Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

NFL Mock Draft - Version 3.0

Mahomes is the sexy pick for Houston and I don't like it. What's the point of drafting a QB if you can not keep him standing up. OL is where I would go. If not OL take TJ Watt. The first round pick needs to be a starter and a difference maker.

Mahomes is the sexy pick for Houston and I don't like it. What's the point of drafting a QB if you can not keep him standing up. OL is where I would go. If not OL take TJ Watt. The first round pick needs to be a starter and a difference maker.

Yep.

Osweiler hasnt been great in Houston, but the O line certainly didn't do him any favors.

There is no doubt of that.

To be Frank, I'm not 100% sure why they released Osweiler when they did. The move itself is okay if you have someone you can bring in who is better. But a fair bit of time has passed, and Houston has nobody.

I think it would have been smarter to keep him (Osweiler) in place (at least until a replacement was found or until a contract was on the verge of being signed)

At least if they kept Osweiler, they could have used the first round pick to grab an OT or OG. Now they are in a position where they may have to use it on a QB and they have traded a high draft pick away to unload the contract.

Cleveland has a vastly superior O line to Houston, so if Oz wins the starting job there, he will have more time to throw the ball which could (and should) mean his numbers will be better. I have a sneaky feeling Houston will end up looking really bad as a result of having made this deal.

Oz paved his way out of Houston when he got in the coach's face. They had to be separated. Regardless of his potential he put enough on tape to motivate the Texans to dump him.

I hope he wins the job in Cleveland because I thought highly of him a couple years back. That said even if he wins the job he won't be more than a year or two stopgap till Hue's pick ascends.

Oz paved his way out of Houston when he got in the coach's face. They had to be separated. Regardless of his potential he put enough on tape to motivate the Texans to dump him.

I hope he wins the job in Cleveland because I thought highly of him a couple years back. That said even if he wins the job he won't be more than a year or two stopgap till Hue's pick ascends.

You are most probably right.

But Hue does have a way of getting very good production out of his QB's. It wouldnt surprise me if he's been working with Osweiler already.

mostly this would be in terms of going over the playbook but also in terms of seeing if he can turn this kid around.

They just acquired him. Might as well take a good look to see if he can help you and if so by how much.

At this point we dont know what QB Cleveland is likely to get.

another question: how is next year's QB class looking? Is it expected to be better than this class?

If it is expected to be a good class, it may be prudent not to draft a QB specifically so they can get in on a (hopefully) better class next year.

This team will not turn it around in one year, so might as well draft from the strength of the draft rather than spend a high pick on a QB that likely needs a year on the bench before he is ready to play.

They could grab a top DE (Garrett) with the first pick, and possibly get the top DT on the board with the next pick, and your Defensive line will be set (more or less) for a decade.

Their second round picks could be used to grab a Centre and a Guard (or someone who could play RT) and shore up the O line.

The O line wasnt great last year, but I think it was better than what Ozweiler had in Houston (and possibly Denver)

They have a stud at LT, but could use help at RT and C. I feel the remaining players on the line could likely plug the guard spots on that line and do okay.

If this line gives Osweiler an extra half second to make his decisions (on average) every play, I think you will see that Oz will raise the level of his game. dont get me wrong, He is no all star, but I think he can at least be adequate. and he is young enough that there is still room for improvement.

• Like 1