Sign in to follow this  
cmh6476

Let's talk rules

I'm posting stuff from an old thread at danzone. If any guys that have played before want to add stuff feel free. If newbies have questions ask away.

26 round draft, 2 round supplemental draft

A player must have at least one MLB AB or IP for a specific team to be eligible to draft that player.

Then you have guys that have played for only your team and maybe a team that is not represented in the league. Say there is a guy that played for only the Royals and D-Rays. Since the D-Rays are not represented, then that guy becomes an exclusive to me.

You will also see guys drafting out of turn, which is certainly ok and almost preferred. If you see you can make your pick, go ahead and make the selection.

Say for instance I have the 6th pick, the Red Sox have the 10th and the A;s have the last pick. Even though my turn is not yet up, I can take Johnny Damon before the guys ahead of me pick.

We will likely do a supllemental 2-round draft right after the draft for our homer players, where whoever had last pick in the first draft gets 1st pick in the supplemental.

If you go to your team's official site on MLB.com, they have a history archive of every player who has played for them. The player has to have played in at least one game in the majors with that team to be eligible, though there are exceptions, which leads me to a question:

What is the criteria for the exceptions to these rules? Like we all know if a major free agent signed with a new ballclub, he hasn't played with them but he will. I guess we count that as 40-man roster? I'm assuming non-roster invitees aren't eligible since they have little shot of making the team, what about guys who signed minor league contracts?

oh and the SPBC appraoch can be utilized. Only waste one roster spot on your exclusive starters, as you can drop the one starting that day and pickup the guy starting the next day

Scoring Type: Head-to-Head

Player Universe: All baseball

Max Moves: No maximum

Max Trades: No maximum

Trade Reject Time: 2

Trade End Date: August 27, 2006

Waiver Time: No waivers

Can't Cut List Provider: None

Trade Review: League Votes

Post Draft Players: Follow Waiver Rules

Min Innings Pitched:

Weekly Deadline: Daily - Tomorrow

Start Scoring on: Week 1

Roster Positions: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, Util, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL, DL, DL

Stat Categories: R, 1B, 2B, 3B, HR, RBI, SB, BB, E, W, L, CG, SHO, SV, K, HLD, ERA, WHIP

How are positions handled? What if a guy played primarily one position for my team, but played primarily another position for another? The example that comes to mind is Marco Scutaro, primarily a SS for the Sox, is apparently going to play primarily 2B for the Rockies, and has played multiple positions over his career.

How are positions handled? What if a guy played primarily one position for my team, but played primarily another position for another? The example that comes to mind is Marco Scutaro, primarily a SS for the Sox, is apparently going to play primarily 2B for the Rockies, and has played multiple positions over his career.

It will be handled with however Yahoo lists the players... Once the position player gets 5 starts (or 10 appearances) at a new position, they become eligible at that position for the rest of the year...

The draft was 28 rounds, not 24...

And there was a one or two round supplemental after the draft was completed...

And this...

A player must have at least one MLB AB or IP for a specific team to be eligible to draft that player.

is not entirely true... If that is the case, the Angels can't have Pujols, the Tigers can't have Fielder, etc...

And this...

is not entirely true... If that is the case, the Angels can't have Pujols, the Tigers can't have Fielder, etc...

i believe i read a few times in the other thread something about raul mondesi... a free agent signing is handled as if he is set to play for his new team.

the 1AB or IP comes into play with players who were on one teams farm system and traded before making a big league appearance.

do we submit a list of players who will be exclusive to our teams for review or do we still have to draft them later in the draft?

And this...

true, if there is a player that has been invited to camp with a big league team you are able to draft that player as well. Should the player not make the 40-man roster then you have to drop the player and are not able to use him, even if he were to sign with another team later in the year.

do we submit a list of players who will be exclusive to our teams for review or do we still have to draft them later in the draft?

we'll make threads for all 26 rounds of the regular draft (actually 28 roster spots, but two spots will be filled via the supplemental draft).

Then in round 26 I would make my pick:

26.1 Eric Hosmer, 1B, KC

25.16 Mike Moustakas, 3B, KC

24.1 Billy Butler, 1B, KC

you keep going backwards filling in picks with your exclusive players

i believe i read a few times in the other thread something about raul mondesi... a free agent signing is handled as if he is set to play for his new team.

the 1AB or IP comes into play with players who were on one teams farm system and traded before making a big league appearance.

2 years ago it was if a player is assumed to play on the new team due to a trade or a free-agent signing then he is eligible for that team. Lance Berkman for the Cardinals last year would have been eligible for the Astros, Yankees, and Cardinals even though he had not yet played an innning for the Cardinals.

I assuem this is still true this year with the exception of Pujols. He is only eligible for the Cardinals. :ninja:

2 years ago it was if a player is assumed to play on the new team due to a trade or a free-agent signing then he is eligible for that team. Lance Berkman for the Cardinals last year would have been eligible for the Astros, Yankees, and Cardinals even though he had not yet played an innning for the Cardinals.

I assuem this is still true this year with the exception of Pujols. He is only eligible for the Cardinals. :ninja:

:nono:

we'll make threads for all 26 rounds of the regular draft (actually 28 roster spots, but two spots will be filled via the supplemental draft).

Then in round 26 I would make my pick:

26.1 Eric Hosmer, 1B, KC

25.16 Mike Moustakas, 3B, KC

24.1 Billy Butler, 1B, KC

you keep going backwards filling in picks with your exclusive players

Actually there were 28 rounds and then the supplemental one round draft that was used to then replace players that were fringe players...

Check out the last two rounds (27/28) from 2009...

http://www.thedanzone.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=46322

Then the supplemental draft...

http://www.thedanzone.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=46391

And then the All-Star break supplemental draft...

http://www.thedanzone.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=46519

How are guys that are primarily DHs classified? Can i use them in the Utility spot?

you can use them in whatever position yahoo allows you to use them. Any player, including those that are only eligible in the utility position can be used in the utility position.

is the league set up yet on yahoo? i'd like to see how yahoo lists certain players position eligibility

is the league set up yet on yahoo? i'd like to see how yahoo lists certain players position eligibility

it is now

Couple of questions...

1) A bench player can be either a pitcher or a position player, correct?

2) Are here any limits to how many of each i can have on my bench? IOW, i could have all pitchers if i chose? Or all position players?

3) Will we be allowed to make roster moves during the season, if say a minor leaguer is brought up? IOW, if i have a guy like Ryan Lavarnway who probably wont make the big league team out of ST, i dont need to draft him now do i? I can carry someone else until he is brought up and then drop/add?

All correct. No bench restrictions. Open ww for eligible players.

Moar n00b kweshuns.....

1) If a player is listed on the Yahoo site as a Utility player (David Ortiz), can i only use him in the utility spot of my lineup?

2) If i start a player at a position, for example Adrian Gonzales at first base, and in real life Gonzo DH's that day, do i still get credit for what he does offensively?

1) If a player is listed on the Yahoo site as a Utility player (David Ortiz), can i only use him in the utility spot of my lineup?

Yes... Yahoo will only allow him to play in the UTIL spot until he gains eligibility at any position, which is five starts OR ten appearances...

2) If i start a player at a position, for example Adrian Gonzales at first base, and in real life Gonzo DH's that day, do i still get credit for what he does offensively?

Yes...

I see there is a minimum of 25 IP per week for my pitching staff, with pretty severe penalties for not reaching that minimum....is there any similar playing time minimum for position players? If a guy gets hurt, and i dont have a replacement for him, and am forced to play with a position empty, is there a penalty beyond not gaining stats?

I see there is a minimum of 25 IP per week for my pitching staff, with pretty severe penalties for not reaching that minimum....is there any similar playing time minimum for position players? If a guy gets hurt, and i dont have a replacement for him, and am forced to play with a position empty, is there a penalty beyond not gaining stats?

no

Players that are my exclusives can be drop/added as much as i want correct?

Yes. Players you drafted in the supplemental who are not Boston eligible though are lost if you drop them (I believe).

Correct.

Lester, Masterson, Buchholz, Arroyo are all guys you can drop and add to get the most out of your SP for example. If Crawford is going to stay in extended ST for a bit you could drop him and add his replacement to the roster.

Correct.

If Crawford is going to stay in extended ST for a bit you could drop him and add his replacement to the roster.

I would but im afraid 29Guests will steal him. :banana:

Seriously though, how many DL spots will we have? And whatever the number is, i would like to go ahead and start my lobbying for twice that many. Jesus f*ck my team is falling down around me.

I would but im afraid 29Guests will steal him. :banana:

Seriously though, how many DL spots will we have? And whatever the number is, i would like to go ahead and start my lobbying for twice that many. Jesus f*ck my team is falling down around me.

We have 2 DL spots.

We have 2 DL spots.

I dont think that is right. I currently have three players whose roster spot is listed as DL (Not BN)

I dont think that is right. I currently have three players whose roster spot is listed as DL (Not BN)

Really? We always had 2 DL spots before...

Really? We always had 2 DL spots before...

Pretty sure it was 3.

Pretty sure it was 3.

I could really use 8. I think its 2 though, cuz yesterday i tried to do some roster manipulation and it gaqve me hell about having too many guys rostered or something. Basically i think that Royals guy is abusing his commish powers. :)

Im losing to the Astros guy. THE ASTROS GUY!!!!!

• Like 1

How many starts does a pitcher have to make before he is listed as a SP instead of a RP (Doubront and Bard)?

Pitchers need to make three starts to become eligible as a starter and five relief appearances to qualify as a reliever...

So roster-management-wise, does anything go after the draft is over, or can you only ever have guys who played for your home team?

Also, I assume trading of picks is strictly off limits, since it would screw the hell out of guys picking ahead of time. Right?

So roster-management-wise, does anything go after the draft is over, or can you only ever have guys who played for your home team?

Also, I assume trading of picks is strictly off limits, since it would screw the hell out of guys picking ahead of time. Right?

Trading of picks in the regular draft is forbidden (supplemental draft you can though). And the same rules of the regular draft apply during the regular season: you can only pick-up players that have played for your team for 1 AB or 1 IP in their careers. This also means if you have a player that is strictly exclusive to your team that you can drop them and pick them up at will all season long.

For the supplemental draft, any player you draft that wouldn't normally be available to your team, if you drop them during the season you will be unable to pick them back up.

Ex: I draft Derek Jeter in the Supplemental Draft. Jeter would normally be unavailable to the Tigers. If I droppped him during the season, I would NOT be allowed to pick him back up.

Also should add that you can make any kinds of trades during the sseason but if you aquire a player who has never played for your team, you cant drop them or you lose their rights. Just like any supplemental picks

Also should add that you can make any kinds of trades during the sseason but if you aquire a player who has never played for your team, you cant drop them or you lose their rights. Just like any supplemental picks

Wait now...I feel like I'm getting conflicting info here.

So just for argument's sake, let's take Ryan Braun, Prince Fielder, and Albert Pujols.

As Brewers/Braun owner, can I legally trade Bruan for only one of those guys, or either of them?