Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

**2013 U.S. Open Thread**

The US Open is just a week away...for a few of us, it is one of our favorite sports weekends of the year. For most, probably not, but still a weekend of interest. So, to start off the US Open discussion, I thought I would list my top ten favorties and other possible contenders. Should be a great tournament this year!

Top Ten:

1. Graeme McDowell- The consummate U.S.Open type of player. Accurate...stays out of the rough...can putt under pressure. I think McDowell is going to eventually pick up a second US Open title...this week is as good a week as any.

2. Hunter Mahan- I am fully aware that Mahan was dreadful at the Masters this year, but I've got a hunch about him this week. I think he's been slowly trending up since Augusta and is going to get himself deep into the mix at Merion.

3. Jason Day- Much like McDowell, Day is a grinder and a guy that I think will do very well scrambling at Merion when necessary. Day has been top-3 at the US Open before as well as the Masters and I think he will be again.

4. Matt Kuchar- Kuchar has been the most consistent player in the world over the past five years and should contend at Merion based on recent form. I think he will get in trouble off the tee some, though, which will cost him his first major.

5. Steve Stricker- Stricker is in semi-retirement, and so he'll be extremely fresh for this tournament. The course isn't too long for him and no greens are too tough for him. That's a formula for a top-five finish for this longtime great.

6. Tiger Woods- This is a Par-70 course and even though Woods is having a fantastic year by any standard, he typically doesn't win at Par-70 tracks. I do think he'll contend, but in the end fall a bit short of winning his first major in five years.

7. Matteo Manassero- Europe's rising star gets the benefit of a course that is not long by US Open standards and gives him a chance to show off his amazing short game. Probably won't win this, but will impress, I think.

8. Kevin Chappell- Chappell is coming off back-to-back top ten finishes in the past two US Opens and was solo second at the Memorial last weekend. He plays great when the conditions are the toughest. Expect good things again this year.

9. Jordan Spieth- I know Spieth is green, but he impressed me last year by finishing T-21. He's been playing well all year on the PGA Tour via sponsor's exemptions and I think this will be his best week yet when all is said and done.

10. Ryan Moore- Moore always puts up a few big numbers on his scorecard and that usually kills his chances of winning the biggest tournaments. Still, I think his game is a good fit for Merion and look for him to be in contention sometime on the weekend.

Players outside of the top ten who have a very legitimate shot at winning: Adam Scott, Justin Rose, Lee Westwood, Phil Mickelson, Webb Simpson, Charl Schwartzel, Keegan Bradley, Zach Johnson, Henrik Stenson.

Players who were on fire earlier in the season and could re-kindle that next week: Brandt Snedeker, Dustin Johnson, Billy Horschel, D.A. Points, Kevin Streelman, Russell Henley

Highly ranked players who have been inconsistent in 2013, but have the talent to win: Rory McIlroy, Luke Donald, Louis Oosthuzien, Ian Poulter, Bubba Watson, Ernie Els, Bo Van Pelt, Rickie Fowler.

Darkhorses, but with plenty of game: Sergio Garcia, Jason Dufner, Peter Hanson, Nick Watney, Branden Grace, Bill Haas, Thorbjorn Olesen, Gonzalo Fernandez-Castano, Scott Piercy, Tim Clark, Michael Thompson, Fredrik Jacobson, Marc Leishman, K.J. Choi, John Peterson, John Senden, David Toms, Marcus Fraser, Charley Hoffman, Josh Teater, David Lingmerth.

Other past major winners in the field: Jim Furyk, Martin Kaymer, Paul Lawrie, Angel Cabrera, Michael Campbell, Lucas Glover, Geoff Ogilvy, Stewart Cink, Darren Clarke, Paidrig Harrington, Y.E. Yang, Jose Maria Olazabal.

Arnie's grandson missed a 4" putt that would have put him in the field. Not sure whether he used a belly putter.

You know Woods will be in contention at the open - everyone else you really don't even know if they make the cut. I will go with the one I know will be up there Sunday Morning. Woods still isn't all the way back (as evident by last weekend) but he is still the best golfer in the world on a consistent basis

About Merion, a par-70 that measures just under 7,000 yards: Only two or three holes demand driver off the tee. The rough is absolutely punishing, and there is no real graduated rough. If you miss a fairway, you're in deep, wet lush grass from which there are few options. As for the greens, they are as tricky as greens anywhere, much smaller than Augusta's but with wicked movement, even within six feet of the hole. The greens, the rough and the bunkering are the course's defense.

I'm thinking some of the pure ball strikers (accuracy) and putting will be key at this US Open. Some darkhourses in that category are:

Tim Clark

Zach Johnson

Graeme McDowell

Jim Furyk

It always comes down to putting and if Woods is on there is noone better

Moz...I don't know how you can say that no one else is assured of making the cut. There are a number of top players who are almost as consistent as Woods in that regard.

I'm going with Matteo Manassero. I absolutely love watching the kid play on the Euro Tour. I don't know if he has the distance off the tee to compete over here yet (his driving distance would be 172nd on our tour), but a short par 70 course gives him a shot this week.

Otherwise, sure Tiger is the safest bet to finish on the leaderboard, and thus is the easy pick to win.

The anchored/belly putter has been hot winning every major at least once over the past couple of years. That's a hard trend to ignore.

Adam Scott outduels Tim Clark on the final day to win. Let the Grand Slam hype begin.

I'm thinking some of the pure ball strikers (accuracy) and putting will be key at this US Open. Some darkhourses in that category are:

Tim Clark

Zach Johnson

Graeme McDowell

Jim Furyk

I like Clark and Furyk as "dark horses".

I don't consider GMac or Zach Johnson dark horses at all. both have been playing pretty well the last 1.5-2 years.

I guess I could see an argument for Zach Johnson, at 30th in the world, he is behind Furyk but GMac is 8th in the world.

Seems to be said every year, but this year it really is true. The 2013 US Open will be special and so unlike many we've seen in the past. The main reason, famed Merion itself. What an incredible venue this is - a stranger to most, so glad to see the USGA revisit this site. It's also nice to see the competition committee finally grasp the concept that a course doesn't have to be 7600 yards in order to play difficult. Clearly more of the field than ever has a chance this time around - will be great to see different faces challenging for a major that we normally maybe wouldn't see.

Far as picks, yea give me TW right off the bat. No he doesn't normally fair well on par 70 layouts - but this Tiger is also hitting more fairways now. His game has changed in that he no longer tries to overpower golf course - more than ever he is hitting irons and fairway woods off of the tee. As is normally the case, if he can find the short grass - he will be around on Sunday. I also like Snedeker, Dufner, Haas, and of course Kooch.

We had our club's "Open" this past weekend. Rained again as it has for the last 4 years. Course was fairly wet and scoring seemed tough. Usually many of the city young players come down and a handful shoot 3 or 4 under. This year a member won at -1 after one playoff whole, against a somewhat local but non-member from a course 20 minutes away. Was nice to see one of the members win it for the first time in probably 15 years. He's a scratch golfer, but usually doesn't see the usual 5 under it takes to win. Usually is fairly constant around par.

The US Open is just a week away...for a few of us, it is one of our favorite sports weekends of the year. For most, probably not, but still a weekend of interest. So, to start off the US Open discussion, I thought I would list my top ten favorties and other possible contenders. Should be a great tournament this year!

Top Ten:

1. Graeme McDowell- The consummate U.S.Open type of player. Accurate...stays out of the rough...can putt under pressure. I think McDowell is going to eventually pick up a second US Open title...this week is as good a week as any.

2. Hunter Mahan- I am fully aware that Mahan was dreadful at the Masters this year, but I've got a hunch about him this week. I think he's been slowly trending up since Augusta and is going to get himself deep into the mix at Merion.

3. Jason Day- Much like McDowell, Day is a grinder and a guy that I think will do very well scrambling at Merion when necessary. Day has been top-3 at the US Open before as well as the Masters and I think he will be again.

4. Matt Kuchar- Kuchar has been the most consistent player in the world over the past five years and should contend at Merion based on recent form. I think he will get in trouble off the tee some, though, which will cost him his first major.

5. Steve Stricker- Stricker is in semi-retirement, and so he'll be extremely fresh for this tournament. The course isn't too long for him and no greens are too tough for him. That's a formula for a top-five finish for this longtime great.

6. Tiger Woods- This is a Par-70 course and even though Woods is having a fantastic year by any standard, he typically doesn't win at Par-70 tracks. I do think he'll contend, but in the end fall a bit short of winning his first major in five years.

7. Matteo Manassero- Europe's rising star gets the benefit of a course that is not long by US Open standards and gives him a chance to show off his amazing short game. Probably won't win this, but will impress, I think.

8. Kevin Chappell- Chappell is coming off back-to-back top ten finishes in the past two US Opens and was solo second at the Memorial last weekend. He plays great when the conditions are the toughest. Expect good things again this year.

9. Jordan Spieth- I know Spieth is green, but he impressed me last year by finishing T-21. He's been playing well all year on the PGA Tour via sponsor's exemptions and I think this will be his best week yet when all is said and done.

10. Ryan Moore- Moore always puts up a few big numbers on his scorecard and that usually kills his chances of winning the biggest tournaments. Still, I think his game is a good fit for Merion and look for him to be in contention sometime on the weekend.

Players outside of the top ten who have a very legitimate shot at winning: Adam Scott, Justin Rose, Lee Westwood, Phil Mickelson, Webb Simpson, Charl Schwartzel, Keegan Bradley, Zach Johnson, Henrik Stenson.

Players who were on fire earlier in the season and could re-kindle that next week: Brandt Snedeker, Dustin Johnson, Billy Horschel, D.A. Points, Kevin Streelman, Russell Henley

Highly ranked players who have been inconsistent in 2013, but have the talent to win: Rory McIlroy, Luke Donald, Louis Oosthuzien, Ian Poulter, Bubba Watson, Ernie Els, Bo Van Pelt, Rickie Fowler.

Darkhorses, but with plenty of game: Sergio Garcia, Jason Dufner, Peter Hanson, Nick Watney, Branden Grace, Bill Haas, Thorbjorn Olesen, Gonzalo Fernandez-Castano, Scott Piercy, Tim Clark, Michael Thompson, Fredrik Jacobson, Marc Leishman, K.J. Choi, John Peterson, John Senden, David Toms, Marcus Fraser, Charley Hoffman, Josh Teater, David Lingmerth.

Other past major winners in the field: Jim Furyk, Martin Kaymer, Paul Lawrie, Angel Cabrera, Michael Campbell, Lucas Glover, Geoff Ogilvy, Stewart Cink, Darren Clarke, Paidrig Harrington, Y.E. Yang, Jose Maria Olazabal.

In case anybody has said it lately, thank you Fumble for putting this together each time there is a major. I always enjoy your thoughts. I love your pick of McDowell. He's one of my favorites. Having said that, I am going to go ahead and take Kuchar as my first pick. My second pick is going to be Rickie Fowler. He's so darn talented.

speaking of picks, we should do a draft for the US Open

speaking of picks, we should do a draft for the US Open

I would love it if we could try this out on my website that I started before, kind of rolled back in for changes, and am getting ready to roll out again for football season. But it would work great for a Geek US Open pool.

It's easy, you just pick 5 golfers a day, and how they do is how you do.

There are 30 golfers to choose from each day; we would do 30 morning starters on Thursday, 30 morning starters on Friday, then 30 guys that made the cut on Saturday, then 30 guys in contention on Sunday.

Thursday and Friday we would add up the scores and low total would get the most points. Saturday we could do the same, or maybe switch it up and go for the high scores, so the object would be to pick the guys that go backwards (choke) on moving day. On Sunday we would do it by final position (add up all the places your guys come in 1st+2nd+5th etc.), low total wins.

The nice thing is you can pick whomever you want, so you don't get screwed in the draft. And, you will have 5 guys to root for every day, if your guy misses the cut you will get to choose new guys the next day. You can get a feel for the course and try to see who is hot and ready to make a move.

Let me know if you want to try it here, and I will set up a group for us. I would also love to get some feedback on the site after it's done.

PS: I also have the option of setting up team play where we could put Geeks in teams from 2-7 people and play against each other. If we could find a way to team up, I would be happy to set up a league.

I'd be in for a draft, but my suggestion is to keep it simple. 10 team, six round snake draft.

Go fock yourselves. :banana:

The 18th hole, made famous by Hogan's 1-iron approach shot, has been stretched a bit. It will now play as a 521-yard par 4, wow.

The 18th hole, made famous by Hogan's 1-iron approach shot, has been stretched a bit. It will now play as a 521-yard par 4, wow.

WOW! I would need driver, 3 wood, eight iron just to reach it in three and putt for a par.

I would love it if we could try this out on my website that I started before, kind of rolled back in for changes, and am getting ready to roll out again for football season. But it would work great for a Geek US Open pool.

It's easy, you just pick 5 golfers a day, and how they do is how you do.

There are 30 golfers to choose from each day; we would do 30 morning starters on Thursday, 30 morning starters on Friday, then 30 guys that made the cut on Saturday, then 30 guys in contention on Sunday.

Thursday and Friday we would add up the scores and low total would get the most points. Saturday we could do the same, or maybe switch it up and go for the high scores, so the object would be to pick the guys that go backwards (choke) on moving day. On Sunday we would do it by final position (add up all the places your guys come in 1st+2nd+5th etc.), low total wins.

The nice thing is you can pick whomever you want, so you don't get screwed in the draft. And, you will have 5 guys to root for every day, if your guy misses the cut you will get to choose new guys the next day. You can get a feel for the course and try to see who is hot and ready to make a move.

Let me know if you want to try it here, and I will set up a group for us. I would also love to get some feedback on the site after it's done.

PS: I also have the option of setting up team play where we could put Geeks in teams from 2-7 people and play against each other. If we could find a way to team up, I would be happy to set up a league.

I'm definitely in for a draft! I agree with the "keep it simple" comment.

I'm definitely in for a draft! I agree with the "keep it simple" comment.

This is as simple as it gets, just choosing 5 players/day.

I set up a group, so you just need to register/login, then join the group. After you login, go to the my groups-join group page and input the following, and you will be in.

http://www.MyFantasyFive.com

Group Name: fftoday (all lower case)

Password: gfiafp

I will put in the players for Thursday and you can make your selections as soon as the tee times are announced.

I was hoping for something more along the lines of ksb's suggestion. A snake draft

Well it's officially US Open week! :banana:

Unfortunately Mother Nature is dumping gallons and gallons of water on the the place. Much like last year at Cogressional we will not see traditional Open conditions. Yea the rough will be nasty and yes the course will play longer than normal - but the greens will be receptive and we could possibly see scores in the 7-12 under par range.

“It’s really two different golf courses,” said Webb Simpson, the defending United States Open champion who played at Merion when it hosted the 2005 United States Amateur. “Potentially, through 13 holes, if you drive it well, you can have nine wedge opportunities to the greens. And then the last five holes are going to be some of maybe the hardest that we have ever had in the U.S. Open. So you kind of have the best of both worlds.

I've heard we'll see more wedges than ever. 2 years ago I'd have picked Luke Donald, but he doesn't have it.

It was great to see Phil play well this past weekend. I admittedly find my interest level doubled when either Phil, Tiger, or Rory are there on Sunday. So anything that is indicative of more of them being in play is fine by me.

Sticking with Mantessero for my dark horse pick.

TW, Rory, and A. Scott paired 2gether the first 2 days - juicy shiat there boy. :thumbsup:

Since it doesn't appear we are doing a draft here, I'm in a US Open 10 team 4 round snake draft in two days. It's 50 bucks a man so I really would like to win this thing. I need to make up my cheat sheet. Any help is appreciated. :thumbsup:

1. Tiger

2. Kuchar

3. Rory

4. Scott

5. Mickleson

6. Mcdowell

7. Rose

8. Sneds

9. Westwood

10. Donald

11. Scwartzel

12. Stricker

13. Bradley

14. Day

15. Furyk

16. Simpson, W.

17. Johnson, D.

18. Dufner

19. Oostheizen

20. Mahan

21. Mantaserro

22. Stenson, H

23. Johnson, Z

24. Clark, T

25. Haas

26. Watson, Bubba

27. Weekly,B

28. Fowler,R

29. Sergio

30. Ernie

You've got my cheatsheet in the original post...

We can still do the pool at my fantasy 5, it will take you less than 3 minutes to login/register and make your picks for Thursday. You need to make your selections anytime before 4 am PDT on Thursday.

This is as simple as it gets, just choosing 5 players/day.

I set up a group, so you just need to register/login, then join the group. After you login, go to the my groups-join group page and input the following, and you will be in.

http://www.MyFantasyFive.com

Group Name: fftoday (all lower case)

Password: gfiafp

I will put in the players for Thursday and you can make your selections as soon as the tee times are announced.

Since it doesn't appear we are doing a draft here, I'm in a US Open 10 team 4 round snake draft in two days. It's 50 bucks a man so I really would like to win this thing. I need to make up my cheat sheet. Any help is appreciated. :thumbsup:

1. Tiger

2. Kuchar

3. Rory

4. Scott

5. Mickleson

6. Mcdowell

7. Rose

8. Sneds

9. Westwood

10. Donald

11. Scwartzel

12. Stricker

13. Bradley

14. Day

15. Furyk

16. Simpson, W.

17. Johnson, D.

18. Dufner

19. Oostheizen

20. Mahan

21. Mantaserro

22. Stenson, H

23. Johnson, Z

24. Clark, T

25. Haas

26. Watson, Bubba

27. Weekly,B

28. Fowler,R

29. Sergio

30. Ernie

i'd let someone else go with rory. just can't see it.

i'd let someone else go with rory. just can't see it.

I agree that I don't see it with Rory. But really, he still has to be a top 5 pick. Besides Tiger, he is the only guy in the field that you can argue "if he gets it going, tournament likely over".

Last year, heading into the PGA which he won by 25 shots: MC, MC, MC, 7th, MC, 10th, 60th, 5th.

Point being, he doesn't necessarily have to be hot coming in. Not that I'm picking him.

Not many US Open quality courses in the west/plains. Last I seen was Southern Hills in Oklahoma in 2001. Does Texas not have any venues? Or deep south for that matter.

1. Tiger

2. Kuchar

3. Rory

4. Scott

5. Mickleson

6. Mcdowell

7. Rose

8. Sneds

9. Westwood

10. Donald

11. Scwartzel

12. Stricker

13. Bradley

14. Day

15. Furyk

16. Simpson, W.

17. Johnson, D.

18. Dufner

19. Oostheizen

20. Mahan

21. Mantaserro

22. Stenson, H

23. Johnson, Z

24. Clark, T

25. Haas

26. Watson, Bubba

27. Weekly,B

28. Fowler,R

29. Sergio

30. Ernie

It's the US Open, most difficult tournament to win or predict on tour. With soft conditions and 7 par 4's under 420 yards - damn near anyone on this list could win. The only one I"d eliminate would be W. Simpson. And no knock on him, it's just that repeat Open champions don't grow on trees. Those that do are of HOF status - Webb isn't..... In lieu of the recent wet/soft conditions - I'll add Tim Clark and Zack Johnson to my list of "watch out" for this week.

It's the US Open, most difficult tournament to win or predict on tour. With soft conditions and 7 par 4's under 420 yards - damn near anyone on this list could win. The only one I"d eliminate would be W. Simpson. And no knock on him, it's just that repeat Open champions don't grow on trees. Those that do are of HOF status - Webb isn't..... In lieu of the recent wet/soft conditions - I'll add Tim Clark and Zack Johnson to my list of "watch out" for this week.

Yeah thanks. I'm thinking guys like Bubba Watson and even Dustin Johnson will be avoids for me. And guys like Zach, Clark and Mattesero seems to be a popular pick by the golf geeks here too. Those three will be higher on my cheat sheet than others.

My only concern is who to take first round. If you don't get Tiger its a damn crapshoot after that. As mentioned Rory is struggling, Westwood is always a bust, Is Phil or Kuchar the number two pick? Adam Scott?

Normally the first round is the easiest to pick in things like this, not this time.

Fumble - I really like your top 6. :thumbsup:

Not many US Open quality courses in the west/plains. Last I seen was Southern Hills in Oklahoma in 2001. Does Texas not have any venues? Or deep south for that matter.

I think it's just too hot in Texas for a Major in June. We are supposed to have highs around 97 degrees the rest of the week, with some saying we'll hit 100 on Thursday.

I think it's just too hot in Texas for a Major in June. We are supposed to have highs around 97 degrees the rest of the week, with some saying we'll hit 100 on Thursday.

You pretty much have it dead on here - simply too hot in Texas and the rest of the South to host an Open. Southern Hills is about as far down as they come, and even there, it is a scorcher. They would have to constantly water the bentgrass greens during the round just to keep them alive - and that of course would defeat the purpose of drying them out rock hard and making them difficult.

Tell you this - if Luke Donald can't win this US Open, he is never going to win one. Short track, soft conditions, par 70 - is juicy as it's going to get for him.

My only concern is who to take first round. If you don't get Tiger its a damn crapshoot after that. As mentioned Rory is struggling, Westwood is always a bust, Is Phil or Kuchar the number two pick? Adam Scott?

Normally the first round is the easiest to pick in things like this, not this time.

If I were actually making a top 10 list (which I guess I now am), it would look something like (exactly like) this:

1. Tiger

2. Mcdowell

3. Kuchar

I think the top 3 here are virtual locks for top 20 finishes. Kuchar due to form, Mcdowell due to his US Open record as he has finished 18th, 1st, 14th, and 2nd since he became a fixture.

4. Scott

5. Rory

Scott is doing the Tiger thing in which he only plays giant tournaments and bases everything on Majors. So far so good....... As I pointed out earlier. Rory looked like crap with 4 of 8 tournaments being missed cuts heading into the PGA last year. His form is bad, but he is the other guy with the talent to lap the field.

6. Mickleson

7. Donald

Donald is often called the best wedge player on tour. There will be more wedges in than ever.

8. Bradley

9. Scwartzel

10. Mantaserro

Mantaserro is obviously a dark horse guy that I'm elevating based on my gut instinct.

Heat makes sense. They used to have a few back In the day down south but have shyed completely away from it.

Interesting that many pro golfers come from the south based on ability to play year round. But majors and much of the schedule is held on the coasts and north.

Would love to play golf year round. But not sure I'd trade it in for the heat the south sees from May to September. I'd rather play on a 50 degree day than a 90.

For whatever reason Manassero seems to be the sexy pick. Certainly has game, but I'm not buying the hype.