Sign in to follow this  
Mike Honcho

Trump threatens China with new tariffs on another $200 billion of goods

CNN

President Donald Trump just raised the stakes in the fight with China over trade.

The White House said Monday evening that if China goes through with its promise to retaliate against the US tariffs announced last week, the United States will impose tariffs on an additional $200 billion worth of Chinese goods.

"Further action must be taken to encourage China to change its unfair practices, open its market to United States goods, and accept a more balanced trade relationship with the United States," Trump said in a statement.

The Trump administration said Friday that it will impose a 25% tariff on $50 billion of Chinese exports. China, claiming the United States had "launched a trade war," retaliated almost immediately, outlining its own tariffs on US goods worth $50 billion.

The escalating conflict between the world's two largest economies has rattled markets and companies, which fear disruption to their global supply chains.

Usually this would be a pretty big story...

Do you agree there's a massive trade imbalance? How would you resolve it?

Yes there is a massive trade imbalance, so??? We don't make the goods(small electronics) that is causing the products imbalance. A trade imbalance isn't the metric in deciding how well a country is doing and not remotely a sky is falling scenario like President Trump suggests. Finally, tariffs have never been shown to be an effective way of rectifying a trade imbalance. Going to hurt more than it helps.

I know nothing about this stuff so I’ll just watch while the Trumpeteers come in saying how this is awesome and great news and winning etc. Or if it gets rescinded or changed I’ll watch them say how it was bad and Obama made him do it and he didn’t want to or something.

Honestly I trust Don to make good business moves that may seem odd at first but have an appeal down the road. He’s a businessman after all, that’s what he does.

Yes there is a massive trade imbalance, so??? We don't make the goods(small electronics) that is causing the products imbalance. A trade imbalance isn't the metric in deciding how well a country is doing and not remotely a sky is falling scenario like President Trump suggests. Finally, tariffs have never been shown to be an effective way of rectifying a trade imbalance. Going to hurt more than it helps.

Long term, tarrifs would hurt. Hopefully this forces China to balance better on their end

I know nothing about this stuff so Ill just watch while the Trumpeteers come in saying how this is awesome and great news and winning etc. Or if it gets rescinded or changed Ill watch them say how it was bad and Obama made him do it and he didnt want to or something.

Honestly I trust Don to make good business moves that may seem odd at first but have an appeal down the road. Hes a businessman after all, thats what he does.

I'll watch while TDS sufferers scream the sky is falling over every move he makes while in the real world things are going great.

Good to see Trump cause chaos on multiple fronts. Right now CNN is gonna stick with the meat & potatoes controversy so this one will have to fall to the side.

I know nothing about this stuff so Ill just watch while the Trumpeteers come in saying how this is awesome and great news and winning etc. Or if it gets rescinded or changed Ill watch them say how it was bad and Obama made him do it and he didnt want to or something.

Honestly I trust Don to make good business moves that may seem odd at first but have an appeal down the road. Hes a businessman after all, thats what he does.

He is a real estate guy. His overall business acumen is questionable. H cannot just not pay like he has in his businesses...he cannot just declare bankruptcy as he has in his businesses.

Thus far his actions on this topic are hurting our own producers more than anything.

Pence and many higher ups in the current administration are free trade. I think this is a negotiation tactic and there is a good chance that any tarrif's are rescinded.

I'll watch while TDS sufferers scream the sky is falling over every move he makes while in the real world things are going great.

You all are the TDS sufferers.

Going great?

Read more...quit being uninformed.

Finally, tariffs have never been shown to be an effective way of rectifying a trade imbalance. Going to hurt more than it helps.

Totally untrue.

The biggest purchaser of Chinese goods is the US Government, hurts them way more,

And for the kids scoring at home, Trump's ridiculous and petty little fits that are usually uninformed and poorly executed have resulted as of today, and the Dow losing any of the games it's made in the first half of this year. Yes folks, jump in your way back machines. It's 2017.

On the bright side, Trump did save thousands of Chinese jobs at ZTE. This coming week after China donated half a billion dollars yes that's billion with a B folks! Half a billion dollars to the latest Trump shithole in Indonesia or God knows where.

MACA.

Pure art of the deal negotiating tactic: Trump will let the kids out of cages once China reduces tariffs on US goods, or something.

:thumbsup:

On the bright side, Trump did save thousands of Chinese jobs at ZTE. This coming week after China donated half a billion dollars yes that's billion with a B folks! Half a billion dollars to the latest Trump shithole in Indonesia or God ###### knows where.

MACA.

Thankfully congress moved the block the ZTE deal.

I know nothing about this stuff

Neither does anyone else around here....hth

Honcho has made the only relevant point when he says historically tarrifs are not an effective way to correct a trade imbalance.

Every country that has a trade surplus with us has tariffs on our goods.

Pure art of the deal negotiating tactic: Trump will let the kids out of cages once China reduces tariffs on US goods, or something.

MCGA

If Trump were really worried about competing with the Chinese, he would have the kids in the cages start assembling iPhones.

If Trump were really worried about competing with the Chinese, he would have the kids in the cages start assembling iPhones.

We'll get there. Rome wasn't built in a day. :lol: We gotta capture more illegals. Then we will be able to pump out those iPhones.

We'll get there. Rome wasn't built in a day. :lol: We gotta capture more illegals. Then we will be able to pump out those iPhones.

iLegals.

• Like 3

Sum Ting Wong

Do you agree there's a massive trade imbalance? How would you resolve it?

For one, people need to be willing to pay more for American made goods. If no suitable American-made product exists, it doesn't really make sense to penalize the country who produces it. But most of all, we need to cut back on consumerism, period.

What do you expect tariffs to accomplish?

For one, people need to be willing to pay more for American made goods. If no suitable American-made product exists, it doesn't really make sense to penalize the country who produces it. But most of all, we need to cut back on consumerism, period.

What do you expect tariffs to accomplish?

Increasing prices that are passed along to our producers and our consumers.

Sometimes you have to let them know you're there.

Trump is kicking Xi's ass all over the place. The SHANGHAI SE COMPOSITE INDEX is down over 25% since January. His tariffs are doing nothing to our markets. We shake his bullshit off after a day or 2. I'll guess China's rich elite are starting to get a little pissed at their leader.

Trump is kicking Xi's ass all over the place. The SHANGHAI SE COMPOSITE INDEX is down over 25% since January. His tariffs are doing nothing to our markets. We shake his bullshit off after a day or 2. I'll guess China's rich elite are starting to get a little pissed at their leader.

There is no mechanism for the Chinese to stop producing. They must, or their system dies. Even when there is no market, they still must produce. All Trump has to do is wait them out, much like Reagan did to the Soviets in the cold war. It's nice having a man in the WH.

• Like 1

More ass kicking by Trump. Those free market rookies are no match for the Trumpster.

Chinese exporters of tools, lighting and appliances say U.S. orders have shrunk as customers wait to see what will happen to prices.

Ningbo Top East Technology Co., which makes soldering irons in Ningbo, south of Shanghai, used to export 30 percent of its output to the United States, according to its general manager, Tong Feibing. He said American orders have fallen 30 to 50 percent compared with a year ago.

The company wants customers to split the cost of the tariff hike, but few are willing, said Tong.

"There is a chance the company will lose money and might go bankrupt," said Tong. "I will do whatever I can, including layoffs."

We can get soldering irons made by someone else cheaper, bitches.

I wish we demanded better quality out of our products. It's sad to see how reliant we are on all this junk.

Amen. Sadly, Americans love to shop, and would rather buy 3 low quality items for the price of 1 high quality item just because it got us out of the house 3 times.

• Like 1

There is no mechanism for the Chinese to stop producing. They must, or their system dies. Even when there is no market, they still must produce. All Trump has to do is wait them out, much like Reagan did to the Soviets in the cold war. It's nice having a man in the WH.

This is true. They actually build buildings they dont even need yet, just to keep the migrant construction workers employed.

I'll see what becomes more expensive the next time I go to Walmart.

I'll see what becomes more expensive the next time I go to Walmart.

Maybe nothing. Walmart's contracts are locked in. Vendors have to eat fluctuations in manufacturing.

I'm glad this thread came up today. I just finished my last can of a Belgian beer called Hoegaarden (white). Cans were all dinged up, battered, some the pop-top barely opened. I paid 1.5 yuan for each of these cans... about 30 cents per can.

As I've been drinking these beers for the last couple of weeks, I've been wondering what chain of events must have transpired such that banged up cans of Belgian beer reached a Walmart in a Bumfock, China and got sold for 30 cents.

Hoegaarden White is pretty good beer by the way, sure as hell worth a lot more than what I paid for it.

I'm glad this thread came up today. I just finished my last can of a Belgian beer called Hoegaarden (white). Cans were all dinged up, battered, some the pop-top barely opened. I paid 1.5 yuan for each of these cans... about 30 cents per can.

As I've been drinking these beers for the last couple of weeks, I've been wondering what chain of events must have transpired such that banged up cans of Belgian beer reached a Walmart in a Bumfock, China and got sold for 30 cents.

Hoegaarden White is pretty good beer by the way, sure as hell worth a lot more than what I paid for it.

Sort of a cross thread - I love hefeweizens too but if youre legit trying to lose weight thats pretty much the worst type of beer to drink. Theyre usually 250+ calories per.

It's a decent beer but just another InBev product like Bud Light.

Sort of a cross thread - I love hefeweizens too but if youre legit trying to lose weight thats pretty much the worst type of beer to drink. Theyre usually 250+ calories per.

I thought IPAs were the worst? The extra hops go straight to the gut and

I don't know about hefeweizens per se, but my wife told me the same thing. I don't drink very much, why am I drinking this when I'm trying to lose weight?

Well, because it's a good beer and I'll never see this price again.

My weight loss goal is always 175 lbs but what invariably happens is I hit 193 and I get stuck and I stop losing weight and I get disappointed and I give up. I'm losing weight steadily despite this, I just the other day hit 199.9 which is a pretty awesome number, although 200.3 today, so some fluctuation but the general trend is down, down, down. Each week is better than the last.

Since I'm not plateauing, since the weight is coming off, I'm really in the frame of mind right now to really grind out gains. If I were at 193 trying all out to get to 192, something I've failed at twice now, let alone whatever battle it takes to hit 175 if I'm lucky, I woudn't be drinking this stuff.

With the weight coming off steadily right now, I'm not in all out war.

I don't know about hefeweizens per se, but my wife told me the same thing. I don't drink very much, why am I drinking this when I'm trying to lose weight?

Well, because it's a good beer and I'll never see this price again.

My weight loss goal is always 175 lbs but what invariably happens is I hit 193 and I get stuck and I stop losing weight and I get disappointed and I give up. I'm losing weight steadily despite this, I just the other day hit 199.9 which is a pretty awesome number, although 200.3 today, so some fluctuation but the general trend is down, down, down. Each week is better than the last.

Since I'm not plateauing, since the weight is coming off, I'm really in the frame of mind right now to really grind out gains. If I were at 193 trying all out to get to 192, something I've failed at twice now, let alone whatever battle it takes to hit 175 if I'm lucky, I woudn't be drinking this stuff.

With the weight coming off steadily right now, I'm not in all out war.

Okay I only mention it cause I love that style of beer but stopped drinking them because they are 2-3 times the calories of a light beer. I am a pretty regular drinker though.