Sign in to follow this  
mmmmm...beer

Mmmmm...beer's Low Carb Trial

How many calories are you consuming per day, how long have you been at it and how often are you working out?

How many calories are you consuming per day, how long have you been at it and how often are you working out?

I'm at about 20-25 NET carbs a day.... I don't count fiber in the carb count... which is probably an additional 25-40 carbs a day in fiber from veggies. Been after it for about 8 weeks... almost 20 lbs down.

My macros are around:

145g fat

185g protein

20-25g net carbs

Though for the first two weeks I did <20 grams of total carbs.

Travelled 3 of those stupid weeks... so it really paid havoc on my workouts... so only worked out probably 3x a week.

Seriously though.... hasn't even really felt like a "diet". It's hasn't been difficult... just stay away from bread, pasta, and sugar.

The YOOOOGE eye opener was label reading and realizing how much focking sugar we put in everything. Like sh!t you wouldn't think needs sugar... we put a pile in there for good measure. It's redic....

I'm at about 20-25 NET carbs a day.... I don't count fiber in the carb count... which is probably an additional 25-40 carbs a day in fiber from veggies. Been after it for about 8 weeks... almost 20 lbs down.

My macros are around:

145g fat

185g protein

20-25g net carbs

Though for the first two weeks I did <20 grams of total carbs.

Travelled 3 of those stupid weeks... so it really paid havoc on my workouts... so only worked out probably 3x a week.

Seriously though.... hasn't even really felt like a "diet". It's hasn't been difficult... just stay away from bread, pasta, and sugar.

The YOOOOGE eye opener was label reading and realizing how much focking sugar we put in everything. Like sh!t you wouldn't think needs sugar... we put a pile in there for good measure. It's redic....

Carbs dont matter. Weight loss is all calories in calories out. If you burn more than you consume your weight my fluctuate due to water weight, BMs etc. but you absolutely will continue to lose.

This site can help estimate how many calories you need to maintain or lose weight:

https://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html

ETA: At 237/8 lbs you will maintain at about 2,700-2,800. Cut that to 2,200 and youll lose a pound or more per week if youre exercising regularly. I recommend cardio too. I weigh significantly less than you and a 4-mile jog burns almost 600 calories. And your weight if you do that 3x week youre going to sweat the weight off.

• Like 1

Good work mmbeer, cutting the carbs is an extremely effective weight loss diet.

Getting rid of the sugar is healthy byroduct as well. Glad to see it's working for you.

:thumbsup:

• Like 2

Carbs dont matter. Weight loss is all calories in calories out. If you burn more than you consume your weight my fluctuate due to water weight, BMs etc. but you absolutely will continue to lose.

This site can help estimate how many calories you need to maintain or lose weight:

https://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html

ETA: At 237/8 lbs you will maintain at about 2,700-2,800. Cut that to 2,200 and youll lose a pound or more per week if youre exercising regularly. I recommend cardio too. I weigh significantly less than you and a 4-mile jog burns almost 600 calories. And your weight if you do that 3x week youre going to sweat the weight off.

Let's try an experiment: you get your proscribed calories 100% thru sugar, I'll get mine 100% through fat, change nothing else, and we'll compare weight in a month. What do you think would happen?

Let's try an experiment: you get your proscribed calories 100% thru sugar, I'll get mine 100% through fat, change nothing else, and we'll compare weight in a month. What do you think would happen?

Since when did I recommend an all sugar diet? I told mbeer to start counting calories. He mentioned his daily intake of carbs but seems to have no idea how many calories hes taking in.

Since when did I recommend an all sugar diet? I told mbeer to start counting calories. He mentioned his daily intake of carbs but seems to have no idea how many calories hes taking in.

You just said "carbs don't matter." :dunno:

When it comes to weight loss they really dont. Im assuming the alternative to low/no carb is a healthy diet.

Why do the keto cultists assume its always salmon vs Twinkies? :wacko:

Carbs don't matter, sugar intake does matter since sugars are high in calories.

I suppose it is not all about carbs but the Atkins diet is now about 40 years old and everything since that is even remotely successful copies it or plagerises it in some way. And I know first hand you can't outwork what you eat. I tried and failed lol.

Facts is the facts, most of us have to eat a healthy, clean diet and hit the gym to maintain a healthy body. That means low carb, low sugar, high protein, and high fiber diet. Also best to eat good high fatty foods (avocado, eggs, cheese, olive oil and nuts. But some people are even more extreme and will tell you to cut the oil, nuts and dairy as well.

I just blew through another plateau and am about 5 pounds away from my goal. 6 pack is starting to show through. :thumbsup:

When it comes to weight loss they really dont. Im assuming the alternative to low/no carb is a healthy diet.

Why do the keto cultists assume its always salmon vs Twinkies? :wacko:

Bingo. This problem also is found in nutrition research, and its maddening.

Ketogenic diets are slightly better in the short term for weight loss, likely as a consequence of early satiety promoted by fat and protein. They seem to be about the same as low fat diets wrt cardiovascular risk.

Long term it doesn't matter. But I'm willing to bet they aren't healthier than diets which feature more carbohydrates. We'll probably have to wait a couple decades to know for sure.

You'd both have a sh!tty diet :dunno:

I suppose it is not all about carbs but the Atkins diet is now about 40 years old and everything since that is even remotely successful copies it or plagerises it in some way. And I know first hand you can't outwork what you eat. I tried and failed lol.

Facts is the facts, most of us have to eat a healthy, clean diet and hit the gym to maintain a healthy body. That means low carb, low sugar, high protein, and high fiber diet. Also best to eat good high fatty foods (avocado, eggs, cheese, olive oil and nuts. But some people are even more extreme and will tell you to cut the oil, nuts and dairy as well.

I just blew through another plateau and am about 5 pounds away from my goal. 6 pack is starting to show through. :thumbsup:

A gym body isn't necessarily a healthy body. Of the 5 things you mention, only low sugar and high fiber are components of the healthiest diets.

You're better off ignoring a few folks around here when it comes to diet. One of them studied nutrition 30 years ago and the other is a certified dipsh!t.

HTH

Keep doing what works for you.

You're better off ignoring a few folks around here when it comes to diet. One of them studied nutrition 30 years ago and the other is a certified dipsh!t.

HTH

I didn't study nutrition 30 years ago :mad:

As one of maybe 5 height / weight proportionate geeks in the entire forearm I am qualified to give you advice. Low carb burns no more calories than CICO but it does give you ass breath.

:dunno:

As one of maybe 5 height / weight proportionate geeks in the entire forearm I am qualified to give you advice. Low carb burns no more calories than CICO but it does give you ass breath.

And the certified dipshit chimes in again

Yeah, so you say. I think we've learned what you tell us doesn't mean much.

Yeah, so you say. I think we've learned what you tell us doesn't mean much.

I can tell you that someone who knows how many carbs he has per day but doesnt know how many calories is focusing on the wrong thing when it comes to weight loss.

HTH

Why do you think many doctors dont endorse ketogenic diets? Do you think were all ignorant?

FWIW my good friend runs a bariatric center at a major university. Hes surrounded by nutritionists and weight loss experts. Ive never asked about ketogenic diets specifically, but he was the one who pointed out the major diet studies arent comparing apples to apples. He also agrees we are overdoing protein in our diets, as nearly nobody in the US is deficient.

Who said that.. if you actually read the thread.. I said my TDEE was 2800... I'm taking in 2100... you even commented on it if I recall.

I can tell you that someone who knows how many carbs he has per day but doesnt know how many calories is focusing on the wrong thing when it comes to weight loss.

Again... lies..

Who said that.. if you actually read the thread.. I said my TDEE was 2800... I'm taking in 2100... you even commented on it if I recall.

Your last post only mentioned carbs. If youre 230+ pounds youll lose weight at 2100 calories a day. 2-3 pounds a month is great progress.

Why do you think many doctors dont endorse ketogenic diets? Do you think were all ignorant?

FWIW my good friend runs a bariatric center at a major university. Hes surrounded by nutritionists and weight loss experts. Ive never asked about ketogenic diets specifically, but he was the one who pointed out the major diet studies arent comparing apples to apples. He also agrees we are overdoing protein in our diets, as nearly nobody in the US is deficient.

Yeah using a doc whos livelihood relies on suckers willing to have portions of their stomachs removed surgically as a source is not going to fly. I bet those azzhats slam low carb diets because low carb is the one thing that will put them out of biz. I may not be a medical "professional" but I'd be willing to bet losing weaight naturally through good diet and exercise is a million times healthier than the crap they pull at the clinic you mention.

Fockin doctors, I swear. Some of them need to be strung up.

My doc is a marathoner. He is mid 50's, lean and mean. Dude is a focking stud. I think I'll take his word over your quack group at the chop house :D

Have you even given the documentary in this thread The Magic Pill a look?

Have you even given the documentary in this thread The Magic Pill a look?

Yeah, I watched it. Some valid points, but a whole lotta unsubstantiated stuff too.

Have you watched Forks Over Knives, Food Matters and Food Inc.? They all paint a different picture of what constitutes a healthy diet.

Everybody agrees processed carbohydrates are bad. And the data largely supports superior short term weight loss from very low carbohydrate diets. If that’s what you’re after, great, but you’re fooling yourself if you think ketogenic diets are a panacea. If health is your goal, there are better options, diets where healthy carbohydrates aren’t limited.

Yeah using a doc whos livelihood relies on suckers willing to have portions of their stomachs removed surgically as a source is not going to fly. I bet those azzhats slam low carb diets because low carb is the one thing that will put them out of biz. I may not be a medical "professional" but I'd be willing to bet losing weaight naturally through good diet and exercise is a million times healthier than the crap they pull at the clinic you mention.

Fockin doctors, I swear. Some of them need to be strung up.

My doc is a marathoner. He is mid 50's, lean and mean. Dude is a focking stud. I think I'll take his word over your quack group at the chop house :D

You guys kill me. My friend isn’t a bariatric surgeon, and hates the surgical approach to weight management. Same goes for me. We’re both active and at a healthy weight too. There’s nothing worse than healthcare professionals who don’t practice what they preach.

Your last post only mentioned carbs. If youre 230+ pounds youll lose weight at 2100 calories a day. 2-3 pounds a month is great progress.

One of the major selling points of ketogenic diets is counting calories is unnecessary, largely because of the satiety effect we’ve already mentioned. Of course they just substitute counting carbohydrates. Personally I think both approaches aren’t ideal - better to identify healthy food choices and keep the diet varied while developing a gestalt for appropriate portion sizes.

Why wouldnt you count calories? Achieving a caloric deficit is the surest way to lose weight.

Why wouldnt you count calories? Achieving a caloric deficit is the surest way to lose weight.

Its fine in the beginning, to get a rough idea of your intake and goals. But its cumbersome long term, and its actually pretty hard to overeat if you focus on a plant-based diet.

Its fine in the beginning, to get a rough idea of your intake and goals. But its cumbersome long term, and its actually pretty hard to overeat if you focus on a plant-based diet.

I no longer rigorously count calories but in the early going of weight loss it was really helpful to get a sense of how much I was over eating before. Now I just sort of keep a mental note but the habit of eating a healthy amount is ingrained.

Anyone actually into keto absolutely counts calories. You can't just eat unlimited calories a day and think you'll accomplish anything.

That's a misconception from the outside looking in.

I use the CarbManager app to track everything.

Anyone actually into keto absolutely counts calories. You can't just eat unlimited calories a day and think you'll accomplish anything.

That's a misconception from the outside looking in.

I use the CarbManager app to track everything.

As stated I've had major success with keto and never once counted calories.That said,I love salads and raw veggies and do not eat meat,eggs and cheese to no end.If anything my largest calorie intake probably comes from real salad dressings but I've never looked,I can just say as a lover of salads it works for me because I cannot stomach those damn low calorie or no fat dressings.

You guys kill me. My friend isn’t a bariatric surgeon, and hates the surgical approach to weight management. Same goes for me. We’re both active and at a healthy weight too. There’s nothing worse than healthcare professionals who don’t practice what they preach.

Just wondering, why haven't you asked him about ketogenic diets? :dunno:

One of the major selling points of ketogenic diets is counting calories is unnecessary, largely because of the satiety effect we’ve already mentioned. Of course they just substitute counting carbohydrates. Personally I think both approaches aren’t ideal - better to identify healthy food choices and keep the diet varied while developing a gestalt for appropriate portion sizes.

I quoted this because you said "satiety effect," which maybe was discussed but I don't recall the specifics. One of the huge benefits of a low-carb, high-fat diet is that carbs in general do not promote satiety, whereas fat does. Fiber may do it moreso than sugars, and I suspect your Blue Zone "65% carbs" is very high in fiber vs. glucose etc. They include nuts, eggs, and fiber. I already outlined how those diets are not that far off from low-carb (if you isolate fiber from non-fiber); heck even Atkins decades ago advocated a "maintenance" diet which included high-fiber foods.

Anyway, this is why I think your study about difficulty maintaining low-carb diets is bunk, because the very nature of the foods in it promotes satiety. High-glycemic carbs don't. To nzoner's post, never ever ever use "low-calorie" or "no-fat" anything. They have pounded that stuff with sugar. Eat the real thing, it is better for you.

It is also part of why I challenged MDC to an all-sugar diet. I know this is a chat bored and we don't need to be experts, but his lack of willingness to educate himself in any way on the way these macronutrients are processed is very frustrating. He just keeps saying "calories in calories out" like if he says it enough it will make it true. It just doesn't. :dunno:

I think you understand the science but are drawing the line on a lifetime of animal fats and protein. I'm trying to find a middle ground here in multiple threads. :cheers:

He just keeps saying "calories in calories out" like if he says it enough it will make it true.

You actually doubt that this is true?

You actually doubt that this is true?

I know that it is not true. One, I have a daughter with Type 1 diabetes and as such have done research into how different macronutrients are processed within the body. Second, as an engineer I know that a "Calorie" is a unit of potential heat energy within foods; it is a theoretical ideal number which in no way implies that the body processes all calories the same.

And you... anecdotally aren't a fattie? :dunno: