Sign in to follow this  
trumpurethra

At what income level...

What income level do you feel it is justified to give your boss more than 40 hours a week? How about 60 hours a week?(This is more a question for salaried folks I guess)

If you're self employed or working a lot of hours for good money, at what point do you say enough, I'm going home to be with my family?

When you were younger and working a crap job did you ever tell your boss to go fock themselves and walk off?

What income level do you feel it is justified to give your boss more than 40 hours a week? How about 60 hours a week?(This is more a question for salaried folks I guess)

If you're self employed or working a lot of hours for good money, at what point do you say enough, I'm going home to be with my family?

When you were younger and working a crap job did you ever tell your boss to go fock themselves and walk off?

I do my job until I think it's done. I don't count my hours.

• Like 1

Probably depends on the city. 100k in LA and New York isn't even close to the same as 100k in Houston.

Salaried, will not work over 40... ever. I do sometimes have to work late or weekend but then I take time off.

Probably depends on the city. 100k in LA and New York isn't even close to the same as 100k in Houston.

So true. If you're not making 100k and you're in your forties and live in the northeast you ain't working hard enough.

It disgusts me with FaceTime is still so important. They blow all the smoke about work-life balance, but I sure as haven't seen it. I used to take calls at 2 in the morning from Europe and then I started getting bitching if I wander in later than 8 a.m. to our local office.

Talk to my boss and Amsterdam about it one time. I fully expected him to say those people can go screw. But those Europeans are such pussies, Well you know, optics so important...

So I started finding any and every excuse to send emails to Jesus and everybody after the 2 a.m. phone calls. I hope it woke those fuckers up.

To answer your question, the only time I lost it and told my boss to go blow himself was in the middle of busy season when I was probably 23 ish. I was already on Pace to be second in the department in overtime for the year. We're talking hundreds of hours of overtime. Unpaid. Had worked till like 9 p.m. the night before during busy season. Walked in about 7:14 the next morning:

WIFF! (Not my real name). In this white trash Oklahoma redneck accent, "what time is it?" And I knew it was on.

I took a long hard look at the clock and was right next to the guy's head, the guy being my boss, got a big shiit eating grin on my face "well it looks to me like that clock right next to your head says it's 714!"

'And what are your regular working hours?'

"Well Dale, you're my boss you should know, it's 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. with a half hour lunch break!" Still smiling like a mother dude.

"Well when it says 7 a.m. that means at your desk and ready to work at 7 a.m., not just walking in not just going getting coffee not anything just getting ready to..."

I'm sorry Dale, did you miss the part where I said until 4:30 p.m.? Cuz last night I work till then when 9:30 p.m. how many hours after 4:30 p.m. is 9:30 p.m.? In the same shity condescending tone that he gave me.

'But but but, that doesn't matter!'😭

"Well it sure as hell matters to me! You're going to seriously bust my balls over 15 minutes in the morning when I worked 5 hours later last night? And I've given you hundreds of hours of overtime already this year?"

Dale on a good day was about half a beat away from a coronary. At this moment? His face was Scarlet Red. He was the very definition of apoplectic. He wasn't used to anybody standing up to him.

I just said "Jesus" and shook my head while still having that same shiit eating grin on my face. I was fully expecting to be fired. Didn't care.

The funny thing is, as soon as Dale opened his mouth, everybody started prairie dogging from their cubicles outside.

Note on Dale, it was all about FaceTime. Hell, his wife had to bring his 12 year old son to Dale's office so his son could see his dad on the kids birthday. No . And it's not like the guy had work to do. It was a Saturday and he sat there and read the Wall Street Journal and just played timekeeper making sure nobody God forbid left early on a Saturday.

I turned in my notice a few weeks later. I seriously don't think I talk to him during that whole interim period. After I left, I found out that he'd been removed from supervising anybody. He's still kept the job in the office in the title but no supervision whatsoever.

Im salary and pay is based on an 80 hour pay period which is two weeks. I average 90 hours a pay period. Im a co-owner so I like to be a good example to other employees.

I don't work overtime without being paid for it. We only get so much time on this planet, and I'd rather spend it at home with my family.

Family first, money second.

• Like 1

I don't work overtime without being paid for it. We only get so much time on this planet, and I'd rather spend it at home with my family.

Family first, money second.

I agree with that. I go in at 7am because Im already up and live next to work. I rarely stay past 5pm. Im usually the one who opens up the store and its a good time to get stuff done. I also dont miss time with the family since no one is up when I go to work anyway.

Im on contract. My contract calls for me to teach a certain number of hours a week. If they want me to cover an extra class or whatever, they pay extra, or they pound sand.

They sure as Fock are sure to dock your pay if you miss a class for being sick or whatever, so I figure good for the goose good for the gander.

I work 45 to 50 typically but thats it. I know this one guy who watches his kids all day, drives Lyft for 50 hours per week and still found time to post 30,000 times on a low rent lightly trafficked message board in two years.

Now that guy is a real go getter.

I mostly work 40-45 hour weeks, maybe 1 month a year of 60 hour weeks the last couple years.

I work 45 to 50 typically but thats it. I know this one guy who watches his kids all day, drives Lyft for 50 hours per week and still found time to post 30,000 times on a low rent lightly trafficked message board in two years.

Now that guy is a real go getter.

You "work"? You've never done a hard days work in your life. Your lack of character and funds are proof of that. Lol.

Before having kids, I didnt care how many hours I worked. Once kids came into the picture, I moved to a 45 hour per week position. Money is extremely important, but time with my family is priceless.

I work more than 45 hours when needed. I would not work more than that regularly. If I got to that point, I would hire another person.

I haven't averaged 40 hours a week on a regular basis for a very long time. I probably average close to 60 hours a week if you count emails and calls on the weekend and on vacation. That said I knew what I signed up for and I get compensated pretty well by normal standards. By geek club standards I am still below average.

Never. Hell, I barely put in 30 a week.

Im 40. This past year, Ive cut it back to 45-50 hours per week. But the previous 3-4 years, I was probably averaging about 60. It was wearing me down. Not so much physically in that I just didnt have much left for the rest of what life is supposed to entail.

On average, I work about 26 hours a week, and I'd like to cut back.

I've worked 120+ hour weeks during my training, and have no problem working over any given day to get the job done. But my strategy has always been to live simply so I can work less. Every time pay increases I try to figure out a way to reduce my hours. For me and my wife, ~100K is enough to I've comfortably.

I work so much my co-workers started making comments about how I'm always there at 8:30 and 9pm.

I only charge OT (we get paid straight time) if I feel like the program management is wasting my time making bad decisions.

It's expected that you need to work at least 50 hrs/wk where I'm at if you want to get good raises and be considered for promotions.

I work so much my co-workers started making comments about how I'm always there at 8:30 and 9pm.

I only charge OT (we get paid straight time) if I feel like the program management is wasting my time making bad decisions.

It's expected that you need to work at least 50 hrs/wk where I'm at if you want to get good raises and be considered for promotions.

I hate jobs like that. You should be judged on what you accomplish, not how long you sit there.

Ive often noticed that a lot of people that live at work dont actually do much while they are there. They just have no life so they hang out at work.

At Waffle House, there were a bunch of managers that were like hard freaking core. Lived at their stores. Hell, the bare minimum came out to over 60 hours a week. They had a class action lawsuit about it once.

Then the bosses are like, you left right after first shift. So and so stayed four hours later.

So? My sales are higher than hers, my staffing and cleanliness numbers are higher, and my food cost is lower. Just because she sits around and drinks coffee and smokes all afternoon, she gets a cookie?

It depends. I am hourly. Some jobs are 84 a week. Some are 40, 50, 60. I have worked a lot of over time for how young I am

I work for myself, its harder work and more hours, but I don't answer to anyone

I can work less to if I want to, makes no difference really

A lot of folks really enjoy the flexibility that Mary Kay offers.

True. There is a better way to word this question. More about comfort level and lifestyle.

Jealous. Always wanted to start a biz. But twice divorced, had kids young and both wives were hot and entitled (i.e felt they didn't have to do sh!t besides look good). So I had to provide the insurance for the kiddos. If not for that, I would definitely do my own thing.

Im 40. This past year, Ive cut it back to 45-50 hours per week. But the previous 3-4 years, I was probably averaging about 60. It was wearing me down. Not so much physically in that I just didnt have much left for the rest of what life is supposed to entail.

Yeah that's where I'm at now. It is not hard work (sales) but I am pretty much always at work. All told I probably put in 60 hours a week and its getting to the point where I say enough is enough. I have almost tripled the business in my territory and make great money but at a certain point you definitely give up too much of your own time.

I haven't averaged 40 hours a week on a regular basis for a very long time. I probably average close to 60 hours a week if you count emails and calls on the weekend and on vacation. That said I knew what I signed up for and I get compensated pretty well by normal standards. By geek club standards I am still below average.

Emails and calls are work bud. It is the same for me. And a lot of times it is after 5-6 o'clock and on weekends. That wears on you after awhile.

Salaried, will not work over 40... ever. I do sometimes have to work late or weekend but then I take time off.

Your company is lucky to have snapped you up.

For me, Ill work as long as is necessary to finish what I need to get done. I can usually finish that in 40 hours, but if not, Ill keep working.

Ditto.

One major drawback is that its hard for me to get away for any length of time.

For the most part I work right around 40 hours a week. But, I have the opportunity to work some weekend days where I get paid at an overtime rate to be on call for a product we don't get a lot of calls about for a 12 hour shift. So, I've been taking advantage of that this year. Did it both days this weekend and have yet to get a call. Easy money.

Usually work over 40 hours but have never made anywhere near 100K.

Sometimes you have to, just in order to maintain your standing among your peers. If your plan is to eventually compete for senior VP positions and above, you have to put in the extra to out perform your competition. If you are just picking up a paycheck and biding your time, then the only reason to work more is to protect your spot from scrutiny or someone else undermining you.

my boss is salary. If he works a weekend of stays extra hours, he gets to leave early on other days or take time off equivalent to the extra time he worked.

I am hourly, I get OT for working extra (I much prefer that) I do not want his job. Even if he leaves, I more than likely won't be interested. Way too political and way too many meetings involved

my boss is salary. If he works a weekend of stays extra hours, he gets to leave early on other days or take time off equivalent to the extra time he worked.

I am hourly, I get OT for working extra (I much prefer that) I do not want his job. Even if he leaves, I more than likely won't be interested. Way too political and way too many meetings involved

Oddly it is the political component where most people fail. I can understand people wanting to avoid it. I enjoy it. In every meeting, conversation and email their tends to be some political opportunities embedded that an alert person can exploit. The ability to leverage some facet of an event to benefit you against several other activities without participants realizing what you are up to is just fun

Buying and selling natural gas, I occasionally have to deal with after hours/weekend type work. I usually work 7 to 4, but get out early a lot in the summer to play golf or whatever. I haven't thought about how many hours I put in in a long time. Not sure if that makes me a slave to the grind or just one of those "they pay me well enough that I should be ok with doing my job however long it takes" people. My yearly bonus is tied to $ performance, so when I am doing deals evenings or weekends, I am almost always adding to the bottom line so that it motivation enough for me.

Based on post counts..........I'd say the Average Geek Work Week is 22 hours. :D

• Like 1