Sign in to follow this  
SenatorRock

Anyone else listening to Joe Rogan podcast?

I searched and there are a handful of random podcasts threads and a Joe Rogan comedy special thread, figured we could use a dedicated Joe Rogan Experience thread.

Today was the first time I ever listened to the guy and it was very informative and entertaining. It was the interview with Alex Honnold, the dude who free solo climbed El Capitan at Yosemite earlier this year and made a movie about it. I am sure most are at least vaguely familiar with the dude. It is worth a listen:

(or just listen on your favorite podcast player)

The reason for starting this thread is to see if there are any recommended episodes to listen to. Rogan has over 1000 episodes and some of the people I have heard of some not. I'll probably just start randomly listening to ones that catch my eye but didn't want to miss any that are must listens.

What is your favorite Joe Rogan podcast?

I like him a bit, have listened to his show a few times, but we disagree on a few key points, so I haven't spent much time.

Last night actually. I had set things to do and thanks to raiders in the Gavin McInnis thread, I wound up in the land of Joe Rogan's podcasts for a while. In the past I've watched Elon Musk's interview, Leah Rehmini, and some other less well known people.

Alex Honnold was a classmate of mine in HS. (I vaguely remember him though which makes it less cool). Some of the people in his life make what he does more melodramatic. It's impressive no doubt, but it's apparent fast that there's nothing melodramatic about how he views or approaches things himself. The trailer for the film was goofy because of that. He's just such a plan talking, and thinking (though really smart) guy. His brain doesn't register fear at levels it will for an average person given a fear causing situation. http://nautil.us/issue/39/sport/the-strange-brain-of-the-worlds-greatest-solo-climber

• Like 1

I like him a bit, have listened to his show a few times, but we disagree on a few key points, so I haven't spent much time.

It seems like there's more value in listening to thoughts from people who diverge from your thinking, and especially if they're exchanging thoughts with people who think similar to you, or who are even more divergent from you than the host. As you compare and contrast, it either reinforces your own discretion, or introduces an insight that gives you another angle and possible refinement to your thoughts.

Joe Rogan doesn't really seem to be trying to unpack a worldview himself. His formula seems to just be "try to have interesting guests, let the conversation go wherever" like he is eternally curious. Apparently he gets some slack for seeming to change his political inclinations depending on the guest. I think he really tries to pay attention to people's thought processes, succeeds at understanding them, and then winds up empathizing because he just went all the way from A - Z in seeing why they think like they do.

It seems like there's more value in listening to thoughts from people who diverge from your thinking, and especially if they're exchanging thoughts with people who think similar to you, or who are even more divergent from you than the host. As you compare and contrast, it either reinforces your own discretion, or introduces an insight that gives you another angle and possible refinement to your thoughts.

Joe Rogan doesn't really seem to be trying to unpack a worldview himself. His formula seems to just be "try to have interesting guests, let the conversation go wherever" like he is eternally curious. Apparently he gets some slack for seeming to change his political inclinations depending on the guest. I think he really tries to pay attention to people's thought processes, succeeds at understanding them, and then winds up empathizing because he just went all the way from A - Z in seeing why they think like they do.

All good points, but if you know for a fact that water is wet and someone basically calls you an idiot for believing that, you're not going to give them much credit or interest.

macaulay culkin recent interview is great

I think new outlets paint him as some strung out wierdo and seems like Joe maybe had that impression. Come to find out he is a normal guy who wakes up and does whatever he wants like most people say they would do of they had money but never do

I actually think he is a pretty good interviewer although sometimes it's seems like he is trying a bit hard to be cerebellar

Yes, the Randall Carlson/Graham Hancock ones are fantastic. If you are at all interested in Earth sciences/history, they will blow your mind.

There are a couple with Neil Degrasse Tyson that are good. Also, one with Les Stroud (Survivorman) is great.

• Like 1

I have probably watched over 200 of his pods

hes pretty centered, probably the most centered host out there

my favorites are with Randall Carlson and Peter Schiff

nice Raiders..2nd for the Randall Carlson episodes

Joe Rogan w/ Jordan Peterson is a good one

Feck that meathead. Get with the Ace Man instead. :banana:

• Like 1

I searched and there are a handful of random podcasts threads and a Joe Rogan comedy special thread, figured we could use a dedicated Joe Rogan Experience thread.

Today was the first time I ever listened to the guy and it was very informative and entertaining. It was the interview with Alex Honnold, the dude who free solo climbed El Capitan at Yosemite earlier this year and made a movie about it. I am sure most are at least vaguely familiar with the dude. It is worth a listen:

(or just listen on your favorite podcast player)

The reason for starting this thread is to see if there are any recommended episodes to listen to. Rogan has over 1000 episodes and some of the people I have heard of some not. I'll probably just start randomly listening to ones that catch my eye but didn't want to miss any that are must listens.

What is your favorite Joe Rogan podcast?

Pat Miletich from mma. Funny smart guy

• Like 1

I used to be a bigger Joe Rogan fan. Obviously spending hours/years in front of a live camera will expose contradictions and ego. So maybe I cam too hard on him there. He does have a lot of good guests from all walks of life. Hard to name my favorites off the top of my head. James Hetfield was good. NDT is always good. Jesse the Body. The Nuge. Some of the best are ones I know nothing about the guest and is either very informative or one about their crazy feats. Watched one recently with a guy who swam around England and what he went through to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmwMMIm3mcY

• Like 1

Feck that meathead. Get with the Ace Man instead. :banana:

I listen to Adam, Joe, Crowder, Shapiro podcasts almost daily

I also listen to McInnes a lot, and some of the other guys like Claven, Roaming Millenial, Norm and others

On 12/13/2018 at 9:37 PM, Brad GLuckman said:

I listen occasionally. I have recommended it before but I really enjoyed the Bret Weinstein interviews.

21 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

^ @jerryskids’s hero

And?  I presume you have issues with some of these.  If so, please be specific, and by specific I mean state his specific concern and rebut it, not something like "LOL air conditioners."  TIA.

Also this is a timely bump; I sorely need some new pods to listen to.  Any recommendations by anyone are appreciated. :cheers: 

56 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

And?  I presume you have issues with some of these.  If so, please be specific, and by specific I mean state his specific concern and rebut it, not something like "LOL air conditioners."  TIA.

Also this is a timely bump; I sorely need some new pods to listen to.  Any recommendations by anyone are appreciated. :cheers: 

“Lol” alarm clocks, synthetic carpet, correcting child vision are probably the main ones that stick out to me.   I feel like if these things were actually dangerous we’d know by now.

If you are interested in medical news, I do enjoy the VPZD show.  (Zdogg and Vinay Prasad). They started out doing mostly Covid but have been branching out.  Prasad is interesting because a lot of the pro-vaxxers don’t seem to like him.  But he hasn’t done much more than call out myocarditis.    Didn’t listen to the whole thing so might’ve missed it but was a little disappointed In the most recent episode because they talked about Ladapo (and that most people they know who know him like him and think he’s smart), but I don’t think they talked about the “study” at all.  In the past they’ve done a good job pointing out flawed studies (they didn’t say it was good either, just didn’t really talk about it at all).

On 12/12/2018 at 10:29 PM, naomi said:

It seems like there's more value in listening to thoughts from people who diverge from your thinking

unless of course, hes already listened to thoughts from people who diverge that way many times before and its become a key point where he doesnt bother anymore.

if i had heard 9 different people in my life make the same points on why they love soccer, and i still dont like it, it doesnt make me closed minded if i ignore the 10th one.  it just has become a key point where ive made up my mind.

3 hours ago, TimHauck said:

“Lol” alarm clocks, synthetic carpet, correcting child vision are probably the main ones that stick out to me.   I feel like if these things were actually dangerous we’d know by now.

If you are interested in medical news, I do enjoy the VPZD show.  (Zdogg and Vinay Prasad). They started out doing mostly Covid but have been branching out.  Prasad is interesting because a lot of the pro-vaxxers don’t seem to like him.  But he hasn’t done much more than call out myocarditis.    Didn’t listen to the whole thing so might’ve missed it but was a little disappointed In the most recent episode because they talked about Ladapo (and that most people they know who know him like him and think he’s smart), but I don’t think they talked about the “study” at all.  In the past they’ve done a good job pointing out flawed studies (they didn’t say it was good either, just didn’t really talk about it at all).

Without knowing his positions, I could see the interruption of sleep cycles being of concern to an evolutionary biologist.  Regarding child vision, I've always raised an eyebrow at just providing glasses vs. training their eyes at a younger age (my son had a prism correction problem for instance, and in that case we did do exercises). 

Anyway, Lol on you tagging me with absolutely nothing.  I would appreciate your next response being either what I requested in my previous post, or an apology for questioning my intelligence.  :cheers: 

On pods, I'm not looking for Covid pods, you may not have heard that that's not much of a thing anymore, except when NIAID funded places create mutant strains.  But thanks for the suggestion. :) 

4 hours ago, jerryskids said:

Any recommendations by anyone are appreciated. :cheers: 

Matt Walsh is a helluva lot of fun. He's at the forefront of the trannie wars, using great humor to guide us through the ongoing insanity. Styxhexenhammer666 puts out like 4 10 minute videos a day and has some great insights.

16 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Without knowing his positions, I could see the interruption of sleep cycles being of concern to an evolutionary biologist.  Regarding child vision, I've always raised an eyebrow at just providing glasses vs. training their eyes at a younger age (my son had a prism correction problem for instance, and in that case we did do exercises). 

Anyway, Lol on you tagging me with absolutely nothing.  I would appreciate your next response being either what I requested in my previous post, or an apology for questioning my intelligence.  :cheers: 

On pods, I'm not looking for Covid pods, you may not have heard that that's not much of a thing anymore, except when NIAID funded places create mutant strains.  But thanks for the suggestion. :) 

Alluding that your hero is a weirdo is questioning your intelligence?  

And like I said, it’s not really a Covid pod.  But you don’t have to listen, it won’t hurt my feelings.

3 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

Bret Weinstein is a brilliant independent thinker with valuable insights. He might have a point on these topics that you failed to consider.

You should tune in, as he's of the left not the right by the way. Rogan unearths gems and Weinstein is one of them.

3 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

He's not my hero, and given this discussion, I don't question your intelligence.  I know the answer.  :cheers: 

Just now, Voltaire said:

Bret Weinstein is a brilliant independent thinker with valuable insights. He might have a point on these topics that you failed to consider.

You should tune in, as he's of the left not the right by the way.

I’ve listened a few times and wasn’t that impressed. He also believed ivermectin was 100% effective as a prophylactic 

2 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

I’ve listened a few times and wasn’t that impressed. He also believed ivermectin was 100% effective as a prophylactic 

Didn't see that in your uber gotcha list above.  :dunno: 

Also, he is a PhD evolutionary biologist and former professor, and you follow blue check twitter posters.  Just saying.  Unless you have some relevant scientific background I don't recall.

Just now, TimHauck said:

I'd not heard him speak about that that but he might have a point; he's not prone to hyperbole. It seems Ivermectin gets around. Fock if I can keep track of the COVID talk, or prophylactic in this case.

Just now, jerryskids said:

Also, he is a PhD evolutionary biologist and former professor, and you follow blue check twitter posters.  Just saying.  Unless you have some relevant scientific background I don't recall.

Speaking on evolutionary biology is where he's at his best. I like when top academics can break down their subjects in interesting ways so that laymen can understand and Weinstein is hugely capable of bringing it on that and many other issues. Whatever he says about Ivermectin or synthetic carpet, there's at least going to be some solid reasoning behind it.

7 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Most of the “twitter posters” I follow (which is really only a few) are also PhD’s and professors. And of course as we’ve seen with Covid there are plenty of highly credentialed people (on both sides) that apparently are idiots (not saying Weinstein is in this group)

9 hours ago, TimHauck said:

Most of the “twitter posters” I follow (which is really only a few) are also PhD’s and professors. And of course as we’ve seen with Covid there are plenty of highly credentialed people (on both sides) that apparently are idiots (not saying Weinstein is in this group)

The reason we are having this discussion is because you basically called Weinstein an idiot.  :dunno: 

2 hours ago, jerryskids said:

The reason we are having this discussion is because you basically called Weinstein an idiot.  :dunno: 

No, I just think he’s weird

I listen to Joe Momma

On 10/19/2022 at 9:47 AM, jerryskids said:

On 10/19/2022 at 12:39 PM, TimHauck said:

No, I just think he’s weird