Sign in to follow this  
jdon

trade Calvin Johnson in a dynasty league?

I have calvin, Djax, Welker (ugh), Baldwin, Dobson, and Gibson.

we start 3 wideouts.

Keep 22 players each year.

I was offered Jordy nelson and Kendall Wright for Calvin.

I wouldn't do it in a redraft, but considering Wright's upside I am thinking about it.

Would you do it? and why?

I really need some someone to talk me off the ledge, or urge me to let it go and roll the dice on the trade.

jdon

That's a really hard one. All I've managed to do is waffle back and forth with you.

My first thought was to default to keeping Megatron. Maybe it comes down to your WR 2 and 3. Let's try math:

Megatron + WR2 + WR3 > Nelson + Wright + WR2

We can subtract your WR2 from both sides:

Megatron + WR3 > Nelson + Wright

So actually it comes down to your WR3. Assumning your WR2 is DJax, and with Welker on concussion protocol again, I guess you're talking about... Baldwin? Assuming Harvin stays healthy, Baldwin is the second WR on a run-first team with the best D in the league, meaning they won't likely be in shoot-out mode often. That's pretty ugly.

When I put it that way, maybe the trade does make sense.

First, I am a huge Jordy Nelson fan this year. I think he has the potential to lead the league in yards and TD's this year. He's not the best WR in the game, but he's in an offense that should give him every opportunity to get a ton of yards & TD's.

Kendall Wright is in a great offense that will utilize his skills. He should come close to getting 100 catches this year. The fear with Wright is Locker's health. He needs Locker to stay healthy. I think Justin Hunter could have a huge year, but he has the opposite skill set of Wright, so he's a perfect compliment. The problem with Wright is TD's. Last year he caught 2 TD's all year. 94 catches, 2 TD's. That is just bad!

Calvin is the best of the best. He's only 28 years old, so he has a good 5-7 years of dominance left. He's a lock for 1400 yards and 10 TD's. It gets no better.

So it comes down to the line-up you can field with/without the trade.

With: Calvin, DJax, Baldwin

W/O: Jordy, DJax, Wright

I think for weekly points you are better off making the trade. The real issue is you lack of depth at the WR position. If you had one/two better WR's on your bench you would be sitting much better! With Welker's latest concussion, he may retire? The other three players don't do anything for me. Getting Nelson and Wright you get two established guys and gives you a better weekly line-up over keeping Calvin. Jordy is a year older than Calvin, but as long as both stay healthy, they should compete stat wise year in and year out.

I would either make the trade or fish around for another deal. You have to get better depth for now and going forward. Benjamin, Matthews, Cooks, Evans....you need to grab one of the young promising WR studs to set yourself up in the future.

Bottom line, I don't like trading Calvin, however, you need better depth and Jordy/Kendall gives you more depth. Reluctantly, I would say make the trade.

I agree about making the trade. I can't really offer any more insight than what was already said but I agree it should work out well for you.

Don't do the trade CJ is elite... he is tier 1... tier 2 bunch of other guys. Jordy is tier 3 close tier 2.

Just get Den WR like Cody Latimer or whoever becomes 3 WR... remember Manning inflates anyones value. That way if Welker is out you get solid backup.

If healthy I like Welker. Get rid of Dobson I think Thompkins NE WR to have... you even have LaFell there. Can I see your ww? Who is Gibson you want him as a keeper? Bright side Percy Harvin is often injured guess, who is next man up with 2 competitors gone?

I think your solid at WR CJ is elite I wouldn't worry too much VJax is no joke... getting Mike Evans might help out core rather lower 2 WRs. Can I see your ww and full roster?

I wouldn't consider doing this. When considering trading Calvin Johnson, Kendall Wright would not be a selling point to me. He is a slot WR on a team with a poor QB. Jordy can be good but he is also somewhat a product of the Green Bay system. His numbers go way down, like expected, with Rodgers out and he puts up his best numbers when their other WRs are out. In other words not reliable. This isn't close don't do this one.

Don't listen to the logic that you should drastically downgrade your WR1 to slightly upgrade your WR3.

Thanks guys...

my full team is

Brees, Cutler

ADP, Stacy, Mcfadden, Sproles, J. Stewart, and bums

all the recievers plus Mccluster and AJ Jenkins

Olsen, Clay, D. Allen,

No kicker

Baltimore...

I have the 2.08 and 2.09 picks in our draft next weekend and am targetting landry/allen robinson/maybe bortles cause I love him...

I appreciate the advice and have come to the conclussion that the trade wouldn't hurt me and is fair, but I am going about this all wrong; I have a wide reciever three problem and I am trying to solve it with my best player...

I turned down the trade and am praying a wide reciever 3 opens up...