Sign in to follow this  
The Moz

Settle a Baseball dispute...

Have alot of Family here for Easter - almost all are big Baseball fans. Somehow the topic of most unlikely team to win the WS comes up and an argument ends up breaking out :( One side says the 69 Mets and the other side the 1988 Dodgers ............. I tried to interject with the 86 Mets ( being down 2 runs - noone out in the bottom of the 9th) and was met with a evil eye :(

So which side here has it right? please tell me neither

I would side with the '69 Mets, but there are a few other options...

2004 Red Sox: down 3-0 in the ALCS and losing 4-3 in the 9th inning of game 4

2006 Cardinals: 83-79 regular season record

1987 Twins: only champ with a negative scoring margin in the regular season

The 86 mets were favored to win that series. They had an incredible comeback but they had a better team overall.

I think the 88 dodgers were the biggest underdog to win. Oakland was stacked and the dodgers were an incredibly weak hitting team.

The 69 mets were improbable because up to that year they were so inept but they had great pitching.

The 86 mets were favored to win that series. They had an incredible comeback but they had a better team overall.

I think the 88 dodgers were the biggest underdog to win. Oakland was stacked and the dodgers were an incredibly weak hitting team.

The 69 mets were improbable because up to that year they were so inept but they had great pitching.

If Memory serves in 88 Orel Hershizer Pitched out of his focking mind in the Classic though. Oakland had Canseco, Mac, Rickey..... and the best closer in the game in Dennis Eckersley. Thats A's team was one of the best I ever saw on paper - ran into a Pitcher who was out fo his fockign mind! in Orel.

At the beginning of series the 1990 Reds were the greatest underdog winner I can remember. And they swept.

Has to be the 69 mets. They had the incredible win streak, it was the first year the nlcs was put in place, then they had to beat the 109 win Orioles in the ws. Of course I had to look the other stuff up, but I knew their run was insane.

The 1969 Mets have to be in the top spot...

Other possibilities would be the 1987 Twins and the 2003 Marlins...

Has to be the 69 mets. They had the incredible win streak, it was the first year the nlcs was put in place, then they had to beat the 109 win Orioles in the ws. Of course I had to look the other stuff up, but I knew their run was insane.

The cubs blew a 9 game lead too, I blame the back cat at Shea that year..

Damn cubs

:(