Sign in to follow this  
blackhawks

Entering New League

Good evening All,

I am looking for a little advice concerning a new league i will be entering this year, The new league has IDP positions. I typically have been involved in a 10 team ppr keeper league so the IDP is a new thing for me. I was wondering about drafting IDP players. What rounds do you typically start to pickup these positions. I dont have all the particular rules just yet.What i do know is that its a PPR league and there will be 12 teams(once i get the scoring,rules and roster requirements, i will update this post).

Where can i find a "top 100,200" list that lists IDP players?

How have some of you approached this kind of league?

Thanks for any insight :cheers:

Need to know points for stats. I play in a .5 pts tackle, 5 points sack league. If you get a top guy he is very valuable, but defensive players change so often that if they don't get a lot of points it's easy to find value

Stay away from Corner Backs. When it comes to DB'S, go after Safeties. A guy like Richard Sherman is a great CB, and great for Seattle. But if teams don't throw his way, your not getting any fantasy points.

For DL, you want your DE's. They're much more valuable than the DT or Nose Tackle type guys. The DE's are the one's who are getting the majority of the sacks. Think Cincinnati as an example. Geno Atkins is a stud, but for IDP's, your gonna want Carlos Dunlap. He's the one hitting the QB's.

LB's are pretty much the same in fantasy as in real life, if he's a stud, then he's a stud. If you can't grab a top guy though, then look at LB's that are 3 down players. If they don't come off the field, then they get opportunity to make plays.

*Also, check for return stats. Because IDP's don't use team defense/special teams. That usually means that players will get those return yardages added to their individual stats. An example here would be Tyler Lockett in Seattle. His punt and kick returns get added with his wr stats. (Usually the same scoring, 1 point for every 10 yards, and 6 points for a td). But this greatly increases any double dipping players. Usually WR's, DB's, some RB's.

Good luck, and as with anything else, read your scoring rules for your draft preparation.

Also, check out FFTodays home page. The rankings/projection and cheatsheets will give you a nice over view.

Yeah. Middle linebackers and free safeties if at all possible. Defensive ends over defensive tackles. Outside linebackers need to be checked on sack numbers. Chances are if they don't get many sacks, they drop into coverage. From a fantasy perspective that's bad as it pertains to scoring.

Stay away from Corner Backs. When it comes to DB'S, go after Safeties. A guy like Richard Sherman is a great CB, and great for Seattle. But if teams don't throw his way, your not getting any fantasy points.

For DL, you want your DE's. They're much more valuable than the DT or Nose Tackle type guys. The DE's are the one's who are getting the majority of the sacks. Think Cincinnati as an example. Geno Atkins is a stud, but for IDP's, your gonna want Carlos Dunlap. He's the one hitting the QB's.

LB's are pretty much the same in fantasy as in real life, if he's a stud, then he's a stud. If you can't grab a top guy though, then look at LB's that are 3 down players. If they don't come off the field, then they get opportunity to make plays.

*Also, check for return stats. Because IDP's don't use team defense/special teams. That usually means that players will get those return yardages added to their individual stats. An example here would be Tyler Lockett in Seattle. His punt and kick returns get added with his wr stats. (Usually the same scoring, 1 point for every 10 yards, and 6 points for a td). But this greatly increases any double dipping players. Usually WR's, DB's, some RB's.

Good luck, and as with anything else, read your scoring rules for your draft preparation.

I've played IDP for years, and this is pretty much the perfect response. If anything, I'd add that sometimes you can find an outside LB with DE eligibility. Some players are hybrids, like Terrell Suggs.

Ya know what I find interesting, when I go to check startup dynasty drafts to see where guys are going, it's hard to find a league that isn't at least one of if not both IDP and superflex. None of the three dynasties I have ever been in had those.

Thanks everyone for the responses!

Some really great stuff ; some things i probably wouldnt have thought about. Although i havent posted much in the past,this is why i routinely check this site. Always find great advice/insight here :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I am meeting with the commish later today so i hope to be posting the league stats/rules sometime soon.

The one thing i am still looking for is a ADP that includes IDP's. Seems that everywhere i look all the ADP lists only show team defenses.

For example:i have seen in a couple spots that JJ Watt is a top IDP......For you that are already in this type of league,What round would you try and snag him? The one "rookie" thing i want to avoid is drafting IDPs too early.

Thanks again

I have played some IDP and it is quite fun. As for when to draft them, it depends on the scoring system and they can vary a good bit for IDP. I would look to take defensive players before you take a team defense in a normal draft. Once you get your studs at RB, WR, QB etc. in the 1st few rounds I don't think it's a bad idea to pick up IDP.

Defensive players are usually not as consistent as the offensive players and the studs are fewer and farther between. The good players are the good players. JJ Watt, Von Miller, etc. are great for IDP. It's the playmakers that get you what you want. Pass rushers are the best. A good ballhawking LB or safety can also do well. It's often going to be one or two plays that get you you a majority of the points.

I've played IDP for years, and this is pretty much the perfect response. If anything, I'd add that sometimes you can find an outside LB with DE eligibility. Some players are hybrids, like Terrell Suggs.

Khalil Mack might get that eligibility this year...

3 down linebackers.

Also, certain home state crews are more generous on tackles... buffalo for instance.

Also, look for teams that run alot of plays... SF's defense is going to be on the field alot.

Don't worry about IDPS. In a 12 team league go after young WRs and RBs. I wouldn't touch and IDP until after round 10. I've played and been successful in several IDP leagues for many years, mostly 14-16 teamers. You can always get solid IDPs on waivers as there is more turnover and scheme changes affecting player production than on the offense side of the ball. Footballguys Jene Bramel is a pretty good resource for redraft and dynasty rankings.

If your league is tackle heavy you generally want to target 4-3 MLBs,WLBs, and 3-4 ILBs that have a 3 down role. Some leagues require to start each position i.e. LB, CB, S, DE,DT while others lump in all DL and DBs together. I'd say CBs are the least valuable of the bunch. Review top performers in your league from 2015 to see how the IDPs scored. Some leagues include KRs some don't.

Don't worry about IDPS. In a 12 team league go after young WRs and RBs. I wouldn't touch and IDP until after round 10. I've played and been successful in several IDP leagues for many years, mostly 14-16 teamers. You can always get solid IDPs on waivers as there is more turnover and scheme changes affecting player production than on the offense side of the ball. Footballguys Jene Bramel is a pretty good resource for redraft and dynasty rankings.

If your league is tackle heavy you generally want to target 4-3 MLBs,WLBs, and 3-4 ILBs that have a 3 down role. Some leagues require to start each position i.e. LB, CB, S, DE,DT while others lump in all DL and DBs together. I'd say CBs are the least valuable of the bunch. Review top performers in your league from 2015 to see how the IDPs scored. Some leagues include KRs some don't.

I play in a 18 teamer, and would agree with this for the most part. It's still gonna be an offensive mind set. That's your bread and butter, and that's where your gonna win. But I do believe it's important to get a quality DE and LB. If you get a top guy t those 2 postions, you can just start them week in and week out, and never have any starting lineup, or waiver wire worries.

But I definitely agree with the rest of the defense. Your backup DL, LB and your whole DB roster can be plug and play guys. Wait as long as you feel necessary to grab them.

He turned my playoff team into a juggernaut last year

By the end of this season people will be calling Mack the best defensive player in football, mark my words. I like how people lament how Houston passed on Derek Carr, when in reality they should be talking about them passing on Khalil Mack LOL

By the end of this season people will be calling Mack the best defensive player in football, mark my words. I like how people lament how Houston passed on Derek Carr, when in reality they should be talking about them passing on Khalil Mack LOL

I love me some Khalil, but I have to do what's right for my fantasy team. Because of how he helped me steam roll my opponents his value is probably even more inflated in our league, especially since there is a Raiders fan in our league who I beat for the ship. Because of this I am throwing Khalil Mack out as the first player in my first ever real auction.

Defensive players really aren't all that valuable unless someone has one of the top two guys. Still, it seems that guy comes from a later pick. If people are shy about spending on defense I may get a deal on him. If they love him like I believe, he should go for a lot of cap space.

I love me some Khalil, but I have to do what's right for my fantasy team. Because of how he helped me steam roll my opponents his value is probably even more inflated in our league, especially since there is a Raiders fan in our league who I beat for the ship. Because of this I am throwing Khalil Mack out as the first player in my first ever real auction.

Defensive players really aren't all that valuable unless someone has one of the top two guys. Still, it seems that guy comes from a later pick. If people are shy about spending on defense I may get a deal on him. If they love him like I believe, he should go for a lot of cap space.

I'm in the same boat. 18 team, contract/salary, auction league. Khalil Mack happens to be available and I need a starting DL.

16 Patriot fans, me and a Raider fan. I'm thinking Mr. Raider breaks the bank and I don't even get close.

If a linebacker drops into coverage a lot he may not be quite as valuable as you think in fantasy

Be mindful of coaching changes in this regard. I traded for DE Mario Williams after he had 12.5 sacks in 2014. Enter Rex Ryan and Williams stats went into the garbage as he was asked to drop into coverage on a 3rd of his snaps.

What makes Mack great is his game against the run. As a DE in the Raiders 5-2 defense he should rack up a shite ton of tackles too.

You pick IDP at the end of a snake draft just like team D/ST... only kicker is a lower priority. Good IDP will sprout up in unexpected places and be available via waivers.