a pod.

What is that supposed to show me? Did I say that Eddie didn't like Clapton?

The entire article is about top guitarists picking the best guitar player.

Eddie's choice as the best is Clapton, not Prince as you you claimed earlier in the thread.

In the end, the only thing for sure is that Newbie made up a story about Prince and Eddie Van Halen. The rest is just opinion. Newbie lost this thread.

:sleep:

This whole "lost this thread" thing you do is really weird. Is that what you are here for? To "win" threads? Is that your goal?

At 47, I'm just now getting into Zepplin.. I've been watching a few documentaries on them - and I must say, I'm sort of fascinated.. I don't know anything about playing guitar - but wow, Jimmy Paige was insane back then.. Where do musicians put him on the all time list?

Pretty damn close to the top :thumbsup:

sorry Ed, but that list is completely bogus except for Prince being on it.

Kurt Cobain at #4? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dude had no chops at all

Johnny Ramone

:dunno:

:sleep:

This whole "lost this thread" thing you do is really weird. Is that what you are here for? To "win" threads? Is that your goal?

Hardcore has a baby and a toddler at home and still posts 100 times a day. This is his life. So yes, if he feels he 'won' a thread, it makes his whole day. I bet he calls his wife over to show her. "Look Four, look how badly I owned these fools today". He's a pathetic little old man.