Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

++ June PPR: Rounds 7 - 8 Commentary ++

Nope, I just like Olsen better. Believe me I would have grabbed Davis had Olsen been picked in front of me. He's not gonna hold out but he might whine quite a bit as is his nature. He has Crabtree back for the full year, and Boldin back for his second with the young Qb, along with the addition of a new guy. Crabtree and Boldin are spending time with him now while Davis disrupts the preseason with Davis like antics. Olsen was just much safer, and I don't feel I've lost much taking him. The only difference I see between the two is a few huge games by Davis and that will be made up for with Olsen's steady contributions. I don't see Davis getting Double digit td's again this year with the supporting cast being at full strength. SF doesn't mess around with contract situations at all.

There were 3 guys that I have with 5th round grades taken in the 7th. Tate, Davis and now Foles. I made it a point to wait on QB this mock and couldn't be happier to get Foles late in the 7th. There are still some other good QB options on the board and I planned on weighting until after the turn (mostly because I didn't think Foles would make it to me) but he's the last in his tier of my QB rankings so I grabbed him now, especially with 2 of the 3 guys on the turn still needing QBs.

I hope SF makes him play his last year.. He will ball out, and thank god Bolden and Crabby are full strength.. Your boy Olsen will be triple teamed with Caro's WR's

I hope SF makes him play his last year.. He will ball out, and thank god Bolden and Crabby are full strength.. Your boy Olsen will be triple teamed with Caro's WR's

The receivers aren't any worse than last year..

still some TEs on the board i really like.

Davis is the kind of guy that no way am I spending a 5th round pick on him. I've seen him go in the 4th as well. When you compare taking Thomas in the 3rd to Davis in the 4th or 5th.... yuck. But to get him in the 7th is some great value.

When i usually wait on TE, it's with Olsen, Reed, ______, ______ in mind. I am generally reserved to the fact that Davis, Cameron and Witten will cost too much for my tastes.

With the exception of Graham (and Gronk on occasion), I've never taken a TE before the fifth either and the last few picks supports that thinking. Olsen and Davis in the seventh is crazy. I am also really liking the Tate and Foles picks. There's a lot of value being had in the seventh.

7.10 With my last pick there were five RBs I liked and only three WRs. Being that this is a start three WR league I thought I had to take a WR and I would just punt at back up RB. I was thrilled that one of the five made it back to me. Despite the stable of RBs in SF, Gore is still the starter in a run first offense behind one of the best lines in the NFL. He is certainly getting up in age, but people have been screaming the wheels are falling off for the last two years and they haven't. He will certainly lose carries this year, but I think that keeps him fresh for the end of the year and he will have more "pep in his step". I figure he's a low end RB2/high end RB3 (which is what I need him for) and to get him at the end of the 7th: That's gold Jerry! Gold!

Yeah I was planning on taking Davis this round if Tate wasn't there, but his hold out does worry me.

You guys devastated my selections as I had Gore, Tate and V. Davis in my sights! All are great value in the 7th round. I even had Foles as an option, but "settled" for Ryan.

I am looking in Best Ball to have 2 top QBs, so will see how this works out.

I actually like Ryan over Foles this year. I have seen too many QB's flop the next year after their 1st good one. Ryan didn't have either of his studs last year. I think Foles takes a step back.

I really wanted RGIII this round even though I already had Rodgers, he could finish as a top 3 QB if healthy and I would've risked that in the 8th. Nice pick Mike.

Well ain't that a . Wanted either Ryan or Griffin. Didn't foresee Robb grabbing a QB which was my fumble. :mad:

seems like there is always one guy who grabs an early QB and then an early backup as well. still plenty of good fantasy QBs though.

Pitta and Rudolph were the other 2 TE's I usually look for in this stage of the draft along with Olsen and Reed.

8.03 Made, in my mind, my first fock up of the draft. I forgot about the "best ball" format and never thought Robb would be taking a back up QB before a back up RB. Thought for sure I'd have either Griffin or Ryan, whichever one Mike didn't take. With that said, I'm not too upset with Brady here. He did post some of the worst numbers of his career last year, but he was without three of his top veteran targets for a large chunk of the season. All three should be back (and at the very least should not all be out at the same time) and the two rookies he was throwing to all have a year under their belt. I doubt he will be the Brady of old, but I expect improvement in all the passing categories and I think he'll finish as a solid starter in a 12 team league.

We actually are doing a Board Mock and the league thing is secondary. It really shouldn't enter your mind as you basically should just draft the best team you can.

We actually are doing a Board Mock and the league thing is secondary. It really shouldn't enter your mind as you basically should just draft the best team you can.

So I didn't forget about the "best ball" format. Which means I didn't fock up. Yea me! :D

With Stafford's potential for injury, having a quality backup is another good reason to have a second QB in tow. We discuss the pro/con of drafting in a Best Ball League in the June Mock also, and it does leave the question unaddressed.

^ The final strategy might def adjust mine a bit though.

I would draft different in a best ball format vs a real league with trades allowed for instance.

as soon as best ball format is mentioned, its going to enter minds. its human nature. the only way to have a true "mock" is to have it only be a mock. I don't think the best ball idea or league idea drastically impacts the draft but there are situations where people are going to maybe draft safe, knowing they cant play the waiver wire.

You mock like its the real, that's the only way to practice. I am never thinking about the stupid waiver wire or being safe or not.

what are you talking about?

A true mock being just a mock.. Doing a league drastically changes things ??? How ? Aren't we competing anyways right now to make for good practice ? Just responding to your point in this being money ball or not.

A true mock being just a mock.. Doing a league drastically changes things ??? How ? Aren't we competing anyways right now to make for good practice ? Just responding to your point in this being money ball or not.

ok. i was having trouble following your train of thought in the multiple posts and double posts.

My point regarding the best ball league impact on the mock is not to say people are not trying to field the best teams but I know personally, in a real draft, I will take some fliers late that might have a 20% chance of working out because if they don't work out, you can drop them and add someone else off waivers. Think Julius Thomas last year, Zac Stacy.... Alfred Morris and Russell Wilson in 2013. Those guys were going in the final rounds or not being drafted at all in June.

But if im drafting for a league where waivers and trades are not an option, I might make some "safer" late rounds picks. Guys who are locked in but maybe don't have high upside.

8.06 - Dwayne Bowe - Good things coming from Chiefs camp on Bowe for about the first time ever. Charges dropped on the possession charge, personal trainer, open communication between he and Reid, and he is the undisputed #1 Wr there. I love the way he finished the season last year opposed to the way it started. They jumped out fast last season on the ground and controlled games with the run early. As the season progressed they had to open it up some and Bowe finished strong, especially in the playoff loss where he went 8-150-1. I'm looking for 70 receptions for 875 yards, and 7 Td's. Charles is a great back to have on your team if your are a receiver.

• Like 1

Nice pick shooter

Thanks, how do you guys feel about him this year? I like him a lot better than his ADP because there will be a ton of touches to go around in Philly, but I haven't actually read anything about him or how he will be used. Usually I'd be worried about someone leaving the Saints but in this case it shouldn't hurt him at all. And yes I know how old he is, but it's not like Sproles is a "real" running back.

Although what I am saying I believe, I am just bored and messing with ya remote .. Can't wait for the season to kick off. So far in this mock everyone seems very competitive.

I like an old Sproles, I don't like an old Bowe on a team that doesn't score much

KC tied for 6th in points scored last year. Hmmmm? 140 more points than those explosive Jets!! ;)

Wow didn't know that... I just owned Bowe in one of my leagues and said never again. He was the best on the board left at your pick

Wow didn't know that... I just owned Bowe in one of my leagues and said never again. He was the best on the board left at your pick

They were sneaky. They got big early leads last year and Charles just ran the games out. They didn't need to pass the first 8 or 9 games. Things changed and most of the passing yards came the last 7 games. (Going on memory here)