Sign in to follow this  
unckeyherb

early strategy question.

12 team, 2 keeper league. I have 4-5 potential keepers and in addition

I traded Tory Holt at the end of last season for a first round pick (so I now have 2).

Who would you keep, considering you would have picks 6 and 9 in the first round

Possible Keepers:

Carson Palmer

Julius Jones

Willis McGahee

Duece McCallister

Chester Taylor

doubtful keepers but possible:

DJax

Joe Horn

Marion Barber

I'm back and forth. I think MCGahee is a definitely one of my keepers, but after that I go between JJ and Palmer. I figure if I keep two backs I can pick up two stud WR's at 6 and 9 and pick up a decent QB in a later round. Opinions? Thoughts on who to keep/draft are appreciated

Thanks in advance

I'll answer any of yours.

Your problem is that everyone will be available in the 1st round at 6 and 9. These guys just have too much ?? around them. I think you have to decide who you think will last longest in the redraft and whoever will get first and second should be your pick. McGahee is a keeper. Then I think you have to pick between McAllister and Taylor. injury vs a new RB in a new system with a RBBC possibility.

If you go with McAllister then you know he is not going to be in a RBBC. It is reported that he is going great in rehab and will be ready. He has a injured QB learning a system, so the Saints might run the ball. What has me worried is that O-line needs serious help because they lost the entire Rt side starters.

Taylor just received a nice contract with the vikes, but is not garunteed the start. What the vikes did is go out during the off season and signed two probowl o-linemen, including the best gaurd in the game. I also hear rumors that the vikes are looking at a running back in the draft. I don't know why, it's just what I hear. If you can wait till after the draft to make your decision then I would see what the Vikes do in the darft.

I'd keep McAllister and McGahee.

You can pick up any of those other guys at 6 and 9 or focus on WR. You should be in great shape.

Prolly roll with mcallister and mcgahee. depending on what qb td's and yardage points are, then you might want to think about palmer. since you have plenty of time to think about it, it gives you enough time to see how well palmer rehabs. everything goes smooth there then palmer will again be at the top of the league for qb scoring and the gain there should outweigh what you can get from mcallister compared to what your gonna be able to get at the 6 and 9 pick. there will be plenty of good talent there since only the top 24 players are gone.

i'd go deuce and willis as well. you will be able to get at least 1 if not 2 of palmer, julius, taylor, djax and horn so you are in a pretty good position.

i'd go deuce and willis as well. you will be able to get at least 1 if not 2 of palmer, julius, taylor, djax and horn so you are in a pretty good position.

Thanks for your responses.

Yeah, I think I'm pretty sold on McGahee and Duece. My question then becomes one of draft strategy. Do I try to snag two studly WR's (Tory, TO, Steve Smith, Fitz and possibly Moss and Chad are probably not being kept by their current owners). It would be pretty sweet going into the second round having any combination of those WR's. I could then pick up a decent RB3 on the way back up (figure a thomas Jones or Warrick Dunn) as a backup.

Or do I try to stock up on three or four RB's that are all solid.

I guess I'm figuring the dropoff of WR talent from the first round to the second will be pretty major as opposed to the dropoff at RB talent. Hmmmm..

Jones and Taylor

Both their teams added a lot of help to their Offenses.

This is a tough call after Willis. It's between JJ & Deuce for me. Luv the Deuce but beginning to ? durability. Would wait to the last possible moment & try to track Deuce's progress as best you can. Coachspeak makes it tough to really know how valid reports are unless it becomes painfully obvious lol.

If there are no 1st-tier RBs, I definitely take a TO-CJ-Fitz w/ 1 of those 1st rounders, maybe both.

Go with Willis and JJ. W/ 2 first rounders and your 2 rb's already on your roster you should be able to put together a real nice team

McGahee Id see as the no brainer like everyone else points out. You only keep 2 year after year? So, this is not dynasty and you dont need to look to far down the road. For that reason, Id cut Palmer. he had an ACL tear in January, and he will be lucky to play half the season at best. Even the most opimistic of surgeons would tell you this. Maybe next year or possibly trade him to someone else. McCallister is coming off an ACL tear as well. He'll be half speed all year. Cut. JJones...is HE the starter or in a full blown committe with Marion Barber? I think its a committee, and JJ gets hurt alot. You can get both of those guys in the 1st if the not the 2nd round. Taylor is a wildcard. He's a little unproven, but then so was Lamont Jordan last year, and McGahee the year before that, and LJ the year before that, and Portis the year before that, and so on and so on. He may be the sleeper #2 keeper candidate here for you. Look into some trades and send feelers out around your league, but youre in a nice spot with your two picks. I would say for having 2 keepers, right now theyre not really strong, so if its possible to upgrade the position, then get it done.

as for the WRs, getting your hands on any of those guys would be nice. if Smith is there at 6, Id snag him and maybe Fitz at 9...youd be lucky to see that happen. If that were to fall into place, Id go RB RB RB the next 3 rounds.

I'd keep Julius Jones and Carson Palmer.

FYI: I had J. Jones, McGahee and Palmer on my team last year and I followed them in 2004 as well.

I asked this question awhile ago (prior to the draft), and was just wondering if people had different opinions?

I'm sure that the peeps that recommended keeping Duece might not think that is the best idea now.

From what I've been reading recently more people are less and less into Julius and more and more into CTaylor.

Thoughts?

interesting, still no real supporters of julie.

I wish I didn't have so much man-love for this jerk. HE's focked me 2 years in a row and

STILL all I can think about is his Thanksgiving day game his rookie year.

Anyway, more people are saying Palmer than I would have thought. I guess I feel like taking two RBS and grab two stud WRS. I was just interested in seeing if more people thought chesta would be the better pick over Julie. I guess he is.

interesting, still no real supporters of julie.

I wish I didn't have so much man-love for this jerk. HE's focked me 2 years in a row and

STILL all I can think about is his Thanksgiving day game his rookie year.

Anyway, more people are saying Palmer than I would have thought. I guess I feel like taking two RBS and grab two stud WRS. I was just interested in seeing if more people thought chesta would be the better pick over Julie. I guess he is.

Interesting you say no real supporters of "julie". His name is Julius and if that's how you feel about him, then just don't keep him and stop running him down. FYI: You will regret not Keeping Julius Jones and whoever drafts him will reap the rewards of your poor judgement. And check my previous post, I am a real supporter of Julius Jones, and Carson Palmer for that matter. Palmer and J. Jones are head and shoulders above everyone else on your list. You can take my advice or not. There's nothing more I can say; well there is, but just trust me.

Interesting you say no real supporters of "julie". His name is Julius and if that's how you feel about him, then just don't keep him and stop running him down. FYI: You will regret not Keeping Julius Jones and whoever drafts him will reap the rewards of your poor judgement. And check my previous post, I am a real supporter of Julius Jones, and Carson Palmer for that matter. Palmer and J. Jones are head and shoulders above everyone else on your list. You can take my advice or not. There's nothing more I can say; well there is, but just trust me.

calm down timmy. I'm not running him down. I called him Julie as a joke. If I knew I'd hurt you for that I certainly wouldn't have done it. And as for supporting him, I do. I've had him the last two years. I just worry about durability. In the same way I worry about Palmer's status coming into the season. And questions surrounding Taylor and what he'll do on a new team. And whether McGahee can produce in Buffalo's crap offense.

Also, I would love to take your advice, but just claiming that two guys are head and shoulders above the rest, doesn't sway me. I am inclined to agree with you, but what is your basis for saying that Julius is head and shoulders above McGahee? Or that Palmer is a guy that I should definitely keep?

I guess what I am saying is I can't just trust you :rolleyes:

calm down timmy. I'm not running him down. I called him Julie as a joke. If I knew I'd hurt you for that I certainly wouldn't have done it. And as for supporting him, I do. I've had him the last two years. I just worry about durability. In the same way I worry about Palmer's status coming into the season. And questions surrounding Taylor and what he'll do on a new team. And whether McGahee can produce in Buffalo's crap offense.

Also, I would love to take your advice, but just claiming that two guys are head and shoulders above the rest, doesn't sway me. I am inclined to agree with you, but what is your basis for saying that Julius is head and shoulders above McGahee? Or that Palmer is a guy that I should definitely keep?

I guess what I am saying is I can't just trust you :banana:

I would keep McGahee and Taylor. McGahee is a shoe-in, but follow me with Taylor. They picked up the second best Guard in football from the Seahawks and they also signed the best "run" blocking fullback in the league in Tony Richardson. I think they will rely heavily on the run with the exit of their number 1 reciever. Koren Robinson is now slated as their number 1. Taylor will have a banner year and I think he has a good shot at being in the 10 top ten in fantasy numbers.

Mcgahee and Taylor for me as well. I would not keep Palmer...trust me. You can get him back later if you want him that bad. A qb coming off major knee surgery that may not start til week six, is not how you want to start the season off by keeping him out of two players.

Jones would be third on my list. If you have time just wait it out. These questions may answer themselves in two months. The Duece supporters are now gone due to the draft. Injuries could change some of these so patience might be the decider...if you have time that is. Good luck