Sign in to follow this  
BunnysBastatrds

Good Friends Son Jumped

When I was a teenager, I remember thinking the joy of life simply doesn't outweigh all the stress and BS. When I was in my 20's and 30's I still felt that way. And now I'm in my 40's married with a kid.... and I still believe that. Not a depression thing, just a logical pros vs cons thing. I think that's true for most people, yet nobody admits it.

This kid saved himself a lot of stress and BS. Good for him. :)

Dude... seriously get help. Thats no way to go through life.

This is how my wife thinks and it bugs me. Saving everything for retirement. I get that, but I want to enjoy life NOW too...I don't know how long it will last.

Easiest way to do that is get the house paid off. It makes life so much easier.

Dude... seriously get help. Thats no way to go through life.

This. :thumbsup:

Many people don't understand depression. I know that I don't. I have had friends who have committed suicide who I thought had no issues and that things were going great. However, in their minds, it wasn't that way.

As much as it may be their "wish" to end their life, many times these thoughts are short and fleeting. As such, it is important to take the impulse out of the act and try to get them help because what they leave behind is a lot of heartache.

When I was a teenager, I remember thinking the joy of life simply doesn't outweigh all the stress and BS. When I was in my 20's and 30's I still felt that way. And now I'm in my 40's married with a kid.... and I still believe that. Not a depression thing, just a logical pros vs cons thing. I think that's true for most people, yet nobody admits it.

I can see why someone as mentally fragile as this thinks that firearms should be banned.

• Like 1

Uh, I cannot overstate how mentally ill that statement sounds.

This is how my wife thinks and it bugs me. Saving everything for retirement. I get that, but I want to enjoy life NOW too...I don't know how long it will last.

I became semi-retired as of May 1st(sold my main business because I was burnt out from the stress etc.) and can tell you when I was a younger man the mrs and I spent freely enjoying life while we were young enough to do so.I paid to play then and now have to watch my spending but looking back I wouldn't change it.

As to your last statement,life can change in a flash,my mrs was diagnosed with RA about 12 years ago and is now fully disabled and would rather not travel,do things etc. one more reason I'm so glad we lived life to the fullest when we could.

Best of luck.

The nature of depression often has nothing to do with one's external circumstances. I had a girlfriend (34B) in med school with depression - beautiful, smart and otherwise healthy. Aside from dating me, she seemed to have everything going for her. Sure med school is stressful, but everyone deals with stress on a daily basis in one way or another. But she didn't see things that way. No matter how well she did or how things were going, she described a dark cloud hanging over her.

Without obvious provocation, she attempted suicide and was involuntarily hospitalized. She was treated and released, and as far as I know, is currently a practicing physician, successful by most people's standards. I'd be surprised if she doesn't still struggle with depression, however.

I'll ask again, is a lifetime of depression associated with less suffering than a terminal illness like cancer? At what point does the dark cloud become unbearable?

Also, what are the circumstances for the person/people you know who should have committed suicide?

I can understand how a deep, lasting depression could drive one to suicide. I've never dealt with it but I realize a lot of people do and I don't consider it to be trivial. I'm not advocating suicide, for any reason.

The "people who never attempted suicide but should have" line was a joke. I know some pretty shitty people who have never amounted to much. They have failed as husbands and fathers. They suck off the system and contribute nothing of value to society. Yet, they've never contemplated suicide.

They suck off the system and contribute nothing of value to society. Yet, they've never contemplated suicide.

Nor will they IMO,it's the stress of holding a job,providing for a family,escalating healthcare,etc. etc. that bogs people down who are trying their best to contribute.I have no facts to back this up but some of the losers I've met are the most carefree people in the world.

Nor will they IMO,it's the stress of holding a job,providing for a family,escalating healthcare,etc. etc. that bogs people down who are trying their best to contribute.I have no facts to back this up but some of the losers I've met are the most carefree people in the world.

That makes sense. I can see how not having to deal with the daily grind of life could lead to less stress but I would think that, at some point, relying on society for your very existence would lead any normal person to feel depressed or guilty.

Clinical depression as with all mental illnesses is a disease. And with it is anxiety, they go hand in hand. MI is treatable but when you are sunk that low it's difficult to overcome. That's why along with meds and therapy there needs to be good support to keep him going. And by support I mean loving support, not parents dragging you by pthe ear into therapy.

The world was scary when I was a kid, it's worse now. To say ok for mentally ill kid to off himself or adult is cruel. To that person it is cancer, he's being eaten alive in his mind..

• Like 1

That makes sense. I can see how not having to deal with the daily grind of life could lead to less stress but I would think that, at some point, relying on society for your very existence would lead any normal person to feel depressed or guilty.

Therein lies the key word,the losers I'm referring to are not normal,they have no problems lying,cheating,stealing,doing whatever it takes to get by.

Wife and I have a pretty good balance. Saving plenty for retirement, but p!ssing away a ton on things that are stupid (financially), but fun.

I would say I am in the same boat. My wife worries about retirement when we take vacations etc, but I know we are in a good spot for retiring.

We both would like to downsize our house. 5 br. 3.5 bath, finished basement. We have three people (and two dogs) in the house.

Yeah, I mean, if time is infinite in both directions, then our lifespans literally go to zero. May as well hang out. Maybe something good will come on TV. :dunno:

Wait a second though, if it's infinite going backwards, then how did we ever get to this point? :o

Boy I have never felt that way. I love life, it's all we get. I am not a believer in God and feel once we are done, that's it. So I want to enjoy my time here. THere are so many wonderful things in life..Sure there are sad and depressing ones too, but I don't want it to end.

Exactly how I feel.

I think the mistake too many of us make, especially in America, is selling too much of our lives in the pursuit of sh!t that really doesnt make you any happier. Bigger house you dont need, fancy car that doesnt do anything a cheaper car does, designer clothes and trinkets and toys.

And it seems like nobody really has passions anymore. Or even much of a social life. Back in the day it was bowling league and elk club and this and fishing on weekends and whatever. Now everyone just works, watches Netflix, and shambles from chain restaraunt to big box store to buy more sh!t to stuff in their house.

At least thats how I felt when I was doing married suburban American life. It just all seemed so focking pointless and boring.

This too. While I make a good living, I don't spend that much money, and cut down to part time.

Amen. We have three major assets in life: health, time and money. They are all interrelated, of course, but people way overvalue $ to the detriment of the other two. I never understood the idea of killing oneself at work to "enjoy" retirement when your health in old age will likely limit the activities you can partake in. Enjoy life along the way, because you never know when it will be taken away from you.

• Like 1

Yeah, I mean, if time is infinite in both directions, then our lifespans literally go to zero. May as well hang out. Maybe something good will come on TV. :dunno:

Wait a second though, if it's infinite going backwards, then how did we ever get to this point? :o

Daylight savings time.

Thought he meant jumped like mugged and beaten up. Swan dive off a building, he was unbalanced anyway, nothing could stop him from meeting his doom one way or another. Sad.

Damn Bun, I wish I had knew what to say. That is just tragic. My thoughts and prayers for you and your friend.

Look who’s back.

It's like being forced to play Bridge - then sucking at Bridge - Then Walking Away - Then people are like "HA you suck at bridge! Quitter!"

Yeah, you're right. Never wanted to play focking bridge in the first place.

So yeah, I'm a failure at something I never wanted to do, never asked to do in the first place.

What the fock is it to you?

Sometimes, it just isn't worth the struggle.

sorry bb.

so challenging working with depressive adolescents. as mentioned earlier they are still learning about their emotions. some of them are due to new experiences and are very intense. they do not have the life experience to know that the event and feelings will pass and lessen. pair that with their impassivity and they become very high risk.

Daylight savings time.

I knew there had to be a reason for it. <_<