Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

**2013 U.S. Open Thread**

Would love to play golf year round. But not sure I'd trade it in for the heat the south sees from May to September. I'd rather play on a 50 degree day than a 90.

Yea, the South has its plus and minuses. It's nothing for the heat index to exceed 110 degrees here during July/August. Not even counting the players - the crowds would be in great danger if exposed to temps like that following the action.

Interesting that many pro golfers come from the south based on ability to play year round. But majors and much of the schedule is held on the coasts and north.

Think about it. They play in perfect weather all year. It's genius.

Jan-Feb: West coast where it's not cold.

March: Florida

April-May: The south. Texas, Georgia, Louisiana, SC, etc...Before it gets hot.

June-Sept: Move north out of the heat. Ohio, PA, CN, Canada, WV, ILL, MA, etc.

Then the golfers retreat to the 3 hot beds for the winter. Florida, DFW, and California. Where it stays warm enough to play all winter long, and there are no state income taxes (Florida and Texas).

Not sure about these cheatsheets. People basically have the same 7 or 8 guys on it each major. Then a couple guys that are hot or whatever. It is like NFL projections....they take last years and tweak them a little and say they are new projections.

Golf is a crapshoot. In a draft everyone is going to take the big names first.

The heat is pretty bad at times, the older I get the more I start to notice it. But I love playing early in the morning, knocking out 27 sometimes - then heading home to lounge by the pool. Wouldn't trade it for the North's winters - ever.

The heat is pretty bad at times, the older I get the more I start to notice it. But I love playing early in the morning, knocking out 27 sometimes - then heading home to lounge by the pool. Wouldn't trade it for the North's winters - ever.

Depends. If you like to snow mobile or ski/snowboard it is nice to have a change up in activities. I like the change of seasons. Our winters are a little too long, but in some years get out as early at mid March and as late as mid November.

If you live way south all your life 55 degrees feels like winter coat weather, where we would be golfing in shorts.

If you live north even 90 degrees is uncomfortable, where it may actually feel nice to you.

When I get older I will probably get south...not too south, maybe Carolinas.

The one thing we do have here, that is annoying as hell, is the wind. Good gosh if focking blows 20 mph all the time, often even more. A calm, 5 mph, golfing day here is about as rare as a unicorn.

This tournament is so much better than the Masters

With respect to the TV coverage, you are 100% correct. I love the Masters, but their lack of TV coverage gets old.

With respect to the TV coverage, you are 100% correct. I love the Masters, but their lack of TV coverage gets old.

I do wish they showed more of the morning rounds on television, however the one thing about the Masters I love is that when it is on, there are very little commericals. Almost none.

I do wish they showed more of the morning rounds on television, however the one thing about the Masters I love is that when it is on, there are very little commericals. Almost none.

I think thats a tradition, unlike any other. :dunno:

Well, not much of a pool as only Fumbleweed and I signed up so far. Spongebob74, you signed up for the site and made your picks, but make sure you register for the fftoday group. I don't understand why such reluctance, as:

1. It is quick and easy, 5 minutes tops to register and make your picks

2. You can pick whomever you want, so no one gets stolen from you by an unfortunate draft position

3. It will make the US Open much more entertaining

4. It's FREE!

5. You won't get spammed

6. Competition

7. Bragging rights

8. You will have interest for all 4 rounds, 5 rounds if there is a playoff

9. You will have guys in it come Sunday afternoon, guaranteed

10. If you're reading this far, you like golf and fantasy sports, so play the game!

The game locks at 4 am PDT Tomorrow

This is as simple as it gets, just choosing 5 players/day.

I set up a group, so you just need to register/login, then join the group. After you login, go to the my groups-join group page and input the following, and you will be in.

http://www.MyFantasyFive.com

Group Name: fftoday (all lower case)

Password: gfiafp

I will put in the players for Thursday and you can make your selections as soon as the tee times are announced.

Well, not much of a pool as only Fumbleweed and I signed up so far. Spongebob74, you signed up for the site and made your picks, but make sure you register for the fftoday group. I don't understand why such reluctance, as:

1. It is quick and easy, 5 minutes tops to register and make your picks

2. You can pick whomever you want, so no one gets stolen from you by an unfortunate draft position

4. It's FREE!

5. You won't get spammed

6. Competition

7. Bragging rights

8. You will have interest for all 4 rounds, 5 rounds if there is a playoff

9. You will have guys in it come Sunday afternoon, guaranteed

10. If you're reading this far, you like golf and fantasy sports, so play the game!

The game locks at 4 am PDT Tomorrow

What's up with this guy? :dunno:

When you're as big of a golf nerd as me, you don't really need anything to make our Open more entertaining. I'm juiced to the 9's w/out any gimmicks - a fantasy draft just doesn't grab me. History and seeing famed Merion does though.

When you're as big of a golf nerd as me, you don't really need anything to make our Open more entertaining. I'm juiced to the 9's w/out any gimmicks - a fantasy draft just doesn't grab me. History and seeing famed Merion does though.

Now this I get, because I'm pretty geeked for the Open too. My favorite tourney of the year. I sure hope the weather cooperates enough to make it a great week.

Seriously, what is up with all of the rain? I know we always need it, just seems the tour has been blanketed by storms everytime the pull for a stop. I hear some real nasty ones are on the way - might be looking at a Monday finish.

Props to Mickelson - he's attending his daughter's 8th grade graduation tonight, in Cali. Then he's jumping on a plane, private I'm sure, and flying xross country for his 7:30 a.m. tee time 2morow - or whatever it is, I know it's an early one.

i'd really love to see him win a us open before hes done. won't be this one but he deserves one. some might say he doesn't after that bone headed 18th at winged foot

i'd really love to see him win a us open before hes done. won't be this one but he deserves one. some might say he doesn't after that bone headed 18th at winged foot

I have a feeling that was his shot.

But yeah, I'd like to see him get a US Open more than I'd like to see any other golfer get any particular tournament.

I felt the way Phil played that final round of the '99 Open at Pinehurst that he more than anyone deserved to win one. What an incredible display of golf and short game he put one that Sunday. However, after the complete debacle and meltdown at Winged Foot, I took it back - the US Open gift horse showed up on his porch and he slammed the door on him.

Just completed our draft. I had #12 pick out of 13.

1.12 Furyk

2.02 Day

3.12 Manassero

4.02 Spieth

Meh. The two guys that went between my furyk and day pics were Declinio Garcia and Schwartzel

Just completed our draft. I had #12 pick out of 13.

1.12 Furyk

2.02 Day

3.12 Manassero

4.02 Spieth

Meh. The two guys that went between my furyk and day pics were Declinio Garcia and Schwartzel

Furyk has to be licking his chops, prolly the best chance he'll ever see again to win another Open. I like Spieth too - this kid is going to be a fixture on tour for a long, long time.

Reading through some tournament picks....

whereas most of these guys have never played Merion, Rickie Fowler was 4-0 there in the 2009 Walker Cup.

I like playing in the heat. It doesn't bother me at all. Played last Saturday at noon and it was 103 with the heat index. Two of the guys I played with won't playing at noon again until October. One of them b!tched and complained the entire round to the point that I told him he should quit golf and take up indoor horseshoes. He's 30.

I once played a round a few years back that the temp on the course at 1:00 was 115 with the heat index. No breeze except the when we were driving in the cart. Ended up being the hottest day of the year. My buddies were soaking wet from sweat and had barely broken a sweat by the turn. 2/1 Beer to water works for me and I don't even notice the heat thanks to the beers.

I'm afraid weather is going to be the story for the first two days here. Weekend looks great, but going to suck having groups going off Saturday morning to start their first round. :bench:

I'm afraid weather is going to be the story for the first two days here. Weekend looks great, but going to suck having groups going off Saturday morning to start their first round. :bench:

I'm ok with total chaos as long as we somehow get a normally grouped Sunday finish.

That said, it seems pretty unlikely. :thumbsdown:

Ah, my neck of the woods.

Today, the rain is coming down at a ridiculous level. Watching it outside our office windows is somewhat mesmerizing and/or hypnotic.

However, tomorrow, the rain if more iffy. Might remain overcast most of the day. The issue will be drying out the course. Lots of luck. I was thinking about hitting my local course on Saturday, and I've given up on that completely, given the likelyhood of lake sized puddles everywhere and mud clinging to everything.

Well due to house projects and graduation traveling, I've not played in 3 weeks. Taking my pop to play Sunday and maybe now I will try and play Saturday too. Sunny, hot, and 98 degrees this weekend here, no signs of rain.

A guy in the office told me I could pick any 5 players and he got the field for 100 bucks. I agreed and Took Woods, McDowell, Kutcher, Rory, and J. Rose.

Sergio just quad'd a par 4 - took an 8. His fried chicken talk'n ass is +6 after 6. :D

So much for Merion being too easy of a course...it is kicking these guys' butts.

So much for Merion being too easy of a course...it is kicking these guys' butts.

And it's as soft and easy as it's going to play...... Great round by Mickelson - guess getting in at 4:30 a.m. was bad after all.

Who ever said Merion was an easy course? It's a lot tougher than the 2 Open courses here in Chicago - Medinah and Olympia Fields.

Who ever said Merion was an easy course? It's a lot tougher than the 2 Open courses here in Chicago - Medinah and Olympia Fields.

Well the general sentiment (for decades now) was Merion was outdated, too short, too easy, for today's players - and certainly for another Open championship. Even stretched out she is still just shy of 7000 yards. But just like Harbor Town, Merion is a great example of a track not having to be 7500 yards to challenge the world's best. I hope Mike Davis and his team take full notice of this and not only put her back in the regular rotation, but bring back some short classics like Inverness, and even Cherry Hills.

Happy to see Phil shoot 67 first round. He played well and made some decent putts. Cool course. I love it.

hope im wrong!

hope im wrong!

With all the short shots into greens, and he being one of the best wedge players of all time - he certainly has a great shot to be there Sunday.... But the wind and conditions are suppose to be extremely ugly today - we are going to see people disappear from the leaderboard almost in an instant.

Really pulling for a local amatuear out there. Grayson Murray. He's +6 so needs a good round today to make the cut which would be like winning the whole thing for an (a). I've played golf several times with him as he plays a lot at the same course(s) my group plays and is friends with a buddy of mine. We've known him and played golf with him since he was like a sophmore in High School. He was a kid and would play in our golf groups and wear us out.

He qualified and made the US Open this year. Really cool to actually know somebody and see their name on the leaderboards when I go and look. Just thougtht I'd share. :thumbsup:

TW, Rory, and Scott about to tee off on the live stream - featured group of the day.

It would be terrific if Tiger Woods doesn't make the cut, but Garcia does. :banana:

A guy in the office told me I could pick any 5 players and he got the field for 100 bucks. I agreed and Took Woods, McDowell, Kutcher, Rory, and J. Rose.

I would take the guy's in the office bet on this all day